Mike Pettine's Defence

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yeah why have 6 dbs and open wrs everywhere? I think Jerry Gray did a **** poor job coaching these guys..or they just don't care.

That seems a really unfair to Gray, given that Alexander, Amos, and Savage all played like studs this year; plus he coach Sullivan, a UDFA, into a serviceable slot guy.

King has never been a good corner. I don't know why we would pin him on Gray.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That seems a really unfair to Gray, given that Alexander, Amos, and Savage all played like studs this year; plus he coach Sullivan, a UDFA, into a serviceable slot guy.

King has never been a good corner. I don't know why we would pin him on Gray.

It's up to the coach to coach em up..and if he's not doing it then he should go too.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's up to the coach to coach em up..and if he's not doing it then he should go too.

So if four out of the five regulars in the secondary progressed well under his coaching, but one did not, your conclusion is that it’s his fault?

Can you explain how you arrive at that conclusion?

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All one has to do is watch our dbs.wrs are always open. Our guys play 10 yards off on 3rd and 8. Who tells these guys to do this?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since you can read his mind, can you send me the log in info to his bank accounts?

I thought it was fairly obvious that this was strictly my opinion, particularly by beginning my post with "I think". I didn't know I needed to disclaim it with *just my opinion* lest it be mistaken for an insinuation that I can read Matt LaFleur’s mind.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
All one has to do is watch our dbs.wrs are always open. Our guys play 10 yards off on 3rd and 8. Who tells these guys to do this?

So explain why all the other regulars in the secondary had their best seasons under Gray. If he's a bum, tell me how that happened.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
King got worse. Sullivan started good and regressed. Amos and Savage were better..year 2 together. Jaire was also good. Josh Jackson sucked and barely saw the field. The dbs had what 7 ints total? Thats not even 1/2 per game!
King sucked..yet he kept struggling out there. Who didn't get the memo on the td before halftime or was noone coached to cover this? There was also alot of miscommunication from the dbs and some 12 men on the field penalties as well.
Maybe the pandemic didn't help..but they couldn't coach anyone up to replace king?

D

Deleted member 6794

King got worse. Sullivan started good and regressed. Amos and Savage were better..year 2 together. Jaire was also good. Josh Jackson sucked and barely saw the field. The dbs had what 7 ints total? Thats not even 1/2 per game!
King sucked..yet he kept struggling out there. Who didn't get the memo on the td before halftime or was noone coached to cover this? There was also alot of miscommunication from the dbs and some 12 men on the field penalties as well.
Maybe the pandemic didn't help..but they couldn't coach anyone up to replace king?

King is more talented than any other cornerback on the roster aside of Alexander. It's close to impossible for the staff to coach another player up to that level. Unfortunately he didn't perform up to potential by any means this season.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The coaches kept putting king out there though. You would think they would at least have a backup plan when he was terrible most of the season. Why couldn't they coach anyone else up?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The coaches kept putting king out there though. You would think they would at least have a backup plan when he was terrible most of the season. Why couldn't they coach anyone else up?

"Coach 'em up" isn't a magic phrase; the players still need to be good in order to play. Obviously the coaches, who see far more of the players than fans, saw that King was the second best corner. That's a depressing thought for next year when the guy that wasn't as good as King is starting at corner, unless there is some serious wizardry that occurs with the Packers salary cap and they manage to bring in a decent free agent.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's still absurd to me that it's just written off that Alexander, Amos, Savage, and Sullivan all played their best football under Gray.

It's a good illustration that you can spin anything to try and make it say what you want it to say.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's still absurd to me that it's just written off that Alexander, Amos, Savage, and Sullivan all played their best football under Gray.

It's a good illustration that you can spin anything to try and make it say what you want it to say.

But this one guy didn’t! Failure!

D

Deleted member 6794

Obviously the coaches, who see far more of the players than fans, saw that King was the second best corner. That's a depressing thought for next year when the guy that wasn't as good as King is starting at corner, unless there is some serious wizardry that occurs with the Packers salary cap and they manage to bring in a decent free agent.

The Packers could add a draft pick capable of starting ahead of anyone currently on the roster as well.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question with King is that you might as well bench him and try somebody else when he gets routinely beaten. Even if the replacement is less talented, that guy may still be better if their head is in the game. King, with his supposed talent let a guy run right past him on the last play of the half when his biggest priority is to defend the endzone. Not benching King after that type of mental lapse was inexcusable. What does it take to get benched in Green Bay? That's a valid question.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The question with King is that you might as well bench him and try somebody else when he gets routinely beaten. Even if the replacement is less talented, that guy may still be better if their head is in the game. King, with his supposed talent let a guy run right past him on the last play of the half when his biggest priority is to defend the endzone. Not benching King after that type of mental lapse was inexcusable. What does it take to get benched in Green Bay? That's a valid question.

may have been that he got turned and couldn’t recover.. may have been a great wr route

It happened to the rams vs adams

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It was also a terrible defensive call. Amos said he wished he would have called timeout to ask the coaches if they were sure about the defense. Also sullivan was also getting torched all game. Not like he would have been better.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched a replay of a guy breaking down and he mentioned it

but I’m not as smart as you in this stuff

It’s a low bar to hurdle for me.

;)

Seriously though, it wasn’t a technique issue, it was a bad play call and it was King playing stupid. It wasn’t a great route. All King had to do was keep Miller from getting behind him. Now Miller is fast, so just play off, get ready to run with him, keep the player in front of you. It isn’t rocket science.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
may have been that he got turned and couldn’t recover.. may have been a great wr route

It happened to the rams vs adams
Sorry gotta call bs on that one. All King had to do is line up on the goal line to prevent the only play that mattered. The Bucs had no timeouts left. The fact that he lined and allowed the receiver to run behind him is inexcusable.