OFFICIAL Packers vs vikings #2 seed edition

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummm, Looks pretty close to me. But I could be wrong.

Code:
Rk    Team                Att    Pct    Att/G    Yds    Avg    Yds/G    TD    Int
10    Green Bay Packers    518    66.8    34.5    3,716    7.7    247.7    36    8
15    Houston Texans      518    63.7    34.5    3,580    7.3    238.7    22    11

I don't see two very evenly matched passing games when I see those stats. They pass the same amount sure I can agree with that. They have similar YPG again no denying that. But to me the one thing that reallly stands out is 14 more TD passes that makes for 98 extra points scored on the season and 6.5 points per game. Gotta score to win and a lot of times I tend to look at points per game or points allowed as a measuring stick for offenses and defenses.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So that's what you're expecting? We have a bad game about one in every 11 games over the past 2.5 seasons and you're expecting that this Sunday? Pessimistic much?

sigh...

Is there any plausible reason to believe we won't play a very good game?

I am giving you examples as to when we expected a great game, and we didnt get one

Not saying I think it will happen at all...

You are reading way to much into my statements

OP
OP
gbpack12_2_89

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
I don't see two very evenly matched passing games when I see those stats. They pass the same amount sure I can agree with that. They have similar YPG again no denying that. But to me the one thing that reallly stands out is 14 more TD passes that makes for 98 extra points scored on the season and 6.5 points per game. Gotta score to win and a lot of times I tend to look at points per game or points allowed as a measuring stick for offenses and defenses.
You mean yards don't win games :) I stand by the fact that Houston's passing game is no where near ours. Plus they have 1 maybe 2 receivers? While we have Cobb jones (who leads the league in TDs) Jennings Nelson and yes I will add Finley. Add in little man Harris and grant. Top that off with the best QB in the league. Packers offense over Houston's by far

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're obviously better than Houston.
But remember, the same 49ers team that came to Lambeau this year, then went to the Metrodome and got whipped by the Vikings.

These guys are not cupcakes in that place, especially with the active front 7 they have against our still-suspect O-Line.

And we want to win the game.
They need to win the game.

Those are 2 totally different motivations.
Hopefully they, Ponder especially, will feel the added pressure and choke.
But I expect their best.

That means we need at least our 'B' game to win.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
sigh...

I am giving you examples as to when we expected a great game, and we didnt get one

Not saying I think it will happen at all...

You are reading way to much into my statements

Yes, but I'm talking about this particular moment in time, not the past. Our running game is coming on strong. Our OL is making strides as well. Our defense is back on track with CM3 back in the mix. I see no reason to expect a let-down.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
PPG
Houston 26.7
Green Bay 26.6

Houston has 9 more rushing TD's than Green Bay. They actually have a running game that works. Houston is also a bit more balanced in run vs pass plays 49% run plays vs 51% pass plays. The Packers are 45% run, 55% pass plays.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PPG
Houston 26.7
Green Bay 26.6

Houston has 9 more rushing TD's than Green Bay. They actually have a running game that works. Houston is also a bit more balanced in run vs pass plays 49% run plays vs 51% pass plays. The Packers are 45% run, 55% pass plays.

Defensing GB vs. defensing Houston is night and day. You stop Houston's running attack, you stop Houston. GB also actually has a running game that works enough for what they need. It is no longer possible to simply defend against the pass using a cover-2 and beat GB.

OP
OP
gbpack12_2_89

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
Defensing GB vs. defensing Houston is night and day. You stop Houston's running attack, you stop Houston. GB also actually has a running game that works enough for what they need. It is no longer possible to simply defend against the pass using a cover-2 and beat GB.
Ding ding winner. This is what I'm talking about. But silly queens fans just wanna look at stats and not what they actully see on TV. But for those stat boys Schaub has 642 pad yards 0 TDs and 3 INT in his losses foster has 90 yards total rushing. You shut one down they both fail. That won't happen with GB sorry!

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Ding ding winner. This is what I'm talking about. But silly queens fans just wanna look at stats and not what they actully see on TV. But for those stat boys Schaub has 642 pad yards 0 TDs and 3 INT in his losses foster has 90 yards total rushing. You shut one down they both fail. That won't happen with GB sorry!
So what you are telling me is you have watched all the Houston games then. Otherwise all you are doing is using stats. Funny how every time I rebut something with stats another explanation comes out why they don't matter. Then you turn around and use stats to make the point. Tell me, what are Rodgers numbers and the Packers rushing totals in their losses?

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PPG
Houston 26.7
Green Bay 26.6

Cant disagree with that at all. As a whole we are very similar in total offensive production. They clearly have the edge in the rushing offense and we have a pretty distinct edge in the passing

OP
OP
gbpack12_2_89

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
So what you are telling me is you have watched all the Houston games then. Otherwise all you are doing is using stats. Funny how every time I rebut something with stats another explanation comes out why they don't matter. Then you turn around and use stats to make the point. Tell me, what are Rodgers numbers and the Packers rushing totals in their losses?
980 yards passing 6TDs 2 INTs with 394 yards rushing

OP
OP
gbpack12_2_89

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
That averages Houston 213 pass yards per game 0 TD passing per game 1 INT per game. There team rushing is 71 attempts for an average of 74.6 yds per game they have 4 rushing TDs and a total of 6 TO.
Packers are 245 pass yds per game 1.5 TDs passing a game .5 INTs per game rushing is 85 attempts with an average of 98.5 yds a game with 2 rushing TDs and 3 TOs

Even in losses packers O is better than Houston's is. I truly do not think Houston is a good offense team.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That averages Houston 213 pass yards per game 0 TD passing per game 1 INT per game. There team rushing is 71 attempts for an average of 74.6 yds per game they have 4 rushing TDs and a total of 6 TO.
Packers are 245 pass yds per game 1.5 TDs passing a game .5 INTs per game rushing is 85 attempts with an average of 98.5 yds a game with 2 rushing TDs and 3 TOs

Even in losses packers O is better than Houston's is. I truly do not think Houston is a good offense team.

They may not be the best there is or even elite. But they are a good offense that on average scores just as many points as ours. Do you consider the Packers to be a good offensive team?

OP
OP
gbpack12_2_89

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
They may not be the best there is or even elite. But they are a good offense that on average scores just as many points as ours. Do you consider the Packers to be a good offensive team?
Our passing game is 50 times better than there's there running game is better than ours. I still don't think there that good on offense. Have a problem with it then whatever watch them be one and done in the playoffs because of no offense...

RowdyPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen plenty of Houston games living in Houston. I don't believe Houston is as good as the Packers. I don't see them getting anywhere in the playoffs.

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AP going for a rushing record is a golden opportunity to force fumbles. Hoping our defensive coaches are stressing this. Two guys wrap him up and #3 start punching at that ball. He can have his 200+ yds any day if he gives us 2+ fumbles in MN territory.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as the OL doesn't get Rodgers hammered a million times, protects him well, this is lovely:

In 9 career starts against the Vikings, Rodgers has a 114.2 passer rating, completing 202 of 286 passes (70.6 percent) for 2,458 yards and 20 touchdowns with 4 interceptions.

In his last 2 games at the Metrodome, Rodgers completed 70.1 percent of his passes for 636 yards, 7 touchdowns, 0 interceptions and a 141.6 rating.

The Packers have won 12 consecutive NFC North games and are trying to sweep the division for the second consecutive season.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
How do the Packers win tomorrow? Match the Vikings intensity and keep playing like they’ve been playing. Specifically get a lead and hope the Vikings make the same mistake they did at Lambeau. The Vikings were up 14-10 at half, Crosby kicked the opening KO of the 3rd quarter out of bounds so the Vikings started at their 40. 2 rushes by AP gain 52 yards and from the Packers 8 yard line Ponder throws an INT to Burnett in the EZ. Up to that point in the game, AP had run the ball 15 times for 178 yards. After that INT he ran it 6 times for 32 yards: minus 1, plus 6, plus 3, no gain, plus one, plus 23. He only touched the ball once in the fourth quarter, catching a pass for 10 yards.

This is from Ketchman’s story, ‘Capers reveals game plan…’
That second-half performance was a turning point in the season for the Packers defense, which was coming off a weak performance against the Giants and two quarters and one play of soft defense against Peterson. Since the Burnett interception that killed the Vikings’ opening drive of the second half, the Packers defense has been overpowering. It’s allowed just 40 points in three games and is playing its best football since 2010.
The Packers also began controlling the clock better in that game and had two long drives against the Vikings, one lasting about 6 minutes resulting in a FG and the other lasting about 11 minutes resulting in a TD. The Vikings only had two possessions in the fourth quarter.

We know the Packers can beat ‘em even if AP runs for more than 200 yards. The Packers are currently 7th in the league in scoring D, while the Vikings are 11th. Coincidently the Packers are also 7th in scoring offense, while the Vikings, even with one of the most prolific RBs in NFL history, are 17th. So as Ketchman’s article concludes:
Stopping Ponder, not Peterson, is what won the last meeting between the two teams for the Packers.
Look at those stats in Frank’s post above. I’m guessing even Vikings fans don’t want to compare them to Ponder’s against the Packers.

Hjalmar Davidson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers 38 , Queens 14 , Green Bay is better than Minnesota at everything but running the football and kicking field goals. I dont think this game will be a nail biter. Like usual it will come down to QB play...we win.

VikingsInvader

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers 42 houston 24 keep all the stats u want.

Packers gave up 24 points to Houston, Vikings give up 6 points; doesn't take an idiot to see who has the better defense!

SKOL, VIKINGS

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers gave up 24 points to Houston, Vikings give up 6 points; doesn't take an idiot to see who has the better defense!

SKOL, VIKINGS

You're going to base entire defensive rankings off points allowed against 1 opponent? Vikings have given up more points and more yards per game playing basically the same schedule. Check NFL.com for stats before you say stupid things.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts