Tolzien named starter vs Giants

Status
Not open for further replies.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
That being said, Wallace didn't inspire any confidence in me either. His reaction to a blitz is always run backwards 10 yards, then hope to scramble away. That only works in the Madden games, not in the actual NFL. His 5-for-5 was misleading because every pass was extremely short. He refuses to throw the ball more than 10 yards downfield.

So after 5 passes today, Wallace refuses to go down field?

you are saying why he shouldnt get credit for those 5 passes, but yet if he mised on 3 of them, people would be all over him..

I will bet money on that was the game plan for him..Short passes within the 20 yard range..Scott came in and he probably had to use the same game plan they had for Wallace

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can this be a discussion based solely on 3 passes by Wallace?

We have no clue how he wold have done, but he did appear to throw good balls..

I am pretty confident in saying he wouldnt have been so careless with the ball as Scott was
These Packers fans are a fickle bunch.

I wonder how many who doubted Tolzien and were crying for Flynn to come back are now singing the praises for Tolzien?

Wallace lost to the Bears by just one touchdown with hardly any preparation, named the starter to the Eagles game, everyone hates him and wants him benched and won't give him a chance.
Tolzien loses to the Eagles by two touchdowns with hardly any preparation, named the starter against the Giants, everyone loves him and wants him to save the team and will give him a chance and Flynn who?

Then again this is the same fan base who wanted to run Rodgers out of town on a rail and wanted the overrated interception and fumble king back.

SMH

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Now at least we can say Wallace had a 100% for the game..No one can say any different lol

Didnt know he was hurt at the time..But I did say to the people here that he did exactly how I wished..And that oif he played that same way all game we might just win....

OP
OP
Zeck180

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I wonder how many who doubted Tolzien and were crying for Flynn to come back are now singing the praises for Tolzien?

Wallace lost to the Bears with hardly any preparation, named the starter to the Eagles game, everyone hates him and wants him benched and won't give him a chance.
Tolzien loses to the Eagles with hardly any preparation, named the starter against the Giants, everyone loves him and wants him to save the team and will give him a chance and Flynn who?

Then again this is the same fan base who wanted to run Rodgers out of town on a rail and wanted the overrated interception and fumble king back.

SMH

Not all of us hated Rodgers, plenty of us gave him a chance and guess we were right. Wallace when he's rushed runs back ten yards and hopes something good will happen. Tolzien gives the offense that spark, he takes too many chances, but he sits there in the pocket (unlike Wallace) and he did throw a couple zingers.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not all of us hated Rodgers, plenty of us gave him a chance and guess we were right. Wallace when he's rushed runs back ten yards and hopes something good will happen. Tolzien gives the offense that spark, he takes too many chances, but he sits there in the pocket (unlike Wallace) and he did throw a couple zingers.
But he still lost the game and yet he gets a break on here and Wallace doesn't.
Wallace hardly got a chance to prove what he really was capable of.
This is one of those "What if..?" moments.
What if Wallace had stayed in? Would we have won?
We will never know.

I hope the best for the Packers but right now I'm not so sure.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Wallace has always done that..He takes off for a run when pressured..

Bt he had 5 passes, we do not know how he would have fared...But I think Wallace wouldnt have thrown the balls that ended up as an int

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Wallace when he's rushed runs back ten yards and hopes something good will happen. Tolzien gives the offense that spark, he takes too many chances, but he sits there in the pocket (unlike Wallace) and he did throw a couple zingers.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/matt...llace-will-improve-b99137819z1-231098671.html

For example, Hasselbeck explains, Wallace's first instinct against the blitz wasn't always to hit the open, "hot" receiver. Instead, he'd take off. He'd run.

Wish Wallace would have played entire game...I do have a feeling we would have won

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wallace has always done that..He takes off for a run when pressured..

Bt he had 5 passes, we do not know how he would have fared...But I think Wallace wouldnt have thrown the balls that ended up as an int
Maybe but then he did throw a couple that should have been picked last week.

Hjalmar Davidson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wallace played fine when he was in there. No way he throws that pic in the end zone. Probably the injury to Wallace was the determining factor in Tolzien being named the starter. He does have a stronger arm than Wallace does. Maybe with a week of practice the kid can step up? He's got to stop staring down his recievers though.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wallace looked serviceable in his 1 series. He was efficient and on target for the most part. Tolzien though looked more confident. I feel like he really took control of the offense and was not scared at all. He just needs to be a little smarter with his throws. The 2nd pick was a bad decision, the first pick was just a bad throw. A week of practice fixes the first pick.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know Wallace was not in there long today but everything I have seen from Wallace is a QB with NO confidence at all. From Tolzien I at least saw confidence in what he was doing. Don't get me wrong, not happy about the picks, they were two very poor passes, but he was at least confident in what he was doing. Wallace on the other hand, his first instinct when the wind tickles his nose is to run out of the pocket which is a sure sign of QB that is not confident or comfortable with what he is doing.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wallace looked serviceable in his 1 series. He was efficient and on target for the most part. Tolzien though looked more confident. I feel like he really took control of the offense and was not scared at all. He just needs to be a little smarter with his throws. The 2nd pick was a bad decision, the first pick was just a bad throw. A week of practice fixes the first pick.

Crap, you bet me to it! I see we are on the same page with out thoughts. :)

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score

Wallace lost to the Bears by just one touchdown with hardly any preparation, named the starter to the Eagles game, everyone hates him and wants him benched and won't give him a chance.
Tolzien loses to the Eagles by two touchdowns with hardly any preparation, named the starter against the Giants, everyone loves him and wants him to save the team and will give him a chance and Flynn who?

SMH
Don't count me in the "everyone" category. I think Wallace would have been ok, probably even better than Tolzien today had he not gotten injured.

But, at this point, I would rather develop a guy who has upside than a retread QB. Just my opinion, but not a "fickle" one...

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score

SMH
This.

Also, Ted's proved his draft and develop philosophy works. We've had tremendous success under Thompson. Now, some injuries strike, we lose a few games and we're back to calling him 'stubborn', 'egotistical' and crying for free agents?

Matt Flynn couldn't cut it with three other teams this year, including the third string job in Buffalo? Buffalo?!? Anddd he's got a busted up shoulder? But wait he knows this offense right? Forget we have a new offensive coordinator, different players, an evolved playbook etc.

Hjalmar Davidson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tolzien has the stronger arm but less experience. For 2 weeks in a row our game plan went out the window because our starter got hurt early. I don't see a big difference to be honest. I say stick with Tolzien just because he is the healthier player.

Last edited:

robertk328

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think folks are higher on Tolzien, myself included, because of what he did today. With Wallace you have history on what he does or doesn't do. Tolzien is an unknown with a potential to do what is needed. More recent success goes a long way.

Did we lose? Yes, but with a few differences we are right in that game. Go for it on 4th down and get an arguably bad call, instead if Crosby hits the 2 FG we are down 4 points and a FG looks good to be within 1. Their missed FG not factored ;-)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Scott was 62% for those that were worried about Wallace's career %

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought both QBs played okay. I think Tolzien has more upside and I just like they way he carried himself - leadership. If he doesn't underthrow that stupid int in the endzone and its a TD - the Packers win the game and Tolzien is a hero.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tolzien did well for a guy who wasn't on the 53 man roster 7 days ago. 61% completing percentage, 280 yards, and a TD. I know we wouldn't have gotten that out of Wallace. Even the 2 picks didn't bother me too much. The one was a timing issue, WHICH if he gets a full week of practice as starter with the 1s should be better. The 2nd one is a bad read, even Aaron makes one of those once in a while. I guess while I like Tolzien as a QB, it might also because Wallace scares the hell out of me as a Packer. Career backup, out of football last year...at least with Tolzien he's been in camps, and learned from coaches over the last year plus, and behind McCarthy the only other coach that develops QBs as well are Peyton and Harbaugh where Tolzien was until recently. I think at the end of the season we let Wallace go, sign Tolzien to a 2 year contract as Rodgers backup (Slightly higher than league minimum) and draft a QB of the feature/Just in case QB which is something we didn't really have this year.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Tolzien did well for a guy who wasn't on the 53 man roster 7 days ago. 61% completing percentage, 280 yards, and a TD. I know we wouldn't have gotten that out of Wallace. Even the 2 picks didn't bother me too much. The one was a timing issue, WHICH if he gets a full week of practice as starter with the 1s should be better. The 2nd one is a bad read, even Aaron makes one of those once in a while. I guess while I like Tolzien as a QB, it might also because Wallace scares the hell out of me as a Packer. Career backup, out of football last year...at least with Tolzien he's been in camps, and learned from coaches over the last year plus, and behind McCarthy the only other coach that develops QBs as well are Peyton and Harbaugh where Tolzien was until recently. I think at the end of the season we let Wallace go, sign Tolzien to a 2 year contract as Rodgers backup (Slightly higher than league minimum) and draft a QB of the feature/Just in case QB which is something we didn't really have this year.

Signing a QB in the draft sounds a good idea in theory, but we could go out and get Peyton Manning as a back up, but if he get injured in his first series we are still ^**%"*.
Until we address this issue of injuries sorted at ground level, we will always be dead in the water. Just my two cents worth sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.