VERNAND MORENCY

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm curious. Does anyone think Vernand can shoulder the load by himself???

Everyone seems like they really want Marshawn Lynch or Willis McGahee in GB next year. I probably sound like a broken record, but decent backs can be great in the zone blocking system.

I think Vernand played better than Ahman in some games last season. He did average 4.6 yards per carry. I know that average is bloated by being a back up, but it still is very good.

Does he have fumbling issues? Besides the PHI game, he seemed hold on to the ball. (Everyone fumbled in that game though, lol)

What do you think? Could Vernand shoulder most of the load? Could we spend a third or fourth round pick on a RB to back him up, like Deshawn Wynn, Antonio Pittman, or Brian Leonard?

I think Vernand and a rookie could handle the RB duties next year. Along with Noah "Braid My" Herron as the third down back.

P.S. What do you think of that nickname for Noah? I can't tell my friends because they have no clue who he is... lol

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He won't be asked to,so it never really crossed my mind. Maybe, probably not, but he won't be asked to.

Reaction score
Personally, I don't think he can for a full season.

I could see him being a starter with a rookie being his backup and them spliting the load 50/50. However, IMO, that would only happen if things go terribly wrong in the draft (hard to imagine that happening with TT placing the emphasis he does on the draft).

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 separate posts AADP...jesus...

he's going to split time with someone. Lynch, Peterson, Rhodes, Chris Brown, whoever.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly think if they gave him a chance he wouldn't last the entire season, maybe getting a few good games here and there. I just dont see him being that good.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but decent backs can be great in the zone blocking system.

backs, plural...

the Olandis Gary's, Tatum Bell's, Mike Anderson's, Ron Dayne's, etc...that have found success in Denver due to their blocking have succeeded, but I don't think someone in the same bracket as Vernand Morency can be counted on for 250+ carries to be "the back"

I'd be more comfortable with McGahee personally, but Morency and a drafted back (Brian Leonard, Tony Hunt, Antonio Pittman) would be a solid tandem...I say Leonard and Hunt because I don't think I'd be comfortable with Morency in goal line sets...we could use a tough big back...

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Everyone seems like they really want Marshawn Lynch or Willis McGahee in GB next year. I probably sound like a broken record, but decent backs can be great in the zone blocking system.

I think Vernand played better than Ahman in some games last season. He did average 4.6 yards per carry. I know that average is bloated by being a back up, but it still is very good.

Does he have fumbling issues? Besides the PHI game, he seemed hold on to the ball. (Everyone fumbled in that game though, lol)

What do you think? Could Vernand shoulder most of the load? Could we spend a third or fourth round pick on a RB to back him up, like Deshawn Wynn, Antonio Pittman, or Brian Leonard?

I think Vernand and a rookie could handle the RB duties next year. Along with Noah "Braid My" Herron as the third down back.

P.S. What do you think of that nickname for Noah? I can't tell my friends because they have no clue who he is... lol

I think Morency CAN be good. He also now has a year under his belt in this offense. So i think he will show alot more.

How about Noah "PICKLED" Herron? :thumbsup:

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol if he could of get it done ... no1 here would be looking @ a RB including the management and coaching staff ...

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. But I wouldn't be surprised if we start the season with him as the primary.
Hopefully not. Betts, McGahee, and Duckett all sound interesting. Just off the top of my head.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The real truth of the matter(IMO) depends on the progress, or lack of it, by the OL. If they improve as they should, Morency and even Beach could have career years. If they don't improve, Adrian Peterson will have a tough time getting 4 ypc. That's the long and short of it. I've never been able to find out if College, Spitz, and Moll have been working on the weights in GB during the off-season as they vowed to do after the season. If they truly did, we can expect much better play from them. That would make anyone in our backfield much better. The OL is the answer.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The real truth of the matter(IMO) depends on the progress, or lack of it, by the OL. If they improve as they should, Morency and even Beach could have career years. If they don't improve, Adrian Peterson will have a tough time getting 4 ypc. That's the long and short of it. I've never been able to find out if College, Spitz, and Moll have been working on the weights in GB during the off-season as they vowed to do after the season. If they truly did, we can expect much better play from them. That would make anyone in our backfield much better. The OL is the answer.

Beach could simply touch the ball and have a career year, probably call it a career after greatly exceeding expectations

But you're right, if the o-line makes holes, the backs will find them, but I don't wanna take the risk of finding out week one that our line sucks all of a sudden, we need depth in the backfield...Morency is a good situational runner and Herron is only good, I think, on passing downs because of passing and blocking...we need help

tabojc03

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People you are forgetting Pope whom the Bears wished they had right now after trading Jones and having an often injured Peterson as a backup.....another thing a lot of experts are starting to say Lynch is slipping to the 2nd round, so I don't know what to expect especially with the Browns signing Lewis, maybe Peterson is the guy surprisingly slipping to the middle of the draft, who knows......

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say now the bills will take peterson and lynch should definitely fall to the packers.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Morency was a step down from Samkon Gado.

Running backs are relatively cheap compared to other positions.

One will be found and the Packers should not spend a first round pick on one unless they are getting much value.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Morency was a step down from Samkon Gado.

Yeah and the numbers proved it.

Wait...no they didn't. Not even close.

Morency: 4.6 average in 2006
Gado: 4.0 average in Texas, 4.1 average in 2005 with GB.

I won't even mention that Gado wasn't a good fit in the ZB scheme, and Morency is (I just did, didn't I?).

Gado was an ok player, he tried his best, and has a heart of gold, but let's not lie just because Gado is a great human being. WWGD

MNPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not see Morency doing it alone. I assume they will bring in someone with experience (not neccesarily a big name). I am guessing we will also see one of our other young guys carrying part of the load. I think Morency will start but see other guys getting lots of reps. I am not an expert but can Morency:
Get tough yards (short yardage situations) - I think not.
Pick up blitzes (3rd down back) - hopefully he learns
Natural pass catcher - not so far.
I seem him as a good fit for 1rst/2nd down running but someone coming in for more of the other stuff.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He could play full time if you are OK with a back that averages about 3.2 yards per carry. He is a situational backup. We don't have a starting RB.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is the buzz with Brian Leonard? This guy doesn't have a true position in the pro's, he's too slow to be a RB and his blocking is too weak for a FB. Where do you want this guy to play?

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is it in Morency that leads you all to believe that he can't be the featured back? I was very impressed with his performances in the games I was at. He seemed very capable and had alot of good carries.

I for one, am not too concerned if he does end up being our starter. As someone said before, if there is a hole the runner will find it. If there isn't then he won't. The last runner I saw that could make yards without holes was Barry Sanders who in my opinion was possibly the best ever.

Members online

Latest posts