Hype from the '97 SB win?

PackersNumber12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally think its going to stay home next year also, as long as we stay away from injuries (knocks on wood)

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously... ppl around the league don't realize it...

That trophy is OURS! And whoever wins is a thief! They are stealing our trophy! That is and always will be GB mentality. That is our red flag!

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK thank you for the replies everyone.

What I'm really wondering if it was said more so this time than last, less or about the same?

BearDroppings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do remember that speech, and I remember feeling a sigh of relief knowing that we were back that year. Plus the Cowboys dynasty had just ended, and the 49ers were fading by that time. Man those were the days!!!!!

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like these could be the days as well!
I'm expecting the Lombardi to come home in the years to come.
I think we could be entering a new era of greatness and dynasty with this Packers team.
The Packers were the team of the 60's.
Could they be the team of the 10-20's?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was the same thing as this year.

Next year when we win it'll be different, though. Kept thinking about it watching the replay, what are they gonna say?

"Coach Lombardi is staying in GB"?

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There may have been more emphasis on the trophy returning to GB in '97 due to the 29-year drought of both a SB win & overall respect for the franchise. That win in XXXI brought about a shift in the Nation's perspective of the city of GB & the state of WI.

It's silly but I noticed The Weather Channel began showing the words "Green Bay" on its maps of the US when discussing both national & regional forecasts, even current temps across the country. Not too many other towns of 100,000 residents get used as points of reference on a national scale & we have that era of Packer football to thank for bringing that back to prominence.

The mystique continues... 2010 Green Bay Packers - Super Bowl Champions!!!

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Yeah, the trophy coming home in 97 was HUGE, on so many levels it will never been equaled again. GB went from perennial loser to SB Champion that year. It changed the mindset and culture in GB back to a winning one.

Still hard to get FAs who want to come to GB though. Which is why TT builds through the draft. Look at Woodson. He basically kept telling his agent he didn't want to go to GB and find another team. But in the end, GB was the only team that wanted him. Now he has a SB ring and regrets that attitude and glad he came!! I hope he tells that story so all the players around the league realize, you go to GB if you want to win championships!

I have a great feeling about next year (if it happens, and it should). GB is stacked deep and wide with talent and excellent coaching.

17 guys coming back when you count Jolly and getting 6 draft picks this year (even at 32). Damn, feels like stealing. LOL

PackWonXLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If i remember correctly, the first one to say it was Jim Irwin while doing the radio broadcast as time expired in SB XXXI.

Attachments

• aaron20611e.jpg
    aaron20611e.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 79

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering Lombardi hadn't been home for 30 years. It was a huge deal. As was this one. Lombardi and Green Bay, simple enough=big friggin deal.