Week 9: Packers in New England

TB5XSBW

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oops, your team just traded Clinton Dix. Weakens an already unimpressive secondary.

TB5XSBW

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure how you can’t see the relation. Sorry, you can’t fix stupid.

We upgraded the CB2 position. Meanwhile, you're going into Sunday night's game without your best safety. That will take time to adjust to. Much more than the time between now and the beating you're about to receive on Sunday.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe, we'll see. I don't care if Clinton Dix is gone. He wasn't exactly the engine that made this work in progress defense go. Overrated and overvalued by many is my lasting impression of the guy I often saw out of position and 2 steps late who wouldn't wrap up to tackle but once every 23 opportunities anyway

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I for one can't wait to see Brice covering Gronk, Josh Gordon, or James White! No, seriously, I'm really excited to see him cover someone for once this year...

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing I know Patriots fans and Packers fans agree on is that Belichick is a way better coach than McCarthy. That's the reason Brady has 5 rings and Rodgers only has 1. Brady even said that if Rodgers played for Belichick, he'd throw for 7000 yards every season.

D

Deleted member 6794

More talented overall than the Colts, sure. Debatable about the Bears.

The Bears most likely have more talent if you exclude the quarterback position but the Packers are the better team because of Rodgers.

Edward S Duda

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Patriots fans are such a unique breed. Patriots fans are the only fans I know that refuse to identify the weaknesses within their team. They will argue that the Patriots defense is not as bad as it really is. They will turn blue in the face arguing that the AFC East is not as bad as it really is. And when they lose it’s because, “this is the (enter team name here) super bowl. Everyone plays us so much harder than everybody else.”

Don’t get me wrong, I am the biggest Bill Belichick supporter on the planet. He’s the greatest coach of all time IMO. As long as he is on the sideline, that team has a chance to win. Give him Josh Rosen and he will go 10-6. But the fact is, the Patriots defense has some serious holes right now. If I was a Patriots fan, I would be terrified that AR12 was playing against one of the worst defenses in the league, but that’s because I’m a football fan. I don’t need to manipulate numbers to favor my argument to make my team look better than it is, but if you want to go the “homer” route then...Aaron Jones averages 6.23 yards per carry and Sony Michel only averages 4.44. So Aaron Jones is better than Sony Michel. Aaron rodgers statically is better than Tom Brady in every pure QB statistic. The only stat that Brady is better than Rodgers is wins vs losses, but that is a team stat. Jimmy Graham and Gronk are averaging almost the same yards per game and both only have 1 TD, so they are equal. Do I believe all of that? No. I just manipulated the numbers to prove my point.

Here is where the Patriots will beat us: James White lining up on the line and Gronk through the middle. Those two players will have over 100 yards. Here’s where we beat the Patriots: attack the defense, spread the ball around to different recievers and pressure Brady.

If you have watched both teams play every week, you know this is a very evenly matched football game. Patriots offense has the sedge over our offense, but our defense has the edge over the Patriots defense. Neither team has been very successful on 3rd down conversions offensively, almost dead even. The Patriots have been more much successful offensively in the red zone than the Packers. But the Packers defense has been significantly better at stopping the third down conversions than the Patriots have. New England has been better at holding the opposing team to a field goal, than GB has. GB has been better at forcing punts. Aside from this being an instant classic, it’s a well matched game. We have holes and flaws and so do the Patriots. Patriots of course have the edge overall in this game, but I wouldn’t even come close to writing the Packers off.

Also, if your going to come into a Packers forum before a matchup, don’t be a typical New England homer. You won’t find too many homers here my friend. We all know where we suck and don’t hesitate to point out our own weaknesses as fans of the sport. By the way, maybe I’ll see you at the game and buy you a beer! I’ll likely be the only girl wearing either a Bahkitari #69 jersey (while my husband wears a #69 Mason jersey) or I’ll go with my classic Bart Starr #15.

I am critical about the Pats to the point of getting banned on Patsfans.com.

The NE D is better than at first glance. Overall 16th in the NFL and actually higher ranked than GB. 9th vs the run and 19th vs the pass. https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef The passing D is somewhat skewed because the Pats give up lots of yards between the 20s and the first few games were a mess. Stafford and Bortles lit NE up. They are not top tier QBs IMO.

Division games are always tough. The Buffalo defense came to play and Brady did not pass for a TD. Going down to Miami in the heat is no picnic and neither is playing in Buffalos weather.

