Packerforum Mockdrafts

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm gonna start a thread where everyone can post their own mock drafts with or without argument and reason, so we all can read and agree/disagree with them. This is mine:

Overview:
1st Darrelle Revis
2nd Kenny Irons
2nd Eric Weddle
3rd Ben Patrick
4th Ikaika Alama-Francis
5th Laurent Robinson

Round 1:

TRADE: Green Bay trades #16 to Kansas City for their #23 and #54.

The Chiefs are high on Meachem and will trade up to snatch the speedy deep threat receiver with size that they have missed for so long before the Jets and the Titans.

The Packers trades down and acquires an extra second round pick.

With the 23rd pick in the 2007 NFL Draft Green Bay selects

Darrelle Revis, CB Pittsburgh
204 lbs / 5'11"

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

40 Yrd Dash: 4.38
20 Yrd Dash: 2.49
10 Yrd Dash: 1.46
Vertical Jump: 38
Broad Jump: 10'5"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.08
3-Cone Drill: 6.56

With this pick the Packers get a viable 3rd string CB for the season and a talented CB for the future. We are not very deep at CB and we are definately going to need a better CB than Walker, Dendy and Bush if Woodson or Harris goes down. If we don't add a top CB we can't afford any injuries to our CB tandem.

The Packers also covers another great need, a legitimate KR.

Darrell Revis is not just another fast guy, he has shown he can play and be a shutdown corner in college and has a big chance of developing into an NFL shutdown corner, he has all the tools you look for. With 4.38 speed he won't be outrun on deep routes and with 4.08 in his 20 Yrd shuttle and very fluid hips he has the tools to cover anyone in the league.

Can play both press coverage or man up with a little cushion, he can do it all because of his natural athleticism and ideal size for the postition. He hits as hard as any DB I've seen and plays with a mean attitude. Loves to compete.

Revis' instincts are top level, is very coachable, a good worker but not a workout devil like some has portrayed him as. Also he has a positive locker room influence and isn't cocky at all.

Could improve a little in the return game, needs to get more aggressive attack the lanes created by the blockers.

There are few knacks on him, but what prevents him from being the top corner in this draft is his college production. It isn't as high as you would like out of a first round draft, it is his huge potential that makes him a first round pick. Will have some lapses in concentration and disappear but it's nothing that can't be coached away.

This guy is a football player.

Round 2:

With the 47th pick of the 2007 NFL Draft Green Bay selects

Kenny Irons, RB Auburn
203 lbs / 5'11"

40 Yrd Dash: 4.45
20 Yrd Dash: 2.56
10 Yrd Dash: 1.50
Vertical Jump: 38
Broad Jump: 10'3"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.17
3-Cone Drill: 7.00

I believe Kenny Irons is the best fit for the Green Bay Packers zone blocking scheme, he is quicker than he is fast, which is perfect for ZBS, however he is still faster than Lynch. He will naturally bulk up a little when becoming a pro because of the training program so I don't consider his size any issue. He has the frame to bulk up enough and another 10 pounds most likely won't affect his speed a bit (this has to do with his body build). I also think with an additional 10 pounds most of the injuries he has suffered will go away, however durabillity is the big knack on Irons.

He is much more patient and willing to follow the blocks than Lynch as Lynch tends to dance to the outside a lot. Dancing to the outside with 4.46 speed (Lynch 40-time) is not going to get you very far in the NFL.

Kenny Irons is very shifty and gets through the smallest holes, changes direction very quickly and shows tremendous balance. Is a tailback that usually avoids contact but will on occasions run through tackles showing surprising strength. He has a darting running style that makes it hard for defenders to catch him.

Runs good routes, but his hands are not reliable at all, needs to work on catching.

The big knack on him is durabillity, injuries in the last season probably cost him a spot in the first round. If we get Kenny Irons we would have a good backfield with Irons, Morency, Miree and Beach/Herron/Pope.

With the 54th pick of the 2007 NFL Draft Green bay selects

Eric Weddle, SS/CB Utah
203 lbs / 5'11"

40 Yrd Dash: 4.48
20 Yrd Dash: 2.56
10 Yrd Dash: 1.43
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 11
Vertical Jump: 33 1/2
Broad Jump: 9'5"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.12
3-Cone Drill: 6.78

Well this is an interesting player, he's a real football player, he can play both safety and corner and is a student of the game. Preparation is his middle name. Held Calvin Johnson to two catches for 19 yards in the Emerald Bowl and is by many regarded as the defensive MVP in that game.

He is a playmaker, always around the ball and has very good instincts. Very experienced and has been starting since his freshman year. Good tackler.

However the knack on him is lack of competition in college and that he might be a tweener between CB and SS and might not have a real position in the pros. However the fact that the held Johnson to two receptions for 19 yards shows he can play with the big boys.

