Projecting the 53 Man Roster

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Thinking Burks and Bolton to IR with one or both designated to return.
There is no "designated to return." You go to IR then when healthy are eligible to return after 8 games (not weeks.) First come first served. Max of 2 players.
Wanted to IR Crosby designated to return, and keep Ficken.
You have to make the 53 before you go to IR if you want to be able to return. Anyone IRd before the 53 is lost for the season. Unless you jump through hoops which include a period of FA.

At least you didn't put someone currently practicing on the PUP list like some have.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, thanks Poppa San. Those details are not my strength. If you want to discuss cap issues, I'm not your guy for that either... appreciate it though.

D

Deleted member 6794

TE - Nearly left Jimmy Graham off of this 53. I believe it is that close. Mercedes is a lock IMO, especially being #1 run blocking TE in NFL.
WR - Thinking they trade MVS. IR ESB. Rodgers will make hay tossing to this group. Every WR here runs great routes and finishes.
ILB - Thinking Burks and Bolton to IR with one or both designated to return.
ST - Wanted to IR Crosby designated to return, and keep Ficken. Game of "keep away" from NFCN. Scott has shown why he was drafted.

Lewis was the best run blocking tight end in the league two years ago. He didn't excel in that area in 2018.

There's absolutely no reason to trade MVS, especially not if the Packers don't yield a player in return capable of starting immediately.

The talent level at inside linebacker would be a disaster waiting to happen enteribg the season with only Martinez, Summers and Sheldon.

With Crosby not being injured there's no way the Packers could place him on IR.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Trading MVS would be ill-advised not just because he's a starter, but because he's the offense's primary speed element. Petals wants a lid lifter, just like Shanahan and McVay feature in their respective offenses. The lack of that element was one of the most debilitating factors for him in Tennessee last year. The closest thing he had to work with was Taywan Taylor, who isn't overly fast (4.50), doesn't have a large catch radius, and has questionable hands.

If defenses don't fear you down the field, then everything gets condensed and operation of the offense becomes more difficult. I fully expect MVS to be a low volume WR, but his presence on the field will be an important factor even when he's not catching the ball.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I agree with you, Pokerbrat2000. I'm of the thinking Ty Summers is the #2 ILB, even with Burks on board, though Burks may be better in coverage with his previous experience at S in college. Bolton is a good player though. He's smaller, but doesn't play small. Great blitzer, as is Summers.

Ty Summers may turn out to be a steal. His athleticism is off the charts, and he's got true football smarts. Driven on the level of Blake Martinez in that respect. Summers is also one of two additions this offseason with ELITE RAS and SPARQ ratings for athleticism. The other being Rashan Gary. One other has an ELITE RAS rating, and that is OT Yosh Nijman.

I agree that Summers might turn out to be a steal... if he hones his tackling with more reps... but Pettine is using him in the same role as Martinez. He's Blake's backup. Thus, I can't see him starting alongside him in the other LB spot. The responsibilities are different.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lewis was the best run blocking tight end in the league two years ago. He didn't excel in that area in 2018.

There's absolutely no reason to trade MVS, especially not if the Packers don't yield a player in return capable of starting immediately.

The talent level at inside linebacker would be a disaster waiting to happen enteribg the season with only Martinez, Summers and Sheldon.

With Crosby not being injured there's no way the Packers could place him on IR.

I did qualify Lewis was not utilized last year because McCarthy never ran the rock. So, what? Does that automatically make Lewis a lesser blocker?

On MVS, I was intimating he is the bigger trade chip. Prior to injury, I was thinking ESB was the player I would rather part with, if we had to choose one. Of course, Geronimo would bring value in trade, but he’s in a contract year. Not thinking of just giving a player away, like MVS, but what we could reasonably get back in return.

If the end goal in trading any WR we have as surplus to get a top talent at, say, ILB, or a higher quality backup OT, or RB, you have to have an attractive trade piece. That was my thinking.

I’ve got nothing against MVS at all. I like his size/speed and his ability to take the top off a D. Really just considering reasonable trade possibilities.

There are a good many teams that would be happy to add MVS or Geronimo to their WR corps. Trade partners are out there.

Our options are to find a trade partner, or just hope Lazard or Shepherd (who I think should not be exposed) clear waivers to be signed to our PS. I think the latter is a joke. Neither would last on our PS. Considering that, I’d rather make a trade to get a more substantial return.

On Crosby, agree, but did he not just return two weeks ago from a calf injury? It was just an idea, and I don’t believe it is too far fetched. Certainly out of the box. No big thing. Gutekunst did say in yesterday’s presser they were carefully considering their options at K with Crosby/Ficken.

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course there are teams that would be happy to trade for MVS. He's good.

So why would we trade him? He brings an element to our team that nobody else does.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FINAL 53 MAN PREDICTIONS - Dantes thanks for starting the thread cause I too am hopeless lol. Mix of what I would do and what I think Gutey would do.

QB:
ARod starting. Kizer will backup Rodgers. I think Kizers upside more. Plus, if Rodgers goes down its the "end of the season" but I trust Kizer to lead (not a popular opinion). I think Boyle is replaceable. Kizer brings that big QB presence, while Wilkins runs the opponent RPOs and Air Raid scout offense. Boyle gets cut. Sorry not sorry.
  • A. Rodgers
  • D. Kizer
  • T: 2
  • RT: 2
RB: Jones, both Williams and Vitale. Jones cant handle 20+ carries will split time with the J. Williams and Vitale. Vitale brings special teams experience. If anything, Jones and Williams RBs gets hurt and Vitale carries the rock. Vitale has shown he can block and catch, thus making him a viable option at RB. If Vitale doesn't play in final preseason, hes a lock to make the 53 man roster. Bohanon is the veteran FB sprinkling in every now and then with blocking.
  • A. Jones
  • J. Williams
  • D. Vitale
  • T. Bohanon
  • T: 4
  • RT: 6
TE: Graham has to show up this season. Lewis should be on the field more. Rotate in the two younger guys (who will eventually replace the two veterans).* no change
  • J. Graham
  • M. Lewis
  • J. Sternberger
  • R. Tonyan
  • RT: 10
WR: Adams is the main threat. Allison is serviceable with great hands (though hes dropped a few this pre-season, uncharacteristic of him). EQ might be on 53 man roster then IR'ed for Lazard. Im actually very surprised by Davis. He has shown he can contribute on offense and special teams. Shep has shown he has the hands and can contribute to the team.
  • D. Adams
  • G. Allison
  • M. Valdes-Scantling
  • J. Kumerow
  • E. St. Brown (IR) --> A. Lazard
  • T. Davis
  • D. Shepard
  • T: 7
  • RT: 17
OL: My starting unit didn't waiver much: Bakhtiari - Taylor - Linsley - Turner - Bulaga. Taylor has experience and I don't see why packers should cut him. Taylor should be coming into the season with a vengeance. Injuries are inevitable. Slowly ease in Jenkins into the positions needed. If Bulaga gets injured, Move Turner to RT and slide Jenkins at RG. Patrick can fill in.
  • LT- D. Bakhtiari
    • A. Light
  • LG- L.Taylor
    • E. Jenkins
  • C - C. Linsley
    • L. Patrick
  • RG- B. Turner
    • J. McCray
  • RT- B. Bulaga
    • A. Light
  • T: 9
  • RT: 26
DL: Gary and Z.Smith rotate in on passing downs. Battle comes down to Lancaster and Looney.
  • K. Clark
  • D. Lowry
  • M. Adams
  • K. Keke
  • T. Lancaster
  • T: 5
  • RT: 31
EDGE: Smith bros take the job. Gary will surprise folks with his athleticism bending the edge but has growing pains in pass coverage and contain. Fackrell and Gilbert will rotate in.
  • Z. Smith
  • P. Smith
  • R. Gary
  • K. Fackrell
  • R. Gilbert
  • T: 5
  • RT: 36
LB: Martinez is a stud and will command the defense. If Bolton heals in time before Bears game, he starts next to Martinez. Burks will be on 53 man then IR (designate return)
  • B. Martinez
  • C. Bolton
  • T. Summers
  • O. Burks IR --> J. Crawford
  • RT: 40
CB: Tramon is the leader of the group mentoring and being the voice of reason for DBs (also can play safety). Talented DBs but needs to stay healthy. Hollman (great story) gets beaten by T.Brown last on chart. * No change
  • J. Alexander
  • T. Williams
  • K. King
  • J. Jackson
  • T. Brown
  • K. Hollman
  • T: 6
  • RT: 46
S: Amos and Savage starts. Campbell & Greene serves special teams, backup and Dime linebacker.
  • A. Amos
  • D. Savage
  • W. Redmond
  • R. Greene
  • RT: 50
ST: No Change
  • M. Crosby
  • J. Scott
  • H. Bradley
  • T: 3
  • RT: 53

