The path for Aaron Rodgers to become the GOAT

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
If we went all in and gave Rodgers every piece to work with, and he won 3 straight....

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Wilson isn't asked to do what Rodgers is asked to do either. Wilson is at his best throwing ball 20-25 times. Seattle is a run first team that relies on playing very good defense. I don't consider him as a very good "high volume passer" as he has some limitations that catch up with him when trying to throw the ball 30+ times.

The Packers have Wilson figured out. They use a "controlled pass rush" keeping Wilson in pocket and force him to throw ball downfield. Once again Wilson has limitations.
Now I'm going to have argue that Wilson is at his best throwing 20-25 passes a game. His stats say otherwise. Actually, throwing more than 30 a game he is better than the 20-25. And it's not even close. Interesting thing about Wilson and his 30+ games. 2012 he had 3, 2013 - 4 2014 - 7 2015 - 10 2016 - 13. So each year he has increased the number of games that he throws more than 30 passes. The other interesting thing is that out of the 20 Interceptions, the Packers have 6 of them. So he has 14 in 35 games against other teams. Not shabby.

Code:
30 +
22/34   63.9%   258 yards 1.6 tds and .5 int per game

20-25
15/24  64.8%  189 yards 1.3 tds and 1 int per game.

Please keep in mind I am not saying he is better or comparing him to Rodger's, just pointing out the fact that he is better at throwing 30+ a game then you make him out to be. Although I would be curious as to what you think his limitations are in throwing 30+ a game.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Now I'm going to have argue that Wilson is at his best throwing 20-25 passes a game. His stats say otherwise. Actually, throwing more than 30 a game he is better than the 20-25. And it's not even close. Interesting thing about Wilson and his 30+ games. 2012 he had 3, 2013 - 4 2014 - 7 2015 - 10 2016 - 13. So each year he has increased the number of games that he throws more than 30 passes. The other interesting thing is that out of the 20 Interceptions, the Packers have 6 of them. So he has 14 in 35 games against other teams. Not shabby.

Code:
30 +
22/34   63.9%   258 yards 1.6 tds and .5 int per game

20-25
15/24  64.8%  189 yards 1.3 tds and 1 int per game.

Please keep in mind I am not saying he is better or comparing him to Rodger's, just pointing out the fact that he is better at throwing 30+ a game then you make him out to be. Although I would be curious as to what you think his limitations are in throwing 30+ a game.

I don't believe there record is as good with Wilson throwing the ball a lot but I could be mistaken. I would rather deal with Wilson's arm then Lynch who they haven't been able to replace. There gonna try with Lacy which I don't think is gonna work. Wilson is an okay QB IMO but I personally believe he gets more credit then he deserves.

His limitations? You saw them last year. He was dinged up most of the season that caused him to lose a step and it changed his entire game and at times he was not effective at all and he couldn't move the offense consistently. He has improved somewhat from throwing in the pocket but he still isn't great at it. I just think his game revolves around his feet and his heigth limitation doesn't help. I will say Wilson definitely does a good job of maxing out his god given ability however I don't see any reason to be to scared of Russell Wilson.

Seattle rides or dies with there defense and run game. If you force them into Wilson beating you through the air and trying to keep up with AR12 with less then perfect defensive play on there end they can't beat us.

I want Wilson throwing the ball 30+ times September 10th. Wilson needs a solid run game working to be truly effective.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I don't believe there record is as good with Wilson throwing the ball a lot but I could be mistaken.

That's true for nearly every quarterback in the league though with teams having a combined .434 winning percentage over the past five season with QBs throwing at least 30 times in a game.

Last edited by a moderator:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
That's true for nearly every quarterback in the league though with teams having a combined .434 winning percentage over the past five season with QBs throwing at least 30 times in a game.

Regardless I don't consider him an effective "high volume passer" week in and week out. He might be able to do it here and there but not consistently at an effective rate.

A lot of there passing game is him running around back there and chucking the ball downfield to a receiver breaking coverage. Hard to be consistent with that premise.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A three-peat to end his career. First to hit 6000/60tds and keep ints in single digits...

All of which I think is possible if McCarthy opened up the offense....

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Regardless I don't consider him an effective "high volume passer" week in and week out. He might be able to do it here and there but not consistently at an effective rate.

A lot of there passing game is him running around back there and chucking the ball downfield to a receiver breaking coverage. Hard to be consistent with that premise.
Mmmmm sounds like ...............Favre.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll say one thing...Wilson sure is accurate a lot with downfield passes. He amazes me often.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To even be in the conversation as greatest PACKERS QB he needs 4 more NFL Championships. Once he's won 5 we can talk about Packers GOAT and maybe by then even NFL GOAT depending on what Brady does to cheat to win.

D

Deleted member 6794

Wilson has a higher passer rating in games when throwing at least throwing 30 times (100.8) than his overall one (99.6). But why let facts get in the way of your thinking.

To even be in the conversation as greatest PACKERS QB he needs 4 more NFL Championships. Once he's won 5 we can talk about Packers GOAT and maybe by then even NFL GOAT depending on what Brady does to cheat to win.

While there's no doubt Starr is an all-time Packers great you have to realize that he hugely benefitted from having by far the best head coach of his era, a lot of talent around him and the league only consisting of a maximum of 16 teams during his tenure.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think time will just have to pass, the idiotic Bandwagon Patriots fans will have to die off, and it should be simple after that. Just look at his individual stats, some of his tape, and it's clear that he's better than the others by a pretty ample margin.
I don't think it has anything to do with Patriot fans. People don't talk about athletes being GOATS unless they have the championships on their resume. That may or not be fair, but it's the truth.

As for Russell Wilson, what is his TD-INT ratio while throwing from the one yard line with a Super Bowl on the line?
:laugh:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Wilson has a higher passer rating in games when throwing at least throwing 30 times (100.8) than his overall one (99.6). But why let facts get in the way of your thinking.

What's his passer rating against us in last 3 games? I could care less about his passer rating against the likes of the 49ers and Rams. He also struggles on the road. Other then a breakout game against New England he was pretty bad overall. He isn't a high volume passer and the Seahawks will never win a Super Bowl with trying to use him as one and they know it.

The Ewok is "overrated"

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Wilson has a higher passer rating in games when throwing at least throwing 30 times (100.8) than his overall one (99.6). But why let facts get in the way of your

Also, Wilson has already dropped 10 pounds this off-season. I wonder why he is doing this? Maybe cause he can't run past all these hybrid defensive players teams have on defense now? So now he is gonna attempt to play light and hold up with his porous OL.

His little "Mickey Mouse Game" is coming to an end.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dont know why Wilson is being put down He has done quite a bit in his relatively short career. Granted he has had some great defenses but his receivers have not had the big names until recently. I suppose Fran Tarkington had a mickey mouse game also. Don't want to see Wilson do well but...

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Dont know why Wilson is being put down He has done quite a bit in his relatively short career. Granted he has had some great defenses but his receivers have not had the big names until recently. I suppose Fran Tarkington had a mickey mouse game also. Don't want to see Wilson do well but...

As I posted I think Wilson is an okay QB. I just don't see him as "top 5". That team was all Lynch and defense. Wilson made a big play for them from time to time but more often then not it was Lynch. Wilson made a lot of plays too off of Lynch with the option read. IMO it was Lynch that carried that offense. Let's not forget the end to the Super Bowl loss to the Patriots either. Now they paid Lacy and have him doing P90x and "scale watching" in hopes he can give them some of what Lynch did. I don't think its gonna work but thats why they play the games.

I believe the Seahawks window is closing as there defense is starting to get old with injuries piling up and they haven't been able to replenish at the rate needed through the draft. They will probably make the playoffs because they play in a crappy division but are primed for a melt down.

Trent Dilfer could of won a Super Bowl with the defense and run game the Seahawks "had". To me all the Russell Wilson MVP talk is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
You know I wasn't going to do this but since someone keeps saying Wilson isn't any good in downfield passing I just could not pass it up. Wilson vs Rodgers, downfield completed passes greater than 15 yards since 2012. While it's only completed passes, it shows that Wilson is not the poor downfield passer some want to make him out to be. BTW, 22 of Wilson deep passes are against the Packers accounting for 7 TD's. Meanwhile Rodgers has 21 against the Seahawks accounting for 2 TD's.

