Report: We aint trading for Moss

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN Cold Pizza just said the packers have no interest in trading for Moss. And, the only way they will pursue him is if he is released.

Cool, another year of Ruvell Martin & K-Rob

Why would we want to compete for a superbowl anyway when we can develop young players so they can jump ship for big free agent contracts. Good stuff.

If we dont get a game breaking receiver or tight end, no way i will renew my directv.

Reaction score
The Packers aren't just Randy Moss away from the Superbowl.

Whether they get Moss or not, they still have quite a few holes they gotta fill.

BTW - Martin really came into his own near the end of the season. Having 100 yards receiving AGAINST THE BEARS shows he has some real talent and can produce.

OP
OP
F

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
The Packers aren't just Randy Moss away from the Superbowl.

Whether they get Moss or not, they still have quite a few holes they gotta fill.

BTW - Martin really came into his own near the end of the season. Having 100 yards receiving AGAINST THE BEARS shows he has some real talent and can produce.

Ok buddy. Ruvell is great.

If we had Moss, the number of pieces we need would significantly decrease. Honestly, if we had Moss. I think we would be a decent running back, reliable tight end, decent replacement for Popinga, and an awesome safety away from having as good a shot as any to make the superbowl for a couple of years. The only other hard piece of that puzzle to get would be at safety. Deion Grant would have done it for us.

We're all packer fans here and we all want to see the team do well. But I mean, im just so tired of watching us sit back and look at the season as a business. Why we had and still have so much cap space if a freaking joke. Its not as if we can carry it over to the next season. Its like, do they want to win games or worry about the profit margin. The business side of sports just makes me sick.

If we dont get Moss or a big time playmaker at tight end or receiver, i will not be a packer fan anymore after Favre retires.

Reaction score

If we had Moss, the number of pieces we need would significantly decrease. Honestly, if we had Moss. I think we would be a decent running back, reliable tight end, decent replacement for Popinga, and an awesome safety away from having as good a shot as any to make the superbowl for a couple of years. The only other hard piece of that puzzle to get would be at safety. Deion Grant would have done it for us.

We're all packer fans here and we all want to see the team do well. But I mean, im just so tired of watching us sit back and look at the season as a business. Why we had and still have so much cap space if a freaking joke. Its not as if we can carry it over to the next season. Its like, do they want to win games or worry about the profit margin. The business side of sports just makes me sick.

If we dont get Moss or a big time playmaker at tight end or receiver, i will not be a packer fan anymore after Favre retires.

That last statement is wrong. A real Packer fan will stay one after Favre leaves, and even if Green Bay looses all 16 games the next year.

I never called Martin great, I said he has talent. Martin is young, good off-field guy, tall, and he was called a POOR MAN'S MOSS. Martin's only problem is his lack of speed.

You are over-hyping Moss's impact on a WCO. We need A speed receiver, not Randy Moss. While Moss would certainly inject some talent and playmaking ability, Shaun Bodiford could just as easily fill the role of Speed guy. Plus he has been compared to Isaac Bruce, which is no short feat.

I agree we need a decent RB. However, don't count on us drafting a starting TE in the draft. There seems to be a spot open for a #2 TE, and TT's draft history shows he'll go and draft a TE to be a backup and then replace Franks as the starter. Poppinga is too good at what he does to be replaced, the strong side LB has to have enough strength to shed blockers, and Poppinga being a former DE is the best man for the job. He is certainly better than any LB that was on the market this year. We don't need an awesome safety, just a safety like Mark Roman in terms of leadership ability. Collins is our "awesome" safety, and the future leader of the DB field.

Flap, there are still a couple of months left until Training Camp starts. The world will not end if TT doesn't pick up Moss. The NFL above all else, is a business.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't buy it. Here's why: many people are saying there's been negotiations for many months and Favre wants him to come.

What this is is a double smoke screen...it buys time in the negotiations from the prying public eyes and it lays the foundation to Al Davis that the Packers won't give him his price and he's stuck with his "prize" unless he does it Green Bay's way.

You see this crap from politicians all the time. I've coined it "The Theory of Opposites". When a politician makes a forthright announcement...."I'm for free lunches"....you can bet he/she will never tell of the behind-the-scenes work to END free lunches.

Moss will be a Packer, but not right now. It might be just before the draft when Al begins to lose his gourd, or before training camp.

One thing Al has to fear is that there's a deep pool of receivers this year and the Packers might well just pick one high leaving him again, "stuck with his prize".

OP
OP
F

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And i know that the best way to build your team is through the draft. Only problem is you have to be excellent at drafting in order for that to work. Not everyone can pull those diamonds out of the glass when drafting later in the draft.

