Studs n duds vs Niners

Reaction score
A lot of pluses and pleasant surprises. The downers were among it all : No Bahk, letting Douglas go, losing all those games to non- playoff teams, Carlson ineptitude, the injuries. Now on to 2024.
Exactly Milani.
We will never know if Rasul could’ve put us a game farther etc. it’s arguable he could’ve. However I’d have a hard time believing we would’ve gotten past a NFC game because of other deficiencies. So if not, it’s a gamble on our next 2-4 seasons. Rasul gets us equivalent of a top 100 selection PLUS a 4 year Rookie contract. Bak nets us $20.5mil (less replacement cost) plus a shot at a potential bonus draft pick or player in trade.
That’s $27.5Mil (less replacement players) off our 2024 Cap. Call it ~$25mil net play money next season. I suspect some of that will apply to cover Love’s contract difference. We planned on him counting $23mil, but that’s about to double. So… Bak and Rasul just washed Loves new $ deal next season and a Top 100 and Top 200 bonus pick.
I know you’re not I implying this but I’m just pointing out those 2 players value are not quite realized just yet. I have to give Gutey some credit that he knows what he’s doing. He’s like 3 steps and 3 years ahead and if nothing else he killed it at QB. Gutey just went from a B grade GM to a A grade GM imo. That Jordan pick is remarkable at a #26 value.

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team gained 2-3 years of lessons in one season. They learned the offense. They learned how to play through adversity. They learned sometimes you lose games you shouldn't and sometimes you win when you shouldn't. Then they learned to weather injuries. They learned how to win in the playoffs. They learned how it feels to lose in the playoffs. Those are stages every team goes through in learning how to become champions. It usually takes a good team 2-3 seasons to learn all of that, and the got to learn it all in just ONE.
How do you know the team learned all of those lessons? It's quite apparent that MLF still hasn't learned his lessons with special teams. The kicker was a train wreck the second half of the season but MLF just whistled in the dark like he did two years ago with Mo Drayton. Overconfidence, stubbornness and ego can get in the way of learning important lessons. It would be great if they learned all the lessons you listed but it's far from a sure thing. Judging from MLF and special teams, it may even be very doubtful.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I get you I’m not unhappy maybe a little since yesterday, but good or bad season people vent, let’s see what happens next year
Then some are ONLY coming here to vent. Because we never see a post when things are going well. That makes them the rough equivalent of a troll.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Exactly Milani.
We will never know if Rasul could’ve put us a game farther etc. it’s arguable he could’ve. However I’d have a hard time believing we would’ve gotten past a NFC game because of other deficiencies. So if not, it’s a gamble on our next 2-4 seasons. Rasul gets us equivalent of a top 100 selection PLUS a 4 year Rookie contract. Bak nets us $20.5mil (less replacement cost) plus a shot at a potential bonus draft pick or player in trade.
That’s $27.5Mil (less replacement players) off our 2024 Cap. Call it ~$25mil net play money next season. I suspect some of that will apply to cover Love’s contract difference. We planned on him counting $23mil, but that’s about to double. So… Bak and Rasul just washed Loves new $ deal next season and a Top 100 and Top 200 bonus pick.
I know you’re not I implying this but I’m just pointing out those 2 players value are not quite realized just yet. I have to give Gutey some credit that he knows what he’s doing. He’s like 3 steps and 3 years ahead and if nothing else he killed it at QB. Gutey just went from a B grade GM to a A grade GM imo. That Jordan pick is remarkable at a #26 value.
Douglas??? The two young CB's turned out to NEVER be a major problem for this team. They stepped up and did a good job.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then some are ONLY coming here to vent. Because we never see a post when things are going well. That makes them the rough equivalent of a troll.
I think the playoff chokes separate the fan base into those who are satisfied with losing and make excuses and those fans who are frustrated by the same recurring problems and vent their displeasure. Some people and myself included take their football philosophy directly from Vince Lombardi. "You play the game to win championships". That obviously leads to bitter disappointment but I have no problem being a Lombardi disciple when it comes to sports. The rest of life isn't like that at all because it's so much more difficult to measure success. I would prefer to have guys on my team who hate to lose like Tom Brady because they are all in on the Lombardi philosophy. It's OK if fans are satisfied with losing but I wouldn't want that mindset in the locker room. I'm sure Brady and Lombardi were ornery jerks when they lost.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly Milani.
Not sure if Gute actually thought we were out of it when he let Douglas go. We certainly thought so. And yes, to beat the top in the NFC to the SB we would need more than one player. Although, if we had a better kicker we MAY have won yesterday and we may have won a few more during the regular season as well. Our O line did fairly well this year but the Lions have a better one. They can convert 4th and short more than we can because they have the studs up front.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I think if the Packers had a center like Frank Ragnow we make that 4th and 1 or even the 3rd and 1. This is what can make or break a red zone offense. With that said we only committed ONE penalty last night. Best of the season. So the focus was there. We forced 4 Niner punts and 2 very long FG attempts. To beat the Niners you have to play almost a perfect game. And we came up short. It's a game of inches.
True

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
An interesting whiskey analogy, the young bucks ( this young team) went into the old men’s house (49ers) expecting to give out a beat down, but what the young bucks didn’t expect was the old men to open a can of whoop *** and send them Packing(ers)
Sarcasm everyone

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
24 hours later, this one still stings. We stood toe to toe with the best team in the NFC and had plenty of chances to win this game. For the first 3 quarters, they were the better team. They just didn't execute in winning time. Don't know if the rain affected Love in the 4th quarter, but he made some terrible throws in the 4th. The last one, throwing across his body, was inexcusable. He'll learn from that. The whole team will learn from this game.

My biggest concern entering this game was the physicality of the 49ers. But the Packers matched them blow for blow for most of the game. They didn't back down from the chippy play. All I wanted was for the Packers to compete. They were 9.5 pt. underdogs and many expected a blowout. I'm proud of the way they competed.

Studs: Jones, the offensive line, Clark and the entire defensive line, Nixon's KO return and Eric Wilson for the incredible fumble recovery.

Duds: Love in the 4th quarter, missed picks by Savage and Nixon. Poor tacking by the safeties. Soft defense on the final drive. Inability to score TD's in the red zone and of course, the kicker. Losing Tom in the 3rd quarter was a blow.

All in all, this team exceeded my wildest expectations. They were a play or two from the NFC championship game. I can say this team was a joy to watch this year. Seeing the development of Jordan Love and all the young talent. If Gute can nail another draft, this team will be built to compete for years. I couldn't be prouder to be a Packer fan.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not say this season has been a lot of fun. It was more like a roller coaster. But the way it turned out bodes well for the future. Gute has to make some good choices though.

Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

This was a critical mistake by the officiating crew. Jordan is the player below Kraft. His head is covered up by a 49er player but the ball is under his chin or at helmet level give or take 3”. Both 3rd down and 4th runs the ball is moved back more than 1 foot + ti 122 yard. If that was the Endzone on a replay? Jordan broke the plane (notice the orange marker at top of screen is 2-4” BEFORE the next hash. Jordan actually made the hash mark and possibly past it a few inches.
Watch in this next frame how far back they spot the ball. At very least it should be touching the 13 yard line marker.

Jordan’s helmet if brought down the line would scrape Bosa’s helmet. Tell me what yard marker Bosa helmet or maybe very close to Walkers elbow. Within inches of that green on Walkers armpit at worst case.

Last edited:
Reaction score

They actually backed the ball up near 1/2 yard or 1 1/2 feet. It’s now closer to the 14 yard line than it is the 13 yard line where Jordan surpassed by several inches.

The ball should be exactly touching the 13 yard line either one side or the other by an inch. Suddenly it’s moved back smack between the 13 and 14 marker, a touch closer to the 14 yard mark? Jordan was somewhere around the 12.9 yard line and now it’s 13.6 yard line?

Also notice where the line judge is in both photos at top. He’s moved 1 FULL yard backwards before the next snap.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If you want to wash, rinse and repeat, by all means bring back Barry. I'd rather be a serious SB contender which they won't be with Barry. He has a proven track record.
Are you saying that they weren't a "serious SB contender", after how they have been playing as of late?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

They actually backed the ball up near 1/2 yard or 1 1/2 feet. It’s now closer to the 14 yard line than it is the 13 yard line where Jordan surpassed by several inches.

The ball should be exactly touching the 13 yard line either one side or the other by an inch. Suddenly it’s moved back smack between the 13 and 14 marker, a touch closer to the 14 yard mark? Jordan was somewhere around the 12.9 yard line and now it’s 13.6 yard line?

Also notice where the line judge is in both photos at top. He’s moved 1 FULL yard backwards before the next snap.
All season long, I was fed up with the line judges. One bad spot after another. Football can be a game of inches, some of these idiots miss it by feet/yards. The technology to accurately spot a ball has been around for long time (gps and lasers), they need to start using it.

Final pet peeve of mine. Refs and the play clock. Saw it expire bf the 9'ers snapped the ball, before one of their TD's. Basketball has it, hockey uses one to signal end of periods, put a damn horn on the play clocks, if it goes off and the ball hasn't been snapped, penalty.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you saying that they weren't a "serious SB contender", after how they have been playing as of late?
With a poor defense and special teams, the Packers weren't a serious SB contender. Your defense can't crumble in the second half of playoff games. The poor run defense and an inability to cover TE's gets exposed. The 9ers lost Samuel which made them beatable and the Packers nemesis of poor coaching, special teams and run defense had the usual outcome. The 9ers really didn't do anything fancy. They just let the Packers special teams and run defense do the job for them.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The announcers agreed that Love had not touched the ground but was on someone. So his forward progress continued. But apparently no one paid attention. They claimed with a change of possession it was automatically reviewed. Not sure how that could not have been noticed.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
With a poor defense and special teams, the Packers weren't a serious SB contender. Your defense can't crumble in the second half of playoff games. The poor run defense and an inability to cover TE's gets exposed. The 9ers lost Samuel which made them beatable and the Packers nemesis of poor coaching, special teams and run defense had the usual outcome. The 9ers really didn't do anything fancy. They just let the Packers special teams and run defense do the job for them.
Yet, they spanked the #2 seeded Cowboys and had the #1 Seeded Niners on the ropes and possibly lost that game due to 2 missed kicks and 2 missed gift INT's.

I was waiting for someone to bring up Deebo as an excuse to why the Packers almost beat the 49'ers, thanks for not letting me down. Now I can use all the Packer injuries to players like Bahk, Dillon, Stokes, Ford, etc. as an excuse. :coffee:

BTW, the other team in the NFCCG, are the Lions. The Packers spanked them in Detroit on Thanksgiving and if you take away the garbage TD and 2 pt. conversion in the final minute, the defense only gave up 14 points to the Lions.

So yes, you keep telling yourself that this 2023 Packer team didn't finish the year legit and because of that need to make a bunch of changes. :rolleyes:

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The familiar, sentimental, visceral, excruciatingly painful feeling. Glad I get to share it with all of you, almost every year, like clockwork for the past decade and a half. Dating back to the ultimate triumph and elation of 2011, I can remember where I have been for each and every devastating playoff loss. They defined eras of my life; while everything has changed, Packers football has always been there (and usually a crushing playoff loss with it). The silver lining is that we did not expect the opportunity to feel this pain this season, and I wouldn't trade it; the touch of grey is that we SHOULD have won this game. It was not only there for the taking, it was in hand.

While phrases like "bright future" and "house money" will be used, these opportunities are rare and precious.

This was a really odd game; it is difficult to pinpoint anyone who stood out as a stud or a dud, with one obvious exception...So here are a few final thoughts on the game and season.

-Repeatedly coming up short in the red zone was a bad omen, you can't put up 6 in 3 trips in this game

-Savage dropping the pick 6 was also a bad omen, obviously the exact opposite of what happened last week

-Love played his worst in the 4th quarter, which is a bit concerning, but he was the best QB in football for about 10 weeks, so still have to be optimistic. He lost his mind on that last throw though. That was on FIRST down, so unbelievably unnecessary. Not only shades of Favre, but literal Favre.

There's obviously way more than this, but it's just exhausting and depressing to go through all of it, but despite everything that transpired, we STILL SHOULD HAVE BEATEN the number-one seed Super Bowl favorite in their house as a 10-point underdog after a 2-5 and 3-6 start. No one could have every imagined we would have been here. I was a skeptic of both Love and MLF, but they have made me a believer. I am so pumped for the draft, free agency, team-building, and the future of Love and the young crew. Is it training camp yet?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that you're looking at the defense with old glasses. It sure sucked during the middle of the season. However, give credit where it is due. They did a heck of a job at the end of the season and in both playoff games. They had injuries (J'aire, Quay, and Engbare) in the second half of the Cowboys game and started putting in backups. The game was out of reach and smartly, I think that we started thinking about resting some players for San Francisco.

Against SF, our defense was pretty good all game. We held one of the best offenses to 24 points albeit in the rain. What really failed was the offense. To start the second half, we went 75yds for a TD. After that, we had drives of 4 plays, 4 plays, 3 plays, 6 plays, and 4 plays. We didn't use Aaron Jones as much on those drives, even though he had the one 50yd run. The defense got pounded on because we couldn't sustain drives. I'm certainly no Barry fan and want him replaced, but I'm not laying this on him. He did a good job of turning things around. He didn't drop two sure interceptions or miss wide-open tackles on McCaffree.