PI reciewable

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think this is a bit of a step in the right direction, but not entirely sure how it'll work.

for an incident like in the LA/NO playoff game, i think the booth should be able to bring that to the officials attention as it was a CLEAR mistake by the officials, i don't think these should be used liek a challenge from the coaches

OP
OP
M

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't be miserable, one day I'll just turn it off. So now we don't know what a fumble is. We're on year 5?6? of not knowing what a catch is. If's 50/50 at best on replay if you agree with the officials or can accurately predict what they're going to call. Now we can add PI to the list. This should be fantastic. I can't wait for the return of the 40 yard bomb late in the game and they start acting like soccer players even more to get a call. Should be great for the game.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a PI on every play. There is a holding penalty on every play.

If I'm Lafleur, I wait till the end of the game and if I need a score I do a hail Mary and tell my receivers to just make contact with the DB. Free 70 yard play.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stupid.

Overreaction to one play.

I would be willing to make a small wager that if that play happened in the first quarter, no one would be talking about the play. It is because it happened with 3 minutes left in the 4Q.

In fact, I bet something happened in the first quarter that no one is talking about that would have been blown out of proportion in the fourth. Cry baby Saints got their way.

Saints let the Rams back in FG range (which is longer since they have BigLegGreg) They got the ball first in OT, Brees threw a pick and Michael Thomas tried to get another call instead of playing defense. And again, they didn't play defense and let the Rams back in FG range.

Bad calls happen, unfortunate timing. But terrible play calling, bad defense and a turnover lost them the game. Not the refs.

I am heated all over again.

OP
OP
M

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If I'm Lafleur, I wait till the end of the game and if I need a score I do a hail Mary and tell my receivers to just make contact with the DB. Free 70 yard play.
I haven't seen Replay make anything better, they get some right, they get some wrong, and leave a whole lot of gray in which some agree and others disagree. I don't have any illusion this will actually clear things up at all and with all the examples from the past 5 years, i'm not sure why anyone else thinks it will either? But I digress

One thing I am sure of, this will become a great tool that coaches and players will employ to get cheap yards at important times. Or they won't, and expanding replay to include this will be pointless and should have just been left alone. Judgement calls should be made by the official on the field. They'll miss some and I can live with it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hail Mary's are going to be mighty interesting.

I just really do not like this.

I have explained why I don't like this at all at length in another thread but just to be clear about it, coaches won't be able to challenge Hail Mary's as all reviews in the last two minutes of a half are still subject to booth review.

OP
OP
M

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so PI can't be reviewed in the final 2 minutes if a coach doesn't challenge it? Or the challenge booth won't initiate replay on any hail mary's? and this is about more than just a hail mary. need 15 yards, run a route, throw the ball into the area, stop the route, and initiate contact. Cheap yards with no intent to complete the play. they already play for the penalty on a lot of plays. Thankfully they have seemed to reduce the number of flags they were throwing on them. For a couple years it was out of control. Now they can run them and review them if they don't get the outcome they like? and inside 2 minutes a coach can't challenge, but the booth can. If there's contact and things what's the point of review if they aren't going to use it? PI reviews will still come into play for Hail Mary passes. It has to, or it's stupid to even do it in the first place.

D

Deleted member 6794

so PI can't be reviewed in the final 2 minutes if a coach doesn't challenge it? Or the challenge booth won't initiate replay on any hail mary's? and this is about more than just a hail mary. need 15 yards, run a route, throw the ball into the area, stop the route, and initiate contact. Cheap yards with no intent to complete the play. they already play for the penalty on a lot of plays. Thankfully they have seemed to reduce the number of flags they were throwing on them. For a couple years it was out of control. Now they can run them and review them if they don't get the outcome they like? and inside 2 minutes a coach can't challenge, but the booth can. If there's contact and things what's the point of review if they aren't going to use it? PI reviews will still come into play for Hail Mary passes. It has to, or it's stupid to even do it in the first place.

Once again, I mentioned that I don't like pass interference to be reviewable, was just pointing out a fact.

Reaction score
Slightly off track but do you all prefer PI flag being spot of the foul as it is now or do you prefer the 15 yards and automatic first down like college?

Reaction score
Alright, Vic.

Maybe I should change my name lol! I haven't read his stuff this week yet. Not sure how he is feeling about the rule change. I love the rule change but thats just me. Actually I think i remember him mentioning he wasn't for it.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe I should change my name lol! I haven't read his stuff this week yet. Not sure how he is feeling about the rule change. I love the rule change but thats just me. Actually I think i remember him mentioning he wasn't for it.
Just teasing you. Your comment is something Vic would say to a tee.

OP
OP
M

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Slightly off track but do you all prefer PI flag being spot of the foul as it is now or do you prefer the 15 yards and automatic first down like college?
Don't care, just make the ****ing rule and stick with it. You sometimes get cheap yards on a bomb with a spot foul and sometimes you're burned for a 60 yard bomb with time running out that would put them in FG range so you just tackle the receiver and all they get is 15 yards and no chance to kick a game winning FG.

Sometimes a 15 yarder makes more sense, sometimes a spot foul does. I'm fine with it how it is. Changing it fixes nothing, it just changes it and i'm not a fan of tinkering just to tinker with a game that has historically worked so well.

D

Deleted member 6794

I prefer pass interference being a spot foul. They should allow more contact in my opinion though.

Reaction score
I prefer pass interference being a spot foul. They should allow more contact in my opinion though.

This I can get on board with. People freak about PI because we have seen "weak" stuff called far too often. If there were a way to retrain our minds and ref and player minds, to allow more contact and not think its PI that would be ideal