I'm kinda suprised we didn't take a chance on Mike Tolbert.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was getting into my fantasy groove and I started thinking about this. A tough bowling ball back with good hands at a decent price. I'm not sure why we didn't have him stop by. I believe he would have been a pretty good addition to this type of offense.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who is injured and although a fan favorite, I think Tolbert could do a better job... The guy was a beast in San Diego. Don't get me wrong, I love Kuhn, but I think this guy could have been something even more special with us.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The two other FBs on the roster are Jon Hoese and Nic Cooper. Cooper is listed at 5-10, 249 and IMO also qualifies as a "bowling ball", compared to Tolbert's 5-9, 245.

I don't know how much Tolbert signed for with Carolina but he reportedly turned down more money to stay with the Chargers because:
“I just wanted to raise my daughter in the South,” Tolbert said. “I just think this is a better place to raise a family. It was time for a change, and I just think first of all the South is a better place to raise a family.”
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-took-less-money-so-he-could-be-in-the-south/

Unless he is very geographically challenged, I'm guessing the Packers didn't have much of a shot at him if Thompson and staff were interested in the first place.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched this guy play A LOT of games. He fumbles a lot and for some reason he can't keep his damn helmet on, LOL. (lost a couple first downs because of that.)

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I know is the guy had a solid game against us last year in San Diego filling in for the injured starter.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly.. He had a few fumbles, but so have our Backs. This guy was solid. Also being 5'9" makes you more of a bowling ball sometimes with that low center of gravity ALA MJD.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This is moot since Tolbert wasn't coming to Green Bay anyway but:
According to NFL.com he fumbles once for about every 56 touches. Starks fumbles once every 96.5 touches, Kuhn once every 176 touches, and Grant once every 145 touches.

Packfan14

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The two other FBs on the roster are Jon Hoese and Nic Cooper. Cooper is listed at 5-10, 249 and IMO also qualifies as a "bowling ball", compared to Tolbert's 5-9, 245.

I don't know how much Tolbert signed for with Carolina but he reportedly turned down more money to stay with the Chargers because:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-took-less-money-so-he-could-be-in-the-south/

Unless he is very geographically challenged, I'm guessing the Packers didn't have much of a shot at him if Thompson and staff were interested in the first place.

He signed for $8.4 mil with $2.7 mil guaranteed.

The breakdown of the deal is as follows:
2012: $700,000 (fully guaranteed),
2013: $1 million (+$1.5 million option),
2014: $2.3 million,
2015: $2.4 million.

Hurney setup his contract like this just in case Stewart doesn't re sign with carolina.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
every season a group of packer fans screams for a free agent signing. Every year we do better than the teams that delve into FA. I am sensing a trend.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never been a fan of delving into the middle of the pack-free agency. I like TT approach, take the bargains at the bottom and possibly consider the top end FA's. Why waste money in the middle pack players when he's developed players that will give similar numbers or better at a cheaper price?!

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
every season a group of packer fans screams for a free agent signing. Every year we do better than the teams that delve into FA. I am sensing a trend.
Not Screaming... It wasn't that important. Thought he would be a cheap good addition if in fact Kuhn is hurt worse than we thought.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not Screaming... It wasn't that important. Thought he would be a cheap good addition if in fact Kuhn is hurt worse than we thought.

Wasn't calling you in particular for it. Just saying a group of people always rally for free agents and complain when we don't get them.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We pay Kuhn enough at that position. Plus it's kind of a dead position in the nfl