OFFICIAL Packers vs vikings #2 seed edition

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
You're going to base entire defensive rankings off points allowed against 1 opponent? Vikings have given up more points and more yards per game playing basically the same schedule. Check NFL.com for stats before you say stupid things.
Here's a few stats for you. Last year the Packers were 32 in total defense(yards), but they only gave up 22.4 points per game. This year they are currently ranked 10th total defense(yards) but have only given up 19.9 points per game. At 2.5 per game improvement. The Vikings last year were ranked 21st in total defense(yards) but gave up 28.1 points per game. This year the Vikings are currently ranked 16th in total defense(yards) but have only given up 20.9 points per game. For an improvement of 7.2 points per game. The total difference in points per game between the two teams amounts to 15 points on the year. Or 1 point per game. Packers have given up 32 (11 rushing, 21 passing) TD's on the year. The Vikings have given up 34 (10 rushing, 24 passing) TD's on the year.

As to your total yards BS. The Packer have given up 4944 yards on 976 defensive plays for a rate of 5.11 yards per play. The Vikings have given up 5194.5 yards on 1022 plays for and average of 5.08 yards per play. Had the Vikings only had 976 defensive plays they would have given up only 4915 yards compared to the Packers 4944 yards.

And here's one more thing for you. The 8 common games, Houston, Indy, Jacksonville, Tennessee, San Fran, Seattle, Arizona, and St. Louis. Packer gave up an average of 21.38 points per game. Vikings, 17.25. Non common common games. Skins, Giant, Tampa and Saints. Packers 32.5, Vikings 37. And division games not including the Packer-Viking game. Packer 14.75, Vikings 19.75. Against the 4(5 for Vikings including the Packers) teams we know are in the playoffs at this point. Packers defense has given up 22 points per game, Vikings, 19. So that give you a little idea of were the points are being scored.

So don't sit there and crow about how much better the Packers defense is based on one or two figures. Yards given up and points scored. Fact is both defenses are better than last year.

All stats taken from NFL.com. Total yardage stats are per game stats multiplied by total number of games.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Raptor...How many games were the Packers up and the team just passed the ball at the end?? We all know that happens..

In 2005 we had the #1 ranked def for yards...Why? We were 4-12 and when losing, the other team would just run the ball to grind clock out..So the passing yards were way down..Which led us to having the #1 def for passing yards...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing/sort/rushingAttempts/position/defense

That shows att of rushing per game defenses give up..Of the bottom 15 teams, only 4 are in hunt for playoffs...That means the other 11 teams are losing, so their opponents run out clock...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/sort/passingAttempts/position/defense

Passing attempts by opposing teams

Of the bottom 15 teams, 9 are in hunt for playoffs....Those 9 opponents are playing catch up so they pass more..

So I would like to know how many pass att and yards our opponents have when they are losing or known they will lose..

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, this is it. I don't want any part of a #3-#6 Packers-Vikings matchup, especially considering how the last one turned out. The Packers are 4 wins from a Super Bowl title either way. I expect it'll be close no matter what. This game I believe is on par with the game at the New York Jets 10 years ago. You may remember that one - the Jets blew out the Packers (45-17?) in a game the Packers needed to win for the #1 seed. The Packers then failed to show up the next week vs. Atlanta. I get the feeling this game is of the same importance.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
All 4th q stats

1st Bear game 8 pass att 3 rushes

N.O. 14 pass att 4 rushes

Texans 15 passes, 7 runs, but last 3 were with 1:53 left and had no bearing on game..So you could say 15 passes and 4 runs

Rams 14 passes 4 runs..

You get the point

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Raptor...How many games were the Packers up and the team just passed the ball at the end?? We all know that happens..

In 2005 we had the #1 ranked def for yards...Why? We were 4-12 and when losing, the other team would just run the ball to grind clock out..So the passing yards were way down..Which led us to having the #1 def for passing yards...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing/sort/rushingAttempts/position/defense

That shows att of rushing per game defenses give up..Of the bottom 15 teams, only 4 are in hunt for playoffs...That means the other 11 teams are losing, so their opponents run out clock...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/sort/passingAttempts/position/defense

Passing attempts by opposing teams

Of the bottom 15 teams, 9 are in hunt for playoffs....Those 9 opponents are playing catch up so they pass more..

So I would like to know how many pass att and yards our opponents have when they are losing or known they will lose..
While that's a nice theory, unless they break it down by quarter we don't really know. The average number of rushes between the top 16 and the bottom 16 only has a difference of 4.2 rushes per game. That's not enough difference to make a statement on running out the clock. Although I know teams do it. I would like to see a breakdown of rushes defense's by quarter. Now that would be more telling.

My point in my previous post is more along the lines of "you can't judge one defense better than another based on one or two stats". I got a little carried away once it started. But it is still interesting. I think the defense's of both these teams have made improvements over the past year and to declare one superior to the other is just arrogant. They both have strengths and weakness's. They both have improved and are improving weekly. The main difference in the two teams at this point is the offense.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
My point in my previous post is more along the lines of "you can't judge one defense better than another based on one or two stats". I got a little carried away once it started. But it is still interesting. .

Yup I agree

I also like to point out you cant judge how how many points Minny gave up to the Texans and how many we did..And come to a conclusion at all

D

Dan115

LOL win at all COST!!! So if The Packers play poorly and win you will be disappointed?????????

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
LOL win at all COST!!! So if The Packers play poorly and win you will be disappointed?????????
Yep. The win feels more like a consolation prize at that point. I can't take any pride in it. I've been proud of the team in losses before.

D

Dan115

Yep. The win feels more like a consolation prize at that point. I can't take any pride in it. I've been proud of the team in losses before.
OK, I respect your feelings. Do not agree at all. Played with a few high school players who were the same way,only happy with stats the w or l was not the major factor for them.
If their stats were good they were happy with the loss but if we won and their stats were down they were not happy.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
OK, I respect your feelings. Do not agree at all. Played with a few high school players who were the same way,only happy with stats the w or l was not the major factor for them.
If their stats were good they were happy with the loss but if we won and their stats were down they were not happy.
:notworthy: You missed what I've said.
1 winning is a stat.
2 stats are deceiving
3 you can play well without getting stats example A: Bj Raji this year

Winning isn't everything and stats are essentially rulers. You said stats mean nothing. I disagree. Stats are a record of what someone has done. Does that mean stats are all that matters ? No. Can you play well while still not recording stats? Yes. How do you measure all the times a team didn't throw to Sam Shields' man because of the tight coverage? You can't. Aaron Rodgers is the best Quarterback in the league. How do you know that? Stats, like the QBR record he set last year.

Don't shallow me out, I could care less about stats. I want to play well, whether we win or not, and when you play well, people take a look at the recorded data (stats) and that is evidence that you played well, and when you play well, you win the game. High Stats, Playing Well, and Winning all are separate, but at the same time, they are related. You play well, you get stats, you win the game, you record the "#of wins" stat.

Does that make any sense? I feel like I just channeled my inner Madden "BOOM! Well there you go"

D

Dan115

:notworthy: You missed what I've said.
1 winning is a stat.
2 stats are deceiving
3 you can play well without getting stats example A: Bj Raji this year

Winning isn't everything and stats are essentially rulers. You said stats mean nothing. I disagree. Stats are a record of what someone has done. Does that mean stats are all that matters ? No. Can you play well while still not recording stats? Yes. How do you measure all the times a team didn't throw to Sam Shields' man because of the tight coverage? You can't. Aaron Rodgers is the best Quarterback in the league. How do you know that? Stats, like the QBR record he set last year.

Don't shallow me out, I could care less about stats. I want to play well, whether we win or not, and when you play well, people take a look at the recorded data (stats) and that is evidence that you played well, and when you play well, you win the game. High Stats, Playing Well, and Winning all are separate, but at the same time, they are related. You play well, you get stats, you win the game, you record the "#of wins" stat.

Does that make any sense? I feel like I just channeled my inner Madden "BOOM! Well there you go"

OK have fun with your stats. I am only about the W. Could not care any less about stats.

I hope the vikes go all out to get All Day his stats, But not win the game! The W is why the Packers play.
Like I said I respect your stat feelings. Enjoy them I only care about the W at all cost.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
OK have fun with your stats. I am only about the W. Could not care any less about stats.

I hope the vikes go all out to get All Day his stats, But not win the game! The W is why the Packers play.
Like I said I respect your stat feelings. Enjoy them I only care about the W at all cost.
YOU STILL AREN"T LISTENING

This is my last ditch effort to explain:
I could care less about stats, and I could care less about wins. I want to see the Packers play well.

D

Dan115

YOU STILL AREN"T LISTENING

This is my last ditch effort to explain:
I could care less about stats, and I could care less about wins. I want to see the Packers play well.
YES, I understand I care VERY much about wins. I do not care one bit about stats. I think we are both Packer Backers???
So have fun with your packers playing well ----- I sure hope they play good enough to win.
For me it is all about wins!!! I want wins!!! Super Bowl WINS!!!

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's always better to get an ugly win than a pretty loss.
The W-L is the bottom line in this business. There are no moral victories.

That being said, THIS GAME TODAY IS HUGE. For a regular season game, I'd call it a 7 our of 10 scale.
For the Vikings, it's a 10/10.

For us, it's still huge because a win is worth 2 wins basically.

If we lose, we will have to win next week to then get a matchup vs San Francisco, in their park.

If we win today, it takes care of next week as well and gets us back to playing the 49ers, but in Lambeau instead.
I really don't know how much of a homefield advantage we really have in January, honestly. But getting a round further into the tournament is always good.

LargeRon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli (maybe)

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Cobb is out. Inactive:

18 WR Randall Cobb
21 DB Charles Woodson
31 CB Davon House
44 RB James Starks
56 LB Terrell Manning
80 WR Donald Driver
91 DT Jordan Miller

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a few stats for you. Last year the Packers were 32 in total defense(yards), but they only gave up 22.4 points per game. This year they are currently ranked 10th total defense(yards) but have only given up 19.9 points per game. At 2.5 per game improvement. The Vikings last year were ranked 21st in total defense(yards) but gave up 28.1 points per game. This year the Vikings are currently ranked 16th in total defense(yards) but have only given up 20.9 points per game. For an improvement of 7.2 points per game. The total difference in points per game between the two teams amounts to 15 points on the year. Or 1 point per game. Packers have given up 32 (11 rushing, 21 passing) TD's on the year. The Vikings have given up 34 (10 rushing, 24 passing) TD's on the year.

As to your total yards BS. The Packer have given up 4944 yards on 976 defensive plays for a rate of 5.11 yards per play. The Vikings have given up 5194.5 yards on 1022 plays for and average of 5.08 yards per play. Had the Vikings only had 976 defensive plays they would have given up only 4915 yards compared to the Packers 4944 yards.

And here's one more thing for you. The 8 common games, Houston, Indy, Jacksonville, Tennessee, San Fran, Seattle, Arizona, and St. Louis. Packer gave up an average of 21.38 points per game. Vikings, 17.25. Non common common games. Skins, Giant, Tampa and Saints. Packers 32.5, Vikings 37. And division games not including the Packer-Viking game. Packer 14.75, Vikings 19.75. Against the 4(5 for Vikings including the Packers) teams we know are in the playoffs at this point. Packers defense has given up 22 points per game, Vikings, 19. So that give you a little idea of were the points are being scored.

So don't sit there and crow about how much better the Packers defense is based on one or two figures. Yards given up and points scored. Fact is both defenses are better than last year.

All stats taken from NFL.com. Total yardage stats are per game stats multiplied by total number of games.

Ok I didn't feel like posting all of the stats and writing an essay on it to prove my point, however I did look at them before posting. My point I was making was basing it off one opponent they both played was stupid.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Inactives:

18 WR Randall Cobb
21 DB Charles Woodson
31 CB Davon House
44 RB James Starks
56 LB Terrell Manning
80 WR Donald Driver
91 DT Jordan Miller

Members online