Some teams just have to realize that you are going to have to get depth in the draft and hope to get lucky, but get your superstars in free agency and trades. I mean what is our first round pick this year going to get us vs what kind of already "NFL established" impact player we could trade it for. We might get lucky with the pick, but its like flipping coins vs what we already know about a proven 3 - 5 year veteran who is still pretty young and has another 5 - 8 years left to play.

OP
OP
F

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

That last statement is wrong. A real Packer fan will stay one after Favre leaves, and even if Green Bay looses all 16 games the next year.

I never called Martin great, I said he has talent. Martin is young, good off-field guy, tall, and he was called a POOR MAN'S MOSS. Martin's only problem is his lack of speed.

You are over-hyping Moss's impact on a WCO. We need A speed receiver, not Randy Moss. While Moss would certainly inject some talent and playmaking ability, Shaun Bodiford could just as easily fill the role of Speed guy. Plus he has been compared to Isaac Bruce, which is no short feat.

I agree we need a decent RB. However, don't count on us drafting a starting TE in the draft. There seems to be a spot open for a #2 TE, and TT's draft history shows he'll go and draft a TE to be a backup and then replace Franks as the starter. Poppinga is too good at what he does to be replaced, the strong side LB has to have enough strength to shed blockers, and Poppinga being a former DE is the best man for the job. He is certainly better than any LB that was on the market this year. We don't need an awesome safety, just a safety like Mark Roman in terms of leadership ability. Collins is our "awesome" safety, and the future leader of the DB field.

Flap, there are still a couple of months left until Training Camp starts. The world will not end if TT doesn't pick up Moss. The NFL above all else, is a business.

The world will not end but why would i want to subsidize a product that is more interested in pinching pennies than quality. The Redskins suck, but at least their owner tries. I could deal with mediocrity as long as ownership is doing its best to give me a good product. Ive been a packer fan for 16 years and i'll allways root for them. But i will probably not watch them as often after # 4 leaves. I will never root against them, but the interest just wont be there unless they are giving me a good product.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it may be accurate to say "have no interest" it cannot be said "have HAD no interest" because GB has obviously had an interest here.

I certainly don't buy into this as being the case all along unless ESPN thinks we are all idiots, or, something has happened since like yesterday to prompt that type of statement.

Curious and far removed from everything else we all have been hearing.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
ESPN Cold Pizza just said the packers have no interest in trading for Moss. And, the only way they will pursue him is if he is released.

Why would we want to compete for a superbowl anyway when we can develop young players so they can jump ship for big free agent contracts. Good stuff.

If we dont get a game breaking receiver or tight end, no way i will renew my directv.

The Raider forum claims Bayless as stating this, if that is the case, it is probably incorrect or "old" information. One poster on that board said it is the same report on Moss that he gave last week:)

Packman5

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cold pizza is a horrible source for sports news. those guys don't know their elbow from their *** on that show. don't look too much into what they say.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could be if The Packers show too much interest in Moss, Al Davis might up his price, maybe wanting a higher draft pick or multiple picks for Moss. IMHO this is just the "Game" being played out.
The deal will get done if it gets done, TT has shown he is not going to overpay for any player unless he is convinced that player will make an immediate impact(IE: Woodson). Let Al Davis start to squirm a little as the trading deadline comes ever closer, he will make the deal if The Packers truly want it.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's funny how far apart different reports on this are.

One group is feeling VINDICATED that it is being said a deal is about to happen (because they were scoffed at for saying so) and another source is saying basically nothing EVER has been considered regarding Moss coming to GB.

Leaves a rather wide range for speculation wouldn't you say?

One thing IS for certain. One side is way off. Somebody's eating some serious bird meat after this gets said and done.

Pack93z

Reaction score
On the packersnews.com site as an update... the shell game continues:) This is more fun than WATERGATE ever was, lol.... Or WILD BILL and the intern:)

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070315/PKR01/70315132/1989

Thompson: Moss trade talk is 'wild speculation'

By Rob Demovsky
[email protected]

Ted Thompson, the Green Bay Packers’ general manager, this afternoon dismissed a report that a trade to acquire receiver Randy Moss from the Oakland Raiders was imminent, saying it was nothing more than “wild speculation.”

In a statement released by the team’s public relations department, Thompson said: “We dismiss this report as wild speculation.”

And more....

This just in....

They interviewed the Boston Herald reporter who broke the story on the Madison's ESPN affiliate. He said his source has never been wrong and he fully expects denials until the deal is officially announced. By rule, they must deny it because of tampering. He also said it could be announced as early as tomorrow or it could be after the draft. He was born and raised in Milwaukee and that is how he has the Wisconsin source who he would not name.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

LOL. right. We didn't get a Randy Moss last year, and we got this kid in the draft who made the roster, and seems to be a pretty popular WR now. You're sillyness makes me giggle like a little girl, and I thank you for it.

Reaction score
On the packersnews.com site as an update... the shell game continues:) This is more fun than WATERGATE ever was, lol.... Or WILD BILL and the intern:)

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070315/PKR01/70315132/1989

By Rob Demovsky
[email protected]

Ted Thompson, the Green Bay Packers’ general manager, this afternoon dismissed a report that a trade to acquire receiver Randy Moss from the Oakland Raiders was imminent, saying it was nothing more than “wild speculation.”

In a statement released by the team’s public relations department, Thompson said: “We dismiss this report as wild speculation.”

And more....

This just in....

They interviewed the Boston Herald reporter who broke the story on the Madison's ESPN affiliate. He said his source has never been wrong and he fully expects denials until the deal is officially announced. By rule, they must deny it because of tampering. He also said it could be announced as early as tomorrow or it could be after the draft. He was born and raised in Milwaukee and that is how he has the Wisconsin source who he would not name.

Wow.

This gets more intense, and stranger, by the second!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

By Rob Demovsky
[email protected]

And more....

This just in....

Thanks for the great info. It's really been a strange day so far. I guess it's a wait and see game for us fans.

Personally that deal looks really good for the Packers.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is getting ridiculous.... now that TT has fully denied it as wild speculation... i guess its nothing more than wishes.
I feel like TT isnt lying or holdin out because the guy who is saying the deal is imminent is also saying they will deny everything because it could be tampering.... but right now its open market, and trading is ok. so talking or doing anything would be fine. i think

well it was fun while it lasted.

i know one thing.. i am not gonna be able to wait until after the draft to know if this is happening or not. im dying here just wondering.
Its fun playing the madden style offseason, where everything is possible and what not. but im gonna need a little closure.

Chevelle2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is getting ridiculous.... now that TT has fully denied it as wild speculation... i guess its nothing more than wishes.
I feel like TT isnt lying or holdin out because the guy who is saying the deal is imminent is also saying they will deny everything because it could be tampering.... but right now its open market, and trading is ok. so talking or doing anything would be fine. i think

i know one thing.. i am not gonna be able to wait until after the draft to know if this is happening or not. im dying here just wondering.
Its fun playing the madden style offseason, where everything is possible and what not. but im gonna need a little closure.

LOL at people losing hope. Hey buddy, TT CANT say anything about this trade. He HAS to play dumb. otherwise? its called TAMPERING

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not sure what the rules of tampering are but I do believe that the Packers and Raiders would have to come to an agreement before either can say anything. If that's the case then both would have to keep their mouths shut and suggest that it's speculation. I believe a deal cannot be announced until it's finalized. Hence neither is willing to acknowledge the deal. Personally if something isn't made public tonight or tomorrow morning then I'm going to just ignore everything.

I hardly believe the reporter from Boston makes this report on a major paper none the less, without being 100% confident that his source is right on the dot. R.P. gives us this report a day before. Then the reporter defends his story as 100% legit on the radio. So it's really bizarre right now. I wouldn’t rule anything out at this point.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm confused. How is it tampering if TT is talking to Oakland about a trade for Moss?
Teams are talking to each other every day about trades.

Why is this different or something TT can't do or say he's doing?

Pack93z

Reaction score
I'm confused. How is it tampering if TT is talking to Oakland about a trade for Moss?
Teams are talking to each other every day about trades.

Why is this different or something TT can't do or say he's doing?

I tried to find a link with an overview of the rules per NFL's book, any player under contract with another team, can not be in contact nor discussed without permission of the team with rights to that player. Apparently Mr. Davis has not signed off on Moss to seek a trade nor given his agent permission to discuss nor seek a trade with another team. Basically he is trying to control the deal, which he has rights to. If there are discussions going on, TT is probably making sure that nothing being said could harm the process in any way. Which makes Harlan statement make some sense today. Deny it all until Mr Davis allows it to go public.

*EDIT*
An example case... http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/NYJ/9970387

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thanks porky and pack93... that makes sense...

its not tampering to talk to another team about a trade... but once discussions have started its tampering to talk, because it could affect the deal somehow.

and you can never talk to a player about a trade unless he has been given permission and in this case he hasnt.

that makes everything much more ambiguous....

so it could be that they are very much so in talks of a trade... but they cant say anything.

or they really havent discussed a trade at all and its wild speculation.
gay.

Members online

Latest posts