Official Post-Draft Thoughts Thread

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1-30 -- TRADE To NY Jets for Nos. 36 & 113.
Good move here. Packers traded down 6 spots and got another pick. The only thing to complain about is that the Jets probably got the best TE in the draft.

2-36 -- WR Jordy Nelson, Kansas State
Questionable, but solid pick. While not many know Nelson, the guy is going to be a good player. However, Koren Robinson and Ruvell Martin's days may be numbered despite being fan favorites.

2-56 -- QB Brian Brohm, Louisville
Terrific pick who was the marquee pick of the first day. Brohm was a projected Top-20 pick, and could have been the best QB of last year's draft. Aaron Rodgers is the man, and if he doesn't pan out, Brohm is going to be good. If they both pan out, Brohm could be the next Matt Schaub and land the Packers some good picks.

2-60 -- CB Patrick Lee, Auburn
One of the better corners in the draft, and probably the 2nd best when it comes to press coverage. Patrick Lee is a strong and fairly quick guy who wraps up ball-carriers the right way. Think a faster Al Harris, if and when he pans out. This also fits a need.

3-91 -- TE Jermichael Finley, Texas
This might turn out to be the most productive rookie for the 2008 Packers. While he had a disappointing 40-time, Finley plays a lot faster in gameday, and is really competitive when it comes to getting the ball in traffic. With a stacked stable of WR's and Finley and Lee at TE, Aaron Rodgers has no excuse to not have a 2600+ yd passing season.

4-113 -- TRADE To NY Jets with No. 162 for No. 102. Originally acquired from NY Jets with No. 36 for No. 30.
He used this trade to trade more. Heh.

4-128 -- TRADE To St. Louis Rams for Nos. 137 & 217
He traded... and then ended up with Swain.

4-135 -- G Josh Sitton, Central Florida
Another one of Thompson's mid-round guards. Hopefully he finds a place in the roster. However, the best way to make your line better is to have continuity. Sitton's best attribute is his "go-get-em" mentality. This guy doesn't give up.

5-137 -- TRADE To Minnesota Vikings for Nos. 150 & 209. Originally from St. Louis Rams with No. 217 for No. 128.
This landed GB Giacomini and Flynn.

5-150 -- T Breno Giacomini, Louisville
One of the anchors in Brohm's offense. Giacomini is an extremely strong specimen but doesn't really play low. He also leg lashes a bit. Expect him to challenge Tauscher as he gets older.

5-162 -- TRADE To Minnesota Vikings for Nos. 150 & 209. Originally from St. Louis Rams with No. 217 for No. 128.

6-194 -- TRADE This is how we got Ryan Grant.
TT is a genius.

7-209 -- QB Matt Flynn, LSU
Weird pick. He probably wasn't even the best QB left in the draft, but this provides for competition to Jerry Babb and Dalton Bell. Neither of them will make the team anyway. It's weird to see GB go a route where none of the QB's have starting experience though.

7-217 -- WR Brett Swain, San Diego State
Another weird pick. He was fairly average on a small-school team. Maybe TT is looking for a bunch of gunners.

7-237 -- TRADE To New Orleans Saints for 2009 sixth round pick.
He probably should've done this with 209 too.

VALUE PICKS - B+
The first day was fantastic, and Jermichael Finley should do well in Green Bay.

NEED PICKS - C+
Brian Brohm, Patrick Lee, and Jermichael Finley are not only good players, but they fill the big needs of the team as well.

OVERALL DRAFT - B
Ted Thompson has done it again. Of course, this grade means nothing until we see how all these players pan out in 3-5 years time.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy Nelson was a quality pick considering our offense. The Packers spread the field and he can be the #4 or #5 receiver. Plus he can contribute as kick returner which is also great. I think this might mean Koren will not be a Packer next season.

Nelson is probably a future slot receiver when Driver retires and then you have Greg Jennings and James Jones as your #1 and #2. That gives the Packers a young set of receivers for Aaron Rodgers that could be here along time.

Brian Brohm wasn't' a bad pick. Obviously a lot of people will overreact. I read on NFL Draft Countdown that the Packers are a mess now because of this. This coming from the guy who gave the Packers a D grade last year.

I read on ESPN hash marks that it was a bad pick because of Aaron Rodgers confidence. Someone get Rodgers his bottle already then. Is there no more common sense out there? If the Packers thought this would effect Aaron Rodgers mentality, they wouldn't of picked him. Rodgers isn't going to be effected by this pick at all. He's better than that.

