The T.T. Syndrom.

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
PackOne said:
BryanAschenbrenner said:
...in the Super Bowl.

Whether you lose in the Super Bowl or in the NFC Championship game, you still don't get a Lombardi.

true enough, but i don't think 2007 was a failure simply because we didn't win the super bowl, and i'm willing to bet you feel the same.

No you're right, I don't think 2007 was a failure. I actually think Favre going out on an interception instead of a Super Bowl win is more fitting, because it just accents that "flawed/ ordinary guy" thing he has going on. I'm a TT supporter, so that's why I was arguing the point about TT leaving Seattle and then them getting to the Super Bowl.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think some of these people actually cheer for the Packers to lose just because they want Ted Thompson to fail.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
BryanAschenbrenner said:
PackOne said:
BryanAschenbrenner said:
...in the Super Bowl.

Whether you lose in the Super Bowl or in the NFC Championship game, you still don't get a Lombardi.

true enough, but i don't think 2007 was a failure simply because we didn't win the super bowl, and i'm willing to bet you feel the same.

No you're right, I don't think 2007 was a failure. I actually think Favre going out on an interception instead of a Super Bowl win is more fitting, because it just accents that "flawed/ ordinary guy" thing he has going on. I'm a TT supporter, so that's why I was arguing the point about TT leaving Seattle and then them getting to the Super Bowl.

Life will become much more enjoyable if you stop looking at things in black and white. if you truly do see 2007 as a failure (and I don't think you do) then you got only misery from last season, and no enjoyment at all. your sig (beautiful, by the way. i nominated you for best sig category) tells me otherwise. that you see things from 2007 that the Packers succeeded in. winning the super bowl was not one of them, but there are others.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT strategy so fas has been good IMO. I compare him to a student after half a school year. He is on pace for an A but does not have it yet. He has done with GB much the same as with Seattle. Started out with as many picks in the draft as possible to build the young base and depth of the team.

What is yet to be seen is can he finish the team. IMO more than the draft is needed. I do not disagree with FA this year, but sometime in the next two years, TT needs to get back heavier into the FA market to get the team over the final hump.

There are going to be injuries, retirements and players lost to FA. I think a draft is usually considered good if you get two starters. With that very soon the drafts are going to be needed to replace players and will no longer be filling the roster with better depth. 2 starters a year 22 starters.

The team is setup for this. Young, deep and talented with cap space. Teams have about two years to use FA. And with the cap space it can be done without mortaging the teams future, but using the current money available. GB should have plenty of cap space over the next two years.

I will save my final grading for atleast two years.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is only ONE team that is a winner at the end of the season.
That makes 31 "losers".
If all you use is winning the SB as a measuring stick, only one team is any good, the rest all suck.
If course winning the SB is the goal, and we haven't reached that........yet.

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Ted Thompson is a hell of a GM. I mean he did just win the award as best GM in the NFL right? Plus, he has had three nice drafts. And he hired a great coach in Mike McCarthy. The state of Wisconsin has it pretty good with GM's right now. Doug Melvin is a great GM with the Brewers. How about his signing of Gabe Kaplan this year? Mike Cameron as well, when he gets back. Eric Gagne is finally settled down as a closer, and the rest of the bullpen looks good. Finally, maybe perhaps the Bucks finally have a nice GM as well in John Hammond. Time will tell, but he has a nice resume.

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
bozz_2006 said:
BryanAschenbrenner said:
PackOne said:
BryanAschenbrenner said:
...in the Super Bowl.

Life will become much more enjoyable if you stop looking at things in black and white. if you truly do see 2007 as a failure (and I don't think you do) then you got only misery from last season, and no enjoyment at all. your sig (beautiful, by the way. i nominated you for best sig category) tells me otherwise. that you see things from 2007 that the Packers succeeded in. winning the super bowl was not one of them, but there are others.

No worries my friend. My last post wasn't sarcastic. I don't know if you took it that way or not, but I was being honest about it. I feel 2007 was a great success coming off a 4-12 season 2 years prior. Any year the Packers do well I consider it a success. I was just opposed to the idea that TT is not capable of winning Super Bowls, which is why I said that Seattle losing in the Super Bowl them about as much as the Packers losing in the Championship game. I appreciate your comments about my sig, though. Thanks oodles.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think some of these people actually cheer for the Packers to lose just because they want Ted Thompson to fail.

It's not that at all. At least I don't think it's like that. I think some people are just so bull headed (We all are whether we admit it or not) that they are looking for other reasons why the Packers were an elite NFL team last year. One of the 5 best in my opinion.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bertram said:

It's not that at all. At least I don't think it's like that. I think some people are just so bull headed (We all are whether we admit it or not) that they are looking for other reasons why the Packers were an elite NFL team last year. One of the 5 best in my opinion.