V2. overall:
  • We tend to overrate our own players. I like Kizer more. Has in-game experience and better upside. IMO Boyle is replaceable (See Wilkins).
  • I will be the first to say I'm not a fan of Dexter Williams, thus far - so he's a candidate on PS. I see Vitale as a "superback" playing a mix of slot receiver, fullback and running back. I kept Bohanon on cause of similarity with the offense and main blocker.
  • Trevor Davis has really surprised me with his play on offense. He looked and played like a 4th year veteran. Darrius Shepard is the other guy who surprised me. Has been consistent and made incredible catches. J'Mon... J'Mon.. C'mon. He Gone.
  • Not surprised Bolton played over Summers. Will Bolton be able to make it through the season though or be put on IR before the season? IDK. Bolton looks to be fine walking without the crutches *reported by journalist - Not sure what to do once Burks comes back.
  • Surprised by the Mike Daniels cut... Josh Jones release shouldve been done way earlier, we all saw it coming * see my previous version
  • I can see us picking up RB, S, and ILB after cutdowns.
  • I really like our depths at WR and O-Line. Given this WR core is not the Super Bowl XLV core but I have not been this excited at WR in a while. I am worried about the ILB position, if Martinez is injured, we might be in trouble.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

On MVS, I was intimating he is the bigger trade chip. Prior to injury, I was thinking ESB was the player I would rather part with, if we had to choose one. Of course, Geronimo would bring value in trade, but he’s in a contract year. Not thinking of just giving a player away, like MVS, but what we could reasonably get back in return.

If the end goal in trading any WR we have as surplus to get a top talent at, say, ILB, or a higher quality backup OT, or RB, you have to have an attractive trade piece. That was my thinking.

On Crosby, agree, but did he not just return two weeks ago from a calf injury? It was just an idea, and I don’t believe it is too far fetched. Certainly out of the box. No big thing. Gutekunst did say in yesterday’s presser they were carefully considering their options at K with Crosby/Ficken.

The Packers shouldn't trade MVS no matter what as it would open up another position on the roster in need of an upgrade.

The league doesn't allow teams to randomly put healthy players on injured reserve to protect them from being claimed or signed by other clubs. Therefore playing Crosby on IR isn't an option.

RB: Jones, both Williams and Vitale. Jones cant handle 20+ carries will split time with the J. Williams and Vitale. Vitale brings special teams experience. If anything, Jones and Williams RBs gets hurt and Vitale carries the rock. Vitale has shown he can block and catch, thus making him a viable option at RB. If Vitale doesn't play in final preseason, hes a lock to make the 53 man roster. Bohanon is the veteran FB sprinkling in every now and then with blocking.
  • A. Jones
  • J. Williams
  • D. Vitale
  • T. Bohanon
  • RT: 6

Hopefully the Packers don't think about keeping two fullbacks on the roster.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully the Packers don't think about keeping two fullbacks on the roster.
The only reason I thought they might, lack of RB's behind top 2 that have shown they're worth keeping and with Vitale injured and FB reportedly being so important for them, they'd keep 2 and cut one after he comes back. That's if they really like Vitale as much as they said and he's not ready to come back yet.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Vitale was back. It was practicing and said he felt great, unless something else happened yesterday?

