Resign one of the 3?

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Shields is a must-sign and I'd do it sooner rather than later. If we do it now, we can probably get a discount rate on a guy that is only improving and already proven to be a ball-hawk. If he puts up another good season, his asking price will only increase.

As for Raji, there are two major factors working in his favor: (1) there aren't a lot of big men like him that will drive up his price and (2) we don't have anyone near his talent to replace him. I think the Pack will do whatever it can to keep him around. I would not be surprised if they wait a little bit (i.e. don't want to take on a third mega-deal this off-season) and hope to resign him next year, knowing they can always slap the franchise tag on him.

Finally, I agree with some of the assessment of Jones. He had a great year, but he's approaching 30, isn't anything special - just steady, and TT is very good at drafting WR's. With Jordy's contract also coming up soon, I bet they invest in him rather than Jones.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have enough $ after we pay our draft picks to resign one of these 3 players: shields, jones, raji.

Should we resign one? None? Carry the cap over til next season and use it then?

The Packers will have more flexibility than you'd think, Rodgers cap number doesn't exceed 20 million after this upcoming season and I believe that Matthews cap number will drop a bit as well after 2013. Meaning GB can structure extensions to Raji, Jones, Shields contracts so that they get their payouts down the road.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All three will be resigned. TT will not sign free any agents...again, but use the money to bring back these guy's. Which is fine if this draft class dominates. I will no longer approach the off season with the hopes that TT is going to really sign anyone vs just having people visit getting us all excited....ever. There should be enough money to bring back all three.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will have more flexibility than you'd think, Rodgers cap number doesn't exceed 20 million after this upcoming season and I believe that Matthews cap number will drop a bit as well after 2013. Meaning GB can structure extensions to Raji, Jones, Shields contracts so that they get their payouts down the road.

How do you see the numbers coming together? How much for each player? Ect

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
He has been inconsistent though. Rookie year was slow. 2010 was great. Regressed quickly in 2011. Solid in 2012. He is either pro bowl level or you forget he is on the field.
Yea, but rookie year he had to learn the job, he had Jenkins in 2010, readjust in 2011 without Jenkins, more solid defense in 2012 with Neal, Worthy and seasoning of Wilson. I think he's a guy you will see more if he has more talent around him. When you ask one guy to take the lion's share of the line's duties he's naturally going to disappear a bit. I think the knock on him is people expect impact plays and that's not how this defense works.
Tell ya what ivo, remember the knock on Neal was that he took plays off when he was drafted? He played almost every down in college. What was the knock on Worthy? He took plays off. Now people are saying Raji takes plays off. Pickett? You see no splash plays? Why not? Is he taking plays off? Go read some scouting reports on Datone Jones, guess what one of his supposed negative traits is? Yep, takes plays off.
It's a common frustration with the big guys but I submit that Raji is well above average for effort. He's going to get signed.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
let go of Tramon/Pickett/Kuhn/AJ
Keep James Jones (for at least another 2 years) - Sam Shields and BJ Raji (if he's not asking for more than 5 mil.)

Sorry but AJ is a bargain at the position at his current price and he's been an above average LB for us, strongly disagree. Unless we can draft and develop a project in the mid to late rounds AJ is here to stay.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea, but rookie year he had to learn the job, he had Jenkins in 2010, readjust in 2011 without Jenkins, more solid defense in 2012 with Neal, Worthy and seasoning of Wilson. I think he's a guy you will see more if he has more talent around him. When you ask one guy to take the lion's share of the line's duties he's naturally going to disappear a bit. I think the knock on him is people expect impact plays and that's not how this defense works.
Tell ya what ivo, remember the knock on Neal was that he took plays off when he was drafted? He played almost every down in college. What was the knock on Worthy? He took plays off. Now people are saying Raji takes plays off. Pickett? You see no splash plays? Why not? Is he taking plays off? Go read some scouting reports on Datone Jones, guess what one of his supposed negative traits is? Yep, takes plays off.
It's a common frustration with the big guys but I submit that Raji is well above average for effort. He's going to get signed.

I think the biggest problem with Raji is that people on this site stuggle with context.

The average packer forum fan's view of the matter goes like this:

Average fan: Raji plays too many snaps in comparison to the likes of Hampton and Willfork? BS, I play him every friggin snap in Madden, real life Raji is just a panzy!

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do you see the numbers coming together? How much for each player? Ect

Had it mixed up, here's Matthews' number:

2013: $6.71 million
2014: $11.0 million
2015: $12.7 million
2016: $13.75 million
2017: $15.2 million
2018: $11.4 million

Rodgers' number:

2013 $12 million
2014 $17.9 million
2015 $18.6 million
2016 $19.6 million
2017 $20.65 million
2018 $20.9 million
2019 $21.1 million

I'm surprised they didn't front end load those two deals more, I suppose you could extend both Raji and Shields by front end loading their contracts... but then again you'd think that Rodgers and Matthews would be the players to do it with. Eh Russ Ball has been a master of working out contracts and TT has been spot on with knowing who to keep and who to let go, I have faith that the team will make the right choices.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had it mixed up, here's Matthews' number:

2013: $6.71 million
2014: $11.0 million
2015: $12.7 million
2016: $13.75 million
2017: $15.2 million
2018: $11.4 million

Rodgers' number:

2013 $12 million
2014 $17.9 million
2015 $18.6 million
2016 $19.6 million
2017 $20.65 million
2018 $20.9 million
2019 $21.1 million

I'm surprised they didn't front end load those two deals more, I suppose you could extend both Raji and Shields by front end loading their contracts... but then again you'd think that Rodgers and Matthews would be the players to do it with. Eh Russ Ball has been a master of working out contracts and TT has been spot on with knowing who to keep and who to let go, I have faith that the team will make the right choices.