I'm a little concerned if he really has the abillity to become a good safety in coverage and complement Nick Collins, but he is worth the chance.

Round 3:

With the 78th pick of the 2007 NFL Draft Green Bay selects

Ben Patrick, TE Delaware
253 lbs / 6'3"

40 Yrd Dash: 4.74
20 Yrd Dash: 2.71
10 Yrd Dash: 1.65
Vertical Jump: 34 1/2
Broad Jump: 9'3"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.31
3-Cone Drill: 7.21

Has good size, adequate speed and great hands. Is not going to be a big time TE, but could become a TE with solid production and a redzone threat despite being a little small. Needs to use his size more, plays like a smaller guy, but also moves like a WR so it's not all negative.

He is a very complete tight end. Not much more negative to say about him except he didn't get great production untill he started playing against lesser competition.

Round 4:

With the 112th pick in the 2007 NFL Draft Green Bay selects

Ikaika Alama-Francis, DE Hawaii
280 lbs / 6'5"

40 Yrd Dash: 4.85
20 Yrd Dash: 2.83
10 Yrd Dash: 1.73
Vertical Jump: 35
Broad Jump: 9'6"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.62
3-Cone Drill: 7.31

A very good athlete at the DE position, good range, hard worker and has developed incredible in the past couple of years.

However he is very raw and has limited experience, but the fact that he has developed so much so fast intrigues me. Don't know a lot about him, but I think we need to draft a young DE and that this could be our guy.

Has Packer pedigree and is the son of Joe Francis, the backup of Bart Starr.

Round 5:

With the 157th pick of the 2007 NFL Draft Green Bay selects

Laurent Robinson, WR Illinois State
199 lbs / 6'2"

40 Yrd Dash: 4.38
20 Yrd Dash: 2.50
10 Yrd Dash: 1.46
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 19
Vertical Jump: 39
Broad Jump: 10'7"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.28
3-Cone Drill: 6.83

The more I see of this guy the more I like him, he has the potential to become everything you look for in an NFL WR, he needs to bulk up some and doesn't have the size of Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss or Terrell Owens, but you see a lot of guys his size being successful and I think this guy has a good shot at being successful. The only knack on him is that he didn't play against elite competition, however I think he could make the transfer to the NFL and develop to become a very good player in a couple of years.

He would fit the right into Green Bay because he's an excellent routerunner, which is immensely important in all schemes but particularly in a westcoast offense like the one McCarthy is running and he fills the need of a player who can stretch the field.

Made one of the best WR performances at the NFL Combine and didn't drop a single ball. He is strong, fast and quick. A sleeper WR.

In the 6th and 7th round I think Green Bay probably will go offensive and/or defensive linesman but I won't speculate any further. Hope it wasn't too long to read.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i would be fairly happy with that draft. it would be nice to get a varifiable playmaker like we got last year with Hawk. but when your drafting mid round- i think the decision to move down is a good one. if we could pull off a trade with someone and move down and gain picks im all for it.

rundemc

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think Francis would be gone in the 2nd round already and with Will Shields retiring KC may be forced to take an o-lineman in the 1st, maybe they would trade up if Levi Brown is there at 16
Revis, Irons, Weddle, and Patrick would all be good picks though but i think Chris Houston from Arkansas would probably be a better system fit then Revis.

Cubanpenguin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a bad draft. From the sounds of it though i'm not big on Revis. While the potential is there he sounds far too much like Ahmad Carroll for my liking. While yes he could be a star he sounds like he could just as easily be another AC. I think the Pack should go with someone who has proven abilty.

Reaction score
I'll move this to the Packer section, since these are really slow times, and it'll generate some positive discussion besides the TT debate. :)

BTW - entertaining read Oregon. Great work. :thumbsup:

Reaction score
I've never really done a full out mock, but I'll try one this time (mind you, I'm not a College football watcher... aka I haven't sat through one full quarter of college football in my life):

With the 16th pick in the 2007 NFL Draft, Green Bay select: Greg Olsen, TE.
- I think he'd really be able to help us out at TE immediately as the #2 option, and work his way up to be a solid pass-catching TE.

With the 47th pick in 2007 NFL Draft, Green Bay selects: Daymeion Hughes, CB
- I've read good things about him and his ability to play the ball in the air as well as his athleticism. I read that he is a corner that can play, and excel in, a man to man coverage, and with C-Wood and Al getting up there in age, he would fit in as the nickle back right away.

With the 78th pick in the 2007 NFL Draft, Green Bay selects: Tony Hunt, RB.
- I think he'd be a great complement to Morency (I think Morency is the starter). Morency is the ideal back for the ZB scheme, and I think they use Hunt as the tough runner type back (like Droughens in Denver, except Droughens was a starter).

