Kuhn To See More Carries This Week

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Starks will start against Denver on Sunday, John Kuhn will also see more carries, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports.

This is the worst news I've heard all day. Why in the world would Kuhn be getting additional carries over Alex Green? I want to see what the kid is made of. I already know the 2 YPC that Kuhn is capable of and it's the opposite of anything special. He's not even remotely close to a decent between-the-20s RB and Green seems like a big play waiting to happen. Thoughts?

As a side note, I'm not into the "Folk Hero" thing, I'm into the play-maker thing! I also would like to see Starks or Green get the goal line carries, because they are far more athletic and can hit the holes a heck of a lot faster. I'm not a Kuhn "hater" by any means, I just don't think he's our best option in any scenario.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Even 2 or 3 is more than he was getting. With Starks the expected starter, Kuhn will probably become the 3rd down back. I'm not sure they will trust Green on the pass blocking and blitz pickups just yet. I hope he plays some though.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
How do they know?
McCarthy told them: “Sunday could bring another blast to John Kuhn's Shippensburg past. On Friday, coach Mike McCarthy indicated that the fullback would see more touches against the Denver Broncos with starter Ryan Grant out.

"We’ll see how the game goes," McCarthy said. "Our primary rotation will be with James Starks and John Kuhn, and Alex (Green) will get in there at some point."

This is the worst news I've heard all day. Why in the world would Kuhn be getting additional carries over Alex Green? I want to see what the kid is made of. I already know the 2 YPC that Kuhn is capable of and it's the opposite of anything special. He's not even remotely close to a decent between-the-20s RB and Green seems like a big play waiting to happen.
I think Pappa San hit on why Kuhn would get snaps ahead of Green: The coaching staff doesn’t want the big play you are yearning to see to be a huge hit on the franchise QB as Green looks back at the guy he was supposed to block. Also, the coaching staff has watched every snap Green has taken in practice and games at least twice – they already have a very good idea of what the kid is made of. And look at McCarthy's quote - if the game is in hand it looks like we'll get to see Green.

Remember last year when Starks was physically ready but didn't play? That's because McCarthy is smart enough to make his players perform in practice to earn playing time. Just as soon as Alex Green consistently picks up blitzes in practice I'll bet he gets on the field on Sundays. Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to seeing Green catching third down passes in space too - we got a taste of that in the pre season - but McCarthy and staff have proven they know what they're doing in this regard.

I'm not a Kuhn "hater" by any means, I just don't think he's our best option in any scenario.
This is from the Packers’ website on Kuhn’s bio: “Converted 10-of-12 opportunities on third-and-1 or fourth-and-1 in 2010, an 83.3 percentage that ranked No. 3 in the NFL among players with 10 attempts.” Obviously you don’t want Kuhn to be your featured back but on third or fourth and one he’s a damn good option IMO.

Members online

Latest posts