Divisional round: Seattle at Green Bay - payback time

TylerD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the end of it, it's just a game.

I mean all of us have other things going on in life outside of football and the NFL.

I think "hate" is a bad term for an actual NFL team b/c it's just a sport. I think when people mention hate, they're talking about fan bases and people acting unclassy.

For instance, when Aaron Rodgers broke his collarbone on the Barr hit 2 years ago... Vikings fans were cheering, which is REALLY TERRIBLE and so there's obvious hate there as that's just plain UNclassy and uncalled for in sports or life or anything...
Well said. I can’t honestly say I hate any fans or organization. I dislike some teams like Dallas. They have a very stuck up fan base which I don’t know why. Steelers fans can be a tad like that as well. And that’s really too bad that Vikings fans do that. I live in Canada and was pretty disgusted when fans booed at the fact Kawhi went to the clippers. Guy literally won us a championship. Some fan bases can be pretty awful. (Montreal Canadiens by far the worst lol)

but at the end of the day, I agree with you completely. NFL is entertainment for me. I have an 8 month old that keeps me busy all the time. I don’t have enough time to hate on a team lol.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the record, I know some Packers fans who are still bitter over the Failed
I dislike some teams like Dallas. They have a very stuck up fan base which I don’t know why.

Lol. In addition to being my hometown, I also did my bachelor's degree in the Heart of Dallas back in the day.

That's just the personality of Dallas though, and it will never change.

Being in my 30s now, I can sit back and observe/notice it and laugh.

I think that that just stems from Dallas being the "ultimate 2nd tier city" in the U.S. lol.

It will never be somewhere like NYC (where I mostly stay now) or Chicago or Los Angeles

But it will always want to be like it, and thus you will get people/fans of teams there who want to "pretend/act/think" that they're in a Top U.S. city. So they have that "stuck up" type of attitude lol.

That's just the attitude of people in Dallas in general. I still do business with organizations there and have many, many friends in the suburbs of DFW still that I talk to on a daily basis; in addition to family.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@TylerD Was browsing some Hawks forum and everyone seems to think GB fans hate the Hawks, why is that?

I mean, we'd like some revenge for past, but hate? I don't think so. Vikings, Bears,Lions, Patriots...there's a big queue ahead of you tbh!

I think there are two primary reasons Packer fans “dislike” the Seahawks. Fail Mary and the NFCCG meltdown. Funny thing is, neither game came down to anything Seattle did, but were instead the result of an egregiously bad call and the Packers meltdown.

TylerD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the record, I know some Packers fans who are still bitter over the Failed

Lol. In addition to being my hometown, I also did my bachelor's degree in the Heart of Dallas back in the day.

That's just the personality of Dallas though, and it will never change.

Being in my 30s now, I can sit back and observe/notice it and laugh.

I think that that just stems from Dallas being the "ultimate 2nd tier city" in the U.S. lol.

It will never be somewhere like NYC (where I mostly stay now) or Chicago or Los Angeles

But it will always want to be like it, and thus you will get people/fans of teams there who want to "pretend/act/think" that they're in a Top U.S. city. So they have that "stuck up" type of attitude lol.

That's just the attitude of people in Dallas in general. I still do business with organizations there and have many, many friends in the suburbs of DFW still that I talk to on a daily basis; in addition to family.
Ya that makes sense. I think between you and me, Texas itself has stuck up fans. I don’t follow NBA a ton but apparently Spurs fans are really bad. My buddy went to a raptors game in San Antonio and he said some of them were super rude. He has thick skin too, but he said they were on another level. I’m sure LA can be a bit that way too. Couldn’t imagine if the Chargers got Brady how bad they would be lmao.

TylerD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there are two primary reasons Packer fans “dislike” the Seahawks. Fail Mary and the NFCCG meltdown. Funny thing is, neither game came down to anything Seattle did, but were instead the result of an egregiously bad call and the Packers meltdown.
I remember those games like they were yesterday. Unbelievable moments. Packers have kicked our butt a couple times since then. Unfortunately I remember the 03 playoff game like it was yesterday too. Hasselbeck in overtime still makes me cringe to this day (even though I love him)

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We HAVE to be ready for them to throw anything and everything at us. This isn't our championship game, but Seattle has nothing to lose.
And if you anything about Pete Carroll he is a weasel. Just like that fake FG he used in Seattle 5 years ago he will definitely pull one or two trick plays.

TylerD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And if you anything about Pete Carroll he is a weasel. Just like that fake FG he used in Seattle 5 years ago he will definitely pull one or two trick plays.
Miami and Philip take the cake for trick plays. Ask New England lol.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well said. I can’t honestly say I hate any fans or organization. I dislike some teams like Dallas. They have a very stuck up fan base which I don’t know why. Steelers fans can be a tad like that as well. And that’s really too bad that Vikings fans do that. I live in Canada and was pretty disgusted when fans booed at the fact Kawhi went to the clippers. Guy literally won us a championship. Some fan bases can be pretty awful. (Montreal Canadiens by far the worst lol)

but at the end of the day, I agree with you completely. NFL is entertainment for me. I have an 8 month old that keeps me busy all the time. I don’t have enough time to hate on a team lol.
I'd like to agree. The rivalries should be fun. And the term hate should merely be synthetic. But over the years I have talked to fans of our team who have visited other venues for the last 4 decades. Many of those fans are pretty nice to our fans. But it seems like the consensus I get is that the one group of fans that DOES display hatred in its purest form are Eagle fans. Now I have never been there but some of the horror stories I get would make me want to stay away from there. On line I must admit that I have had more issues with Eagle fans than Bear, Viking, Raider, and Cowboy fans put together.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to agree. The rivalries should be fun. And the term hate should merely be synthetic. But over the years I have talked to fans of our team who have visited other venues for the last 4 decades. Many of those fans are pretty nice to our fans. But it seems like the consensus I get is that the one group of fans that DOES display hatred in its purest form are Eagle fans. Now I have never been there but some of the horror stories I get would make me want to stay away from there. On line I must admit that I have had more issues with Eagle fans than Bear, Viking, Raider, and Cowboy fans put together.
Years ago, IIRC, Eagles fans threw batteries and snowballs at Santa.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Patriots fans are worse than eagles fans in my experience

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Patriots fans are worse than eagles fans in my experience
Patriot fans are extremely stuck up and insecure, however they deserve to be due to what that organization has accomplished.

Eagles fans I don't really have an opinion of them, but considering how they acted after they won the SB, they are...something else. As much as I can't stand Dallas fans, I don't think their fans would be out of control like them.

Of course you have Minnesota fans who I typically don't like. OH! Speaking of that! I made a bet with a Vikings fan who works at the gym I go to work out and the wager was whoever's team won the division, the loser would have to wear the opposing team's jersey. He made that wager with one of his coworkers who was an Eagles fan, and won (he happened to be my trainer as well. The Eagles fan). This past weekend I collected up on my bet! I brought in my Rodgers jersey along with a broom, and I bought him some humble pie as well as some crow, in which he could STICK IT...In a microwave. I have pictures if anyone is curious.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Patriot fans are extremely stuck up and insecure, however they deserve to be due to what that organization has accomplished.

Eagles fans I don't really have an opinion of them, but considering how they acted after they won the SB, they are...something else. As much as I can't stand Dallas fans, I don't think their fans would be out of control like them.

Of course you have Minnesota fans who I typically don't like. OH! Speaking of that! I made a bet with a Vikings fan who works at the gym I go to work out and the wager was whoever's team won the division, the loser would have to wear the opposing team's jersey. He made that wager with one of his coworkers who was an Eagles fan, and won (he happened to be my trainer as well. The Eagles fan). This past weekend I collected up on my bet! I brought in my Rodgers jersey along with a broom, and I bought him some humble pie as well as some crow, in which he could STICK IT...In a microwave. I have pictures if anyone is curious.

I never really understood the point of trash talk unless it's something friendly/jokingly with coworkers because you're seeing them all the time

Or maybe if you're/they're drunk at a game, but that should be "expected" shouldn't it?

But really what's the point? Unless, like you said, they're someone who is insecure... Because what would you actually "gain" from it? lol

I have a close group of friends, personal/college/work that are all Packers fans so we follow the team together, but that's about it as far as talking about the Packers outside of the forum and the occasional joke with the coworker who may be a Lions/Bears/Jets fan lol

Reaction score
I was thinking about what’s different with the 2019 team. I think it’s that GB can get ahead and eventually hold. In the past, the Defense would allow its opponent to slither back in and then they’d lose ground and crumble. Similar to the 2014 Seattle NFC game and many others.
In 2019 GB gets ahead and then the opponent slithers back in the game.. then the GB Defense makes that big stop (INT by Amos or King or Lowry of all people) and then the clock doesn’t permit it.

This GB Defense has only had a couple of semi poor performances this season. But what’s apparent in each one was the inability of the Offense to control their part of the bargain. The O would either turn the ball over or lose field position back n forth or both.

Much of these playoff games will come to field position. My prediction is that the resurgence of the GB ST return unit, some solid punts and coverage and a dramatically more disciplined ST unit will put GB in increasingly better down n distance situations. Don’t expect MLF to be punting once we pick up a 1st down across midfield crossed with short yardage scenarios. We’re not kicking 55 yard FG or risking a touchback netting <=25 yards etc.. were better off turning it on downs at the 38 and relying on this D.

After 2 weeks to prepare, We also might see a trick play either on O or ST that’s out of the norm (unless the game is a runaway).

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking about what’s different with the 2019 team. I think it’s that GB can get ahead and eventually hold. In the past, the Defense would allow its opponent to slither back in and then they’d lose ground and crumble. Similar to the 2014 Seattle NFC game and many others.
In 2019 GB gets ahead and then the opponent slithers back in the game.. then the GB Defense makes that big stop (INT by Amos or King or Lowry of all people) and then the clock doesn’t permit it.

This GB Defense has only had a couple of semi poor performances this season. But what’s apparent in each one was the inability of the Offense to control their part of the bargain. The O would either turn the ball over or lose field position back n forth or both.

Much of these playoff games will come to field position. My prediction is that the resurgence of the GB ST return unit, some solid punts and coverage and a dramatically more disciplined ST unit will put GB in increasingly better down n distance situations. Don’t expect MLF to be punting once we pick up a 1st down across midfield and in short yardage scenarios. After 2 weeks to prepare, We also might see a trick play either on O or ST that’s out of the norm.

Right.

The defense has actually been screwed over a few times and put in a bad spot and then they tire, because they're human lol, and so then it hurts their stats

Roland Deschain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clowney played at South Carolina not Ole Miss.

I think you skimmed my replies too quickly. Ole Miss was in reference to D.K. Metcalf, and how they had him on a very limited route tree there.

I don't want to re-open old wounds for you guys, but the Fail Mary was called correctly. Even one of your own fans, who was there watching that game, agrees. Packers fans don't want to admit it because DURING the game, there was no good angle of it which is largely why Gruden and Tirico thought it was an interception. Check the photographer's pic further down in this article for absolute proof that it was the right call; Tate had two hands on the ball and two feet on the ground while Jennings was still in the air coming down, and simultaneous possession goes to the receiver. End of story.

https://bigcheesedad.com/2014/08/29/fail-mary-was-called-correctly/

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The rivalry really started in two championship games which led to the first two super bowls.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Still undefeated right?

Yup....my streak of never seeing a Packer loss has been going since I started going to games in the late 80's. This year was the most games I have been to in one season (4), so really pressed my luck :whistling: Was at the 38-10 shelling of the Seahags back in 2016, hoping for a repeat!

Keeping my fingers crossed that I will be there Sunday, hoping for some cold and snow, because if that happens, my friend's wife will definitely not go and I will be there in her place. :tup:

Go Pack Go!

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you link to a cite in the NFL rulebook that says this?
He's right that simultaneous possession goes to the receiver, as far as I know. But I disagree with his interpretation of the play, to say the least. Jennings caught the ball, and Tate put a hand on the ball. Then Tate put his other hand on the ball. Basically Jennings caught the ball, and Tate put his hands on the ball and claimed he caught it.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The NFL rulebook states, "If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control.

In question on the Fail Mary was when Tate "gained control". Most non-Seahawk fans seem to agree that Jennings had control of the ball for an interception, before Tate was able to even come close to laying his hands on the ball, pretending he somehow had control of the intercepted pass.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/completing-a-catch/

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Roland Deschain

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I really don't feel like trying to find the 2012 rule book, but the rule looks identical or at least very similar to what it was then; here's the current one: https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/completing-a-catch/

"If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers."

Jennings would have had to gain control exclusively first for it to be an interception. You can see here: http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/6_Rule3_Definitions.pdf

"INTERCEPTION An interception is made when a pass (forward or backward) is caught by an opponent of the passer."
That means an opponent of the passer (Jennings, in this case) has to catch it.
"CATCH A catch is made when a player inbounds secures possession of a pass, kick, or fumble in flight (See 8-1-3). Note 1: It is a catch if in the process of attempting to catch the ball, a player secures control of the ball prior to the ball touching the ground and that control is maintained after the ball has touched the ground."
"PLAYER POSSESSION Article 7A player is in possession when he is in firm grip and control of the ball inbounds (See 3-2-3)."
"To gain possession of a loose ball (3-2-3) that has been caught, intercepted, or recovered, a player must have complete control of the ball and have both feet or any other part of his body, other than his hands, completely on the ground inbounds, and maintain control of the ball long enough to perform any act common to the game. If the player loses the ball while simultaneously touching both feet or any other part of his body to the ground or if there is any doubt that the acts were simultaneous, there is no possession. This rule applies in the field of play and in the end zone. The terms catch, intercept, recover, advance, and fumble denote player possession (as distinguished from touching or muffing). Note 1: A player who goes to the ground in the process of attempting to secure possession of a loose ball (with or without contact by an opponent) must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, there is no possession. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, it is a catch, interception, or recovery. Note 2: If a player goes to the ground out-of-bounds (with or without contact by an opponent) in the process of attempting to secure possession of a loose ball at the sideline, he must maintain complete and continuous control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, or there is no possession. Note 3: If a player has control of the ball, a slight movement of the ball will not be considered loss of possession. He must lose control of the ball in order to rule that there has been a loss of possession."

This is very clear. Tate also got his hands on the ball AND both of his feet on the ground, before Jennings got to the ground. That makes it simultaneous possession, which defaults to the passers. The call was correct.

He's right that simultaneous possession goes to the receiver, as far as I know. But I disagree with his interpretation of the play, to say the least. Jennings caught the ball, and Tate put a hand on the ball. Then Tate put his other hand on the ball. Basically Jennings caught the ball, and Tate put his hands on the ball and claimed he caught it.
See above. The rules are clear.

The NFL rulebook states, "If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control.

In question on the Fail Mary was when Tate "gained control". Most non-Seahawk fans seem to agree that Jennings had control of the ball for an interception, before Tate was able to even come close to laying his hands on the ball, pretending he somehow had control of the intercepted pass.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/completing-a-catch/

He had to go to the ground maintaining control. He didn't before Tate also got control. Both had control and possession, so the tie goes to the passers.