With the 112th pick in the 2007 NFL Draft, Green Bay selects: Henry Tolbert, WR
- I like what I've read about him, he is a converted RB so he has the potential to shake and bake on the field, and he seems to have playmaking potential.

With the 157th pick in the 2007 NFL Draft, Green Bay selects: Brian Robison, DE
- Packers need a DE rotation, and well Montgomery and KGB aren't exactly the long term solutions. I've read Robison will be a ST standout immediately, and the Packers can use all the ST help they can get. Sort of reminds me of a Kampman type player, and I like his ability to work hard. Think he may add something to DE rotation in a couple of years, has pass rush potential.

With the 193rd pick in the 2007 NFL Draft, Green Bay selects: Brandon Hancock, FB
- Few briefs I've read about him suggest he has the tools to be a great FB, especially for the WCO, and his ability to display his talents may have suffered due to the amount of talent on the USC teams around him. Miree has a problem staying healthy, and with Willie gone, I'd have to think FB will be looked at in this draft.

As for round 7, I'll let TT worry about that. :)

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a bad draft. From the sounds of it though i'm not big on Revis. While the potential is there he sounds far too much like Ahmad Carroll for my liking. While yes he could be a star he sounds like he could just as easily be another AC. I think the Pack should go with someone who has proven abilty.

Revis is a workout warrior like Carroll. That's my problem with him as well. I honestly see a team in the top 15 going for him because of his measurable so the Packers might not get their shot at him.

OP
OP
O

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I've seen Darrelle Revis is not a workout warrior like Carroll, there is no comparison there, Revis is a good worker, but not a great worker like Carroll and is more of a natural athlete.

Revis has also shown he is a footballplayer while Carroll was an athlete.

To say you think Revis is a workout warrior just because he has top notch numbers is absolutely nonsense.

OP
OP
O

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think Francis would be gone in the 2nd round already and with Will Shields retiring KC may be forced to take an o-lineman in the 1st, maybe they would trade up if Levi Brown is there at 16
Revis, Irons, Weddle, and Patrick would all be good picks though but i think Chris Houston from Arkansas would probably be a better system fit then Revis.

Houston is very raw, Revis is in many ways a much more complete corner, Revis can play press coverage or man up with cushion. Houston has problems in run support and has only been a starter for 1 year.

I would compare Revis to our own Charles Woodson, only better.

Revis has better size than Houston as well, I see a lot more of Ahmad Carroll in Houston as Houston is a little immature at times.

Houston lacks a lot of the intangibles Revis has.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I've seen Darrelle Revis is not a workout warrior like Carroll, there is no comparison there, Revis is a good worker, but not a great worker like Carroll and is more of a natural athlete.

To say you think Revis is a workout warrior just because he has top notch numbers is absolutely nonsense.

Workout warrior is a compliment. It's not an insult. Vernon Davis is a workout warrior. Calvin Johnson is a workout warrior. Ahmad Carroll is a workout warrior. He ran good times. He had the long arms that Mike Sherman raved about. He rose draft boards because of his numbers. Same with Revis. He is not a top 20 pick because of production. He is because of his workout numbers.

Another comparison he has with Carroll is he gets flagged for a lot of penalties. I believe out of the 1st round projected Corners he’s #1 in that department.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
OregonPackFan said:

Workout warrior is a compliment. It's not an insult. Vernon Davis is a workout warrior. Calvin Johnson is a workout warrior. Ahmad Carroll is a workout warrior. He ran good times. He had the long arms that Mike Sherman raved about. He rose draft boards because of his numbers. Same with Revis. He is not a top 20 pick because of production. He is because of his workout numbers.

Another comparison he has with Carroll is he gets flagged for a lot of penalties. I believe out of the 1st round projected Corners he’s #1 in that department.

I have a question Porky, when we were discussing TE and Olsen, you stated that you can't look at production as a means of projecting talent into the NFL but a blend of tools and production. In this thread, you are knocking him down because he doesn't have production, but yet Olsen doesn't have the production and he is rising. When do you throw out production?

I also don't think you can look at numbers in college football. If so Ken Dorsey would've been the #1 pick in the Draft instead of a 7th rounder. You have to have all the physical tools plus the production. Also Miami wasn’t exactly the greatest of situations to be in last year either.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a question Porky, when we were discussing TE and Olsen, you stated that you can't look at production as a means of projecting talent into the NFL but a blend of tools and production. In this thread, you are knocking him down because he doesn't have production, but yet Olsen doesn't have the production and he is rising. When do you throw out production?

I'm not really bashing Revis for his lack of production. I'm just stating the obvious that because of his times he's a top 20 pick.

You have to use both and it really depends on the position. Obviously you‘d like production out of a Quarterback and running back but they also need the physical attributes to go along with it. In late 1st round is when you start to pick your projects in my opinion. That‘s just my take though. Now some guys like Darrelle Revis test off the charts and because of that they will go in the top half of the 1st round.

In comparison to Greg Olsen, Revis doesn't exactly depend on other positions as much as Olsen. Olsen had Kirby Freeman and Kyle Wright throwing him the ball in Miami. That's not exactly a pair of elite college Quarterbacks. Look at Calvin Johnson’s production. It’s good but not exactly elite especially his freshman and sophomore years. Dwayne Jarrett‘s is far better. Most put that on Reggie Ball rather than Johnson. I think that’s the exact same situation Olsen is in. Running Backs and Receivers are two most dependant positions on the field. It’s going to be hard to fine players with great productions from schools that had bad offenses. A cornerback is more so on his own and doesn’t really depend as much as say the offensive skill players.

I would say Olsen would be a 2nd round pick in last years Draft probably because of his production but since TE is so weak this year and Olsen is the guy he’ll go much higher. Last years Draft was just better at most positions. Ironically CB is not one of them in my opinion.

I actually don't want the Packers to take Olsen. I think they will for some reason. It's my hunch right now but I wouldn't take him. I'm not the GM. I'd be okay with it but I rather grab Lynch and then try and get Ben Patrick in round 2 or 3.

OP
OP
O

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By calling him a workout warrior you state that he is fast and strong because he works out frantically,

well Revis doesn't, he's a natural athlete and doesn't work out much more than other players.

Also there is a wide perception that workout warriors are just that, workout warriors and not football players.

Revis is the complete package, he is a football player with amazing NATURAL athleticism.

If you are comparing him to Carroll you have obviously not seen a lot of him 'nor know a lot about him.

Carroll was a cocky immature player that had nothing but his speed.

Revis is nothing like this.

Mature player, listens to his coaches and is very coachable, great natural athlete, football player and can do everything a CB needs to because he has the tools to become an elite corner.

Ahmad Carroll didn't.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I see you utilize in posts stats and production and then in another you ignore the production. So I was trying to get an idea of what you utilize as a determining factor of when to utilize the stats and when not to.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By calling him a workout warrior you state that he is fast and strong because he works out frantically,

well Revis doesn't, he's a natural athlete and doesn't work out much more than other players.

Also there is a wide perception that workout warriors are just that, workout warriors and not football players.

Revis is the complete package, he is a football player with amazing NATURAL athleticism.

If you are comparing him to Carroll you have obviously not seen a lot of him 'nor know a lot about him.

Carroll was a cocky immature player that had nothing but his speed.

Revis is nothing like this.

Mature player, listens to his coaches and is very coachable, great natural athlete, football player and can do everything a CB needs to because he has the tools to become an elite corner.

Ahmad Carroll didn't.

I know a lot about Darrelle Revis. I know he's bigger than Carroll. I know he's better in coverage than Carroll. I know he's a better prospect than Carroll. He has great technique something Carroll never really had.

I also know the similarities are there. Both commit a lot of penalties and both rely heavily on their speed. I’m not saying he is Ahmad Carroll but you can’t deny that similarities do exists. I’m simply looking both ways.

I have him going #12 to Buffalo right now. I think he's a top 20 pick but mostly of what he does off the field rather than on. If he ran in the high 4.4 range and had good but not great numbers I don’t think he’d go this high.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see you utilize in posts stats and production and then in another you ignore the production. So I was trying to get an idea of what you utilize as a determining factor of when to utilize the stats and when not to.

Did you get your answer?

cheesy4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think WE should grab Meachem and in the second Pittman is better then irons.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OregonPackFan while our opinions differ I absolutely love the middle of your draft. Ben Patrick and Eric Weddle are two prospects whom I think the Pack should absolutely draft especially in round 2. Patrick is everything you said and we definitely need that TE to stretch the field and get open in the red zone. Weddle I think is the most polished defensive back in the Draft not named Leon Hall and he’s smart and so versatile. If the Pack land those two on Day 1 I’ll be extremely happy regardless of whether or not they land Revis and Irons as well.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am high on Weddle because he's intelligent as well as able to play both CB and S. We need help in both areas, that being the nickle and FS. I'm also high on Leonard who was a good RB before moving to FB. Solid person, too.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am high on Weddle because he's intelligent as well as able to play both CB and S. We need help in both areas, that being the nickle and FS. I'm also high on Leonard who was a good RB before moving to FB. Solid person, too.

yep i've got mucho man love for Leonard and Weddle, I'd also be thrilled if we got any one of those two or Anthony Gonzalez, Sabby Pischitelli, Johnny Harline or LaRon McClain

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for posting your draft. I won't argue with any of the picks.

I will say that it is very difficult to do these as there are always unforseen trades.

If we only knew the trades making a mock would be a lot easier.

Members online

Latest posts