Mark Murphy announced his retirement date

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
You're right El Guapo. I shouldn't have used the word "prefer" and it isn't what I meant. I meant it's healthy to look inside and outside. My bad.

I know Ron wolf was a GM, not a president. I only used it to highlight that outside hires can be good, or in Wolf's case, great. And some of my comments are colored by the 70s and 80s, which I lived through, when the Packers seemed to only rely on internal candidates - esp. HCs - Bengston, Starr (9 years), Gregg, Rhodes - it just wasn't healthy.

Anyway, yeah we all can agree, I think, that internal and outside candidates for president should be considered.
I'd prefer a president that has some network ties to local money interests in Green Bay area for continued future development of Titletown district that of course has football background as well. The titletown district will soon become the future cash cow if it isn't already.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Well Poker I'll be waiting on the report from your Tom Silverstein interview in the JS. I just hope Rodgers approves, or is at least consulted. We know how those things go.
Like all his relationships...he is enamored and wants to be in for long haul then 6 months later is tired of him and wants him gone

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd prefer a president that has some network ties to local money interests in Green Bay area for continued future development of Titletown district that of course has football background as well. The titletown district will soon become the future cash cow if it isn't already.
Good points Pike. And that may be why an internal candidate is best. It may sound enticing to get an up and coming hot shot exec from one of the coasts, but will that person really fit in Green Bay and be happy? I lived in Norther Cal for 18 years before coming back to Milwaukee and that was a hard adjustment. I'm happy now (and retired) but I don't think I could live in a small town like Green Bay, especially after all those years in CA.

And the prez mostly runs the business. So while the GM and HC focus on the football side, someone is at the helm making sure the things you mention happen. If that person is qualified, it's best if they've been around for some time and appreciate all that has been done for the community around the Packers. In the 60s, I never could have envisioned Green Bay as a tourist destination other than to see the Packers. The has all changed dramatically and needs to be maintained - and to your point, grown.

Reaction score
And the prez mostly runs the business. So while the GM and HC focus on the football side, someone is at the helm making sure the things you mention happen.
Ahh yes. I always LOVED Being at the Helm! If I recall, It offered a Dentist chair that the bartender would lay you back and have you open your mouth. Then they would make a drink in your mouth! Proceed toss you forward to swallow it! Where else would you rather do that?
Everyone is a decision maker when at the Helm!, Lacrosse, WI

PS. Are those the same people on the same barstools as when I was last there in 1993? Hmmm.

Attachments

• D967476B-3504-4107-831C-B3020EEA3204.jpeg
    D967476B-3504-4107-831C-B3020EEA3204.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 5C110CA7-E7AE-4AE2-BECD-F9DE7782B7D7.png
    5C110CA7-E7AE-4AE2-BECD-F9DE7782B7D7.png
    333.8 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahh yes. I always LOVED Being at the Helm! If I recall, It offered a Dentist chair that the bartender would lay you back and have you open your mouth. Then they would make a drink in your mouth! Proceed toss you forward to swallow it! Where else would you rather do that?

PS. Are those the same people on the same barstools as when I was last there in 1993? Hmmm.
That kinda sounds like waterboarding. Only in WI.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

uh oh...i bartended/bounced at the helm in college..

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we need a disgruntled airline employee retiree at the helm...who may or may not try and poison us all and interlope his way to the top...:cautious:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
uh oh...i bartended/bounced at the helm in college..
I don't know how I never heard of this place. Now I went to school at UW-Milwaukee. They had the Gasthauz but that was tame and on campus. I think the rural college bars are a lot wilder. Something I missed in life......

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't remember the Dentist chair, but maybe there's a reason for that?

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know how I never heard of this place. Now I went to school at UW-Milwaukee. They had the Gasthauz but that was tame and on campus. I think the rural college bars are a lot wilder. Something I missed in life......
its a pub w a balcony, which I really like. They have signature swamp water...careful tho...itll kick u in the dingding.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its a pub w a balcony, which I really like. They have signature swamp water...careful tho...itll kick u in the dingding.
Yeah I don't partake of adult beverages like I did in college. I mean, that's what college is for, right?

D

Deleted member 6794

In the 60s, I never could have envisioned Green Bay as a tourist destination other than to see the Packers. The has all changed dramatically and needs to be maintained - and to your point, grown.

I don't think that a lot of tourists travel to Green Bay because of the Titletown district but the Packers make money out of it from locals all year long and earn a lot more money on game days instead of previous years.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think that a lot of tourists travel to Green Bay because of the Titletown district but the Packers make money out of it from locals all year long and earn a lot more money on game days instead of previous years.
Yeah except for a diehard fan, few tourists would go to GB except for a game. Attendance increases when the team is in town and available to the public, mostly TC and PS. But it does draw more from where I live in Milwaukee, and when teams with traveling fans are here, it's good for business. It's still a small town and doesn't need a ton of revenue from visitors.

I haven't been to Lambeau since they've made all these changes. I was probably last there for a game 30 years ago, maybe 40. You arrived, broke out the grill, drank a lot of brandy, and survived the game and the cold and hopefully the Packers won. It's different now.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course nobody travels to Green Bay just for Titletown, however the entertainment business thrives not only on getting you there but how long you stay and the spending per cap. I am confident that people are extending their time in Green Bay, which means more money flowing into the Packers coffers. Personally, when we used to go to Green Bay it was for the game and then gone again. Now adays we plan several activities such as going to Hinterland, touring the HOF, going curling, taking the stadium tour, or checking out some of the other local restaurants.

The Packers have made it more of a destination than just a one trick pony. The pony gets you to the door and then they lure you stay with other things that make it fun.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course nobody travels to Green Bay just for Titletown, however the entertainment business thrives not only on getting you there but how long you stay and the spending per cap. I am confident that people are extending their time in Green Bay, which means more money flowing into the Packers coffers. Personally, when we used to go to Green Bay it was for the game and then gone again. Now adays we plan several activities such as going to Hinterland, touring the HOF, going curling, taking the stadium tour, or checking out some of the other local restaurants.

The Packers have made it more of a destination than just a one trick pony. The pony gets you to the door and then they lure you stay with other things that make it fun.
Well put. 30 years ago, we drove to GB from Milwaukee, took in the game and drove home (we really should have stayed......). But that was it. To EG's point, I'm guessing the average Milwaukee fan goes up on Saturday, or day before the game, and then hangs around for a few days. It's a small town, the air is clean. What's not to like?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
What's not to like?
The people from Milwaukee obviously.

There is an entirely different vibe in town the night before a game. Dining slots are near impossible. Unless we are going out for the pre game atmosphere near the stadium district we avoid the GB metro area on those nights.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The people from Milwaukee obviously.

There is an entirely different vibe in town the night before a game. Dining slots are near impossible. Unless we are going out for the pre game atmosphere near the stadium district we avoid the GB metro area on those nights.
Do you live in/near GB Poppa?

I understand the resentment fans in GB have for Milwaukee. I thought it was ridiculous when 4 games were played in Milwaukee every year, in a baseball stadium. Maybe the Packers really are Wisconsin's team, or even America's team, but the truth is they are Green Bay's team.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I understand the resentment fans in GB have for Milwaukee. I thought it was ridiculous when 4 games were played in Milwaukee every year, in a baseball stadium. Maybe the Packers really are Wisconsin's team, or even America's team, but the truth is they are Green Bay's team.
Green Bay Packers played in Milwaukee from 1933-1994 to bolster attendance and stay afloat in the earlier days. City Stadium in GB only held 25,000 fans AND players needed to use the GB East High School locker rooms. In the 50's the NFL threatened to move the team from GB to Milwaukee unless the Packers built a new stadium. County Stadium ('53) seated 36k, the New City Stadium (Lambeau 1st edition) had 32k capacity. Milwaukee played a large role in the success of the Packers, so while some don't like it the team "owes" Milwaukee which is why there is still a Milwaukee game ticket package.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay Packers played in Milwaukee from 1933-1994 to bolster attendance and stay afloat in the earlier days. City Stadium in GB only held 25,000 fans AND players needed to use the GB East High School locker rooms. In the 50's the NFL threatened to move the team from GB to Milwaukee unless the Packers built a new stadium. County Stadium ('53) seated 36k, the New City Stadium (Lambeau 1st edition) had 32k capacity. Milwaukee played a large role in the success of the Packers, so while some don't like it the team "owes" Milwaukee which is why there is still a Milwaukee game ticket package.
That's great background information Pkr, thanks. Looks like they are Wisconsin's team after all! It's part of an amazing story though. How a tiny town in Wisconsin can host one of the greatest franchises in NFL history.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
25 minutes from Lambeau on non game days. I drive 6 miles towards GB and from atop the Niagara escarpment I can overlook the entire metro area with the bay in the distance. With a kick-*** telescope I could probably watch the north end zone jumbotron from there.

Members online

Latest posts