Nick Collins [Merged Threads]

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Collins

Just wanted to hear what everyone thinks about Collins performance.... id say so far hes been sub-par, i know the coaching staff basically said they thought he could have a breakout pro bowl type year. I would grade his performace at a B-, while Id give Bigby an A-......

Just wanted to hear what everyone thinks about the kid, and dont get me wrong i like him and i hope he really becomes a big part of the "death squad"

:)

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Collins

I think overall our safeties are playing better than they have in awhile. Bigby and Collins are probably the best combo we've had since Leroy Butler and Darren Sharper last played together in '01.

packer4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Nick Collins

Nick Collins best year was his rookie year playing for Jim Bates. That year he was a hard hittin ****, Now he seems to have lost a little from what he had that year. I don't know if it is coaching or lack of fire, not sure, hopefully he'll find his mojo soon. He has the makings of a great safety just very inconsistent

OP
OP
B

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score

i agree with the inconsistency....id like to see him make some plays and to be honest im just not seeing it, in fact i can think of 3 or 4 times he should have had a interception this year and didnt make the play

packer4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's like the dude is playing with nubs what happened to his hands? At least twice this year the ball has hit him in the numbers. Did he steal Blackmon's cast?

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Collins

He has been somewhat of a let down. I thought he was going to be a big hitting playmaker. Thus far, he has shown very little of it. He's decent but nothing special. 30 guys in the league just like him

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Collins

The ball that hit Collins in the Minnesota game was a short-distance ricochet that was virtually impossible to catch....

I think Collins has played well, even though he has not turned into the big-play guy we have been hoping for. He's never been a big-play guy, not even in his rookie year. Atari Bigby is awesome and has passed him up. In fact, I would go ahead and give Bigby an A, yes a straight A, while I'd give Collins a solid B. He's kept everything in front of him, which is the essence of playing the safety position.

I love it that there is not a single weak spot in our starting defense right now. It's been a long, long time since that could be said about a Packer team.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Collins

give him a little credit..

you never hear his name called...

that means a couple things:

1. Hes not making big game breaking plays
2. Hes not giving up big game breaking plays
3. Hes not getting penalties
4. Hes not getting things run at him.

HEs solid and very trustworthy back there... i too would like to see him a little more involved, and definetly hauling in those interceptions off his hands.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Collins

He was the only reason Adrian Peterson's 55 yard run wasn't a 85 yard run. He has fantastic athleticism and speed, and can hit. His awareness and hands could improve, but he's still pretty young. We've been lucky to get this type of production out of him so far.

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Collins

Another thing to remember is that he spends a ton of time playing deep zone D which means a lot of what he does doesn't show up on the TV.

kewlbeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Collins

What's so sub-par about his play ?? He hasn't been burned deep for a TD.

It wasn't pretty but hid did manage to catch A. Petterson and drag him down saving a sure TD on that long run, a good play and great effort on his part.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Another thing to remember is that he spends a ton of time playing deep zone D which means a lot of what he does doesn't show up on the TV.

That is true.

Many of us fans forget in his position, most of the time, his playmaking is not visible be ause the camera is on someone else.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He was the only reason Adrian Peterson's 55 yard run wasn't a 85 yard run. He has fantastic athleticism and speed, and can hit. His awareness and hands could improve, but he's still pretty young. We've been lucky to get this type of production out of him so far.

No kidding. Can you imagine if we still had Sharper, and had to watch him try to catch Peterson on that run? It would've been ugly.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Nick Collins

I guess in a way I agree, he hasn't made any big plays or even a game changer or sealer...

But something to note in addition to the great points above... watch most of the deeper routes and you see Collins in the right position giving deep help with the play in front of him.

Additionally the Communication has been for the most part very clean so far this year and you can point to Collins in that regard. He is playing the QB of the secondary, helping Bigby establish his coverage for the play. Much improved over Manuel and others that have failed at it. Collins was given that responsibilty with Manuels departure.. Chuck and Al haven't *****ed once about communication since.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I guess in a way I agree, he hasn't made any big plays or even a game changer or sealer...

But something to note in addition to the great points above... watch most of the deeper routes and you see Collins in the right position giving deep help with the play in front of him.

Additionally the Communication has been for the most part very clean so far this year and you can point to Collins in that regard. He is playing the QB of the secondary, helping Bigby establish his coverage for the play. Much improved over Manuel and others that have failed at it. Collins was given that responsibilty with Manuels departure.. Chuck and Al haven't *****ed once about communication since.

I haven't heard MM mention it once in a press conference, either.

As much as I dream about game-breaking, playmaking Ed Reed-type safeties on the Packers, I'm totally content with them doing their jobs and keeping explosive pass plays out of the equation.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Collins

He's been solid but nothing special. I think Bigby has been the best safety on the team right now but Collins hasn't done anything poor this year. He's been where he needs to be and he's done a good job. Nothing more and nothing less.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Collins

I've seen two plays this season where he had clear opportunities (and was looking) for a pick 6 and the ball was batted down at the line.
I think it's only a matter of time before we see those plays from him.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

i do not think has given up any huge plays, but he has stoped a few TD's

Yeah that tackle on Adrian Peterson was huge. Collins stayed with it and AP ran a 4.38 in the 40 too. That tackle saved a sure touchdown in my opinion and who knows what happens from there.

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Collins

I keep hoping Rouse will start to learn the system and get better and better... and maybe eventually overtake Nick Collins as the starting Strong Safety. Can you imagine Bigby and Rouse as our starting safeties? Scary!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I keep hoping Rouse will start to learn the system and get better and better... and maybe eventually overtake Nick Collins as the starting Strong Safety. Can you imagine Bigby and Rouse as our starting safeties? Scary!

Rouse was in the game for several plays against Minnesota (subbing for both Collins and Bigby) and he did not make any glaring mistakes. It was a hopeful beginning. But with the emergence of Bigby in training camp this year, I think Rouse became a distant #3 at the safety position.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score

i'm not picking a fight, just want to say, nick collins is a free saftey, he is not capabale of playing SS. rouse may overtake nick at free saftey.

Reaction score
Nick Collins

I'd give Collins a B+. He's been used as support most of the time, and he's done his job. No big plays, and he's saved at least one TD.

He has the potential to be a playmaker (see Bears game, week 17 last season), it's just a matter of the Packers staff allowing Collins to be a bit more free and roam the field to explot his physical talents more.

Members online

Latest posts