Patrick Lee was a great pick. My favorite one of the draft. I think he's a great fit and he was someone I was hoping for GB to draft going into this Saturday. I was surprised to see him last that long. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as the teams nickel back.

Jermichael Finley made a lot of sense in round 3. He's faster than what you think and catches the ball with his hands. This makes the Packers much more athletic on offense at a position that needs to be utilized more in our offense in my opinion.

Jermey Thompson I was glad to see. I rather of seen Anthony Collins but I thought the Packers needed a DE and they traded up for him which Thompson has never done so they have to like him. :lol:

Might be a good pass rusher that spells Cullen Jenkins every now and then. After seeing what the Giants did this year, I will never object to taking a Defensive End in the 4th.

The two offensive lineman didn't really strike me though. Sitton reminds me of Tony Moll a little bit and the other guy from what I read has long arms and is athletic but can't control his emotions.

The receiver seems like a practice squad pick to me.

Matt Flynn could be an ideal #3 but probably practice squad.

Just my opinion though. You never know what can happen.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1-30 -- TRADE To NY Jets for Nos. 36 & 113.
Good move here. Packers traded down 6 spots and got another pick. The only thing to complain about is that the Jets probably got the best TE in the draft.

2-36 -- WR Jordy Nelson, Kansas State
Questionable, but solid pick. While not many know Nelson, the guy is going to be a good player. However, Koren Robinson and Ruvell Martin's days may be numbered despite being fan favorites.

2-56 -- QB Brian Brohm, Louisville
Terrific pick who was the marquee pick of the first day. Brohm was a projected Top-20 pick, and could have been the best QB of last year's draft. Aaron Rodgers is the man, and if he doesn't pan out, Brohm is going to be good. If they both pan out, Brohm could be the next Matt Schaub and land the Packers some good picks.

2-60 -- CB Patrick Lee, Auburn
One of the better corners in the draft, and probably the 2nd best when it comes to press coverage. Patrick Lee is a strong and fairly quick guy who wraps up ball-carriers the right way. Think a faster Al Harris, if and when he pans out. This also fits a need.

3-91 -- TE Jermichael Finley, Texas
This might turn out to be the most productive rookie for the 2008 Packers. While he had a disappointing 40-time, Finley plays a lot faster in gameday, and is really competitive when it comes to getting the ball in traffic. With a stacked stable of WR's and Finley and Lee at TE, Aaron Rodgers has no excuse to not have a 2600+ yd passing season.

4-113 -- TRADE To NY Jets with No. 162 for No. 102. Originally acquired from NY Jets with No. 36 for No. 30.
He used this trade to trade more. Heh.

4-128 -- TRADE To St. Louis Rams for Nos. 137 & 217
He traded... and then ended up with Swain.

4-135 -- G Josh Sitton, Central Florida
Another one of Thompson's mid-round guards. Hopefully he finds a place in the roster. However, the best way to make your line better is to have continuity. Sitton's best attribute is his "go-get-em" mentality. This guy doesn't give up.

5-137 -- TRADE To Minnesota Vikings for Nos. 150 & 209. Originally from St. Louis Rams with No. 217 for No. 128.
This landed GB Giacomini and Flynn.

5-150 -- T Breno Giacomini, Louisville
One of the anchors in Brohm's offense. Giacomini is an extremely strong specimen but doesn't really play low. He also leg lashes a bit. Expect him to challenge Tauscher as he gets older.

5-162 -- TRADE To Minnesota Vikings for Nos. 150 & 209. Originally from St. Louis Rams with No. 217 for No. 128.

6-194 -- TRADE This is how we got Ryan Grant.
TT is a genius.

7-209 -- QB Matt Flynn, LSU
Weird pick. He probably wasn't even the best QB left in the draft, but this provides for competition to Jerry Babb and Dalton Bell. Neither of them will make the team anyway. It's weird to see GB go a route where none of the QB's have starting experience though.

7-217 -- WR Brett Swain, San Diego State
Another weird pick. He was fairly average on a small-school team. Maybe TT is looking for a bunch of gunners.

7-237 -- TRADE To New Orleans Saints for 2009 sixth round pick.
He probably should've done this with 209 too.

VALUE PICKS - B+
The first day was fantastic, and Jermichael Finley should do well in Green Bay.

NEED PICKS - C+
Brian Brohm, Patrick Lee, and Jermichael Finley are not only good players, but they fill the big needs of the team as well.

OVERALL DRAFT - B
Ted Thompson has done it again. Of course, this grade means nothing until we see how all these players pan out in 3-5 years time.

Dan - Good analysis. I refuse to put a letter grade down without seeing these guys play. I'll give them a letter grade in '11.

