Official week 17 lion game

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The defense was a major contributor in the Detroit loss. Detroit was 11-18 on third down, their 74 snaps and 38:13 time of possession left the Packers with 51 snaps and 21:47 TOP. The Packer's 3-1 edge in turnovers and a DET missed FG helped keep in close.

Starting in the second quarter, Detroit's possessions were 43, 67, 74, 75 and 29 yds., with the last running out the clock. The defense could not get off the field.

This game launched a 7 quarter stretch, including all of the Bears game that followed, where the defense did not force a punt. I think that's the worst two game stretch of defensive play this season. Fortunately, the Bears defense left a lot to be desired.

I would say yes and no. If you take the TD from fumble and safety off the board they score 10 points. We should be able to win that game with our offense you would think. The defense finally broke down during the end of the game stretch run. One could say our offense didn't convert enough on 3rd down to keep them off the field. I think the D just got worn down at the end but no the defense was not playing overall like it is now.

H

HardRightEdge

I would say yes and no. If you take the TD from fumble and safety off the board they score 10 points. We should be able to win that game with our offense you would think. The defense finally broke down during the end of the game stretch run. One could say our offense didn't convert enough on 3rd down to keep them off the field. I think the D just got worn down at the end but no the defense was not playing overall like it is now.
In quarters 2-4, the Packers best starting position was their own 20 yard line as the Lions consistently moved the ball deep into Packer territory. The Detroit defensive performance was far too reminiscent of the 2011 defense that papered over poor play-in-play-out execution with interceptions.

If the marauding hordes breach all of the castle defenses, cross the moat unscathed, but the rungs on their Chinese-outsourced ladders give way as they scale the wall, the defenders should not pat themselves on the back for a job well done. They should go back to the drawing board.

That's what Capers did in the bye week, repurposing Matthews in the middle in nickel and steadily increasing snaps for Barrington. It looked to be jelling against Tampa; the 5 man base D with Matthews and Peppers wide on the line looked particularly aggressive and coherent.

We'll see if the boys can "stack success", to use McCarthy's apt if inartful expression, and redeem themselves for that earlier unacceptable performance against Detroit.

Last edited by a moderator:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too early to call due to injuries.

Is Rodgers and Lacy 100% fit?
On their side, is House and Megatron 100% fit? The replacement centre should aid us a bit.

Our injuries are far worse. Without Rodgers and Lacy, but pass and rush games are affected and any advantage of non-fit House might be lost.

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Merry Christmas everyone! Yet again we spend Week 17 fighting for the NFC North Championship. (However, with a playoff spot clinched this year). We've been rolling at home and after an early season loss to the Lions, I expect us to fully bounce back.

Lions: 17
Packers: 31

I know that's a 14 pt difference, but I'll say if it's close, we score in the 4th making it a double digit game and clinching the North.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense was a major contributor in the Detroit loss. Detroit was 11-18 on third down, their 74 snaps and 38:13 time of possession left the Packers with 51 snaps and 21:47 TOP. The Packer's 3-1 edge in turnovers and a DET missed FG helped keep in close.

Starting in the second quarter, Detroit's possessions were 43, 67, 74, 75 and 29 yds., with the last running out the clock. The defense could not get off the field.

This game launched a 7 quarter stretch, including all of the Bears game that followed, where the defense did not force a punt. I think that's the worst two game stretch of defensive play this season. Fortunately, the Bears defense left a lot to be desired.

The two most important stats: 10 points and 3 turnovers.

Our defense did more than enough to win that game. TOP was just as much about our offense not moving the ball.

D

Deleted member 6794

The bottom line though is that the defense only gave up 10 points with the only touchdown in the fourth quarter when they were getting tired.

Our offense had nine series in this game with only one resulting in a TD, six ending with either a punt or a turnover on downs and another in the Lions scoring nine points.

While the defense had trouble getting off the field on 3rd downs I think the offense should be mostly blamed for the loss.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
While the defense had trouble getting off the field on 3rd downs I think the offense should be mostly blamed for the loss.
They were killin' us on 3rd downs.

I remember some of the discussions here back then. They couldn't get the damn defense off the field.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

They were killin' us on 3rd downs.

I remember some of the discussions here back then. They couldn't get the damn defense off the field.

Yeah, the defense had troubles getting off the field on third down, mostly in the fourth quarter when they were getting tired. Nevertheless they were able to stop 7 of 9 drives by the Lions without allowing any points.

The offense gave up more loints than they scored, no doubt in my mind they're to blame for the loss at Detroit.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Yeah, the defense had troubles getting off the field on third down, mostly in the fourth quarter when they were getting tired. Nevertheless they were able to stop 7 of 9 drives by the Lions without allowing any points.

The offense gave up more loints than they scored, no doubt in my mind they're to blame for the loss at Detroit.
Let's face it. Our Offense wasn't that swift either. I think we're light years better now though so we should be able to take care of biz on Sunday.

Now as for Marshon Lynch. Dude is scary. lol

D

Deleted member 6794

Packers injury report:
Out: Davon House (shoulder)
Probable: Aaron Rodgers (calf), T.J. Lang (ankle), Josh Sitton (toe), Clay Matthews (biceps), Mike Neal (abdomen)

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers 31 Lions 16

Key to the game - Lion C Raoili is out a rookie with no game experience, Travis Swanson, will play. Packers play a rookie center as well, but by the 16th game, he already has lots of experience.

Look for a much different offensive attack than the first meeting. Packers to spread the ball around more. Lacy will have a much better day with a couple of screens and draws.

Defensively, this is a much better team than the first meeting. Packers should be able to get to Stafford more, I going to say 5 sacks. Packers will double the Lions yardage.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heaven forbid, but if we drop to 6th seed, what's the progress path?

Then our first trip would be to Dallas. The fifth seed would play the NFC South winner. If we win that, we would go on to play the #1 seed the following week, which is most likely going to be Seattle. The winner of the NFC South-Arizona game would play Detroit, the #2 seed.

If we win the NFC North, then Detroit travels to Dallas and Arizona to the NFC South (Assuming Seattle wins their final game.) If Detroit beats Dallas they head to Seattle. If Dallas wins they come to play us, and the Ariz-NFC South winner travels to Seattle.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Key to the game - Lion C Raoili is out a rookie with no game experience, Travis Swanson, will play.
According to McGinn's analysis of the Lions, Swanson has started three games for them this year, but at OG. And he did start for 4 years at center for Arkansas. His starting will hurt them some, but I wouldn't exaggerate how much. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-next-opponent-lions-b99413952z1-286748081.html

The key to the game IMO is the Packers OL, particularly with Rodgers' calf injury. Have they improved significantly from game 3? If so the Lions won't be able to get pressure with 4 or stop the run with 6 in the box.

MichiganSportsTalk

Lions fan for longer than I can remember
Reaction score
Lion C Raoili is out a rookie with no game experience, Travis Swanson, will play.

I'd like to qualify that statement by clarifying that while he has no NFL experience at Center, he played 50 games in college at Center, so it's not like he's new to the position. He has also played almost 47% of the offensive snaps this year at guard, so he does have some NFL experience, albeit at another spot on the o-line.

It's still not an ideal situation, but it's not like he has no idea what he's doing out there.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with ThxJack. To me the key is the Packers' OL against the pass rush and the run blocking. Both are better. How much better will get a major test tomorrow against the #1 run defense and a top-3 defense overall. If the Packers are successful against this defense, that to me would make them a top SB contender, unless of course the defense collapses like it did in the 2nd half against Atlanta.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to qualify that statement by clarifying that while he has no NFL experience at Center, he played 50 games in college at Center, so it's not like he's new to the position. He has also played almost 47% of the offensive snaps this year at guard, so he does have some NFL experience, albeit at another spot on the o-line.

It's still not an ideal situation, but it's not like he has no idea what he's doing out there.
I stand corrected.

D

Deleted member 6794

Actually Swanson has played only 28.4% of the offensive snaps this season and he has mostly been terrible at guard.

Once again as I've said before it's possible for him to step in and the Lions not missing a beat (especially as Raiola has been bad as well) but it's still a question mark entering the game.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts