Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carslon has reminded me of someone all year and it just dawned on me, J.K. Scott. Yes, Scott was a punter, but he was drafted and the Packers had high hopes for him. Despite a super talented leg, he just didn't perform in GB.
JK Scott ranked 22th in Avg. this season, 2 spots above Whelan.

FYI... former GB punter Bojorquez ranked 8th for Cleveland, with more than 3 yds/punt more than Scott or Whelan. To be fair, Bojo punted 87 times to Whelan's 57, so he got A LOT more work every Sunday. ;)

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good thing you're through with rookie kickers...'24 Carlson will be a seasoned vet. ;) Unless MLF/Bissaccia/Gute are done with Carlson they'll probably bring in a USFL kicker or 2 as competition.
Yeah it will be a much more active summer for kickers in GB. Hadn' thought about the USFL/XFL. They might use another late draft pick. Fortunately, the teams needs are lower than in prior years. Offense needs an OT and a RB primarily. D needs a S, CB, ILB and Edge. Could be room for a kicker in there if someone good falls.

Carlson was a 71% FG kicker in college. Not sure why they drafted him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Good thing you're through with rookie kickers...'24 Carlson will be a seasoned vet. ;) Unless MLF/Bissaccia/Gute are done with Carlson they'll probably bring in a USFL kicker or 2 as competition.
I don't think Carlson's NFL career is over, he has a strong leg, he just needs to get rid of his yips. Maybe he and Aaron could go on one of those darkness retreats together.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bisaccio knew him personally and had fixed his brother's issues.
Really? That's good to know. His brother looks pretty solid. Bisaccia hasn't overwhelmed me but I still have faith in him when it comes to STs. He seemed to stop the endless penalties, bring in some gunners, and certainly improve the return game with Nixon and then Reed.

They will still bring in competition, but may not burn another draft pick at K.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Really? That's good to know. His brother looks pretty solid. Bisaccia hasn't overwhelmed me but I still have faith in him when it comes to STs. He seemed to stop the endless penalties, bring in some gunners, and certainly improve the return game with Nixon and then Reed.

They will still bring in competition, but may not burn another draft pick at K.
Until you have a probowl caliber kicker they usually bring in competition. Then you bring in a camp leg as to not wear him out. So a camp with just one kicker is less common than not.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Until you have a probowl caliber kicker they usually bring in competition. Then you bring in a camp leg as to not wear him out. So a camp with just one kicker is less common than not.
Yeah good point. Come to think of it, I don't remember a camp in Crosby's last five years with the team where there wasn't competition. It can only help.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Anybody know anything about Jack Podlesny?
Only that the Packers just signed him. He as an UDFA for the Vikings, but never made the final cut.

He was pretty good at Georgia. Not GREAT, but decent.

151 points scored as a senior in 2022, going 26-for-31 (83.9 percent) on field goals and 73-for-74 (98.6 percent) on extra points, which earned him the SEC Special Teams Player of the Year award.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only that the Packers just signed him. He as an UDFA for the Vikings, but never made the final cut.

He was pretty good at Georgia. Not GREAT, but decent.

151 points scored as a senior in 2022, going 26-for-31 (83.9 percent) on field goals and 73-for-74 (98.6 percent) on extra points, which earned him the SEC Special Teams Player of the Year award.
Good start.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ironic. Carlson is in good company today. Tyler Bass of Buffalo missed a 44 yarder in the closing moments that could have gotten the Bills to OT. Tampa's kicker had a doink today as well.

Wait...What... you mean other kickers miss kicks too. I thought ours was the only one. I don't know where I ever got that idea.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it is a good idea to bring in a kicker from the USFL.. I doubt they would be able to play in the NFL :whistling:
I agree. Bringing in kickers, some viable candidates, some not so much, tells the incumbent that his position is not safe. I'm sure Carlson is a smart guy and knows he'll be competing for his job.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. Bringing in kickers, some viable candidates, some not so much, tells the incumbent that his position is not safe. I'm sure Carlson is a smart guy and knows he'll be competing for his job.
I think the Bears hit it big in 2005 when they got Robbie Gould. He was consistent his whole career especially against us. If a kicker fails early in his career he does not get many more chances.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reference Podlesney. He was the first time all-SEC kicker. He beat Carlson out for it. For what it's worth.

Does that mean he's better than Carlson? I guess we're going to find out over the next few months.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Poker!!!! You've. Brought. Captain. Back! Thanks for reminding me how much I don't miss him. Makes me wonder though if he wears a cap.
I miss the old crank! Captain and I had our differences, but all in all he was an ok guy. He was a stat magician.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think the Bears hit it big in 2005 when they got Robbie Gould. He was consistent his whole career especially against us. If a kicker fails early in his career he does not get many more chances.
The funny thing about Gould, that much like Mason Crosby, he had his cold spells. So much that the Bears gave up on him. He spent his final 6 seasons in San Fran and did a pretty decent job.

Very few kickers are as good as Ravens Justin Tucker. That guy is gold and has spent all 12 seasons with the Ravens. Lifetime he has a 90.2% FG accuracy and 98.7% PAT in the regular season. In the post season, he isn't as accurate on FG's, going 17 of 21 (81%) but is 33 for 33 on PAT's.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I miss the old crank! Captain and I had our differences, but all in all he was an ok guy. He was a stat magician.
He was a cranky guy and he did have some wild stat sources - he was very good at manipulating them to fit his narrative, but then, aren't we all at times? He was probably an ok guy - he was certainly an equal-opportunity harasser. He didn't play favorites.

English was his second language. He lived in Austria. Really, his command of English was pretty damn good.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The funny thing about Gould, that much like Mason Crosby, he had his cold spells. So much that the Bears gave up on him. He spent his final 6 seasons in San Fran and did a pretty decent job.

Very few kickers are as good as Ravens Justin Tucker. That guy is gold and has spent all 12 seasons with the Ravens. Lifetime he has a 90.2% FG accuracy and 98.7% PAT in the regular season. In the post season, he isn't as accurate on FG's, going 17 of 21 (81%) but is 33 for 33 on PAT's.
Tucker is just a machine. I'm sure he's had a good long snapper and holder over the years, but he seems capable of kicking anything through the uprights.

As for Carlson, he'll face stiffer competition this summer and that will only help him. At least he doesn't let miscues get in his head. He just keeps on kicking. Not a bad trait to have at that position.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bears didn't give up on Gould due to performance, they just couldn't stomach paying a kicker over $4mil/yr. which is what would've been required to keep him.