First-round CB for Packers?

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
Packers have the 2 best corners in the NFC... Collins/Bigby were a good Safety duo. I think taking a CB in the 1st round to provide depth is a wasted pick.

Do we not need a starter in other areas? Like Inside OL, may be a TE?

HOw about a OLB? Are we set there with poppinga?

Then again, if we are picking for depth, why not trade down?
This is what I think TT will do... Trade down and get more picks.
OR trade UP for a STUD inside OL.

Who are the inside OL, TE or OLB prospects you are looking for?

I don't follow NCAA football so I couldn't even tell you. Somebody here can probably fill us in on who fits...

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really torn here between CB, DE and a mean big OL.
I would be happy if we get a gem ay any of those positions.
I agree with 93 that we will get a QB somewhere in the draft but I agree with Greg that it would be madness to take one in the 1st round.
Hopefully Ted will come out of his shell during FA and add a missing piece to the puzzle. We are very close and this might be the time to pull the trigger if the right guy is there.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had dinner with Ted Thompson last night and he told me who he is going to pick.

--
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
The best player available. :p

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Tramon Williams as a young, developing CB...but as the saying goes, you can never have too many of those.

I look for TT to take a CB with the first...there are many quality prospects at that position so value should be there late 1st.

OL is a need, but not a pressing one. I think Barbre will push Colledge and solidify the interior one way or another, but will be drafted in the 4th - 5th rounds.

Look for a DE and/or RB in the 2nd and 3rd rounds...unlessa guy like Mendenhall falls in the first...which would be too good to be true.

In either case, I am sure Ted will offer many suprises in the draft....plus we have an extra 5th this year, if memory serves me well.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I had dinner with Ted Thompson last night and he told me who he is going to pick.

--
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
The best player available. :p

I actually like the Best Available pick technique. It's the best bet to get a quality player that will be able to contribute in the long run. If it's not at a position of high need, well, that's where a free agent or two comes in. Pick the player with the most talent because more then likely they will have a successful NFL career and not just fizzle out.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the concept of BPA, don't get me wrong. I think it's the best thing when you're not a top tier Playoff team. Once you get close to the SB, I personally think we should be addressing more needs. We're so close.

I have a feeling TT will be more of a hybrid BPA system, where it's BPA of our needs - DB, LB, TE, OL, DE. We'll see though. It's easier to predict the weather than predict what TT will do.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To Bozz and the others talking about taking or trading up for a "stud guard" in the first round, interior o-linemen don't typically get taken anywhere in the 1st.

You can take a guy who would be a better fit @ tackle, and have him play inside while waiting for Cliffy/Tausch to wear down. But that's basically the logic that Colledge and now Barbre were drafted with.

These points will probly get ripped up, and alot of people on this forum know way more about the draftees this year than myself, but here's my take.
Looking at the last few years, there aren't a whole lot of "wow" prospects. IMO, the guys @ the top all look better by contrast to their draftmates. This is my take on this year's class:

RB is nice, but DMac is the only elite guy.

OT-A lot of "good" guys here, no one quite in Joe Thomas' class, though. Kind of a good plateau of talent and depth at this position, just no "holy *** this guy's a freak of nature!" type of reactions.

QB-Matt Ryan, then nothing til Joe Flacco, who's a project.

WR-Pretty deep as far as the number of guys with physical tools go, but no Calvin Johnsons.

Interior OL-Like I said, these guys are very rarely taken in round 1

DT-If we draft a DT I'm gonna flip the switch to "eff TT I'm gonna assassinate that mother" mode

DE- No speed freaks that make the scouts cream, but there's decent guys we could draft for depth. But who wants to say the drafted a career backup DE in the first round?

LB- Rivers from USC will probably be the best available at our spot, but he's a better fit for weakside.

Safety- The kid from Miami is like, the ONLY safety worth taking in the first round, and some would still say that's a reach

CB- IMO, this is the place with the highest amount of guys with great potential, and guys who are ready at least to play nickel. At this point, there are 5-6 CBs who could be deemed first round-worthy. We gotta take a CB.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
To Bozz and the others talking about taking or trading up for a "stud guard" in the first round, interior o-linemen don't typically get taken anywhere in the 1st.

You can take a guy who would be a better fit @ tackle, and have him play inside while waiting for Cliffy/Tausch to wear down. But that's basically the logic that Colledge and now Barbre were drafted with.

These points will probly get ripped up, and alot of people on this forum know way more about the draftees this year than myself, but here's my take.
Looking at the last few years, there aren't a whole lot of "wow" prospects. IMO, the guys @ the top all look better by contrast to their draftmates. This is my take on this year's class:

RB is nice, but DMac is the only elite guy.

OT-A lot of "good" guys here, no one quite in Joe Thomas' class, though. Kind of a good plateau of talent and depth at this position, just no "holy *** this guy's a freak of nature!" type of reactions.

QB-Matt Ryan, then nothing til Joe Flacco, who's a project.

WR-Pretty deep as far as the number of guys with physical tools go, but no Calvin Johnsons.

Interior OL-Like I said, these guys are very rarely taken in round 1

DT-If we draft a DT I'm gonna flip the switch to "eff TT I'm gonna assassinate that mother" mode

DE- No speed freaks that make the scouts cream, but there's decent guys we could draft for depth. But who wants to say the drafted a career backup DE in the first round?

LB- Rivers from USC will probably be the best available at our spot, but he's a better fit for weakside.

Safety- The kid from Miami is like, the ONLY safety worth taking in the first round, and some would still say that's a reach

CB- IMO, this is the place with the highest amount of guys with great potential, and guys who are ready at least to play nickel. At this point, there are 5-6 CBs who could be deemed first round-worthy. We gotta take a CB.

PIB - Thanks. I know nothing about college.

I'm hoping TT fills the following needs - DB, LB, DE, Interior OL, and maybe TE. One favor - do you know anything about TEs in college? Anyone worth being excited about?

I'm hoping we don't waste a pick on a WR. We're pretty deep there, unless that WR is the next Gregorious of course.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Late part of round one is generally where the top Guards and Centers start comming off the board, I will not be surprised at all if we take a stout G or C in the first round.

Last Year.. First Guard Center was

29 Baltimore Ben Grubbs G

23 Davin Joseph G Oklahoma Tampa Bay Buccaneers
29 Nick Mangold C Ohio State New York Jets

26 Chris Spencer C Mississippi Seattle Seahawks
32 Logan Mankins G Fresno State New England Patriots

My point is, there very well might be someone of great value sitting on the board come the late part of the first round. Don't be surprised with that interior lineman pick even though it isn't very ****.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PIB - Thanks. I know nothing about college.

I'm hoping TT fills the following needs - DB, LB, DE, Interior OL, and maybe TE. One favor - do you know anything about TEs in college? Anyone worth being excited about?

I'm hoping we don't waste a pick on a WR. We're pretty deep there, unless that WR is the next Gregorious of course.

No prob, zomb!

I knew I left something out of that list:

TE- Fred Davis from USC looks pretty shiny and nice, but I think Donald Lee is currently better than a lot of NFL starting tight ends, so I think our #30 (oh yeah!) pick would be better spent somewhere else. Pretty much, he's a step below elite, and I think we have the same type of player in D-Lee.

After that you have John Carlson from Notre Dame, who's rough around the edges, and does have a durability flag. Not quite as flashy or complete as Davis.

After that, it's all guys who are pretty unexceptional at this point, no one yet from what I've seen really "jumps" at me.

Oh, but I do like Martin Rucker from Mizzou as a second or third round pick. He should go in the top 3 or 4 at his position, and will probably take some developing, especially in the area of blocking, but with Lee in place this kid could be groomed to step in pretty smoothly. He also gets high plus marks for being an "Extremely durable athlete" according to ESPN Insider. Kind of a Chris Cooley H back-type, but has room on his frame to bulk up and become a more standard tight end.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Late part of round one is generally where the top Guards and Centers start comming off the board, I will not be surprised at all if we take a stout G or C in the first round.

My point is, there very well might be someone of great value sitting on the board come the late part of the first round. Don't be surprised with that interior lineman pick even though it isn't very ****.

Good points there, 93. No chance though that we'd need to trade up if we wanted to get that position.

Interior linemen tend to generate a bit buzz more once the combine rolls around, too.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Good points there, 93. No chance though that we'd need to trade up if we wanted to get that position.

Interior linemen tend to generate a bit buzz more once the combine rolls around, too.

Agreed, but they hold a ton of value right around our slot in the draft.. and usually have a high hit percentage. That list below are all quality players.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mmm. I forgot. If he's there, I would have no beef with taking Ryan Clady from Boise State. Supposedly he's a perfect fit for Denver, but screw the Broncos. Shanahan's gonna screw up this draft too and pass on him. So we reap all the rewards....

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
No prob, zomb!

I knew I left something out of that list:

TE- Fred Davis from USC looks pretty shiny and nice, but I think Donald Lee is currently better than a lot of NFL starting tight ends, so I think our #30 (oh yeah!) pick would be better spent somewhere else. Pretty much, he's a step below elite, and I think we have the same type of player in D-Lee.

After that you have John Carlson from Notre Dame, who's rough around the edges, and does have a durability flag. Not quite as flashy or complete as Davis.

After that, it's all guys who are pretty unexceptional at this point, no one yet from what I've seen really "jumps" at me.

Oh, but I do like Martin Rucker from Mizzou as a second or third round pick. He should go in the top 3 or 4 at his position, and will probably take some developing, especially in the area of blocking, but with Lee in place this kid could be groomed to step in pretty smoothly. He also gets high plus marks for being an "Extremely durable athlete" according to ESPN Insider. Kind of a Chris Cooley H back-type, but has room on his frame to bulk up and become a more standard tight end.

I don't know. Having 2 Donald Lees sounds intriguing. It opens up all kinds of possibilities with 2 TE sets and would drive opposing Ds crazy. Most Ds only have one LB that's solid at covering TEs. Back in '96, remember what we did with Chmura and Keith Jackson? I'm sure Favre would love to have that again.

Plus I really think it would help in the Red Zone, a place we're still not where we should be.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the first round you take the best player available. You look for an impact player no matter what position it is. The Packers didn't do that with Harrell this year. You pick for need in the later rounds. If they stuck with that theory, they would always get a player who can play. I believe that teams that take a player out it's slot by and large will lose on the player. That doesn't mean that you don't pick corners, but if you pick a corner and he doesn't pan out because he was a reach, you may get burned.

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This may be an unlikely or unpopular idea, but I hope that Jonathan Stewart out of Oregon is there when Green Bay picks.

I'm a bit of an Oregon homer because I went there for a bit, and Seattle will likely get him or someone else, but if he falls to Green Bay - I'd love to see that pick.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This may be an unlikely or unpopular idea, but I hope that Jonathan Stewart is there when Green Bay picks.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Things would be funnier, and since Thompson is criticized for lacking charisma, he can help out there.