Im not going to write of the Packers from winning or the Pats winning. These games usually boil down to a few plays.

D

Deleted member 6794

The NE D is better than at first glance. Overall 16th in the NFL and actually higher ranked than GB. 9th vs the run and 19th vs the pass. https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef The passing D is somewhat skewed because the Pats give up lots of yards between the 20s and the first few games were a mess. Stafford and Bortles lit NE up. They are not top tier QBs IMO.

The Patriots defense has given up the fourth most touchdowns in the league. While they rank fourth in opponents passer rating because they have the second most interceptions don't expect Rodgers to turn the ball over.

OP
OP
RepStar15

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I am critical about the Pats to the point of getting banned on Patsfans.com.

Division games are always tough. The Buffalo defense came to play and Brady did not pass for a TD. Going down to Miami in the heat is no picnic and neither is playing in Buffalos weather.

Im not going to write of the Packers from winning or the Pats winning. These games usually boil down to a few plays.
I agree with mostly all of that. I have season tickets to NE, so I am very familiar with the team. What is visible on TV vs. what you see live is so vastly different. The Patriots defense does give more pressure than what you see on a stat sheet. The majority of their INTs this year came from pressure. What you don’t see on TV is all the blown coverage, which quarterbacks like Brock Osweiler/Tannehill, Desean Watson and Andrew Luck (games I saw) did not pick up on and threw to their first option. Patrick Mahomes did to an extent, but really the Patriots (and every other defense in the league just can’t magch up to the speed of that offense). I wouldn’t expect Rodgers to miss those opportunities downfield and rather fully exploit it. I expect Jimmy Graham and MVS to have their best games of the season. Patriots defense may not be facing the best offense in the league, but they are certainly facing the best QB.

On the flip side. The packers took a blow to their secondary. I expect James White and Gronk to have their best games of the season. It’s going to be a very close game, and as I have said multiple times I would never bet against Brady at home. But I do like your overall analysis in comparison to the “typical Pats fan” mentality, which being a NE fan, you are well aware of what I am talking about. I would love to see a much needed W for my boys this week, but fun fact the last two times these two teams met, the loser won the super bowl.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your team cheats to win. Must be a proud fan eh?

Not to jump on a Pats fan's side but I wouldn't be surprised if every team does what they do, just didn't get caught. Also, I love how their team isn't here to make friends or be nice, they do absolutely whatever it takes to win. They're cold and calculated, and I'm beyond jealous at their approach.

OP
OP
RepStar15

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Fun Fact: The last two times these teams met the loser won the Super Bowl.

TB5XSBW

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your D is still atrocious.

I will humor you. Let's ignore the fact that your offense isn't the type of offense that has caused issues for us in recent years. Let's say our defense is "atrocious" even though we give up fewer points than your team does.

If KC, with their insanely talented offense that's #1 in the league in points scored and has been our Achilles heel from a schematic and personnel standpoint, could not beat us in a shootout in Foxboro, how will GB, who is winless on the road, do so with a medicore offense that lacks weapons and averages only 25 PPG and is quarterbacked by a guy who can't win road games against elite teams?

I would prefer to talk about the actual matchups, but you guys aren't interested. However, the above should at least provide you with a reason as to why are way off base in your analysis.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if they play at least as good as they did last week they could win this. Rodgers needs to be better! Scott needs to be better! that said i expect a close loss. it's on the road. there's added uncertainty at safety. Gronk/Edelman eat teams alive. hope i'm wrong...but the Packers have found amazing ways to lose games this year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will humor you. Let's ignore the fact that your offense isn't the type of offense that has caused issues for us in recent years. Let's say our defense is "atrocious" even though we give up fewer points than your team does.

If KC, with their insanely talented offense that's #1 in the league in points scored and has been our Achilles heel from a schematic and personnel standpoint, could not beat us in a shootout in Foxboro, how will GB, who is winless on the road, do so with a medicore offense that lacks weapons and averages only 25 PPG and is quarterbacked by a guy who can't win road games against elite teams?

I would prefer to talk about the actual matchups, but you guys aren't interested. However, the above should at least provide you with a reason as to why are way off base in your analysis.
I don’t think you’re here to talk anything except how any way we think we can win is wrong and the Pats will win. I won’t be indulging :)

Members online

Latest posts