As for Brohm - a good pick. If Rodgers doesn't get injured (knock on wood), Brohm will be good trade bait and TT will continually pick up young QB prospects. Brohm slipped, that's why we got him.

The first pick as a WR I understand. Don't agree, but I understand.

Lee and Finley, I have a great feeling about both of them. If both pan out, that would seriously increase this draft's grade when I actually slap a grade down in '11.

Swain I disagree with. But if he turns out to be a good gunner, then I will no longer disagree. I like good gunners.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombie-

I think Brohm will garner less trade bait then you'd think. He's still a guy who went in the back-end of the second round. The fact that he was highly touted his senior year, etc. are irrelevant. He's a backup QB, second round pick.

I think the Packers hold on to him even if Rodgers turns out to be the guy.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy Nelson was a quality pick considering our offense. The Packers spread the field and he can be the #4 or #5 receiver. Plus he can contribute as kick returner which is also great. I think this might mean Koren will not be a Packer next season.

Nelson is probably a future slot receiver when Driver retires and then you have Greg Jennings and James Jones as your #1 and #2. That gives the Packers a young set of receivers for Aaron Rodgers that could be here along time.

Brian Brohm wasn't' a bad pick. Obviously a lot of people will overreact. I read on NFL Draft Countdown that the Packers are a mess now because of this. This coming from the guy who gave the Packers a D grade last year.

I read on ESPN hash marks that it was a bad pick because of Aaron Rodgers confidence. Someone get Rodgers his bottle already then. Is there no more common sense out there? If the Packers thought this would effect Aaron Rodgers mentality, they wouldn't of picked him. Rodgers isn't going to be effected by this pick at all. He's better than that.

Patrick Lee was a great pick. My favorite one of the draft. I think he's a great fit and he was someone I was hoping for GB to draft going into this Saturday. I was surprised to see him last that long. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as the teams nickel back.

Jermichael Finley made a lot of sense in round 3. He's faster than what you think and catches the ball with his hands. This makes the Packers much more athletic on offense at a position that needs to be utilized more in our offense in my opinion.

Jermey Thompson I was glad to see. I rather of seen Anthony Collins but I thought the Packers needed a DE and they traded up for him which Thompson has never done so they have to like him. :lol:

Might be a good pass rusher that spells Cullen Jenkins every now and then. After seeing what the Giants did this year, I will never object to taking a Defensive End in the 4th.

The two offensive lineman didn't really strike me though. Sitton reminds me of Tony Moll a little bit and the other guy from what I read has long arms and is athletic but can't control his emotions.

The receiver seems like a practice squad pick to me.

Matt Flynn could be an ideal #3 but probably practice squad.

Just my opinion though. You never know what can happen.

Everyone read this post. This is how you do it.

The only thing I disagree with is about the one Olineman not being able to control his emotions.

1. I like an Olineman with a mean streak.
2. His 'character issue' was him making an 'obscene gesture' in pregame.

BangTheDrum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Odd draft in my book, disappointing cuz I wasnt looking at any of these guys per say, but overall I'm fairly happy.

Finley was a guy people werent high on because of attitude... There was a post here multiple months ago about him because he made a comment in a newspaper about how the Packers were calling him and what not, I believe some people were like god I hope we dont get his cocky behin lol... funny stuff

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
- Thought trading that 5th rounder to the Vikings that we got from the Rams so they could pick John David Booty was a DUMB move.

- Not really high on Jordy Nelson as our first pick, but considering Driver isn't getting any younger and Ruvell and Koren are both entering the final years of their respective contracts, the move is understandable.

- The Chiefs kind of jumped on us a couple of times in this draft. Flowers the pick ahead of us in the second round and Cottam about a dozen or so picks before we picked in the third round. Finley isn't a bad consolation though.

- Like the Brohm and Lee picks late in the second because they fill two very critical needs for this team. Brohm is our insurance policy for Aaron if he doesn't work out and we finally have a hopefully solid corner we can groom behind Harris and Woodson.

- I was hoping we'd go O-Line a little earlier then we did in this draft, but considering the run on linemen that occured in the first several rounds, I can understand why Ted waited as long as he did.

- That Grant kid we traded our 6th round pick for might turn out okay. Only time will tell though. :p

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombie-

I think Brohm will garner less trade bait then you'd think. He's still a guy who went in the back-end of the second round. The fact that he was highly touted his senior year, etc. are irrelevant. He's a backup QB, second round pick.

I think the Packers hold on to him even if Rodgers turns out to be the guy.

