They Need To Change The Way They Do Passing Stats

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
With this new total tilt by the NFL favoring the passing game they really need to change how they stat defenses in relation to the pass. The pass yards stat is no longer a valid indicator of a defenses performance.

1. QB's no longer get credit for the total yardage of a play. Only the actual yards thrown to the reciver.
2. A new stat is created for Yards After the Catch.
3. A red zone stat. Points allowed from scrimmage inside the 20 yard line.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That new ESPN stat QBR takes into account all the things you listed. I don't like it cause apparently Matt Hasselbeck had a better game, but just sayin..

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a QB is on his own goal line, James Smith, he passes it for 10 yards and the receiver makes the TD then don't they say "James Smith made a 90 yard TD pass!"
It's not right to combine the pass with the run yards when it results in a TD.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
So a 15 yard out pass to a receiver that is led out of bounds gets the same credit as leading a receiver down the seam with a 15 yard pass that goes for 60 yards? And if the same pass is just off the turf so the receiver has to dive to catch it? Punishes QB's that lead their receivers by making a pinpoint pass the same value as an in the area of a receiver pass.
YACs and redzone points allowed / made already exist. Just different ways of ranking a unit. Yards allowed / gained are just the easiest for trolls to understand and latch on to.

Edit: To make a better example, in the Denver game, their flea-flicker went 40 yards because Orton couldn't do any more. If A-Rod had thrown the ball, it would have gone for a 45 yd TD because Loyd would have been hit in stride and not have to fall back for it. A-Rod would get the same credit as Orton in your method.

OP
OP
realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
All good points. I just think that the way things are now it is not going to be uncommon to have 300+ yard games. I see Brady dump of a 5 yard pass and Welker goes 90 yards Brady gets a 95 yard pass. Anyhow.......

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
All good points. I just think that the way things are now it is not going to be uncommon to have 300+ yard games. I see Brady dump of a 5 yard pass and Welker goes 90 yards Brady gets a 95 yard pass. Anyhow.......

So. That happens in our offense as well. See Jordy Nelson vs Carolina. Or Randall Cobb vs Denver

Eric87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What bugs me is when they do "total offense" stats and say things like "Aaron Rodgers had six total touchdowns on Sunday." I think I heard someone even say "Aaron Rodgers singlehandedly accounted for six touchdowns." It's just not true. Yards from scrimmage and points scored is different from passing for yards or points. In other sports, they call those assists.

I think you have to consider all passing stats to be team stats. You have to watch the games to understand what any stat really means. And you can't compare across eras because the rules have changed too much. That's what it comes down to; they aren't going to really change the way stats are done.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

the defense should probably learn how to stop it then. Thats why i am always in favor of staying on the gas and keeping starting offenses out there longer, some people call it running up the score. I say stop me.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a better point would be is that it is not tom bradys fault that the other defense can't stop his receiver, what is wes welker supposed to do? fall down on his own?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
YPA has been pretty consistent through history and a good way to compare eras. Not the only way or the only thing you can use but when I look at passing stats its the first thing I check.

Members online

Latest posts