There's really no point to front-loading deals anymore under the new CBA. If you still have unused cap space, you can roll it over to future years. They might continue doing that as I believe they are still pretty reasonably under the cap this year.

12theTruth

Finley one of the best TE in the league and he is still young. Neither Shields or Raji is at the top of his position group in the NFL. So I think the Packers keep Finley as his franchise tender is also reasonable, slightly over $6 million.

If Raji insists on 9 to 9.5 million a year, Packers I think will let him walk and go with an aging Picket, a possible conversion of Boyd to N.T., possible free agent or #1 draft pick next year.

I like Shields. He is a GREAT cover corner but small and gets abused by bigger receivers. I don't see the Packers giving him a huge payout either. We are deeper at CB so if the Packers don't get a number that is comfortable he may also not be back.

There are 15 unrestricted free agents in all. Hell of a bunch this year.

After everything shakes out I predict the following players will not be with the Packers after this season

John Kuhn
Evan Dietrich-Smith
Sam Shields
B.J. Raji
C.J. Wilson

Last edited by a moderator:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the team finds money with Picket and Williams either being let go or reduced. Both have younger cheaper and arguably equally effective options behind them. Pickett might stick around at a much reduced salary and work load, not sure what he might do.

-Resign Shields now, if he has a big year his price tag could go up by another 3-4 million.
-I'd resign Raji as well too, Packers should be able to get an affordable rate for him.
-Finley, I'm not sure with him. On one hand he's a beast but much of his play can be duplicated by other Offensive weapons. A receiving trio of Cobb Jones and Nelson is still pretty formidable even without Fin.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finley has played great lately but I look at his recent performance with skepticism. He's playing for a contract. Thompson won't pay for past performance and I think we're seeing Finley's ceiling as a player. My willingness to resign him depends entirely on his number and the replacement options in the market.

Raji looks better when playing alongside some "nasty attitude" guys on the defensive front; I suspect his natural temperament isn't to be mean and that it helps to have some bad ***** around him.

I like Shields a lot. More than Tramon.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
All three. I think it's apparent after watching the Patriots last week how important receiver chemistry is. Jones is really important to our offense.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see Finley and Raji going through similar train of events that Jones went through during the 2011 off-season. No way do they get big bucks or a lot of attention from other teams. Yeah the talent is their but their execution has never been consistent to say the least, just like Jones back then, and other teams know this. I could see other teams only offering them deals similar to what the packers will offer them. So my guess on these two is TT lets them test the waters knowing there is a good chance they will come back after seeing the reality of their market.

Jones should be resigned but only with his age in mind. I would rather have him a year too short than too long. I think the two sides have shown each other enough mutual respect over the years that Jones will be resigned to a very fair deal for both ends.

Shields needs to show more if he expects big money. He hasn't looked anywhere near as good as he did last year and this will definitely affect his value for us as well as on the open market. So he could be resigned for a very reasonable deal if he doesn't pick up his play.

So again with Pickett and Kuhn off the books as well as Williams probably taking a hit (and hell Finley would probably be resigned for less then he get now) I could see the Pack resigning 3 or maybe all 4 of these guys without really hurting their ability to resign guys like Cobb and Bulaga in the future.

One problem I do have with all of these guys (with the exception of Jones now) is that they seem to be very up and down, inconsistent players. I don't know if resigning them to a long term deal would really be a good thing, but like I said this will hurt their value on the open market which definitely helps us cap wise.

peteralan71

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If anybody is gone of these it will be Shields due to our depth. House and Hayward are too good to be kept off the field as a non-starter. I feel like Jones will get more money but not Jennings money so ARod will go to bat for him as we'll as for Finley if he continues to play well.

TCHickman24

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know it's premature at this point, but what are the chances of Jolly sticking with the Pack after this year? Seems like all of DL are up for free agency...

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO I think it is looking less and less likely that Raji will be extended. The current D-line is very deep, and Raji's role has already been reduced. I suppose it's still possible for him to return if he wants to do so for a substantial hometown discount, but they aren't paying him elite player money for a part-time player.

I think Shields is becoming a pretty key re-sign as I don't see any other corners on the team that can be trusted like him to virtually shut down a side of the field. Tramon is starting to get up there and he is a FA after next year.

If we could keep all of Shields, Jones, and Finley, I'd be thrilled, but I think 2 of the 3 is most likely with Raji moving on.

Members online

Latest posts