Mike Pettine's Defence

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Redmond? or whatever safety that was needed to make that gift wrapped INT a reality. He didn't. when you don't make the plays right in front of you in these big games, you lose. none of that garbage happens if you just make the play.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Redmond? or whatever safety that was needed to make that gift wrapped INT a reality. He didn't. when you don't make the plays right in front of you in these big games, you lose. none of that garbage happens if you just make the play.

Exactly. I was saying this earlier

None of that Kevin King BS happens if he just "catches the ball" lol

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would be suprised Pettine isn't fired based on MLF comments in press conference.

The one thing is--and I think Pettine does have plenty of blame for today--firing him is only one half of the equation. We'd better replace him with a big up and comer who is going to turn this soft unit into a physical machine.

Gute also needs to avoid making frivolous draft picks this next offseason if we're going to get over this hump.

Only bad thing is this next year is going to have a difficult schedule between the NFC west opponents and AFC North.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The one thing is--and I think Pettine does have plenty of blame for today--firing him is only one half of the equation. We'd better replace him with a big up and comer who is going to turn this soft unit into a physical machine.

Gute also needs to avoid making frivolous draft picks this next offseason if we're going to get over this hump.

Only bad thing is this next year is going to have a difficult schedule between the NFC west opponents and AFC North.

Schedule is always 20/20 hindsight BS, so i wouldn't worry about that too much

Other thing is scheme... keep 3-4 or 4-3

There are some good pieces with J'aire, Z, Clark, Amos, Gary (maybe) and Savage and maybe the young ILBers

Pretty much everyone else is pretty bad lol

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
For all crap that Pettine gets, the play that lost the game was going for FG on 4th. If we have to portion blame, I'd give the bigger slice to MLF and O.
The two plays don't have to be mutually exclusive. Both were egregious.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Trying not to let emotion inform me right now, but I'm pretty annoyed.

I think Pettine has generally not gotten much credit for what he's done well, and has received maybe some unfair criticism at times.

That said, the defensive playcall before the half was absolutely inexcusable. I honestly think, given that Pettine hasn't been a huge value add to the team anyways, that one play is basically grounds for dismissal.

You cannot mess up that bad in that spot on this stage. King sucks, but Cover 1 on a hail mary cannot be spun... not even by me, and I've spun a lot for Pettine.
Was glad to read this. The duds/studs thread led me to believe you were giving Pettine a pass.

He's gone. No doubt. At least he should be.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There are some good pieces with J'aire, Z, Clark, Amos, Gary (maybe) and Savage and maybe the young ILBers

I definitely think we got keepers in Barnes and Martin. We need more guys up front with Clark for sure.

I'm split on Savage and Sullivan. They both have the potential to be very good, but they could also just be the next Kentrell Brice's or HHCDs.

And as to the schedule coming up well ... yeah things can change, but how realistic is it that we go 13-3 next year? Probably not very.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, at least we play in the same division as the Vikings, Lions and Bears...so we will most likely win our Division lol

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know why you say that. There was so much time left in the game. No one has an idea how the scoring will go. You take the easy 1 point.

While it's true that it was impossible to know how the scoring will develop in the fourth quarter it would have made sense to get within a field goal late in the third quarter.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

43 would require a lot of depth building, so why not both. Just run a strict hybrid scheme.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know why you say that. There was so much time left in the game. No one has an idea how the scoring will go. You take the easy 1 point.

To cutthe lead to 3, eitherway you still needed a touchdown.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never liked playing mostly with six defensive backs. And even with six defensive backs they were usually guys running around wide open. At times they're pass defense seem to be predicated on a bad throw or a drop, they were rarely in position to make a play on the ball.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF is still trying to decide?

I think the decision was made for him just prior to halftime on Sunday.

Out of respect for the guy he's going to do the whole "post-season evaluations, exit interviews, etc. etc" rather than make a show out of it the day after a devastating loss. But his mind is made up. Pettine is history.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the decision was made for him just prior to halftime on Sunday.

Out of respect for the guy he's going to do the whole "post-season evaluations, exit interviews, etc. etc" rather than make a show out of it the day after a devastating loss. But his mind is made up. Pettine is history.
Since you can read his mind, can you send me the log in info to his bank accounts?

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mixed messages from MLF though. Obviously he can't throw him under the bus so soon...but still it's under consideration.

MLF said:
“It was man coverage. Definitely not the right call for the situation, and you can’t do stuff like that against a good football team and expect to win. When you look at it, there was 120 some-odd plays on both sides of the ball plus all the special teams. There were a lot of plays in that game that could have been made, that could have changed the outcome of the game.”

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never liked playing mostly with six defensive backs. And even with six defensive backs they were usually guys running around wide open. At times they're pass defense seem to be predicated on a bad throw or a drop, they were rarely in position to make a play on the ball.

Yeah why have 6 dbs and open wrs everywhere? I think Jerry Gray did a **** poor job coaching these guys..or they just don't care.