Packers have a surprise at QB?

Reaction score
Putting Matt on the PS means another team that's interested would need to sign him to their "active" roster going into regular season. If GB does PS him, Matt would be unlikely to be fluent enough in a new system to serve as a adequate backup for at least half the regular season (see Tolzien) PS is a gamble, but the difficult decisions to trim fat sometimes allow vultures to snag a piece of fat that has quality meat still attached.
Good news is that other teams will also have the same dilemma.
This is also a great position to be in for once. We have 2 quality QBs, with promise, battling it out for a roster spot. competition does wonders

Last edited:

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Putting Matt on the PS means another team that's interested would need to sign him to their "active" roster going into regular season. If GB does PS him, Matt would be unlikely to be fluent enough in a new system to serve as a adequate backup for at least half the regular season (see Tolzien) PS is a gamble, but the difficult decisions to trim fat sometimes allow vultures to snag a piece of fat that has quality meat still attached.
Good news is that other teams will also have the same dilemma.
This is also a great position to be in for once. We have 2 quality QBs, with promise, battling it out for a roster spot. competition does wonders
Interesting, thanks. So picking a player up from the waiver wire means they have to be put on the 53 man roster? Maybe then they do waive Blanchard and keep him tucked away on the PS. that seems to make sense.

D

Deleted member 6794

cheeseheadtv today said "more than just a camp arm"

Once again, while Blanchard has been impressive during the offseason it's highly improbable that Thompson will give up on Hundley only six months after spending two picks to trade up for him.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Someone is having trouble following along. tynimiller responded to Ace who said Thompson has been good at drafting WRs by listing those WRs Thompson drafted. I completed tynimillers' list by posting "And of course four more from the two most recent drafts: Adams, Abbrederis, Janis, and Montgomery." And here's as non-sequitur a response as you'll see on this board:
Yeah Trent Dilfer has a SB ring too...... LOL

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, while Blanchard has been impressive during the offseason it's highly improbable that Thompson will give up on Hundley only six months after spending two picks to trade up for him.
Just passing on what cheesehead said. Simmer down captain

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone is having trouble following along. tynimiller responded to Ace who said Thompson has been good at drafting WRs by listing those WRs Thompson drafted. I completed tynimillers' list by posting "And of course four more from the two most recent drafts: Adams, Abbrederis, Janis, and Montgomery." And here's as non-sequitur a response as you'll see on this board:
Sorry for the insult Jack. I obviously meant to reply to a different comment on QBs. There have been some QB references on this thread. In fact the name of this thread deals with the QB position. So why the references to WRs? The point is, it doesn't matter.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm of the mindset that the best 53 make the final cut. Don't let draft pick statuses etc be the deciding factor. If Blanchard ends up looking the best and better than Hundley, then chances are, hes the better QB (at least at this stage of their short almost non-existent careers)

I wouldn't be scared of putting Blanchard on the final 53 over Hundley if he consistently looks better than Hundley does.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Sorry for the insult Jack TJV.
Apology not accepted. Under no circumstance was your post #34 (now deleted) appropriate. And that's the second time you've directed a post at me containing nothing but insults.

Last edited:

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Van Pelt said it all: He has to show up in games. We'll know more after a couple of pre-season contests, if he can get on the field.

He has impressed a couple of teams before, the Panthers and the Bears. Ultimately, he didn't impress them enough to stick around, but then, some guys take longer to develop than others (Kurt Warner comes to mind). I'm rooting for the kid, but the odds are not in his favor.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm of the mindset that the best 53 make the final cut. Don't let draft pick statuses etc be the deciding factor. If Blanchard ends up looking the best and better than Hundley, then chances are, hes the better QB (at least at this stage of their short almost non-existent careers)

I wouldn't be scared of putting Blanchard on the final 53 over Hundley if he consistently looks better than Hundley does.

The Packers most likely will keep Hundley based on potential. I don't expect him to show anything during this year's preseason warranting a roster spot for 2015.

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers most likely will keep Hundley based on potential. I don't expect him to show anything during this year's preseason warranting a roster spot for 2015.
While that's a likely outcome, I would observe that Thompson (1) signed Tolzien to only a one year deal and (2) traded up to take Hundley as you noted. I think these 2 events alone indicate that Thompson is not as sold on Tolzien as the #2 as many on this board would have it. Whether Hundley works out or not, the thinking would be that an upgrade at the #2 is needed.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
While that's a likely outcome, I would observe that Thompson (1) signed Tolzien to only a one year deal and (2) traded up to take Hundley as you noted. I think these 2 events alone indicate that Thompson is not as sold on Tolzien as the #2 as many on this board would have it. Whether Hundley works out or not, the thinking would be that an upgrade at the #2 is needed.
You thinking maybe the battle is actually Blanchard or Tolzien as #2 with Hundley pencilled in for #3?

H

HardRightEdge

You thinking maybe the battle is actually Blanchard or Tolzien as #2 with Hundley pencilled in for #3?
I suppose that's possible, but that's not what I'm expecting. I'm thinking Tolzien will be the #2 this year. My point is that the need for an upgrade is generally underappreciated, and drafting Hundley was a move in that direction for 2016.

I see Hundley on the roster only because somebody might pick him off the PS if he even made it that far.

Blanchard? Unless he goes wild in preseason, I don't see anybody stealing him away...PS is a possibility. And what are the odds of a QB going wild in preseason garbage time playing with 3rd. stringers? Not very good, I'd say.

Last edited by a moderator:

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This could be possible. Honestly, Tolzien hasn't shown me that much in past games to make him a shoe in for the #2 spot.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's cute that people actually think Hundley stands a chance of being cut. Absolutely adorable

D

Deleted member 6794

It's possible that it was Tolzien not wanting to sign a long-term contract as he may want to seek a chance to win a starting job in 2016. There would obviously be no chance for that to happen with the Packers.

IMO holding on to Hundley, who won't be ready in 2015, actually means Thompson has a ton of faith in Tolzien being able to win at least some games if Rodgers got hurt. Otherwise he would keep the QB more ready to produce this season or would have brought in a veteran backup.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's cute that people actually think Hundley stands a chance of being cut. Absolutely adorable

It's unlikely, but not impossible. I think he'll stick at least one year unless he really stinks up the joint.

H

HardRightEdge

It's possible that it was Tolzien not wanting to sign a long-term contract as he may want to seek a chance to win a starting job in 2016. There would obviously be no chance for that to happen with the Packers.
Possible. Doubtful.

Tolzien signed his $1.2 million one year deal for this season, a modest amount for a #2 NFL QB, before free agency opened. If he thought he had value in the market as a competitor for a starting job, why didn't he test it now?

The most plausible speculation would be that if his agent "drew interest from a handful of teams", as Silverstein put it, it would have been to compete for a backup job, without the $100,000 guaranteed in his Packer deal.

If the Packers offered Tolzien 2 year deal with more guarantees (a year in a contract without more guarantees is not year at all) and he turned it down, what pray tell, would he be expecting to happen in this coming season to increase his value? Perhaps an injury to Rodgers so he can get on the field? Perhaps, but that's not a likely eventuality. I doubt a player in Tolzien's position would leave guaranteed money on the table to roll the dice on that outcome.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
As a fifth rounder, wouldn't be much more of surprise than Brohm.
As poorly as Brohm played, they did keep him on the roster his rookie year. I expect them to keep Hundley on the 53 but if Blanchard not only outplays him, but looks to have a higher upside, that's too bad. OTOH, if Hundley gets a hangnail and has to spend the year on IR...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They obviously saw enough from Hundley to trade a couple picks to move up and get him. I don't see them giving up on him after 1 training camp. They're going to trust their evaluation and give him time to show he can get it or can't.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish we would have drafted Bryce Petty over Hundley.