IF the NFL Cancels 2020 Season - What would it look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HardRightEdge

I think serious conversations can be had, but these are sensitive times unfortunately, and not a lot of people practice restraint.
If you want restraint, wear a mask and practice social distancing.

H

HardRightEdge

There is a COVID-19 Thread for everyone to visit and chime in on.

My intention for starting this thread was more to talk about the items listed in my original post about the NFL and College Football. I am curious to know what people think will be happen. I apologize for my part in derailing this thread from the original topic.
The NFL's newly stated guidance is that opening for games will be subject to state or local rules. It's a long way to September, but that could mean some games are played in empty stadiums while others may be cancelled altogether. I'm not sure how cancelations would work exactly, what that would do to the standings, how revenue would be re-split, how people get paid or not.

Too soon to tell.

H

HardRightEdge

You have no clue. If you need to believe that about me, feel free lol
That's what I believe, and yes, I am free to do so. Your first post on the matter was from Trump's mouth, which is typically by way of Hannity, to your ears. Take a look at the first couple of mine, accurately predicting some elements of the fumbling federal response and the financial havoc this would wreck. It was just too easy to see...if you turn of Fox News.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
2,100 Corona deaths were reported yesterday. This after weeks of shut-downs and social distancing protocols. That's about an 800,000 annual run rate. What might it be if one snapped their figures and everything went back to normal?

I think your 2,100 deaths figure was U.S. Deaths yesterday? The Global total has been hovering around 5-6,000/day for quite some time.

I recall just about a month ago some were saying "500 global deaths a day from COVID19 is acceptable and normal and people are being over dramatic". I'm sure a 12 fold increase is acceptable to them as well and they will try to explain it away in whatever terms they can to try to help them sleep at night.

H

HardRightEdge

I think your 2,100 deaths figure was U.S. Deaths yesterday? The Global total has been hovering around 6,000/day for quite some time.

I recall just about a month ago some were saying "500 global deaths a day from COVID19 is acceptable and normal and people are being over dramatic".
Right, the 2,100 deaths is US only.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's what I believe, and yes, I am free to do so. Your first post on the matter was from Trump's mouth, which is typically by way of Hannity, to your ears. Take a look at the first couple of mine, accurately predicting some elements of the fumbling federal response and the financial havoc this would wreck. It was just too easy to see...if you turn of Fox News.
It's quite possible you know less about me than Poker does. If I told my friends and co-workers this is how some dude on the internet characterized me they'd likely crap their pants from laughing LOL

But as is typical of Fox news zombies and their counterparts on the other side, you've not been able to address a single thing i've said on merit. Only by where you "think" and I use that term loosely, I get my information

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The NFL's newly stated guidance is that opening for games will be subject to state or local rules. It's a long way to September, but that could mean some games are played in empty stadiums while others may be cancelled altogether. I'm not sure how cancelations would work exactly, what that would do to the standings, how revenue would be re-split, how people get paid or not.

Too soon to tell.

Yup and they have to plan as if there will be a season.

MLB and the NBA are talking about moving all the teams to one general location. The NBA is even talking about just starting up the playoffs and doing it all at Disney World or in Vegas. The rabid sports fans will love this, but I have to wonder how it will be historically viewed, if any number of players, coaches or other personnel are severely compromised as a result of it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup and they have to plan as if there will be a season.

MLB and the NBA are talking about moving all the teams to one general location. The NBA is even talking about just starting up the playoffs and doing it all at Disney World or in Vegas. The rabid sports fans will love this, but I have to wonder how it will be historically viewed, if any number of players, coaches or other personnel are severely compromised as a result of it.
They'll have trouble getting around state rules though wouldn't they? so they don't have crowds, but with coaches players and support staff, there is going to be far more than gatherings of 10, 50, 100, etc. Are hotels open?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think your 2,100 deaths figure was U.S. Deaths yesterday? The Global total has been hovering around 5-6,000/day for quite some time.

I recall just about a month ago some were saying "500 global deaths a day from COVID19 is acceptable and normal and people are being over dramatic". I'm sure a 12 fold increase is acceptable to them as well and they will try to explain it away in whatever terms they can to try to help them sleep at night.
actually I said even at 500 per day in this country we wouldn't run out of caskets.

Context brother, context. we lose 7-9K a day, every day in this country alone. Outside of NYC, people aren't really dying any faster than they do any other day in this country by any noticeable perception. Gotta label them with something. If you're not going to address me and you're done with me, don't use any of my words either, but at least get them right if you do.

and while it's actually a 4 fold increase in that number, can you tell me how many Americans died up till May of 2019 vs May of 2020. Then give the percent increase.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
9,215 know cases in WI
1732 Covid needing medical care of any sort of that, 435 were covid+ needing ICU care.
5477 have never needed any care at any level
there is incomplete data on 2,036 cases
I'm in Indiana, we seem to have it worse here than in Wisconsin. As of this writing we have 23,146 cases with 1,328 deaths.

What might it be if one snapped their figures and everything went back to normal?
Good question. We can only speculate, but I'd like to know. Presumably it would be a lot worse, but a lot of places with less restrictive measures but are doing better than places with more restrictive measures. Even with all the mitigation efforts, the number of new cases and deaths have stayed pretty flat. They may be decreasing a little, but not by much. But now they're starting to open things up more, it will be interesting to see what happens. Because I haven't seen any indications that the virus has retreated any.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They'll have trouble getting around state rules though wouldn't they? so they don't have crowds, but with coaches players and support staff, there is going to be far more than gatherings of 10, 50, 100, etc. Are hotels open?

Not if the particular states that they decide to bring their business to lift the State orders.

If you want to read about ideas being tossed about for the NBA

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/5/8/21251793/nba-reopening-chatter

Even the NBA is talking about their 2020-21 season possibly having to start next January. The more things I read like that, the more I start to think that there really won't be a 2020 NFL season. Let's put it this way, if someone offered to sell me non-refundable Packer Season tickets for this year at $50/ticket, I probably would pass.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm in Indiana, we seem to have it worse here than in Wisconsin. As of this writing we have 23,146 cases with 1,328 deaths.

Good question. We can only speculate, but I'd like to know. Presumably it would be a lot worse, but a lot of places with less restrictive measures but are doing better than places with more restrictive measures. Even with all the mitigation efforts, the number of new cases and deaths have stayed pretty flat. They may be decreasing a little, but not by much. But now they're starting to open things up more, it will be interesting to see what happens. Because I haven't seen any indications that the virus has retreated any.
it's a good question, right now, we've stopped nothing. maybe delayed, but stopped? numbers over 4 months or numbers over a year, will they be different in the end? So far we're not much better off treating the cases that need treating and people are as vulnerable as they were 4 months ago out in public.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if someone offered to sell me non-refundable Packer Season tickets for this year at $50/ticket, I probably would pass.
If someone offered them to me for free, I would likely turn them down.
I'd be surprised if we see a full NFL season. And if we do, are they going to be limited to 23-50% capacity with everyone wearing masks? Test all the players every Saturday? What happens when a player gets it?

it's a good question, right now, we've stopped nothing. maybe delayed, but stopped? numbers over 4 months or numbers over a year, will they be different in the end?
Seems like they've just kicked it down the road. The idea was to keep the health care system from being overwhelmed. They've done that, and then some. Many hospitals now don't have enough business. I'm not sure all this faith in a vaccine is justified either.

Arodgers12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There seems to be a fair dose of Fox News in your information, the same guys who were backing the Trumpion, "it's just like the flue" nonsense.
You support an idiot like Joe Biden. The guy doesn’t even know who he is running against.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If someone offered them to me for free, I would likely turn them down.
I'd be surprised if we see a full NFL season. And if we do, are they going to be limited to 23-50% capacity with everyone wearing masks? Test all the players every Saturday? What happens when a player gets it?

Seems like they've just kicked it down the road. The idea was to keep the health care system from being overwhelmed. They've done that, and then some. Many hospitals now don't have enough business. I'm not sure all this faith in a vaccine is justified either.
they've crippled us, and it's not just being dramatic. There's a lot of trouble brewing, but it's shifting and things are starting to flow again. The problem is, many are just as ill equipped to deal with it now as then.

Don't say you don't have faith in a vaccine, you'll be labeled and quickly. Must be a Jenny Mccarthy fan or something :)

anyway, this is the 7th Coronavirus that we've found that can infect humans: 229E, NL63, OC43, HKU1, MERS-CoV, SARS-CoV, and now SARS-CoV-2 (or COVID-19). To date, not a single vaccine for any of them has made it past stage 1 safety trials, let alone efficacy and human trials. We've been trying, but you can't beat physiology and these have been tough to crack. Call me skeptical. Jenny via Trump via Hannity told me so LOL

H

HardRightEdge

You support an idiot like Joe Biden. The guy doesn’t even know who he is running against.
I'm one of the "anybody but" people. Didn't like Hillary and her put-upon disposition, don't like Biden showing his age. Maybe this ****** harassment stuff will come to something and Biden has to withdraw, but you have to doubt that after what we saw last time or in the Kavenaugh hearings.

Trump is an idiot, on top of a whole lot of other undesireable traits, and that's a definite disqualifier for me. If you put Biden in front of me vs. a Kusinich-type with sufficient charisma to win, that would be a choice worth consideraing. But that's fantasy--the Tea Party owns the GOP lock, stock and barrel, and until that changes I'll have to stick with "anybody but".

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Lite

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Knowing the nature of Packer fans as I do, despite the coronavirus, there's no doubt that Lambeau would be filled to capacity to see a 2020 game.

For those with no underlying medical issues, the risk would be no greater than that of driving to the game on US 41.

Those season ticket holders who assess the risk to be too great could sell them at a huge profit.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

[QUOTE="Jim Lite, post: 876211, member: 12699"For those with no underlying medical issues, the risk would be no greater than that of driving to the game on US 41.[/QUOTE]
That's utter fantasy. More like a meat packing plant, pun intended.

H

HardRightEdge

Pence's press secretary and Stephen Miller's wife has it now after Trump's bag man yesterday. At this rate it will be a virtual White House, which would probably be an improvemnent.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I love how these people just pop up out of no where with this extreme knowledge and incredible pulse as to what all the old people and now the Packer fans are thinking. I wish I had gotten hit in the head with this knowledge stick at some point in my life.

Jim Lite

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Jim Lite, post: 876211, member: 12699"For those with no underlying medical issues, the risk would be no greater than that of driving to the game on US 41.
That's utter fantasy. More like a meat packing plant, pun intended.[/QUOTE]
WTF??? You're outdoors, and most folks who do get infected show no, or only mild symptoms. My money is on Lambeau being sold out despite the virus.

Reaction score
NFL is going to be on! I’ve heard it reported that because GB has such a putrid draft, theres 31 teams fans that want to see us crash n burn (Plus a significant # Packer fans that rather see GB fail so they can say “I TOLD YOU SO!”
But because only the other 31 teams fans will freely admit it... we will stick solely with just 31 teams. :whistling:

I’m more a constitutional guy than a political party liner. But I will say I still believe both parties still love their country. My brother however runs stiff Dem and he said something to the effect of “Republicans dont believe this is real”. My brother is one of the smartest and most successful people I know (and Loves the Lord dearly). That tells me that if he believes that? He watches far too much Stephen Colbert.. because I know of not 1 person (although there’s some wackos for sure) that has ever even remotely eluded to that thinking. I now live in Texas and I’m surrounded by Republicans in every side.

That just showed me how completely distorted the political landscape is. We are all in this together and ALL suffering, so taking my Brother’s position or even not showing sympathy for one another in a historically stressful situation is really quite appalling. Far beyond CoVid19 to me because those folks using this for “political posturing” ((if you have to consider it you’re doing it) will continue doing it for generations, only to further divide this country. That does not make me love my Brother or countrymen any less, but we need to each change our thinking and quit attacking one another and find middle ground (also called compassion) That’s normally about where the truth is, in between.
It’s really a shame, it takes a 911 tragedy just to find common ground for a just a bit. What a sad sign of the times when we distort the freedom millions fought and died for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.