1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

NFC North Comparison

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by PackFanNChiTown, Jun 3, 2013.

1. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +699 / 16 / -0
    I guess you haven't experienced the reality that past accomplishments leave to us. Pittsburgh isn't quite 1/2 way to our level, but someday I'd like to visit there anyway. I understand their baseball field is quite nice.
  2. PackFanNChiTown

PackFanNChiTown Bear Fan's Bane

Ratings:
    +348 / 22 / -4
    Actually if you research the Steelers' championships going all the way back (as it should be, though there are some narrow-minded fools who believe the NFL started only with the first Super Bowl), the Steelers have 12 National Championships but for some reason only credit the Super Bowl wins.

As I always tell my Steeler friends though, the Pack will get to seven Super Bowl wins before the Steelers do. :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Ratings:
    +713 / 20 / -11
    Hate to break it to you but I am correct. There are only 4 trophies in the Packer HOF. There is no NFL championship trophy anywhere to be seen. They won them yes, but they don't have a trophy for it.
  4. Raptorman

Ratings:
    +713 / 20 / -11
    Ah sorry no they do not. from 1933 to 1972 they had 7 winning seasons. 1942, (Redskins), 1947(Cardinals), 1949(Eagles), 1958(Colts), 1959(Colts), 1962(Packers), 1963(Bears). So those are the Steeler winning seasons prior to 1972 an the NFL champions in that year.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. PackFanNChiTown

Ratings:
    +348 / 22 / -4
    I beg to differ there mister! I did another search and found out you're right and I'm wrong so how do you like them apples?

oh wait...
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +699 / 16 / -0
    A bit of history for our friends: The Steelers never won an NFL Championship from 1920 until their first in 1974. They were in the NFL until the merger, then moved to the AFC after the merger, which was good for their futility to that point. League Championships in the AFC do not count as NFL Championships.

The NFL awarded a traveling trophy to the NFL Champions, named the Ed Thorpe Memorial Trophy, from 1934 to 1969. The Packers owned it 8 times. The last holder of the trophy? Your Minnesota Vikings, who took it in 1969, their only NFL Championship, and promptly lost to the Chiefs in the Big Game, the last before the leagues merged. Where is the Ed Thorpe Trophy? Nobody seems to know, but I find it fitting that a franchise like Minnesota would be responsible for losing it.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Raptorman

Ratings:
    +713 / 20 / -11
    Never thought I would read those words on a Packer forum. :)

And really, since no one really gives a damn about anything other than the "New" trophy the fact that it is lost is, well lost on a lot of NFL fans. Most under the age of 50 don't even know that it existed. It would be cool to find it at a yard sale however. This it what it looks like. Keep your eyes open.

[​IMG]
  8. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan USMC4EVER

Ratings:
    +1,189 / 74 / -16
    Packer Fan Since:
    well, good sir....I was speaking of overall titles....of which there are much more than 4. Jealous haters....:)
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  9. fanindaup

fanindaup Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    I've been to the Packer HOF several times, and while Raptor is right about the four trophies, I will also attest those four are shiny and potentially throw a lot of glare.
  10. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +699 / 16 / -0
    A country without a memory is a country of madmen.
    George Santayana
    Again, you are correct. Sadly, the Super Bowl has become the origin of Championships, even by today's NFL leaders, who are primarily P.R. people more interested in the money than the game. The Thorpe Trophy is a treasure that any thinking person would like to see in a Hall of Fame--even if it were in Minneapolis.
  11. AmishMafia

AmishMafia There's cheese under that hat

Ratings:
    +1,519 / 52 / -4
    My theory, is that it is still in Minnesota, in a secret closet somewhere. It was a traveling trophy - they would have to relinquish the thing the next year. The Vikings had it and they knew they probably would never win it agian. They told everyone it was lost so they could keep it.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +699 / 16 / -0
    And they were correct--they never would have won it again. If anyone still has it, my first guess would be the Mike Lynn family. Maybe it will show up in a garage sale sometime.
  13. Raptorman

