Packers set franchise record for short completions in 2015

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have anything against short passes but if you use it too much; the defense just starts playing tighter, looks for it, and it loses its effectiveness.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I don't have anything against short passes but if you use it too much; the defense just starts playing tighter, looks for it, and it loses its effectiveness.

Relying on short passes, especially if the deep ones aren't working most of the time, is a recipe for disaster.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The team combined for 91 completions of less than five yards last season. That was part of the reason for the team struggling in yards per attempt as well as completions and touchdowns on pass play of more than 30 yards, categories the offense dominated since Rodgers became the starting quarterback.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/goska /2016/07/18/no-gain-packers-passes-come-up-short-2015/87247242/

that was frustrating to say the least to see those short-pass plays. argggggh hopefully with jordy and eddie being a threat this season we will see more completions pass the 5 yard mark.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

that was frustrating to say the least to see those short-pass plays. argggggh hopefully with jordy and eddie being a threat this season we will see more completions pass the 5 yard mark.

It's interesting that the Packers still finished tied for second in the league on 25+ yards completions but didn't have a lot of 30+ yards pass plays.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's interesting that the Packers still finished tied for second in the league on 25+ yards completions but didn't have a lot of 30+ yards pass plays.

which is all relative and you have to wonder how dominate we would have been with long pass plays in that season.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

But if your receivers absolutly can not get separation downfield whatsoever. The only way to get them the ball is within the first 5 yards. That or run the ball all game!

It's true that the Packers receivers not being able to get open downfield was the cause for the high amount of short completions and the main reason for the offensive struggles in 2015.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
El Guapo...for me the answer is too many. That play is (like so many others) normally effective only when used sparingly.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is kind of surprising actually. We used to run a TON of screens back in the early/mid 90s.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well remember that this stat is about completions, meaning that the play gained less than 5 yards. It isn't actually telling us if it was a short throw.

Many of those screens in the 90s gained more than 5 yards.

JKJB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The team combined for 91 completions of less than five yards last season. That was part of the reason for the team struggling in yards per attempt as well as completions and touchdowns on pass play of more than 30 yards, categories the offense dominated since Rodgers became the starting quarterback.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/goska /2016/07/18/no-gain-packers-passes-come-up-short-2015/87247242/
Too many dump offs when no one was able to get open downfield. This was a problem all season long. Either need Jordy back to 2014 or better plays that will create match up difficulties for the D. Would be nice to see the tight ends become a threat again

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers don't use two tight ends on a lot of snaps and I don't expect that to change in 2016.
I disagree with that. The packers will line up 2 TE with redzone package regularly. With Cook and Rodgers being big redzone targets. We couldnt accomplish this with Quarless, but Cook is an ideal TE. Quarless was average at BEST!!

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I disagree with that. The packers will line up 2 TE with redzone package regularly. With Cook and Rodgers being big redzone targets. We couldnt accomplish this with Quarless, but Cook is an ideal TE. Quarless was average at BEST!!

While Rodgers has been productive in the red zone since entering the league Cook has mostly struggled in those situations. I expect the Packers to continue using a single tight end close to the opponent's end zone with Rodgers getting most of the snaps.

Yes! Especially if Richard Rodgers is the recipient! :whistling:

Adams struggled even more getting yards after the catch.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Cook may not be the guy, and therefore agree that we will probably stick with single TE sets - also because I think that our WRs will offer more opportunities than the TEs.

However, the Packers didn't run a lot of two TE sets with Mark Chmura and Ed West until we picked up Keith Jackson in FA. Then they punished teams with double TE sets. History doesn't dictate what a team will do. The capabilities of the current roster does. Dom Capers pretty much states and then demonstrates that every season, changing schemes and packages to utilize whatever is in the Packers' kitchen cupboard at the time.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Cook may not be the guy, and therefore agree that we will probably stick with single TE sets - also because I think that our WRs will offer more opportunities than the TEs.

However, the Packers didn't run a lot of two TE sets with Mark Chmura and Ed West until we picked up Keith Jackson in FA. Then they punished teams with double TE sets. History doesn't dictate what a team will do. The capabilities of the current roster does. Dom Capers pretty much states and then demonstrates that every season, changing schemes and packages to utilize whatever is in the Packers' kitchen cupboard at the time.
Nicely said.

Latest posts