TC in 6 days

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With TC coming up in less than a week the Packers need to get the high round draft picks signed up in a hurry.

Especally, the Offensive two linemen. If those guys are projected as possible starters than they need as much work as possible to get prepared for the NFL.

I am really pumped up on the defensive changes made in the off-season. Looking for an improved D this year.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DePack said:
They will alla be signed by training camp with the possible exception of Hawk.

I'm not trying to slam you here so please don't take it like that.

What makes you think Hawk won't be signed? Are ya going off past experience or did he or his agent say something to make you believe that?

The perception that I got from the things he's said was he understands missing anytime will set him back and he wants to be there for everything and does not want to let his contract get in the way.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Things are so different today where draft choices are slotted. The only exception are the early first round slots. But you know what? They're going to get these players signed. The GM and coach clearly know how vital it is that they get their players in and get them ready to go, especailly with a new offensive blocking scheme.

Reaction score
The problem is that a copy of the new CBA still isn't available, so the exact terms of signing first round draft picks to contracts is a little iffy. What's more is that Hawk was means that Hawk's agent will likely wait for other deals of players drafted in the top 10 to get done, so there is a better idea of the kind of contract Hawk should get.

Usually with picks, its a process of as soon as a few are signed, the rest sign soon after.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
The problem is that a copy of the new CBA still isn't available, so the exact terms of signing first round draft picks to contracts is a little iffy. What's more is that Hawk was means that Hawk's agent will likely wait for other deals of players drafted in the top 10 to get done, so there is a better idea of the kind of contract Hawk should get.

Usually with picks, its a process of as soon as a few are signed, the rest sign soon after.

Huh? How can it not be available. They 'hammered out all details' months ago and you're saying their still making changes?

I am uneducated bafoon, I do not get it lol

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Browns | Wimbley reaches contract agreement in principle
Sat, 22 Jul 2006 11:20:30 -0700

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the Cleveland Browns have reached a contract agreement in principle with first-round draft pick LB Kamerion Wimbley. The contract could be signed later Saturday, July 22, and would ensure the Browns will have their first-round pick in training camp on time. Wimbley will sign a six-year contract with a maximum of value of $23.7 million and $9.3 million in guarantees. The deal will void to five years provided Wimbley reaches predetermined playing time thresholds, with the Browns having the right to buy back the voided year by paying Wimbley a sizeable bonus.

There Should be a first round pick signed now The Pack still have there 1st, two 2nd round, 2 3rd round, and then ingle martin, and cory rodgers

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the signings will show us which ones are "Packer People" and which ones are not. Those that give up a couple of extra thousand dollars in order to get into camp and get prepared for the season probably are. Those that hold out and miss parts of training camp in order to get a couple of extra thousand dollars probably aren't.

It'll be interesting to see which group Hawk falls into.

Drich318

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i CAN'T WAIT. This is the start of the best time of the year. Go Pack Go. I think this team has alot of potential, and could be special. It all starts at training camp though. We must learn the plays, stay healthy and maintain team unity. Gotta get through camp though, healthy and unified.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
DePack said:

What makes you think Hawk won't be signed? Are ya going off past experience or did he or his agent say something to make you believe that?

The perception that I got from the things he's said was he understands missing anytime will set him back and he wants to be there for everything and does not want to let his contract get in the way.

I didn't say he "won't be signed". I said "possible" exception and this was just because of historically how slowly early first rounders sign. I'm sure Hawk wants to get into camp and hopefully he will. It's just a "slotting issue".

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I hope Hawk is reasonable re his demands, I also hope TT doesn't try to low-ball this great talent. To get his best effort, he must not have lingering questions/doubts in the back of his mind. His concentration must be unimpeded, his efforts maximized. A lot more than usual will be asked of the D this year given the many uncertainties on the O. Many games will depend mostly on their ability to hold teams at bay until the O gets moving, IMHO. Just as Woodson's attitude will determine how much help he gives the Pack, Hawk must be made to feel fortunate to be a Packer and ready to go all out. Don't shortchange him, TT. We're darned lucky to have him. The same goes for Hodge. I still can't believe our good fortune in getting BOTH these guys.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DePack said:
Zero2Cool said:
DePack said:

I didn't say he "won't be signed". I said "possible" exception and this was just because of historically how slowly early first rounders sign. I'm sure Hawk wants to get into camp and hopefully he will. It's just a "slotting issue".

Yea, I read your post again at later time and was asking myself where you said he wouldn't be signed, oh well. I'm still not perfect. Thanks for not teeint off on my lameness.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Negotiations with with Packer # 5 draft pick A.J. Hawk are not expected to be easy . This is is the highest packers have drafted since 1992.

last year #5 draft Choice in NFL draft RB Carnell Williams signed a five year worth $30M, which included a $13M signing bonus.

During the last three years('03.,'04. '05) the Packers three # 1 draft picks: LB Nick Barnett, DB Ahmad Carroll, and QB Aaron Rodgers, all missed practices while their deals were being finalized.

It is always about money in NFL Football. Big dollars!! It is a business!! Careers can be short and so the players try to get as much as they can, and NFL teams have Salary Cap and free agency to worry about.

NFL teams must be careful about contracts they make with the players and ramifications these contracts cause in the future years.

It has been said by a Packer executive, that in the past, the Mike Sherman administration worried more about if the deal could be worked into the present year and didn't think too much what problems(contract backloading) would caused in future years, hence the salary cap problem in 2005.

The Packer admistration of Ted Thompson took the tough steps to correct the salary cap problems in '05 and took the "heat " for doing so. The Packers in '06 no longer have a salary cap problem and have no intention of allowing it to happen again..

NiVeK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PWT36 said:
Negotiations with with Packer # 5 draft pick A.J. Hawk are not expected to be easy . This is is the highest packers have drafted since 1992.

Exactly it. I'm not worried about not signing him because HE is going to be a ****** about it. I'm just concerned that WE don't realize he was the 5th pick in the draft and should thus be paid accordingly. TT will get the job done. I'm really not that worried.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's only a couple of things on the planet I can say this about MinnesotaSucks, but I actually like the Vikings better than your avatar.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are right PW I don't think under Ted Thompson that you will see the Packers extend themselves and therfore put themselves in the financial condition they were in several years ago. That condition came as the result of having a man in charge that had zero training in this department and things got away on us. We couldn't afford to pay the people who should have been paid because we made some terrible decisions on players who didn't and couldn't play up to the price tag on their contract.

I have no idea whether TT's system is better or not just yet, but I do know that teams that pay average players as "big money" players are going to be in trouble.

They will sigh Hawk to a fair contract.

NiVeK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:
There's only a couple of things on the planet I can say this about MinnesotaSucks, but I actually like the Vikings better than your avatar.

There's been plenty of complaints, and therefore I've changed it.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

http://nflpa.com/CBA/CBA_Complete.aspx
http://nflpa.com/pdfs/CBA/2006_CBA_Exte ... _Sheet.pdf