Tomlin and MM take different approaches before the SB

Texpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's interesting with the way MM and Tomlin differ in their preparation before the SB.

Granted, Tomlin has only won 1 SB, but whatever he did then it worked. However, I think everyone can agree that the Packers are far better than the Cardinals.

Difference:
1) The Steelers had to change hotels last night to be away from all family and friends. The Packers stayed in the same hotel they have been staying all week because he believes in routine.

2) MM had a special guest speaker at the last team meeting at 10:30am today. What Tomlin did was play the song "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins and told his players to visualize making big plays while the song was playing.

3) Tomlin practiced 100% of the game plan before leaving Pitt. MM had about 90% of the game plan and planned on practicing the remaining part of the game plan in Dallas.

4) Tomlin had a free morning for his team: No speeches, no meetings, nothing. MM had his last team mtg at 10:30am with a special guest speaker.

5) The Steelers were out partying (perhaps not excessively) a couple of times this week whereas I didn't hear of any Packers out this week.

You can see the contrast in how MM differs from Tomlin and their approaches. Call me optimistic, but I have a funny feeling the game is not going to be as close as everyone expects. My prediction: 28-24 Packers win. And it won't be as close as the score indicates.

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
Pardon me for my Rocky III reference (haha), but the Pack just seems to have that Eye of the Tiger, the focus, the determination. They're hungry, and acting like it. Pittsburgh, on the other hand, is acting like this is just another fun day at Disney Land. Piano Bar on a Tuesday night? Benny, you already battling an off-the-field reputation, you really feel it's necessary to go make your shenanigans public yet again?

We want it more, I hope it shows on the field today.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pardon me for my Rocky III reference (haha), but the Pack just seems to have that Eye of the Tiger, the focus, the determination. They're hungry, and acting like it. Pittsburgh, on the other hand, is acting like this is just another fun day at Disney Land. Piano Bar on a Tuesday night? Benny, you already battling an off-the-field reputation, you really feel it's necessary to go make your shenanigans public yet again?

We want it more, I hope it shows on the field today.

I agree...and I hope that they keep that attitude for the long run, over a few years and each time they make the SB

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like changing hotels would be more disruptive.
The packing, the unpacking, the logistics of moving, (Groan) again.
If I was a Stealer, I would be an unhappy camper.

L

Lunchboxer

Hope Rodgers has a great game. He gets to wear his favorite shoes sence its in a Dome.

OP
OP
Texpackerfan

Texpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like changing hotels would be more disruptive.
The packing, the unpacking, the logistics of moving, (Groan) again.
If I was a Stealer, I would be an unhappy camper.

I agree. If you've been sleeping in one place all week you get used to it. And then the night before the big game, you're in a new room. While it may be a small distraction, it's still a distraction. And of course, the packing seems to be a real pain in the ***.

And the song seems to be really odd to me. In the air tonight? Really? Is that supposed to inspire?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. If you've been sleeping in one place all week you get used to it. And then the night before the big game, you're in a new room. While it may be a small distraction, it's still a distraction. And of course, the packing seems to be a real pain in the ***.

And the song seems to be really odd to me. In the air tonight? Really? Is that supposed to inspire?
Yeah really. And it's been overplayed. If I never hear it again as long as I live, that will be OK with me.

BTW: Are you aware of all the urban legends behind the origins of ITAT?
Read about it here.
http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/intheair.asp

dawhole9

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think it's interesting with the way mm and tomlin differ in their preparation before the sb.

Granted, tomlin has only won 1 sb, but whatever he did then it worked. However, i think everyone can agree that the packers are far better than the cardinals.

Difference:
1) the steelers had to change hotels last night to be away from all family and friends. The packers stayed in the same hotel they have been staying all week because he believes in routine.

2) mm had a special guest speaker at the last team meeting at 10:30am today. What Tomlin did was play the song "in the air tonight" by phil collins and told his players to visualize making big plays while the song was playing.

3) tomlin practiced 100% of the game plan before leaving pitt. Mm had about 90% of the game plan and planned on practicing the remaining part of the game plan in dallas.

4) tomlin had a free morning for his team: No speeches, no meetings, nothing. Mm had his last team mtg at 10:30am with a special guest speaker.

5) the steelers were out partying (perhaps not excessively) a couple of times this week whereas i didn't hear of any packers out this week.

You can see the contrast in how mm differs from tomlin and their approaches. Call me optimistic, but i have a funny feeling the game is not going to be as close as everyone expects. My prediction: 28-24 packers win. And it won't be as close as the score indicates.
**** lebeau won the superbowl for Tomlin. Tomlin is not a good coach! I repeat! he is not a good coach. He inherited a sb team built by cowher!

**** lebeau is the real coach of the steelers

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In terms of preparation, this is what the Steelers listened to before the game:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=manxPVTLth8"]YouTube - In the Air tonight LIVE- phil collins[/ame]

This is what the Packers listened to before the game:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8DHrLq9-qw&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Super Bowl XLV Packers Video[/ame]

Case closed.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

bobby jr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
**** lebeau won the superbowl for Tomlin. Tomlin is not a good coach! I repeat! he is not a good coach. He inherited a sb team built by cowher!

**** lebeau is the real coach of the steelers

Tomlin's approach is to encourage hard hitting and I don't think minds if it crosses the line. I don't see him as being an elite coach I see him as a weak one who depends on Lebeau for the defense. LeBeau is over the hill and I don't think he can match wits with the Packers MM and company.

Members online

Latest posts