I foresee Brohm being disgruntled carrying a clipboard for Aaron and wanting to start elsewhere, thus is why we trade him. Or at least I'm hoping Aaron stays healthy. I like Brohm's passing ability, but I like Aaron better as the all-around QB.

Good QBs don't stay #2 for very long. look how many good QBs we lost who backed up Favre. Will we be able to get a first for him? There are 32 teams, and every year, several of those teams do something stupid. As long as Al Davis is alive, we can count on him being one of them.

OP
OP
D

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anybody else surprised that Ted didn't pursue any of the linebackers? Sure, we have a good core with some okay depth, but you can never have too many linebackers.

Dan Connor comes to mind.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anybody else surprised that Ted didn't pursue any of the linebackers? Sure, we have a good core with some okay depth, but you can never have too many linebackers.

Chillar and Poppinga will battle out for the only spot that's not totally secure. Barnett is top 5 MLB in the NFL. AJ Hawk will be a top 5 at his position. Bishop, Hodge, and White all provide depth. He might think we're fine here.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm actually glad we did not draft any LBs because there frankly would have been no room for any of them on the roster.

I've got to think we'll probably carry 6 LBs on the roster this season.

On the strong side you've got Popps and Chill, both of whom will probably be splitting snaps depending on the situation.

In the middle you've got Nick firmly entrenched. Hodge and Bishop are going to be competeing for the reserve MLB job and whomever the odd man out is probably going to be cut. It could come down to special teams contributions and Bishop did a good job of that last year as a reserve, although if Hodge can come back and perform like he did in his rookie camp, Ted and Mike are probably going to have to make a tough decision on who to keep.

Then on the weakside, you've obviously got AJ as the starter and then we had to shell out a decent amount of money to keep Tracey White who is pretty much a special teams workhorse and was our reserve weakside LB last season.

Those seven guys alone will be battling it out for playing time and roster spots, so I'm glad Ted went in other directions with this particular draft.

Reaction score
It could come down to special teams contributions and Bishop did a good job of that last year as a reserve

Solid post overall RainX, but the above bit I disagree with. I think Bishop was a huge disappointment, especially on special teams.

He played in only 10 games for us, and notched only 10 tackles. In fact, if you subtract the last game of the season against the Lions, Bishop played in 9 games and had only 6 tackles. That's a big disappointment, IMO. To be fair you can't judge ST contribution solely on stats, but I don't really remember Bishop making a play that sticks in my mind either.

I also seem to recall that bishop ended up missing a team flight one week, so he was inactive once for that reason. Regardless, that's not exactly a confidence builder having a player miss a team flight.

With that said, I think Bishop has some potential as a pass-rusher. I recall him getting some pressure late in the season (even pre-season?) when the Packers utilized the blitz more.

I do expect Bishop to improve and if Hodge is healthy this training camp, Hodge vs Bishop should be a good battle.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like to look things over after the draft. From that perspective, it's interesting to see so many offensive picks this year. 2 QBs, 2 WRs, 1 TE and 2 OL vs 1 CB and 1 DE. In past drafts, TT has had a many defensive picks to build up on that side and it's paid off in us having a strong, young defense. This year's focus was obviously on building a young, athletic offense.

The 2 QBs are a good move. The choice was between a veteran backup to ARod or a draft pick with high potential. A veteran would have been nice for security, but not much future upside. As for mentoring, ARod has had plenty of that behind Favre for 3 years. Plus he's received great coaching during that time. Both Brohm and Ryan are good picks IMHO. Brohm has a better arm than Henne and makes good reads/decisions. Plus he's more ready to play right now in the NFL than Henne. Ryan doesn't have a ton of experience, but he did well with limited time as a starter. Both are effective players who know how to win. The summary is you have a young QB ready to start in ARod, a talented backup who should be ready to come in Brohm and a good talent to develop further in Ryan.

The WR picks were odd, but it appeared that TT was scouting WR/returners rather hard before the draft. Both of these guys should add quality depth and it's obvious TT has done very well evaluating WRs in the past -- Jennings/JJ.

The OL, TE, CB and DE picks are more of need picks for depth. We need a backup TE badly with the loss of Franks. The OL has struggled at times with inconsistent play. These guys should push the young starters. Our depth at DE has been thin, although we have great starters. We had a lot of young CBs who were about equal last year. They need to be pushed to the next level.

Basically all of these guys will push the current starters/backups. This was a great draft in terms of creating good competition at various positions. We didn't have needs like a few years ago, which is definitely good for TT's BPA philosophy. It'll be very interesting to see how some of these no name players turn out.

GO PACK GO!!!

Latest posts