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Demovksy is predicting that Taylor will be traded or released before wk. 1

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Demovksy is predicting that Taylor will be traded or released before wk. 1

This honestly, depending on return could be an awesome move. I suspect we could get a solid contributor (even if aging one) at ILB like we need. I sense staff is quite confident with the young guys in the OL room if we didn't have Taylor....

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Quite possible. But why give up solid ,veteran depth?

Because in their opinion, the value of keeping a younger, cheaper, more controllable player as a backup is worth more than having a better backup who is older, expensive, and has two years left. You might also add in the value of any potential return they get from a trade. They might view Lane Taylor as a progress stopper for a younger guy.

I'm not saying that's the correct view, but my guess is that that's why they'd move him.

Reaction score
This honestly, depending on return could be an awesome move. I suspect we could get a solid contributor (even if aging one) at ILB like we need. I sense staff is quite confident with the young guys in the OL room if we didn't have Taylor....
IMO the only obvious position group I wouldn’t trade away is solid OL depth. We finally upgraded and we shouldn’t be in a hurry to thin our protection for #12.

Now that said. Obviously it’s always about cost vs benefit. We’d have to get a starter capable ILB that has verifiably experienced success covering in passing situations. Maybe Taylor and that 7th we just acquired? Overall for me, It would have to be a no-brainer type trade or I’m staying pat.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO the only obvious position group I wouldn’t trade away is solid OL depth. We finally upgraded and we shouldn’t be in a hurry to thin our protection for #12.

Now that said. Obviously it’s always about cost vs benefit. We’d have to get a starter capable ILB that has verifiably experienced success covering in passing situations. Maybe Taylor and that 7th we just acquired? Overall for me, It would have to be a no-brainer type trade or I’m staying pat.

Yes. Don't let what I stated as saying I'm all on board with...more I understand it if they like the young growth happening behind him and are comfortable it is worth the return.

I do like where you're head is with that combo deal idea....that would catch the attention of some teams.

H

HardRightEdge

25 Offense

3 QB

Rodgers
Boyle
Kizer

3 RB

Jones
J. Williams
Carson

1 FB

Vitale
[darkhorse: M. Johnson for Vitale]

8 OL

Bakhtiari - Jenkins - Linsley - Turner - Bulaga
Taylor
Patrick
Light [added after St. Brown is placed on IR]

4 TE

Graham
Lewis
Sternberger
Tonyan
[darkhorse: Baylis for Lewis; or Baylis if Sternberger goes to IR]

6 WR

Adams - Allison - MVS
Kumerow
Davis
Shepherd
[St. Brown - on initial 53, then immediately to IR]

25 Defense

5 DL

Lowry - Clark - Adams
Keke
Lancaster
[OLB Z. Smith in 3-tech rotation]

5 ILB

Martinez - Burks
[S Greene @ hybrid ILB]
[S Amos @ hybrid ILB if circumstances warrant]
Summers
Crawford [primarily core special teams]
+1 for trade/FA/cut down pickup
[darkhorse: Sheldon for Crawford or Sheldon in lieu of trade/FA/cut down pickup]
[Bolton to IR with possible injury settlement]

5 OLB

Z. Smith - P. Smith
Gary
Fackrell
Ramsey

6 CB

Alexander- Williams - King
Brown
Jackson
Holman

4 S

Amos - Savage
Greene
Redmond
[CB Williams if necessary]
[Campbell - PUP]

3 Special Teams

Crosby
[darkhorse: Ficken]
Scott
Bradley

Some PS Candidates

RB D. Williams
OL D. Allen [for Bears game intelligence; after that who knows]
Baylis [if not on 53]
WR Lazard
WR Moore [he should move on if he gets another offer]
DL Looney
ILB Sheldon
OLB M. Jones
CB Sullivan
S Matthews

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Martinez - Burks
[S Greene @ hybrid ILB]
[S Amos @ hybrid ILB if circumstances warrant]
Summers
Crawford [primarily core special teams]
+1 for trade/FA/cut down pickup
[darkhorse: Sheldon for Crawford or Sheldon in lieu of trade/FA/cut down pickup]
[Bolton to IR with possilbe injury settlement]

This alone should tell you and everyone else just how messed up the ILB position is.

Staff online

Members online