[DEBATE] Staff

tonytokes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: TT vs MS

majikman said:
spardo62 said:
Most of the posts on this site lately have eventually gotten around to this topic, so I would like to post some observations for discussion. We can argue over which philosophy is correct and judge the results, however we can never compare apples to apples in judging the performance of these individuals.

MS thought he had a team capable of making one more Superbowl run, with Brett Favre playing at a high level and Aman Green in the prime of his career. Accordingly, he was attempting to add players through free agency that would help him to achieve this goal. He also identifies key components of the team that he wanted to lock up so they would remain with the team rather than exposing to free agency. He was also drafting consistently in the later part of each round due to the record of the team the previous year. Unfortunately, he had significant misses in all 3 areas and never was able to get over the hump during his time with Green Bay. During this period, the players he was building around got 4 years older and had more wear and tear on their bodies.

TT took over a team that he felt was in decline and not capable of making a SB run, although they maybe could be a playoff team. This gave him 2 choices. Completely scrap and attempt to build from the ground up or continue adding pieces to keep the team competitive for the next year or two and pay the price down the road. With the exception of keeping Brett Favre at the helm, he chose the first option. Unfortunately, I do not think he can, nor should he choose option 1 if Favre is still on the roster.

I do believe that it all comes down to #4. If TT wanted to build from scratch he should have found a way to get Brett out of town, but if he truly wanted him to come back he shouldn't have relyed on so much youth(especially in the middle of the OL).

The way it stands now, the complete rebuilding cannot take place, as we have no idea what we have at QB for the future. By the same token, he is doing a disservice to Brett Favre, who can obviously still play, but has no hope with the team around him.

Hard to believe Spardo, but I totally agree with this post. MS's problem was he didn't get a good veteran receiver in GB, and instead drafted two rookies, JWalk and Ferguson. Rookies ALWAYS take time to get up to speed!

I don't think TT should have gone into full rebuild mode with Brett Favre around. It is a disservice to him. He could have tried to compete for 2-3 more years, and who knows, this year or next the Pack could have been in the SB, if TT would have gone about it the right way.

And then, when Favre retires...REBUILD THE TEAM. Why he was in an all fired hurry to scrap and rebuild now, I'll never know. But it's not like the fans would have turned against him if he tried to win now with Favre at the helm, and then rebuild the Packers.

Well, some may have turned on him, and I think you all know who you are.

because he had no clue if favre was coming back or not. believe it or not, that has a lot to do with his ability or inability to sign free agents that want to come together with favre and potentially make a last run at it.

in fact, most people were saying that brett WASNT coming back so if im a GM im putting my eggs more in that basket than any other direction. what else should he have done? it's not like he could have sat around and waited as the other teams were making moves and then jump in late in the game to take back momentum.

it just doesnt work that way and as much as i love our boy favre, he really f'd us up in making everyone wait that long. limbo isnt conducive to action, that's for sure.

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score

tonytokes said:
majikman said:
spardo62 said:
Most of the posts on this site lately have eventually gotten around to this topic, so I would like to post some observations for discussion. We can argue over which philosophy is correct and judge the results, however we can never compare apples to apples in judging the performance of these individuals.

MS thought he had a team capable of making one more Superbowl run, with Brett Favre playing at a high level and Aman Green in the prime of his career. Accordingly, he was attempting to add players through free agency that would help him to achieve this goal. He also identifies key components of the team that he wanted to lock up so they would remain with the team rather than exposing to free agency. He was also drafting consistently in the later part of each round due to the record of the team the previous year. Unfortunately, he had significant misses in all 3 areas and never was able to get over the hump during his time with Green Bay. During this period, the players he was building around got 4 years older and had more wear and tear on their bodies.

TT took over a team that he felt was in decline and not capable of making a SB run, although they maybe could be a playoff team. This gave him 2 choices. Completely scrap and attempt to build from the ground up or continue adding pieces to keep the team competitive for the next year or two and pay the price down the road. With the exception of keeping Brett Favre at the helm, he chose the first option. Unfortunately, I do not think he can, nor should he choose option 1 if Favre is still on the roster.

I do believe that it all comes down to #4. If TT wanted to build from scratch he should have found a way to get Brett out of town, but if he truly wanted him to come back he shouldn't have relyed on so much youth(especially in the middle of the OL).

The way it stands now, the complete rebuilding cannot take place, as we have no idea what we have at QB for the future. By the same token, he is doing a disservice to Brett Favre, who can obviously still play, but has no hope with the team around him.

Hard to believe Spardo, but I totally agree with this post. MS's problem was he didn't get a good veteran receiver in GB, and instead drafted two rookies, JWalk and Ferguson. Rookies ALWAYS take time to get up to speed!

I don't think TT should have gone into full rebuild mode with Brett Favre around. It is a disservice to him. He could have tried to compete for 2-3 more years, and who knows, this year or next the Pack could have been in the SB, if TT would have gone about it the right way.

And then, when Favre retires...REBUILD THE TEAM. Why he was in an all fired hurry to scrap and rebuild now, I'll never know. But it's not like the fans would have turned against him if he tried to win now with Favre at the helm, and then rebuild the Packers.

because he had no clue if favre was coming back or not. believe it or not, that has a lot to do with his ability or inability to sign free agents that want to come together with favre and potentially make a last run at it.

in fact, most people were saying that brett WASNT coming back so if im a GM im putting my eggs more in that basket than any other direction. what else should he have done? it's not like he could have sat around and waited as the other teams were making moves and then jump in late in the game to take back momentum.

it just doesnt work that way and as much as i love our boy favre, he really f'd us up in making everyone wait that long. limbo isnt conducive to action, that's for sure.

That's ********.

You could just as easily say that TT waited around and didn't sign anyone in FA in the hope that Favre would retire, and he could go about rebuilding the team "in his image".

Why they didn't sit down and honestly talk to one another, we'll never know. But it seems like it didn't happen. To put it all on Favre is just plain wrong. Maybe TT didn't want to try to build a winner with Favre, but didn't want to come out and say it. Didn't want to show his hand.

Did you ever think about that?

tonytokes

Cheesehead
Reaction score

majikman said:
tonytokes said:
majikman said:
spardo62 said:

That's b.s..

You could just as easily say that TT waited around and didn't sign anyone in FA in the hope that Favre would retire, and he could go about rebuilding the team "in his image".

Why they didn't sit down and honestly talk to one another, we'll never know. But it seems like it didn't happen. To put it all on Favre is just plain wrong. Maybe TT didn't want to try to build a winner with Favre, but didn't want to come out and say it. Didn't want to show his hand.

Did you ever think about that?

No. I never thought about that.

Why?

Because TT building a winner doesn't just happen because TT wants to build a winner. Every team in the NFL wants to build a winner but not every player in the league wants to play for every team.

We were a team that went 4-12 with a Hall of Fame quarterback. If I'm a free agent with high character who thinks less about money and more about winning and I have no idea if Favre is coming back (hrm, could they be even WORSE than a 4-12 team?) then I'm not too excited about going to basically Canada to play football in a city that is under 100,000 people, freezing cold and no nightlife whatsoever.

Yeah, I think Pickett was a good signing. Woodson is washed up and was looking for a paycheck, could care less about winning and definitely knows his performance wont warrant him having to play out the rest of his contract before a cut and well, Manual is just an average starter (if that), making above average money. I believe, though, that TT put some effort into it but I don't know, not getting a ton of bites from guys who want to win.

I own a business where I do a lot of "signing" or recruiting if you will and being in a city like Atlanta, there is a lot of competition and a lot of companies promising a lot of things. Often times these companies can offer more immediate rewards as far as salary, contributions, work experience and generally a more rewarding/successful environment. Sometimes not, but it's pretty obvious how winning factors into what I do and if you up the ante and change thousands to millions, I can't imagine those factors diminishing at all.

GMs are judged by how well their team does. Period. There often isnt much time to wait around and build a team in your image as you say. I think signing Robinson, Picket, Manual and Woodson just goes to show that. Compared to most NFL teams, we had to be in the top 30% of FA activity but there isn't a lot of TT PP image people in that lineup. Just desperate attempts to show that he's trying to build a winner right now.

Now I dont think his priorities are in place as evidenced by his lack of attention to the front line but effort was put in for some changes whether you agree with the moves or not.

My whole point is really that no one wants to play for a loser. No one. Only a certain type of character will go to whoever gives them the biggest paycheck and I also think that player isn't often one who contributes most to a winning attitude on a team. Add to the mix that there was no idea that Favre was coming back and losing looked even more inevitable with winning pushed back even more years.

Would you have called TT back? Take away my Packer fandom and I can matter of factly tell you that I wouldnt.

2c.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score

All rhetoric aside, I just don't think TT is a very good evaluator of talent. If I'm right, he won't last long as an NFL GM. They never do (except for Millen in Detroit).

