Trade Deadline Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Had to laugh a bit at this article, was it written by a Packer Fan? While I understand that the Jaguars might be interested in trading Dante Fowler, why would they settle for a 5th round pick now, when they can get whatever they can out of him this season and then probably get better than a 5th round compensatory pick (or offset) for him in 2020 when he hits Free Agency in 2019?

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...rade-for-jaguars-edge-rusher-dante-fowler-jr/

If the Jags would let him go for a 5th rounder, I would be all over that. Try to resign him and if you can't, you pick up the compensatory pick/offset.

D

Deleted member 6794

So they could renegotiate it, but to make the trade in the first place they need to have the space to take on the current contract?

The Packers could negotiate an extension with most players aside of the ones still in the first three years of their rookie deals. With the salary of vested veterans fully guaranteed for this season there's no way to restructure that part of the deal though.

Just guessing again, but I imagine that a new contract could be worked out as a condition of the trade happening and there is some sort of "cap grace" period while the trade(s) and the contract are completed.

There's no grace period in which a team can be over the cap.

That's a lot of money tied to a one hit wonder. Perry played well in his contract year, and that was the only time he truly gave maximum effort. Tape don't lie. What's worse is his contract is very hard to trade.

That's your opinion. I would imagine the Vikings are trying to use the financial resources available to them to improve their roster. Getting a player they identified as elite, and him choosing them seems like an ideal situation.

The Packers had to re-sign Perry at the point he was headed for free agency. Unfortunately he hasn't performed up to expectations but that happens a lot around the league.

Thompson and Gutekunst have mostly spend the cap space available to improve the roster as well. In my opinion the Vikings overpaid for Cousins as he's not an elite quarterback.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok, you've gotten rid of our draft picks, now tell me how we get him under our cap, THIS year

You include Matthews in that deal...maybe you don’t have to include both picks... but Clay Matthews or Nick Perry included with one of the picks should do.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Rapoport says that HaHa Clinton-Dix is available via trade prior to the deadline.

Also, Trevor Davis is garnering interest around the league.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

You include Matthews in that deal...maybe you don’t have to include both picks... but Clay Matthews or Nick Perry included with one of the picks should do.

The Packers can't trade Perry as that would result in an additional cap hit. There's no reason to beloeve the Cardinals would be interested in Matthews.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rapoport says that HaHa Clinton-Dix is available via trade prior to the deadline.
Yeah I saw that. Problem is GB is already weak at the S position. It would be a matter of who is available or what is available in a deal. I wouldn’t be opposed to the right deal. HHCD is gone next year anyway.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry costs us more money to trade than he gives us relief. I can’t believe there is a team out there that would consider taking Matthews and his contract off our hands.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Perry costs us more money to trade than he gives us relief. I can’t believe there is a team out there that would consider taking Matthews and his contract off our hands.

Totally agree on Perry, he isn't going anywhere for awhile due to being too expensive to trade or cut. Now Matthews is interesting. If a team in contention wanted him bad enough, he would cost them between $5-6M in salary for the remainder of the year. Whatever that amount is, it would come off the Packers books. A contending team with a dire need at OLB might be willing to invest that money and make the trade before Tuesdays Deadline. However, I don't see the Packers stupid enough not to realize that they don't have any depth at the position and a $5M savings isn't worth bailing on a season that is still salvageable.

D

Deleted member 6794

Totally agree on Perry, he isn't going anywhere for awhile due to being too expensive to trade or cut. Now Matthews is interesting. If a team in contention wanted him bad enough, he would cost them between $5-6M in salary for the remainder of the year. Whatever that amount is, it would come off the Packers books. A contending team with a dire need at OLB might be willing to invest that money and make the trade before Tuesdays Deadline. However, I don't see the Packers stupid enough not to realize that they don't have any depth at the position and a $5M savings isn't worth bailing on a season that is still salvageable.

On the other hand I don't expect any contender to be stupid enough to acquire Matthews. In addition it's true the Packers can't afford to trade him without bringing in an upgrade at edge rusher in return.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
2:05. Aaron’s rodgers can have the ball at the 25, with essentially two timeouts. A 2 minute warning and timeout. You run the ball out of the endZone. For what reason exactly?

Cut him today.

FL-PACKERfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would hope Zook told him not to take that out but maybe he didn’t. Still a terrible decision regardless. Obviously didn’t know the game situation

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not his fault. he is paid by the nfl...this is another WWE.

Dieseljunkie12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You would have to hope either Montgomery or zook are gone depending on whose fault it actually was. Not only does that play change the game but the landscape of the NFC. If you are allowed to make a mistake of that magnitude (either person) and still have your job what's the motivation for the rest of the team?

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He will be returning kicks a week from now.

We don't change. We don't adjust, we just plow right along.

Square pegs, round holes.

Kj32kid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2:05. Aaron’s rodgers can have the ball at the 25, with essentially two timeouts. A 2 minute warning and timeout. You run the ball out of the endZone. For what reason exactly?

Cut him today.
Agreed. He hasn't been relevant since Jones and Williams joined the squad. What are we indulging him for?

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

This is pure ********. I'm annoyed we lost the game same as everybody else but ffs !

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s on Zook. Gather them up and explain the situation. Tell him to stay in the endzone so we have the 2 min warning. Joke.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Monty was originally plugged in at RB as a stop gap until our injury ravaged RBs got healthy again and our crack coaching staff decided to keep him there despite not even being remotely qualified. Why they didn't move him back to receiver I have no idea, but now he doesn't really serve a purpose on this team. But nothing is going to change. This organization has proven time and time again they are molasses in January slow to make the proper decisions for the good of the team. At the most, Monty will be taken off of kick return duty, but no one will be held accountable once again. If this was the Patriots, heads would roll.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s on Zook. Gather them up and explain the situation. Tell him to stay in the endzone so we have the 2 min warning. Joke.

Keep in mind though, we once told Bostick to lay off the onside kick and let Jordy get it but he didn't do that.

And btw, I don't like Zook either so I am by no means an apologist for him.

But stupid players like Hundley last year, and Brice and Montgomery this year are just stupid.

The men who must correct this are MM and Gute who must dump this garbage off of this roster before we go to Foxboro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts