Which small-school WR will Teddy hit on?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's hit with small school guys from Western Michigan, San Jose State, Kansas State, Kentucky whereas earlier picked, higher rated WR's from Florida, USC, Texas, Ohio State, LSU, Alabama, all flopped and bombed out.

Who will it be this year?
They say this class is deep at WR.

I would expect one of his two 3rd round picks to be a WR, but not shocked if he took one in the 2nd round. From Fresno State.

http://www.packersmagazine.com/widereceivers.html

A walk back, might offer some clues.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Torrence Allen | WR | West Texas A&M
Dayvon Ross | WR | Central State
Diante Jackson | WR | Whittier
Jeremy Butler | WR | UTM
Jon Krause | WR | Vanderbilt
Cody Latimer | WR | Indiana
John Brown | WR/RS | Pittsburgh State
Austin Franklin | WR | New Mexico State
Matt Hazel | WR | Coastal Carolina
Brandon Coleman | WR | Rutgers
Jared Abbrederis | WR | Wisconsin
Jalen Saunders | WR | Oklahoma

Any of those guys, in no particular order. Latimer is square in Ted's wheelhouse though.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
South Carolina is not a small program but I have seen some recent mocks with Packers taking Bruce Ellington WR in 3rd.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not necessarily a small school but L'Damian Washington from MU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Torrence Allen | WR | West Texas A&M

Cody Latimer | WR | Indiana

Any of those guys, in no particular order. Latimer is square in Ted's wheelhouse though.
Tweeted with Allen this week. He's definitely a Packer character player. I'd not be shocked to see him taken by us.

Latimer is going in round one now it sounds like.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Tweeted with Allen this week. He's definitely a Packer character player. I'd not be shocked to see him taken by us.

Latimer is going in round one now it sounds like.
Matt Miller started a rumor that he's the 4th WR on our board. Big draft had him as a 5th rounder just weeks ago.

H

HardRightEdge

He's hit with small school guys from Western Michigan, San Jose State, Kansas State, Kentucky whereas earlier picked, higher rated WR's from Florida, USC, Texas, Ohio State, LSU, Alabama, all flopped and bombed out.

Who will it be this year?
They say this class is deep at WR.

I would expect one of his two 3rd round picks to be a WR, but not shocked if he took one in the 2nd round. From Fresno State.

http://www.packersmagazine.com/widereceivers.html

A walk back, might offer some clues.
Calling Western Michigan, San Jose State, Kansas State, Kentucky or Fresno State "small schools" is a peculiar way to look at it and misses the point. All of these teams play in BCS conferences; in particular Kentucky plays in the SEC for gosh sakes and K. State in the Big 12.

You seem to have confused "less than elite program" with "small school" when the critical distinction is not whether a player comes from a winning program...it's about level of competition.

Saginaw Valley State or Pittsburgh State are a long, long way from the MAC or Mountain West Conferences

H

HardRightEdge

Matt Miller started a rumor that he's the 4th WR on our board. Big draft had him as a 5th rounder just weeks ago.
I assume you're referring to Latimer, not Allen. Allen might be 4th. on Thompson's UDFA board.

It would not surprise me if Latimer was 4th. on Thompson's board, particularly if that board does not include Watkins and Evans under the assumption they'll be gone.

In keeping with my belief we'll go upper-round for a WR, I'd be happy if we were able to get him in the second round. Unlike Janis, this is a polished player. Fluid, good body control and good use of his size on those slant after slant after slant routes I see him running in one highlight tape. It's not hard to see why some think he's a West Coasty kind of guy, though I would characterize GB's offense as more of a hybrid.

Size, athleticism and fundamentals look pretty darn good, especially if one shares my thinking that Nelson will be a FA casualty next off-season. He'll make somebody a good possession receiver who also has the speed to break plays and get down field. This guy is far more worthy of a Nelson comparison than Janis.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calling Western Michigan, San Jose State, Kansas State, Kentucky or Fresno State "small schools" is a peculiar way to look at it and misses the point. All of these teams play in BCS conferences; in particular Kentucky plays in the SEC for gosh sakes and K. State in the Big 12.
Nobody here had ever seen Greg Jennings at Western Michigan play in college.
Nobody here had seen James Jones and San Jose St play.
Fresno and K-State and Kentucky? These are not perennial top-20 or top-40 teams. Kentucky is usually about the 8th, 9th, 10th best team in the SEC.

K-State?
They don't get much love nationally or even here in Texas.

While guys from Florida, USC, Ohio State, Alabama OFTEN are busts, we have seen a lot of WRs from smaller, less factory-ish schools have WRs taken later who succeed. And Thompson has the best track record of any GM in this regard.

Looking forward to seeing which WR he takes next week.