Ratings:
    +713 / 20 / -11
    Well, I wonder if they would have to give it up. Because it was the NFL Championship trophy and the "new" NFL Championship game was the Super Bowl the next season. They even named a new trophy for the NFC championship game in 1984. But from 70-83 I don't believe they had a trophy.
  14. PackFanNChiTown

Ratings:
    +348 / 22 / -4
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Africa, native villagers are reaping the rewards of the failure which is the Chicago Bears...
    [​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. AmishMafia

AmishMafia There's cheese under that hat

Ratings:
    +1,519 / 52 / -4
    After the 1969 season, the Vikings lost SB4. THe NFL championship was still being awarded to the NFC championship team through the first 4 NFC vrs AFC championships. They may have continued the tradition, but called it the NFC Championship.
  16. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,048 / 47 / -2
    Packer Fan Since:
    So it was an un-recovered fumble?
  17. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan USMC4EVER

Ratings:
    +1,189 / 74 / -16
    Packer Fan Since:
    it seems to be a "perma-fumble"
  18. Raptorman

Ratings:
    +713 / 20 / -11
    During the first 4 Super Bowl both the NFL and AFL awarded their Championships as they always had. That championship is what got you to the Super Bowl. The First 4 Super Bowls were not, repeat, not, NFL or AFL championship games. That's why I say if you think about the "true" history of the NFL, the Packers have 15 Championships. 13 NFL Championships(including the last 2 Super Bowls) and 2 AFL-NFL Championships. But that is not how the NFL wants it to look for some reason or another. There is a piece of film footage out there that shows Lombardi complaining about playing KC in the first Super Bowl, because they had already won the NFL championship why did they have to play another game was his basic gripe. NFL network doesn't show it. But I have seen it several times.

They did not rename anything until after the merger in 1970. That is also the year the Super Bowl became the NFL Championship. So, the New York Jets have a Super Bowl, but not a NFL championship.
  19. PackFanNChiTown

Ratings:
    +348 / 22 / -4
    A great analysis on Cutler from a Bear forum Raptorman and I frequent. A little long but a good read.

20. PackFanNChiTown

Ratings:
    +348 / 22 / -4
    So we're two weeks in and the Bears are 2-0 while the Pack share 1-1 with the Lions and the Queens bringing up the rear.

Any thoughts on the Bears so far? Are they getting the advantage of playing easy games so far or are they improved? Do they pose a threat to the Pack winning the division for the 3rd year in a row?

Two things I'll grudgingly admit, Emery is a better GM than Angelo, (I miss him), and Trestman has a better grasp on the offense than Lovie did.

Hated seeing them pull out the win yesterday but much of that was on the Vikes for the blown coverage.
  21. Ceodore

Ceodore Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +162 / 5 / -1
    I wouldn't call their wins "easy" at all. I would say the Bengals and Vikings are at worst middle of the road teams.

If i'm being honest, I think we're going to have our hands full with the Bears this year unless we get better in the secondary. They have a LOT of weapons this year between Marshal, Jeffrey (gotten a lot better this year I think), M. Bennett (easily their best pickup since Marshal), and Forte. They've really been able to move the ball this year, and their O-line seems to be much better at keeping Cutler off of the ground, at least so far, this year.

I was really disappointed Minn. folded at the end because that would have been great for us if they lost.
  22. PackerFlatLander

PackerFlatLander Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +285 / 7 / -2
    Packer Fan Since:
    Eh, nothing to see here. The Bears start like, 7-1 or 8-1 every f'ing year, nothing new at all. Can't wait until January, so all these Al Capone wanna-be's around here can STFU.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  23. Raptorman

Ratings:
    +713 / 20 / -11
    The Bears by all means should have lost that game. The MN coaches gave it to them by their stupid play calling. What's interesting is you get to see just how much Felton means to Peterson. If Felton was playing, that 1 and goal would not have ended up a FG. BTW, for anyone counting, Peterson has 49 more yards rushing so far this year then he did the first two games of last year.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  24. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,544 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    After the "Ice Bowl" the radio guy is clearly heard saying the greenbay packers are world champions, then changes it to something else

So I believe you
  25. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,377 / 86 / -17
    Packer Fan Since:
    :sleep: