Packers trade up to #21.....S Darnell Savage

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Silly goose.

Only the reports that validate our preconceived notions are good! Everything else is stupid and insane.

Agreed and when you read a rating as follows (from Walter Football), you have to wonder what 5 year old is writing them:

Oakland Raiders: Clelin Ferrell, DE/OLB, Clemson FARMER FAIL, GRIGSON GAFFE, CERRATO SUCKAGE, BAALKE BLOOPER, CHIP TRAGEDY, KING CALAMITY, SASHI SUFFERIN SUCCOTASH Grade Oh no. OHHH NOOOOO. Mike Mayock, what are you doing?

And I guess they thought that was so funny, its their new grade on picks they disagree with.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
LOL....Walterfootball? Really? You going to rely on that site?

Here is one right back at ya, if we can pick any random site:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...draft-final-quicksnap-grades-for-all-32-teams

or this...

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/27/nfl-draft-2019-team-grades-picks-analysis

Reuter? You mean the guy that gave Kevin King and Josh Jones A's? Lmao. Talk about a Tool.

Not even gonna comment on some Sports Illustrated hack.

Whether you want to believe it or not this draft was a failure of epic proportions. This is the straw that breaks the camels back. I'm very serious about this. Please save this post so people dont tell me i'm lying when it happens. Somwhere in November when the SHTF.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Reuter? You mean the guy that gave Kevin King and Josh Jones A's? Lmao. Talk about a Tool.

Not even gonna comment on some Sports Illustrated hack.

Whether you want to believe it or not this draft was a failure of epic proportions. This is the straw that breaks the camels back. I'm very serious about this. Please save this post so people dont tell me i'm lying when it happens. Somwhere in November when the SHTF.

So you use a Mel Kiper post last month to spout your "knowledge", which by the way has the Packers taking Clelin Ferrell with the 12th pick, a player your Walters Football site just lambasted. Did you bother to look up Mel Kipers grade for the Packers of this draft? I didn't and I don't really care, he gave the Packers an A- on their 2015 draft. LOL

My point was simply this and plenty of people have tried to make it and you just don't get it. We can all find others that agree with our theories, no matter how crazy they may be, that doesn't make us right or wrong.

Take a chill pill and see how this all works out. As obnoxious as you can be, I actually enjoy you being here, I think you add a certain....flavor to this Forum. So I would hate to see you leave or have a stroke. It's just football man, not life or death. We can all be right and we can all be wrong, but in the end.....we all should just be having fun!

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That sounds like a distinction without a difference.

To me quick twitch refers to the ability to engage in explosive movement while the recognition is what comes before a player physically reacts. Slowish players can make up for a lack of explosiveness with fast recognition and explosive players can get burned being too slow to react.

We're probably quibbling over semantics, Adderley seems to be physically explosive but as you said probably needs some time before he's ready.

H

HardRightEdge

To me quick twitch refers to the ability to engage in explosive movement while the recognition is what comes before a player physically reacts. Slowish players can make up for a lack of explosiveness with fast recognition and explosive players can get burned being too slow to react.

We're probably quibbling over semantics, Adderley seems to be physically explosive but as you said probably needs some time before he's ready.
You seem to make a distinction between the physical (explosiveness) and the mental (recognition). I don't; it's holistic. Guys with great 3-cones can look not that twitchy; guys with less than impressive 3-cones can look very twitchy. Anticipating the break instinctually, which includes internalizing study, practice and experience, and moving with the receiver into the break instead of reacting to it makes the difference, a combination of the mental and physical which really cannot be separated.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
https://m.cheeseheadtv.com/blog/a-p...ng-report-on-new-packers-s-darnell-savage-742

The Scouting Report

Athletic Ability...Savage has a small, yet athletic build with room on his frame to carry at least another ten pounds of bulk without the added weight affecting his overall quickness. He shows good arm and leg muscle definition, but his arms are slightly shorter than ideal (74 3/4-inch wing span/31-inch arm length), looking more like a ball carrier than an impact-hitting safety. Still, obvious by his pass theft and return figures, he shows good extension and natural hands to compete for the ball at its high point. He displays tight waist and hips, thick thighs and calves. He has to add more natural strength in the weight room, but has impressive upper and lower body flexibility (great contortionist going for the ball) and body control.

Savage runs with a short, quick stride, demonstrating above average flexibility, agility and balance moving in the open field. He has the foot speed (4.36 40-yard dash) to cover most receivers on deep routes and can quickly redirect and accelerate when his man gets behind him (good recovery burst). He is a fluid mover on plays in front of him, showing the plant-&-drive skills to come off the block and make plays at the opposite end of the field. He has excellent hand-eye coordination and natural hands, easily extending away from his frame to reach and pluck the ball at its highest point (see 2018 Temple, Rutgers games). He is becoming an efficient downhill tackler that makes lots of plays in front of him. He will sometimes round his cuts, but compensates with an explosive second gear and the ability to take proper angles to the ball when working in space. He displays the ability to accelerate quickly to the plays in front of him. He times his leaps properly and has natural hands for the interception.

Key and Diagnostic Skills...Savage shows very quick reactionary skills. He has that natural feel for finding the ball, thanks to his quick decision making that allows him to read and reacts in order to get to the ball in a hurry. He is seldom fooled by play action and misdirection, doing a nice job of keeping action in front of him. More than 35% of his tackles in his last two years came outside his territory, as he is alert to defensive breakdowns and feels it is his responsibility to serve as the “last line” for his unit. He is not the type that will bite on misdirection or play action, evident by his ability to easily read the quarterback and makes plays on the ball in flight.

He sets the tone of the game with his aggressive play and does not hesitate to close once he spots the ball. He has exceptional blocker awareness and because of that vision, he is able to slip through blocks to make plays in tight areas. He keeps his head on a swivel, tracking the ball in flight and times his leaps to get to the pigskin at its high point. He is not the type that will get over aggressive, but does hit with authority. He breaks on the ball well and gets a good jump from the hash.

Man Coverage Ability... Savage has great speed, which he couples with a quick plant-&-burst skill and he constantly keeps his feet moving, demonstrating above average change of direction agility. He is capable of being used to cover receivers one-on-one on deep routes (former cornerback), but is much more effective at playing the bump-&-run, as he rerouted receivers away from 26 pass attempts the last two years. Not only does he have the blazing speed needed to play in man coverage at the next level as a cornerback, but with his flexible hips and ease of movement when redirecting, he has no problem mirroring tight ends, slot receivers and running backs on underneath routes.

He gets a good jump on the ball to stay with the receivers in the short range area, using his hands well in attempts to impede the route’s progression. If playing in a system that will man him up on slots receivers and tight ends, he will do a very good job. He is just the type you need to cover the speedier receivers on deep patterns. He easily stays on the hips of the pass targets in the short-to-intermediate areas and when he gets his hands on the opponent and gets physical, he will generally reroute his man or jam him at the line of scrimmage.

Zone Coverage Ability...This is one of Savage’s better assets, as he is quick to read and react, using his speed and acceleration well to close ground on the ball. He consistently finishes plays with either an interception or pass deflection and has possibly the best vision and range of any safety at the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision level. He shows very good field vision and awareness, along with route recognition on his drop. He is adept at handling the switch-offs vs. backs and tight ends, showing alertness and a good feel for the ball.

He is quick to locate the pigskin when working in the box and gets a good jump on the play due to his ability to anticipate and diagnose the patterns (see 2018 Rutgers, Temple, Michigan games). He is an effective ball-hawk with natural hands for the interception. He does a good job of staying low in his pads while driving hard with his legs to neutralize receivers making plays in front of him. His vision and feel for the play will generally see him in position to make the tackle. The thing you see on film is his ability to fly up to the line quickly to support vs. the run.

Ball Reaction Skills...Savage is a calculating type who might take a few chances that will not be the norm for a safety, but he has very good vision to make the pick or break-up. He does a nice job of stepping in front of the pass. He is sort of a mind reader, as he works in perfect sync with what the quarterback is trying to do, making him more often than not in position to make a play on the ball. He is aggressive using his hands, resulting in him having success in jamming or rerouting receivers on passes targeted into his area. He gets an explosive break to close on the thrown ball and does a very nice job of locating and tracking the ball over his shoulder. What he excels at is chasing down the ball in flight, showing steady acceleration and timing to compete for the pass.

Hands...This is Savage’s best asset, evident by the fact that he is has set up six scoring drives via his eight interception returns (on the other two, he scored himself). While he has shorter-than-ideal arm reach (31-inches), he compensates with excellent leaping ability, timing and natural hands to reach and pluck the ball at its highest point.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bear in mind that Nick Collins also had 31 inch arms and a compact build while its unfair to compare Savage to a 3 time All Pro there are quite a few similarities including the speed vision and running back like build. Note that Collins came out of an FCS school as opposed to Savage whose accomplishments came against the likes of Ohio State.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This year I made a vow to not click on a single article involving draft grades and so far I have been able to keep it. Besides from the obvious I got tired of seeing the Patriots being praised for everything they do. Granted with their success maybe it warranted but still.

I did read the article on which units improved the most (Team A's WRs, Team B's Defense, Team C's OL) and to prove my point the last entry was the Patriots offensive physicality. I didn't know physicality was a unit. They didn't simply say the Patriots offense just their physicality. I think it must be written in every media persons contract that they have to say something positive about the Patriots in some way shape or form in 99% of the article they write.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This dude was listed at 5'10" 198.... A safety.....
Two fourth rounders and our #31 to move up to #21. And get a 5'10" 198 pound safety....
I don't care if he is fast. He will bounce off that 6'5" TE faster is all. And make it to week 6 or 8 maybe, before he gets torqued for the season....
Welcome to my nightmare

felix145

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This dude was listed at 5'10" 198.... A safety.....
Two fourth rounders and our #31 to move up to #21. And get a 5'10" 198 pound safety....
I don't care if he is fast. He will bounce off that 6'5" TE faster is all. And make it to week 6 or 8 maybe, before he gets torqued for the season....
Welcome to my nightmare

Yeah, just like Earl Thomas. The worst safety of all time.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Bear in mind that Nick Collins also had 31 inch arms and a compact build while its unfair to compare Savage to a 3 time All Pro there are quite a few similarities including the speed vision and running back like build. Note that Collins came out of an FCS school as opposed to Savage whose accomplishments came against the likes of Ohio State.
Collins BECAME Collins because Woodson taught him HOW to become Collins.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
There not winning more then 8 games. Certainly not going to any type of playoff. Playoffs are a thing of the past in Green Bay. It's not like I'm rooting against them but this team has lost 3 straight to the Lions. They haven't been able to win division games consistently at all for that matter.

Our rivals are adding offensive weapons while were making reckless gambles with our top picks and $ not maximizing our capital or even directing it in the correct areas.

I don't see the Packers as a contender right now. Rodgers will have to play at an MVP level to even have a chance. The chances of Adam's playing 16 games isnt good and the offense is not built or set up for a 16 game grind. If Rodgers game slips the least bit were a losing football team. How many "L's" that will be I'm not sure. If Adam's goes down I could see this team losing 10-12 games.
Man oh man I can't wait to bring this gem back up next January.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collins BECAME Collins because Woodson taught him HOW to become Collins.

This is true, hopefully the position coaches are aware of the simple principal Collins use. Don't try to learn the opposing teams entire playbook, just focus on a few tendencies and when you see one attack hard and decisively. Hopefully Savage will benefit from playing big kid football in college as opposed to FCS.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People don't give you S*** because of your opinions, it's given because of the way you conduct yourself here.

you seem to think that everyone here is blinkered into thinking that the packers organisation is perfect, when there have been plenty posts from many different people stating differently.

so again, wind your neck in, and stop acting like a petulant child when someone disagress with you, especially if they do so in a perfectly reasonable manner

This has nothing to do with the OP or Savage, I just wanted to take a moment and acknowledge this man for this post. I understand you did not charge into a burning building to save a kitten or child....nor did you face a hostage situation on without flinching....but you sir are my hero for the day.

When I go to the bar later I shall have a frosted cold beer poured and left with a note "This one is for scotscheese" because you sir deserve it!

:)

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with the OP or Savage, I just wanted to take a moment and acknowledge this man for this post. I understand you did not charge into a burning building to save a kitten or child....nor did you face a hostage situation on without flinching....but you sir are my hero for the day.

When I go to the bar later I shall have a frosted cold beer poured and left with a note "This one is for scotscheese" because you sir deserve it!

:)
awww shucks, you're embarrasing me

bit of a long trip to find that beer though

Reaction score
I’m not sure if this had been said, but he got picked at #21 overall. The same pick used on Haha Dix. While Dix was serviceable, if given the choice I’d take Savage instead of him at #21 even being blind to how Savage will fare.

Note: When Dix got drafted I texted my sister (also a WI native and huge Packer fan) that we drafted this exciting new safety by the name of
“HaHA Clinton-Dix”

She texted me back something to the effect of “Sounds like someone Id like to party with” :roflmao:

I swear that’s a true story, she’s a hoot!

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay is the first team in the league to sign a 1st Round Draft Pick in 2019, starting with Savage. Details to follow.

EDIT - Tongue-In-Cheek Moment(For me anyway): Savage will wear #26, which was most recognizable with Herb Adderley, the HOF DB....my mock had the Packers taking his great nephew Nasir Adderley at 30th Overall.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts