We Need Another Finley Thread

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Idea to lower Finley's cap # right now while still keeping the peace.

Offer him a 3 year, $22M extension right now with $9M guaranteed signing bonus and a $1M base this year, with a $4M base in 2014 and $8M base in 2015. That lowers his cap number to $4M this year, $7M next year and $11M the year after that. Of course, he could be cut after next season for a $6M cap hit, or $3M after June 1st or in 2015.

And if he produces, you've got him reasonably priced this year and next, and he still cashes in.

Love the notion ... but I think his agent would probably be looking at that $11 million number and know full well that he'd never see that paycheck....much the same way that Jennings won't see the end of his contract in Minne.

For the record, I'm a huge fan of the Finley thread that refers to him as "Jerdroppel Paddlehands". The subject line itself is golden. :) It conjured images of a more simple time and place when I first heard of Bill Schroeder being referred to as having "alligator arms".

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love the notion ... but I think his agent would probably be looking at that $11 million number and know full well that he'd never see that paycheck....much the same way that Jennings won't see the end of his contract in Minne.

For the record, I'm a huge fan of the Finley thread that refers to him as "Jerdroppel Paddlehands". The subject line itself is golden. :) It conjured images of a more simple time and place when I first heard of Bill Schroeder being referred to as having "alligator arms".

True...but a lot of contracts are structured that way. He would still collect $14M over the next 2 years ($9M signing bonus + $1M + $4M). I would have to think that would be more than he would get on the open market.

I hope they don't just throw in the towel on this since they lost Jennings. I want Finley back too, but we're paying him about double his market value this year if he keeps the same price tag. Finley has to know this, so we do have some leverage. I'd still rather lessen the hit this year while still finding an opportunity to buy an additional year or two if he breaks out.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Finley's $3 mil roster bonus is due on Wed. 3/27. It's decision time. Evidently, the deadline to pay the bonus or cut/renegotiate is sometime tomorrow according to JS Online.

If he's paid the bonus he'll assuredly not be released.

This decision will determine whether any further thought should be given to a TE in the first 2 rounds.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that Finely got his bonus he's coming out with his own line of receiver gloves:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Yeah, I guess ...... Apparently cutting him is a bad option both for the cap hit....

The dead money cap hit in releasing Finley would have been a mere $500k (1/2 of his $1 mil signing bonus).

Anyway, it looks close to official that there is no renegotiation. He'll play this year on his $8 mil deal and will be a FA after 2013.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The bad news is the $8M+, the good news is this is a contract year for him. Wilde said today that he and Demovsky have sources with the Packers that said it was either Jennings or Finley so once Jennings signed with the Vikings... Not that this is breaking news - more confirmation of the obvious.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/e...hael-finley-says-hes-staying-with-the-packers

Jermichael Finley @JermichaelF88
Ecstatic 2 b back w @packers. Best place on earth. Thank u 2 my agents & family @blakebaratz @Jhart5266. I appreciate all that u do. #pack
8:09 PM - 25 Mar 13
600 Retweets 257 favorites
The full story is the Pack were set to cut him, however, I had just picked him up in our Fantasy Football league, so I sent a few buggies over with the boys, and they explained things to TT.

Not sure why all the hate directed and Finley. He is big, fast, and a huge threat. Yes, he drops catches he should make, but he appears to me to becoming more reliable with the hands. If I were he, I would be spending 4 hrs per day on the jugs machine, or hire a couple of local HS kids to throw me 1,000 passes per day. He is already good, but if he can develop his hands - the sky is still the limit.

I'm refusing to participate in JMike threads.
Just documenting the irony. :)

Reaction score
Not sure why all the hate directed and Finley. He is big, fast, and a huge threat. Yes, he drops catches he should make, but he appears to me to becoming more reliable with the hands. If I were he, I would be spending 4 hrs per day on the jugs machine, or hire a couple of local HS kids to throw me 1,000 passes per day. He is already good, but if he can develop his hands - the sky is still the limit.

Agree with your assessment of the possibilities. You see one potential future, while I see the past. FWIW, no hate here, just disappointment so far with his inconsistency. I'll be happy to fix myself a big meal of Corvus Con Queso if he develops pass catching reliability.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Sad part is with ASJ, Fiedo, and Telfer headlining next year's TE class, the market for TE will probably be soft, meaning we probably won't get comp when he leaves. Then again, Walden got paid this offseason.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't seen a few of the posters who are known Finley "haters" post since we learned he'll be around at least another year. Probably on suicide watch. ;)

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet another season we get to watch Finley drop a bunch of balls and make ignorant comments to the media. Hopefully we draft a TE and are done with him after this season.

Maybe when we get a quality TE the Finley apologists will realize how overrated he really is.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't seen a few of the posters who are known Finley "haters" post since we learned he'll be around at least another year. Probably on suicide watch. ;)

Oh I'm here...just posted his new line of gloves above. Hopefully he at least learns to keep his mouth shut this year, but I seriously doubt that's going to happen.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I'm here...just posted his new line of gloves above. Hopefully he at least learns to keep his mouth shut this year, but I seriously doubt that's going to happen.
C'mon guys, haven't you seen all the threads and posters praising the Lord ..aka Ted Thompson. Ted Knows what he is doing!! His mistakes are rarer than hens teeth!! Finley will set the League on fire in 2013. In Ted We Trust, and don't you forget it! :)

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
C'mon guys, haven't you seen all the threads and posters praising the Lord ..aka Ted Thompson. Ted Knows what he is doing!! His mistakes are rarer than hens teeth!! Finley will set the League on fire in 2013. In Ted We Trust, and don't you forget it! :)

(forest gump voice) Brad Jones, and that's all I got to say about that.....

Members online

Latest posts