Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still don't think people understand how difficult it is kicking in Green Bay. I understand that kickers coming into GB actually had a slightly higher kicking percentage than Crosby, but that doesn't consider weather conditions combined with urgency of the kick itself. Using pure stats is disingenuous. I felt Mason was doing just fine. For anyone in the organization blaming him for losses, I think they had better take a good look at how darned many points they allowed game after game. That kick was rarely the difference.

I think the big thing was that they needed to rid themselves of cap money, and this was an easy way to do it, since he hadn't had a great year. It kept them from being attacked for the move by fans.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still don't think people understand how difficult it is kicking in Green Bay. I understand that kickers coming into GB actually had a slightly higher kicking percentage than Crosby, but that doesn't consider weather conditions combined with urgency of the kick itself. Using pure stats is disingenuous. I felt Mason was doing just fine. For anyone in the organization blaming him for losses, I think they had better take a good look at how darned many points they allowed game after game. That kick was rarely the difference.

I think the big thing was that they needed to rid themselves of cap money, and this was an easy way to do it, since he hadn't had a great year. It kept them from being attacked for the move by fans.
Agree. And at some point - when a player gets near retirement - the team has to make a move if a player is available, and clearly Gluten thought Carlson was that guy.

Carlson has been less than stellar, but good enough so far. He certainly needs to get better on PATs, and while he's kicked well from around 50 yards, consistency is lacking.

Crosby was a great Packer and will be missed. And part of cutting him had to do with the total youth movement the team has gone through.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good summary, thx. For the most part, I remember him as being very accurate inside the 50, pretty good from 50 to 55, and a crap shoot over 55. He didn't have a big leg but he was accurate. Some disagree. The Packers won a lot of games while Crosby was around. Now that was largely due to having a great QB. Crosby contributed his share to those years as well.
In 2010 he kicked a 56 yarder at halftime that proved large in beating Philly. He kicked a 58 yarder indoors in the Metrodome in 2011 I believe.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently, Mason is still missing Kicks that hurt the Packers lol… missed the extra point to tie the game for the Giants against the Rams… and followed it up by missing the potential game winning field goal.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently, Mason is still missing Kicks that hurt the Packers lol… missed the extra point to tie the game for the Giants against the Rams… and followed it up by missing the potential game winning field goal.
He didn't miss the extra point, they went for two and it failed but he did miss a FG that would have put them ahead with about 40 seconds to go.

Reaction score
Good stat to know. What I would like to know is how the Packer kickoff unit compares this year, to last year's unit, in average starting position for the opponent. I think that gives us more information. Now granted, you have to take into consideration other factors. Such as the other 10 guys on special teams, as well as opponents, game conditions, etc.

There is no doubt in my mind that Carlson has the younger and stronger leg (over Crosby). Also, as you pointed out, he is cheaper. However, Crosby didn't miss as many XP's, so there is that.

Bottom line for me. I am pretty happy with Carlson and I loved Crosby. Moving on this year to a new, hopefully long term kicker, made a lot of sense to me and I think Carlson has filled those shoes pretty well for a rookie.
As long as Carlson doesn’t come down with Johnny Fever we’ll be alright

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby's best days are behind him, so you don't need to make things up about him.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby's best days are behind him, so you don't need to make things up about him.
Crosby missing a PAT tells me that Gluten made the right call making a change at K. Crosby was a great Packer and always will be, but it's time for him to call it a career.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Per NFL.com -
Extra Point No Good
M.Crosby extra point is No Good, Wide Right, Center-C.Kreiter, Holder-J.Gillan.
XP attempt from LA 15

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He didn't miss the extra point, they went for two and it failed but he did miss a FG that would have put them ahead with about 40 seconds to go.
He did miss an xp.. now was it a bad snap? was It all Masons fault? Don’t know. But he missed it
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He did miss an xp.. now was it a bad snap? was It all Masons fault? Don’t know. But he missed it
You are correct. He did miss a PAT earlier in the game which would have brought them to within 3. I did not know that. My reply was to the comment that he missed the PAT to tie the game. The Rams kicker missed one too.

Its sure is good we let Crosby walk. We can't be havin no kickers missin extra points now. That would be bad.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn’t watch the game … was told that he missed the extra point. He did miss the game winning field goal though..
He did miss an extra point earlier in the game just not the last one that would have tied the game. That's probably what your informant meant. I didn't know that either when I replied to your earlier comment.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You are correct. He did miss a PAT earlier in the game which would have brought them to within 3. I did not know that. My reply was to the comment that he missed the PAT to tie the game. The Rams kicker missed one too.

Its sure is good we let Crosby walk. We can't be havin no kickers missin extra points now. That would be bad.
I was shocked he missed one as well

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We do not need to worry about Crosby. He has a long, successful resume and can Retire in Peace. Carlson is who we need to succeed right now. And missing 4 PATS this season does not bode well next week.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And missing five bodes even less well
Yeah #5 happened against the Queens. That's tops in the NFL. That's unacceptable. And hey, it's an easy play to practice. The ball is snapped and spotted in the same location every time.

The strange thing is that Carlson has been good at FGs. What is the problem with the PATs? Too easy? I don't get it.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah #5 happened against the Queens. That's tops in the NFL. That's unacceptable. And hey, it's an easy play to practice. The ball is snapped and spotted in the same location every time.

The strange thing is that Carlson has been good at FGs. What is the problem with the PATs? Too easy? I don't get it.
Bissaccia's job in the offseason is to "fix" his PAT yips. Whether Carlson is lining up, approaching, or hitting differently? Time to fix it AND not mess up his 50+ accuracy.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Makes 37 yard FGs but not 33 yard PATs. Biasacia needs to take a hard look.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Makes 37 yard FGs but not 33 yard PATs. Biasacia needs to take a hard look.
It doesn't make sense. The PAT is run the same time, every time - snap, catch, place hold, kick. There may be adjustments made for weather and I get that. But Carlson missed in a dome Sunday night.

I believe Bisaccia is the highest paid STC in the NFL. I mean STs is better than before Bisaccia, but not by much. It also looked like Toure had not practiced fielding a punt. Those turnovers are inexcusable, W or not.

Members online