Projecting the 53 Man Roster

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm definitely convinced that this is an imposter that hacked into Brandon's account. Brandon has always had a tendency for being dramatic but he wasn't this dramatic.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I am starting to become convinced that someone hacked into his account.

This is who he's always been. He's just getting angrier because he can't convince anyone of anything. The more he tried to force his opinions, the more people got annoyed, and thus the more he threw tantrums.

D

Deleted member 6794

If they have a specific RB they really like, there are 2 advantages to trading for him. First, you get him for sure and don't risk the team not actually cutting him or another team getting him first via trade/waivers. Second, the additional time you have him to try and get him up to speed. Obviously, this advantage is dwindling fast.

But yes, if you think there will be enough quality guys waived to choose from, wait until team cut downs and grab a guy. But if there is really someone out their that you feel is head and shoulders above the rest, go get him and if it costs a guy you were going to cut anyway or even conditional 6th or 7th, might be worth it.

I don't believe there's currently a running back available head and shoulders above others, therefore it wouldn't be smart to give up something for any of them.

In addition a running back could most likely come in and play, having him a week early isn't a significant advantage.

I suspect that we might not sign a vet ILB until after week 1.

Assuming we'd be only want someone like T'eo for a few weeks until Burks is healthy (pick you preferred street FA), if he's on the roster week 1, his full salary is guaranteed. Now you're stuck with some dead cap when he's cut or you keep a player you're not in love with just to get over a short-term hump.

However, if you play week 1 with an emergency patch (Extra Safety? Fackrell? play a 'true' 5-2 alignment on running downs?) , get your patch job on the roster week 2, play 3-6 weeks, and cut him. You only pay him for 3-6 weeks.

I don't believe that to be a factor as most veteran inside linebackers currently without a job likely wouldn't break the bank.

Tre Carson might be our guy

I don't think so.

This is a serious question, not trying to be a sm*rt a&& (this time). How are other teams finding all these RB's late in the draft every year? Seems like the Seahawks do it every season, same with the Bears. Sure we got A. Jones, but other then that, our RB's drafted or picked up have kind of sucked. Is it the Packer OL, Coaches, system, Scouts or just bad luck?

The Packers offensive line not excelling in blocking for the run might be the main reason for it.

If you have to cut him to send a message, his million dollar contract (what's the minimum for a player like T'eo?) and cap hit smacks you in the face.

The minimum salary for a veteran like T'eo is set at $805K for this season. I highly doubt he will be offered significantly more at this point.

I’m guessing our “A team” is a top 10 run blocking unit just off the top of my head.

Unfortunately I highly doubt our starting offensive line is a top 10 run blocking unit.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am hoping that we have not seen our O line one little bit yet. I think it will be easier to jell this year even if we have to plug in after one or two injuries. I just think the whole team is going to be very interesting this year and right from the get go.

D

Deleted member 6794

I am hoping that we have not seen our O line one little bit yet. I think it will be easier to jell this year even if we have to plug in after one or two injuries. I just think the whole team is going to be very interesting this year and right from the get go.

I fully expect the Packers offensive line to excel in pass protection this season but they might continue to struggle blocking for the run.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Might as well jump right in... Here's my 53 as things stand today:

Offense 26

QB 2

Aaron Rodgers

Tim Boyle

RB 4

Aaron Jones

Jamaal Williams

Dexter Williams

Dan Vitale

TE 4

Jimmy Graham

Mercedes Lewis

Jace Sternberger

Robert Tonyan

WR 6

Davante Adams

Geronimo Allison

Jake Kumerow

Darrius Shepherd (PR/KR)

Trevor Davis (PR/KR)

Allen Lazard

OL 10

David Bakhtiari

Elgton Jenkins

Corey Linsley

Billy Turner

Brian Bulaga

Lane Taylor

Alex Light

Lucas Patrick

Yosh Nijman

Cole Madison

Defense 24

DL 6

Kenny Clark

Kingsley Keke

Dean Lowry

Tyler Lancaster

Montravius Adams

Deon Simon

OLB 5

Za’Darius Smith

Preston Smith

Rashan Gary

Kyler Fackrell

Randy Ramsey

ILB 3

Blake Martinez

Ty Summers

Brady Sheldon

CB 7

Jaire Alexander

Kevin King

Josh Jackson

Tramon Williams

Ka’Dar Hollman

Tony Brown

Chandon Sullivan

S 3

Darnell Savage

Adrian Amos

Raven Greene

Special Teams 3

K Mason Crosby

P JK Scott

LS Hunter Bradley

As always, there are a lot of moving parts at roster cut to 53. Ibraheim Campbell starting out with GB this year on the PUP is a bit of a blessing. I firmly believe he will return and will contribute at S.

QB - Self explanatory. Hope they can PS Manny Wilkins.
RB - I like Carson, but I think Dexter Williams is gifted, and as has been already noted here, we have not seen him with our #1 OL blocking.
TE - Nearly left Jimmy Graham off of this 53. I believe it is that close. Mercedes is a lock IMO, especially being #1 run blocking TE in NFL.
WR - Thinking they trade MVS. IR ESB. Rodgers will make hay tossing to this group. Every WR here runs great routes and finishes.
OL - Keeping 10. #1 job is insuring Aaron Rodgers has protection. Nijman IMO too valuable a developmental prospect to risk PS. Pure LT/RT.

DL - Could see keeping 5, but, those big dudes comfortable in system are not always easy to find. Simon provides nice insurance, been solid.
OLB - Not a Fackrell fan, but open to see his improvement. Became a Ramsey fan. Nothing against Gilbert, and I do like Markus Jones.
ILB - Thinking Burks and Bolton to IR with one or both designated to return.
CB - Really, really want to keep Kabion Ento in this group, and he may remain in place of Sullivan. Great versatility/talent in this group.
S - Greene has been a star here, with many CBs able to roll into S if need be. I love that they are all in same room, CB & S.

ST - Wanted to IR Crosby designated to return, and keep Ficken. Game of "keep away" from NFCN. Scott has shown why he was drafted.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Might as well jump right in... Here's my 53 as things stand today:

WR 6

Davante Adams

Geronimo Allison

Jake Kumerow

Darrius Shepherd (PR/KR)

Trevor Davis (PR/KR)

Allen Lazard

WR - Thinking they trade MVS. IR ESB. Rodgers will make hay tossing to this group. Every WR here runs great routes and finishes.
Why on earth would GB trade-away MVS? Can a team EVER have enough 6'-4", 205 lbs. WR's who run good routes, great hands AND have 4.37 speed?? He and Adams are the current/future of this receiving corps... w/ Shepherd working his way into the slot eventually. Looking to trade a WR I'd think Allison has more value AND is more expendable.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do agree but question his hands. He and Rodgers have not connected much through TC. That is why. Plus, Allen Lazard ran a 4.55 at 6-5 227, and he has caught nearly everything.

It is great that he's THAT fast, but if he's not finishing plays with Rodgers throwing to him, then what? After posting two 100 yd receiving days last year, he had 2 catches or fewer in 5 of his last 7 games last season.

“Well, I just think it’s a comfort in the offense and, really, a comfort with his releases. I always say, for a young guy, the most important thing to do is to watch the older guy in the group. We’ve long had great role models in the receiver room … but now it’s Davante (Adams). What (Adams) does on a daily basis, his practice habits, his release patterns, are incredible. He’s a true pro’s pro, where he’s working on things every single day. I think MVS has really been watching him closely and picking things up and playing as fast as his time. I think that’s an issue with any player. You might time at a super-quick 40, but how fast do you play? It’s that football speed. It’s kind of the opposite for a guy like (former Packer) James Jones, who timed kind of slow, but he played fast. MVS is playing a lot closer to his 40 time speed, which is saying a lot because he’s pretty damned fast.” — Aaron Rodgers on Valdes-Scantling
https://www.forbes.com/sites/robrei...d-be-poised-for-a-breakout-year/#1bc787222420

Who is the bigger trade chip? Allison or MVS? I'm thinking with his cap friendly contract and his speed, MVS is. Geronimo and Rodgers seem more in synch. That's my reasoning. Aaron Rodgers likes his WRs that he knows he can count on. Just reading between the lines on his comments here, and MVS's play thus far. Hey, it is an insanely close call.

MVS catch % 2018 = 52%
Geronimo catch % 2018 = 67%

For reference, Davante Adams is regularly over 60%, with his lowest total being 53% in his 2nd season in GB, 2015.

Last edited:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I don't believe there's currently a running back available head and shoulders above others, therefore it wouldn't be smart to give up something for any of them.

In addition a running back could most likely come in and play, having him a week early isn't a significant advantage.

I don't believe that to be a factor as most veteran inside linebackers currently without a job likely wouldn't break the bank.

I don't think so.

The Packers offensive line not excelling in blocking for the run might be the main reason for it.

The minimum salary for a veteran like T'eo is set at $805K for this season. I highly doubt he will be offered significantly more at this point.

Unfortunately I highly doubt our starting offensive line is a top 10 run blocking unit.

Thank you for being an adult and attempting to keep the thread from being hijacked.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally dig this kind of stuff. The personnel side is fascinating to me, and have been following that aspect of the game since the early 90's.

I'm really wondering what the extent of Curtis Bolton's injury is. I saw a report this morning that he was walking around the locker room with no brace on his knee yesterday. If he's able to play, and his injury is not serious, that would be super cool. What happens in that scenario? Do we ditch another promising player from a different position to keep Bolton as a 4th ILB? For when he is ready to return?

Seems like this roster is deep in talent, and that our PS designated players will be picked over quickly. A really deep 70-90 man roster will do that, making the actual 53 that much more important. Always have to account for positions 53 and 52 to be somewhat fluid, given possible signing(s) after roster cuts. It is early, but Gutekunst seems adept at evaluating talent. This only gets more interesting.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm really wondering what the extent of Curtis Bolton's injury is. I saw a report this morning that he was walking around the locker room with no brace on his knee yesterday. If he's able to play, and his injury is not serious, that would be super cool. What happens in that scenario? Do we ditch another promising player from a different position to keep Bolton as a 4th ILB? For when he is ready to return?

Honestly, the concern over Bolton has me a bit baffled. Even the concern over Burks was a bit of a head scratcher IMO. I get Burks a bit, he was slated to most likely be the starting ILB, but still he had to prove himself and never had the chance. Also, from what we saw of him there last year, I wasn't too impressed.

But Bolton? The guy really hasn't done a thing and yet people are making a big deal out him. UDFA rookie, that if healthy, probably would be fighting for a late roster spot on any other team, but due to Burks injury and the lack of any depth, he was about to get shoved into the starting lineup. If anything, his injury might have been a blessing in disguise, that is if it forces the Packers to actually go out and sign 1-2 ILB's to improve the position.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bolton plays with a lot of energy. From what I saw though one game I was not impressed at all, the next was better. He has the heart I think and you can't teach that. But play wise I think he has a lot to learn.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you, Pokerbrat2000. I'm of the thinking Ty Summers is the #2 ILB, even with Burks on board, though Burks may be better in coverage with his previous experience at S in college. Bolton is a good player though. He's smaller, but doesn't play small. Great blitzer, as is Summers.

Ty Summers may turn out to be a steal. His athleticism is off the charts, and he's got true football smarts. Driven on the level of Blake Martinez in that respect. Summers is also one of two additions this offseason with ELITE RAS and SPARQ ratings for athleticism. The other being Rashan Gary. One other has an ELITE RAS rating, and that is OT Yosh Nijman.