Week 5: Giants at Packers.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Secondary got lucky last night with Eli missing open guys for big plays. Not a good performance, just right place right time type stuff.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Secondary got lucky last night with Eli missing open guys for big plays. Not a good performance, just right place right time type stuff.
That knife cuts both ways. Giants defense was lucky Rodgers missed a couple of plays and guys were dropping catches.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

While I said that earlier (some luck involved), I also think for having a couple of back-up CB's playing, our secondary deserves some credit for playing a pretty decent game last night. Manning missed some throws, receivers dropped a few, but I was pleased with the job that Rollins and Gunter did most of the night.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Tye beat Martinez down the seam and Beckham made a good play to beat Dix for the TD. The corners did fine. Especially considering they were our 3rd and 4th corners against pretty good receivers. Manning was under duress most of the night and it showed. An excellent pass rush kept the Giants out of rythym all night.

Reaction score
Was it just me or was that Starks "fumble" after a catch not a catch? That kind of got lost in the broadcast last night. Think we only picked up 2 yards out of it, but the way it was ruled ended up costing the Giants a timeout. I think had it been recovered by the Giants, it would have been challenged by MM and ruled an incompletion.
IMO after watching replay, Starks had both hands on the ball and made a football move by turning upfield, then lost it. I think he may have been beginning an attempt at resecuring the ball and it slipped out. It was a strange looking fumble, no doubt.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every secondary gets lucky during a game. Teams miss wide open wrs. They played well. A couple passes don't change that

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We were missing our starting CBs and facing arguably the most explosive trio of WRs in the league. How dare we let a single guy get open?

Damn. Gunter, Hyde and especially Rollins earned their keep holding OBJ and company in check. A couple miss ques doesn't change that

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
We were missing our starting CBs and facing arguably the most explosive trio of WRs in the league. How dare we let a single guy get open?

Damn. Gunter, Hyde and especially Rollins earned their keep holding OBJ and company in check. A couple miss ques doesn't change that
Gunter especially seems to be impressing Capers. I think we are going to see him on the field more often.

All DB's become vulnerable if an NFL QB gets time to work through his progressions.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gunter is a limited guy, but if you can protect him well enough so that he can play to his strengths, then you may have someone.
He did a good job on Beckham.

D

Deleted member 6794

Gunter is a limited guy, but if you can protect him well enough so that he can play to his strengths, then you may have someone.

Gunter played extremely well against Beckham, not allowing the Giants star receiver to make a catch. He's limited athletically but nevertheless has the ability to turn into a decent starting cornerback.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm guessing most players that are undrafted free agents are limited in some way. Limited or not the fact remains he played a pretty damn good game Sunday night.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As an aside, I think there's getting to be a book on Beckham- he doesn't like it if you're physical with him.
Gunter was physical, and shut him down.

D

Deleted member 6794

As an aside, I think there's getting to be a book on Beckham- he doesn't like it if you're physical with him.
Gunter was physical, and shut him down.

Gunter mostly played press coverage vs. Beckham but excelled in off coverage as well.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Capers isn't the only one, especially in press. He has a knack for riding receivers and keeping them from getting in stride.
That's a great tool to master. Mike McKenzie made a good living doing that too.

H

HardRightEdge

Seems like most of the players defending our WR's have the same tool.
Actually, the way I see it is Seattle drew up the blueprint a couple of years ago that other teams have copied...2 high safety, rush 4, cover 4 or 5 with 7 in zone.

H

HardRightEdge

Aptly known as the "Aaron Blanket"
PFF did a Giant's game breakdown on Rodgers when blitzed vs. not:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-nyg-gb-grades/

While these stats are an extreme case, they serve to illustrate a point: the league has figured out that blitzing Rodgers is a losing proposition.

The correct response is what we saw in the Giants game: run the ball, control the clock, keep the defense off the field, and throw from the pocket off play action. Not having a productive TE to work the zone seams is not at all helpful. Losing Cook was unfortunate.

Nonetheless, I find myself to be "relaxed" about the situation. Against the Giants, Cobb was the Mr. First Down we saw in 2014, moving the chains on 6 of 9 catches. Adams is getting into the flow. Nelson is productive if not quite his old self. Clean up the drops and screens and it looks a lot better.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Aptly known as the "Aaron Blanket"
I've not heard that phrase before, but it sounds apt.

I have a "Capers Towel" that's gotten a lot of use when the defense p*sses away a lead. It's still in the dry cleaning wrapper so far this year. Here's a picture of how it works:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!