Code:
Player            Cmp      Yds      TD     
Russell Wilson    477     12,256    72
Rodgers           481     12,403    67

http://pfref.com/tiny/xsTbo
http://pfref.com/tiny/NPhZt

Damn Wilson sucks.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know I wasn't going to do this but since someone keeps saying Wilson isn't any good in downfield passing I just could not pass it up. Wilson vs Rodgers, downfield completed passes greater than 15 yards since 2012. While it's only completed passes, it shows that Wilson is not the poor downfield passer some want to make him out to be.
Unfortunately, I do remember Wilson playing lights out at the end of that NFCCG we played against Seattle, which might as well be called "The Collapse".

Regarding Rodgers, everybody was so happy with the second half of last season that we tend to forget the offense was in a bit of a funk there for about a year and a half, especially the downfield passing aspect. Of course, that was mainly because of Jordy being injured, but I'm sure it slowed down Rodgers stats some in that regard.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Rodgers is indeed great. Love watching him play. But, seriously now. Bart Starr is a Packer icon for so many reasons. It will be real hard for Rodgers to get to Starr level. GOAT Packer has Starr in the running rather than Rodgers. Even Rodgers himself looks up to Bart Starr.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is indeed great. Love watching him play. But, seriously now. Bart Starr is a Packer icon for so many reasons. It will be real hard for Rodgers to get to Starr level. GOAT Packer has Starr in the running rather than Rodgers. Even Rodgers himself looks up to Bart Starr.
Unfortunately, that era is too distant in the past now for a lot of people alive to remember it. I'm old enough though :) People don't tend to appreciate the athletes of yesteryear, they favor the players that they've seen play. Also, the game was played quite a bit different in those days, so QBs didn't put up the gaudy numbers you see today. Although Starr's playoff record and statistics are pretty amazing.

D

Deleted member 6794

What's his passer rating against us in last 3 games? He also struggles on the road. Other then a breakout game against New England he was pretty bad overall.

There's no doubt Wilson has been terrible against the Packers over the last three games but the notion he has struggled on the road is BS as he ranks fifth in passer rating in away games since entering the league.

I believe the Seahawks window is closing as there defense is starting to get old with injuries piling up and they haven't been able to replenish at the rate needed through the draft.

To me all the Russell Wilson MVP talk is ridiculous.

You have been posting about the Seahawks window closing for several years yet they have been as successful or even better than the Packers over the past few seasons.

I haven't seen a single post mentioning Wilson should be considered the league's MVP but there's no doubt he deserves some respect for his performance.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
There's no doubt Wilson has been terrible against the Packers over the last three games but the notion he has struggled on the road is BS as he ranks fifth in passer rating in away games since entering the league.

You have been posting about the Seahawks window closing for several years yet they have been as successful or even better than the Packers over the past few seasons.

I haven't seen a single post mentioning Wilson should be considered the league's MVP but there's no doubt he deserves some respect for his performance.

Let's see here. He put up 3pts at the mighty Rams. A whopping 6 pts at Zona. 20pts At NO. Then he lit the world on fire with 31pts at NE. Then he came back down to reality and added up 5pts at Tampa and a mighty 10pts At Lambeau. Then he put on a scoring fest with 24 At SF.

Wow! Stand back!. That's some extreme firepower. ;)

*uck the Seahawks and there #FakeNoise stadium. Wilson won't win another Super Bowl period. Hawks defense is getting old and unless Schnieder hit a grand slam on this years draft they might not even be relevant anymore moving forward.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Let's see here. He put up 3pts at the mighty Rams. A whopping 6 pts at Zona. 20pts At NO. Then he lit the world on fire with 31pts at NE. Then he came back down to reality and added up 5pts at Tampa and a mighty 10pts At Lambeau. Then he put on a scoring fest with 24 At SF.

Wow! Stand back!. That's some extreme firepower. ;)

*uck the Seahawks and there #FakeNoise stadium. Wilson won't win another Super Bowl period. Hawks defense is getting old and unless Schnieder hit a grand slam on this years draft they might not even be relevant anymore moving forward.
Yet through all that his team still went 10-5-1 and won the division.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On topic: For AR to even get a scent of the GOAT, he and the Packers have to win another SB and he needs at least a couple more MVP-like seasons. That's not to say he wins the MVP, but he needs to have MVP-quality seasons.

That will put him in the discussion, but that's all.

Members online

Latest posts