Yeah, we absolutely crushed the Seahawks, and then lost to a smoking hot team in overtime, who happened to go on to beat the only 16-0 team in NFL history. Near the end of the year, we were damn near elite. And we were the youngest team in the NFL. I seriously can't believe this griping is still going on regarding TT. I can understand nitpicking, but there are people who think he's doing everything wrong.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
If it works.... Jump on it. If it is in fashion wear it.

It seams the N.F.L. G.M's and decision makers are following the lead of the N.F.L. General Manager Of The Year. The wise one, the proven T.T.

Perhaps, the rest of the N.F.L. G.M's have caught on to the idea that the future success is to build from the draft and build on trading down and getting more draft picks.

P.F.T. can be a great site. Some times Mike can run some stuff that is sort of border line tabloid. However... Florio nails this on the head of the nail in this scribe notes about restricted free agents moving to other teams in this off season.

Quote: From Florio:

ONLY THREE RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS HAVE CHANGED TEAMS

Posted by Mike Florio on April 12, 2008, 4:24 p.m.

With the deadline for signing restricted free agents to offer sheets less than a week away, only three such players have changed teams this year.

The Lions obtained defensive back Kalvin Pearson from the Bucs, the Bengals finagled tight end Ben Utecht from the Colts, and the Titans acquired kick returner Chris Carr from the Raiders.

In each case, the player had been undrafted and was tendered at the lowest level. As a result, there was no draft-pick compensation.

Meanwhile, 31 restricted free agents signed their one-year tender offers, putting them under contract for one more year, and eligible for unrestricted free agency in 2009.

We’re not sure why so few restricted free agents have changed teams this year. It’s possible that teams have opted to steer clear of restricted free agents, given that any offer sheet that doesn’t include a poison pill possibly is evidence of collusion among the teams. The poison pill remains a viable device for promoting player movement; a year ago, the union didn’t object when teams failed to use it in offer sheets.

It’s a different climate now, and it very well could be that there’s a wink-nod arrangement among the teams that offer sheets will be pursued only as to those players for whom there is no draft-pick compensation.

Of course, that would be collusion, too. If that’s what has been happening.

R.P.

Restricted FAs are almost never signed by another team. It costs the other team draft pick(s) and a big money contract. That's why it was a big deal when TT was able to trade Williams. This year is no different, therefore there is no linking it to TT's method.

Now if we saw a significant decrease in the number of FA signings, then that would definitely be a good argument. Here's the current list of FAs signed this year:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=3335500

Looks like free agency is doing just fine.

Now that's not to say that some GMs aren't leaning more toward TT's methods, but your argument about lack of RFA signings as being evidence just isn't true.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
Hopefully in '08, it will be our turn.

It will be, if Ted can figure out the magical formula.

:lol:

Well, Bill Bellichick sold his soul last year and that didn't work. He did get close though. Was less than 2 minutes away from walking away with his 4th Lombardi.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
Zombieslayer said:

Well, Bill Bellichick sold his soul last year and that didn't work. He did get close though. Was less than 2 minutes away from walking away with his 4th Lombardi.
I bet Bill sold his soul several seasons ago. He just got CAUGHT last year.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but nobody cares if you cheat to the top!

"In America, it is ok to cheat as long as you cheat your way to the top. If you cheat and fail, you are a cheater. If you cheat and succeed, you are savvvvy."

- Eric Cartminez

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but nobody cares if you cheat to the top!

"In America, it is ok to cheat as long as you cheat your way to the top. If you cheat and fail, you are a cheater. If you cheat and succeed, you are savvvvy."

- Eric Cartminez

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
I mean, how many times can I say the truth and not have it heard.

When Jesus had finished these prarables, he moved on from there. coming to his hometown, he began teaching the people in their synagogue, and they were amazed. "Where did this man get this wisdom and these miraculous powers?", the asked. "Isn't this the carpenter's son? Isn't his mother's name Mary, and aren't his brothers James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas? Aren't all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these words?" And they took offense at him.
But Jesus said to them, "Only in his hometown and in his own house is a prophet without honor."
And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith.
-Matthew 13:53-58

Welcome home Tromadz! hahaha.

I forgot to mention this the other day. Funniest post in quite some time.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
tromadz said:
I mean, how many times can I say the truth and not have it heard.

When Jesus had finished these prarables, he moved on from there. coming to his hometown, he began teaching the people in their synagogue, and they were amazed. "Where did this man get this wisdom and these miraculous powers?", the asked. "Isn't this the carpenter's son? Isn't his mother's name Mary, and aren't his brothers James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas? Aren't all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these words?" And they took offense at him.
But Jesus said to them, "Only in his hometown and in his own house is a prophet without honor."
And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith.
-Matthew 13:53-58

Welcome home Tromadz! hahaha.

I forgot to mention this the other day. Funniest post in quite some time.

Thanks buddy. I was gonna throw in something at the end like, "Oh Tromadz, you're always the martyr", or, "Tromadz: always the martyr, never the messiah", but it felt like overkill.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
bozz_2006 said:
Zombieslayer said:

I bet Bill sold his soul several seasons ago. He just got CAUGHT last year.

I don't think he read the fine print.