What I saw in Chargers vs Chiefs

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Chargers route combinations is what makes Rivers so productive. Yes, he’s a future HOF but watching the route concepts the Chargers have for their WRs mad me realize even more how lame ours really are...and why Rodgers has to hold the ball soooo long at times. Rivers is a bigger stiff than Brady, could you imagine him in our offense? He’d be retired from getting sacked so much. On the other hand? If Rodgers played in their offense he’d throw for 4,500 yds and 40 touchdowns every year easily.

I hope the new guy can extend Rodgers career by bringing in a system where he can get the ball out, and through his progressions quickly. Man the Chargers are the type of team that make you wonder how good the Packers could actually be if they had a better offensive scheme.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Chargers route combinations is what makes Rivers so productive. Yes, he’s a future HOF but watching the route concepts the Chargers have for their WRs mad me realize even more how lame ours really are...and why Rodgers has to hold the ball soooo long at times. Rivers is a bigger stiff than Brady, could you imagine him in our offense? He’d be retired from getting sacked so much. On the other hand? If Rodgers played in their offense he’d throw for 4,500 yds and 40 touchdowns every year easily.

I hope the new guy can extend Rodgers career by bringing in a system where he can get the ball out, and through his progressions quickly. Man the Chargers are the type of team that make you wonder how good the Packers could actually be if they had a better offensive scheme.

I've been wondering why nobody's been talking about us hiring Whisenhunt as our next HC. He's the architect of that scheme.

Reaction score
Hopefully our couching staff will use this game as a training film.
Those two teams were fun to watch.

The Packers have a lot of problems people

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been wondering why nobody's been talking about us hiring Whisenhunt as our next HC. He's the architect of that scheme.

I don’t know about as the HC...but definitely maybe as the OC. Rivers made some greatbthdows but his guys were open for the most part. Combination routes work. The Packers do run them but they usually don’t have anything built underneath.

Reaction score
great game. both deserved to win. if i got anything out of this game was how bad refereeing has become. defenses are just becoming obsolete with all these stupid flags. we all like offense but come on man

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
give a specific example. I see Rivers throwing the ball to a spot and letting a receiver go try and get it. Resulted in a few bad plays too. I see Rodgers refuse to even look at an open receiver sometimes because he doesn't "trust" them. Of course I saw Rodgers with his receivers light up this league too. But having 1 pass catcher in the system for more than 1 year, and a banged up oline and QB for half a season doesn't have anything to do with the results this year right?

So, find a play, and then point out specifically what's so different than anything GB has ever done. You keep saying you can do it, yet you never do?

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t know about as the HC...but definitely maybe as the OC. Rivers made some greatbthdows but his guys were open for the most part. Combination routes work. The Packers do run them but they usually don’t have anything built underneath.

I think it would have to be as a HC, assuming of course that he's under contract on the Chargers for more than one year.

I don't think he'd be bad as a HC here either. I know what happened in Tennessee and that may have damaged his HC resume a bit, but I think that was just simply him being the wrong fit for that team and the way it's built. I feel like we have some of the kind of players he would need to run his scheme and Gute would probably be flexible enough to get him more.

Not to mention his resume has had its highest marks working with veteran QBs. He brought Kurt Warner back from the dead in Arizona and thus far has been doing it for Rivers. I'd like to think that kind of rapport would be a good thing for Rodgers possibly getting him back to that 45/6 td-int ratio he had at his apex.

H

HardRightEdge

What I saw was Rivers putting up a gamer's performance behind a team with no quit against a defense that must win in the pass rush because they are vulnerable in the back end even with Eric Berry's return.

This combination route critique is a little dated. The Packers have been running their fair share of those routes these days. It doesn't help when, for example, Graham gets called for a pick downfield. Who does that? The other problem has been inexperience at the wideout position and in the slot when Cobb isn't in there or a there's a less than 100% Cobb on the field if not a permanent erosion in his quickness.

Further, beyond playing with a broken thumb, Graham's problem is not so much a decline in athleticism as evidenced in the following which is why he still gets attention:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

It's that Graham is not a very sophisticated route runner, believe it or not, and is not in tune with his QB, which are two sides of the same coin. We got a look at that on that long ball broken up at the goal line at the end of the first quarter last week. Graham looks inside, then outside, then inside, then outside--he has no idea where Rodgers is going to put the ball and I doubt Rodgers threw that ball with much confidence in where Graham is going.

Rodgers' Priority #1 is not throwing picks, an admirable trait, complaints in these pages notwithstanding. The Atlanta game notwithstanding, that priority being in high relief is partially attributable to Rodgers lack of mobility up until the last few game, but may also be partially attributable to the inability of the defense to get their share of ***-for-tat turnovers. And if he's not terribly confident in where his guys (other than Adams) are going to make their break, trying to throw them open in the middle of field is high risk proposition. Rodgers help needs to elevate their games. We'll have to see how these rookies do in year 2, where Allison is at, whether Graham can achieve some kind of mind meld if he's still around, and what any newcomers can bring to the party.

As for the Atlanta game, fantasy players may be disappointed with those 196 yards but I'd have to say Rodgers played an outstanding game given that patchwork O-Line. You want to turn him into some pocket passing, quick throw game manage? First of all, it's never going to happen. Second, with this talent, if he doesn't extend plays and use his legs you don't win that game or others to come like it.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not saying Whisenhunt had the best rosters to work with, but he went 21-50 his last four and a half years as a head coach. He's probably better off as an OC.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying Whisenhunt had the best rosters to work with, but he went 21-50 his last four and a half years as a head coach. He's probably better off as an OC.

Those results are definitely the talent-level deficit as well as being on the wrong team wrong time (Titans). I really don't believe his being the HC or OC would have made a difference.

I wouldn't want Whiz if we were trying to totally build this team from scratch with a new QB and everything. He's definitely not shown he can do that. But when you're looking for a guy who can put a very talented QB in position to let the offense take off, he's certainly shown he can do that.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Chargers route combinations is what makes Rivers so productive. Yes, he’s a future HOF but watching the route concepts the Chargers have for their WRs mad me realize even more how lame ours really are...and why Rodgers has to hold the ball soooo long at times.
Whoever the new coach is, I want to see this "lame route" problem resolved and buried in the past.

D

Deleted member 6794

Man the Chargers are the type of team that make you wonder how good the Packers could actually be if they had a better offensive scheme.

Yeah, I'm really pissed off the Packers haven't been more like the Chargers, a team that had missed the playoffs seven out of the last eight years before this season :rolleyes:

I'd like to think that kind of rapport would be a good thing for Rodgers possibly getting him back to that 45/6 td-int ratio he had at his apex.

This season Rodgers has the best TD/INT ratio of his career.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm really pissed off the Packers haven't been more like the Chargers, a team that had missed the playoffs seven out of the last eight years before this season :rolleyes:

This season Rodgers has the best TD/INT ratio of his career.

Of course you STILL missed the Entire point of my post. Amazing smh

Members online

Latest posts