Ty Mont's Future in Green Bay

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
16 carries. But yeah, great game. However, it irks me when people use one game (especially a game where a player set career bests in like every category) as justification for anything.

Great game, Ty!

Beware small sample sizes, all!

Me too! Except with someone else instead of Eddie :D

Lacy needs to lay off the Oreo's !

OP
OP
thisisnate

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy needs to lay off the Oreo's !

Yeah :( I really like Eddie. He's such a likeable dude and when he gets rumbling, it's just magic. If he stays in Green Bay, I'll be very excited to see what he and Ty Mont can do. Gonna have to work, work, work, work his tail off to stay in shape though, and I don't know if he's really all that interested in doing that. Really hope I'm wrong.

D

Deleted member 6794

Montgomery had an awesome game vs. the Bears but declaring him a better running back than Bell again is ludicrous at this point. The Packers should keep feeding him the ball going forward for the rest of the season though.

D

Deleted member 6794

So Ty only got 16 carries this week for 162 yards, he runs too high and he was a WR. If only we had a real RB like Walter Payton or Ahman Green :rolleyes:.

Not one game. The sample size is growing and getting better every week. His average per carry has been over 5 yards all season.

For the season Ty now has 60 carries for 390 yards and 6.5 YPC.

This was the first time Montgomery got a significant amount of carries and he responded with a fantastic performance gaining 156 yards after contact. The sample size is too small as of now to appoint him as an elite running back though.

After one run today I thought I saw him walking tenderly to the sideline. That was before Michael hit his stride. I lost track of that after then and don't recall if Ty came back in and how he did.

Montgomery returned to the field after that only getting two rushes for five yards though.

PeteButter

Cheesehead
Reaction score
16 carries. But yeah, great game. However, it irks me when people use one game (especially a game where a player set career bests in like every category) as justification for anything.

Great game, Ty!

Beware small sample sizes, all!

Me too! Except with someone else instead of Eddie :D

It irks me when people try to passively discredit someone for their hard work. Ty has been a monster every chance he got this season but you talking about "1 game". Give the man his props or don't...but don't try to sandwich "hate" between "great game Ty!". That's how garbage managers evaluate great employees

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
It irks me when people try to passively discredit someone for their hard work. Ty has been a monster every chance he got this season but you talking about "1 game". Give the man his props or don't...but don't try to sandwich "hate" between "great game Ty!". That's how garbage managers evaluate great employees
Hate is an ugly term used by the intolerant or ignorant when their points are questioned because they can't handle debate. Urging patience or lobbying for a larger sample size before anointing him the next "best ever" does not equate to hate.
It was performances similar to Ty's yesterday that earned Samkon Gado that long term contract and invite to Canton. Roell Preston is in his same class. [/sarcasm] Good thing we didn't bench or trade Rodgers after Matt Flynn destroyed Detroit in his one breakout game. Monster performances like Ty's recent one, especially in contract years, are what doom average teams to cap hell with dead cap money because the player does not earn in in subsequent seasons. Here's the best two games of a recent young WR playing on a one year deal. Note these are with backup QBs. Has he earned a better deal? Wouldn't these stats make him the next star? There were those here at the time that thought so. Time proved him to be a flash in the pan.
Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD
10 . . 8. . 103 12.88 1
13 . . .8. . 112 14.00 0

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Montgomery had an awesome game vs. the Bears but declaring him a better running back than Bell again is ludicrous at this point. The Packers should keep feeding him the ball going forward for the rest of the season though.
Yep, it's "fans" like this that proceed to inundate other team's boards with this spam that make the rest of us look like noobs, fools, and bandwagoners. These posters then jump on to a different bandwagon or go into hiding when the inevitable down cycle returns and other teams' "fans" do it back to us.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you watch the game? There is no reason to take him out of the lineup. He's the NFL's most versatile back and arguably the strongest.
Hey, if they don't take him out of the line up, how will Lacy get into the game? Snicker snicker..........
I need to add, I like Lacy and would like him to get healthy and play, but he needs to commit to the team and coaches. Losing some lbs. and keeping it off, will keep him healthy.

Last edited:

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah :( I really like Eddie. He's such a likeable dude and when he gets rumbling, it's just magic. If he stays in Green Bay, I'll be very excited to see what he and Ty Mont can do. Gonna have to work, work, work, work his tail off to stay in shape though, and I don't know if he's really all that interested in doing that. Really hope I'm wrong.
I like Lacy as well, but he needs to commit to staying healthy (losing some lbs.). He can be a beast carrying multiple opposing players on his back for an additional 10 yards! I hope he can stay in GB.

H

HardRightEdge

Wouldn't these stats make him the next star? There were those here at the time that thought so. Time proved him to be a flash in the pan.
Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD
10 . . 8. . 103 12.88 1
13 . . .8. . 112 14.00 0
Jarrett Boykin, in case anybody was wondering.

His shortcomings were evident at the time. While anointing Montgomery is premature, he's clearly a better athlete and football player than Boykin.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I already posted that my confidence in Ty at RB had increased dramatically after yesterday's game, but after rewatching some of the game, I was really impressed at how he was finding room to run as well as his ability to shed tackles. One of his successful runs was classic. One defender got nothing but his towel and another defender his hand warmer. During each of his runs, I was envisioning the results had it been Starks or Lacy in his shoes. Not even worth talking about the current Starks, no comparison. In regards to Lacy, I think Monty is so much quicker on his feet, is finding running lanes and is staying on his feet. He may not have the ability to move piles like Lacy, but when he finds a hole, he shoots through it, Lacy is only able to "lumber" through it. While I am not ready to anoint Monty as a Pro Bowl RB, I am excited by his potential at a position he really just started learning. I think once he is really comfortable at his new position, his WR skills and the coaches ability to continue to use him in the passing game, is really going to make him a weapon.

D

Deleted member 6794

I like Lacy as well, but he needs to commit to staying healthy (losing some lbs.). He can be a beast carrying multiple opposing players on his back for an additional 10 yards! I hope he can stay in GB.

Lacy hasn´t been able to stay in shape for two consecutive seasons with one of those being a contract year. Time to move on.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he's looking better back there all the time. Can be moved to any position on the field to create mismatches for him or others. He's getting better at finding holes and getting thru them quickly. I too am waiting on a bigger sample size, but I have to say I like the way I'm seeing him run and he looks more the part every week, even without the big runs

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Lacy hasn´t been able to stay in shape for two consecutive seasons with one of those being a contract year. Time to move on.
I'm starting to think that as well. A month ago, I thought maybe bring Lacy back next year, if it's a reasonable contract loaded with incentives, but the way Monty and Michaels have looked, not so sure the Packers will even try to sign him.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's entertaining to see people still being unwilling to just embrace Ty as being a very good running back. I think the main problem is that people saw he was drafted as a wide receiver (even though many analysts actually thought he would be a better running back than receiver) and McCarthy, who doesn't exactly embrace change, refused to let him play RB until his hand was forced, which lead people to think he had to play receiver and now it's hard to adjust our thinking to look at Ty as a RB. Instead of thinking of Ty as a WR being converted to RB, just think of him as a player that McCarthy didn't know how to use until injuries forced him to put him at RB and now McCarthy can't help but see him as the player he's always been.

Just a reminder though, Ty has been this good for a long time and the only two times McCarthy has given him a chance have been the two games against Chicago...here's to hoping that Starks being back doesn't mean that McCarthy forgets about Ty again.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's entertaining to see people still being unwilling to just embrace Ty as being a very good running back. I think the main problem is that people saw he was drafted as a wide receiver (even though many analysts actually thought he would be a better running back than receiver) and McCarthy, who doesn't exactly embrace change, refused to let him play RB until his hand was forced, which lead people to think he had to play receiver and now it's hard to adjust our thinking to look at Ty as a RB. Instead of thinking of Ty as a WR being converted to RB, just think of him as a player that McCarthy didn't know how to use until injuries forced him to put him at RB and now McCarthy can't help but see him as the player he's always been.

Just a reminder though, Ty has been this good for a long time and the only two times McCarthy has given him a chance have been the two games against Chicago...here's to hoping that Starks being back doesn't mean that McCarthy forgets about Ty again.

I think you are over simplifying it to either try and make yourself look smart or the rest of us look dumb. Have you been advocating Ty to be a running back since he was drafted? I am sure that the Packers were well aware of the 39 rushes that Ty had in 4 years at Stanford and knew he could be used much like Cobb in the slot. But don't fool yourself into thinking any team saw Monty strictly as a RB during the draft.

I could be wrong, but Ty has been given more than 2 opportunities to play @ RB and remember him getting a few runs even last year as a rookie.

This has been a nice evolution/progression of a player and could continue to be such, but why people are trying to see it any other way is a mystery to me, but I guess human nature.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Just went back (only as far as the top of this page) and saw only two posts not really complimentary to Ty - and those were primarily of the 'let's look for a larger body of work before we go nuts" variety. The others really praised Ty and/or dumped on Lacy.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you are over simplifying it to either try and make yourself look smart or the rest of us look dumb. Have you been advocating Ty to be a running back since he was drafted? I am sure that the Packers were well aware of the 39 rushes that Ty had in 4 years at Stanford and knew he could be used much like Cobb in the slot. But don't fool yourself into thinking any team saw Monty strictly as a RB during the draft.

I could be wrong, but Ty has been given more than 2 opportunities to play @ RB and remember him getting a few runs even last year as a rookie.

Yeah, actually I've been a big proponent of lining Ty up in the backfield on a consistent basis and then watching McCarthy line up Starks all over the place. The Titans game comes to mind as a terrific example.

Off the top of my head I can point to this comment from PFF at draft time about the Packers drafting Ty (exact quote from when the Packers drafted him):

"I think he's a running back, and a pretty good one, masquerading at receiver...He may not be viable as a receiver, but hand him the ball as a running back and you might just have something"

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just went back (only as far as the top of this page) and saw only two posts not really complimentary to Ty - and those were primarily of the 'let's look for a larger body of work before we go nuts" variety. The others really praised Ty and/or dumped on Lacy.

I'm not only talking about this thread. There have been numerous other comments saying that Ty can't run between the tackles or handle anything close to a full-time RB workload.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who said MM didn't know how to use him? He was doing pretty well as a WR last year, at least he was getting going to where we could see the play making ability and he was out for the season. He was slow to get going again this year. And at the time we had 2 running backs with a decent track record. Since then he's been learning the position, and been brought along pretty well I'd say to this point. Sometimes players are successful because of the coaching too. Coaches do more than stifle a players growth and success sometimes.

But I suppose heading into this year, we all knew for a fact the WR position wasn't a concern so there should have been no plan to keep Ty at his WR where he showed a lot of promise, starting in OTA's. By training camp he should have been ready to supplant a very talented second round draft pick and we could have just traded Lacy for the 3 first round picks everyone would have been willing to give up for him.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the pre-game show, they talked about how Ty was a RB in high school but moved to WR in college because it was a pass-happy scheme. His heart and entire body have been about running the ball. We just lucked out that this was our need and haven't lost any of our top WRs to injury this season.

H

HardRightEdge

You can't help but be impressed with his patience, vision and physicality.

His 18 touches were a little over my 15 prescription. It would appear that McCarthy kept his passing touches limited to 2 in anticipation of using him more in the run game.

I remain concerned about his durability under a heavier work load.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We may have to pull Captain in for this one, but I would be interested to know how many NFL WR's have been successfully converted fully to the RB position in the past. Obviously, defining the term "successfully" is subjective and still by no means am I implying Monty is there yet. But it sure looks like RB will become his new full time position and its going to be fun to see how his career there plays out.