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score

spardo62 said:

The salary cap situation didn't help either. He really had no choice but to let guys go so he could get some cap space back. Yeah, he should have kept Wahle, but he really couldn't afford to. That goes back to Sherman as well.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score

ahaug82 said:
spardo62 said:

The salary cap situation didn't help either. He really had no choice but to let guys go so he could get some cap space back. Yeah, he should have kept Wahle, but he really couldn't afford to. That goes back to Sherman as well.

I agree with whatLare posted. Salary Cap has little to do with being terrible at evaluating talent

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score

pyledriver80 said:
ahaug82 said:
spardo62 said:

I agree with whatLare posted. Salary Cap has little to do with being terrible at evaluating talent

#1. I believe the salary cap has at least a little to do with how much money you can spend on players. I could be wrong though. :roll:

#2. I guess if Lare thinks that TT can't evaluate talent, it must be true, right? :lol:

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Trom knew that if he said a thing he'd get banned. Why do you think he hasn't posted an argument AADP?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Since Sherman was unable to get the team over the hump, even with Favre at QB, apparently Thompson decided that he couldn't get them over the hump either. Signing big-name free agents was not an option because it took all our cap room just to keep the players we already had. So Thompson decided to turn over the roster. He had to know that trading Favre would be a public relations disaster, so I doubt that he even considered it. And he may be hoping Favre sticks around a couple more years till the young talent develops.

I don't have a problem with Thompson's basic approach. Whether he has the skills to do the job is a question for another thread, and there are plenty of those threads already. He hasn't won me over yet, by any means, but time will tell.

*Merging -Arrow

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

all about da packers said:
Ryan said:
:pulls up a chair so he can sit and watch this bloodbath:

:pulls up right beside Ryan:

AADP says: "Hey Ryan, I brought popcorn! $50 says tromadz will get banned first in this thread :wink: " :lol:

KMAC, that was friggin hilarious.

You owe Ryan $50.

Reaction score
Overall TT/MM opinions...

Please state your overall opinions of TT and/or MM and/or anyone in management in this thread.

This is now the official thread for any debate of TT/MM between those who feel he has done a good job and those who feel he has done a poor job. Hopefully this will keep the TT/MM debate out of every thread, and ease some of the tension on this forum.

It takes a 6th grader to start a name-calling pissing match. It takes a man to use facts/opinions together in a well mannered and RESPECTFUL tone to make a point that will get others to change their view. Please don't think anyless of an individual as a Packer fan because they think differently.

I ask you to PLEASE keep it clean. People come here for great discussion, not pissing matches. Any off-topic or incorrect posts will be removed immideatly, and may lead to possible further actions.

Respect is a 2 way street, if you want some then you must be willing to dish it out also.

Reaction score
Re: Overall TT/MM opinions...

all about da packers said:
Please state your overall opinions of TT and/or MM and/or anyone in management in this thread.

This is now the official thread for any debate of TT/MM between those who feel he has done a good job and those who feel he has done a poor job. Hopefully this will keep the TT/MM debate out of every thread, and ease some of the tension on this forum.

It takes a 6th grader to start a name-calling pissing match. It takes a man to use facts/opinions together in a well mannered and RESPECTFUL tone to make a point that will get others to change their view. Please don't think anyless of an individual as a Packer fan because they think differently.

I ask you to PLEASE keep it clean. People come here for great discussion, not pissing matches. Any off-topic or incorrect posts will be removed immideatly, and may lead to possible further actions.

Respect is a 2 way street, if you want some then you must be willing to dish it out also.

A quick reminder to all. :)

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: [DEBATE] Thompson Vs ... (Overall impressions of TT/MM/etc.)

My favorite post against TT ever. Lare was the author

lare said:
OK, as long as everybody else is getting a tired arm patting TT on the back, I'll give an opposing viewpoint.

IMO, most of TT's problems he created himself.

He's the one who fiddled around and didn't sign Franks until Training Camp last year (for the same money Franks was asking for all along).

He's the one who wasted millions of dollars signing Sherman to an extension and then firing him.

He's the one who pissed off Bates by stringing him along until the very end of the HC search. Handled differently he may still be our DC (either way we're still paying him).

He's the one who hasn't addressed the OL problems in 2 years.

He's the one who almost had Favre retire because of his inaction in rebuilding the team.

He's the one who hasn't added a viable starting RB or WR (or any offensive talent for that matter) in the last 2 years, in spite of having $35 million in cap dollars to work with this year.

He's the one who's brought in such stellar free agent talent as Little, Freeman, O'Dwyer, Thompson, Klemm & Franz as well as re-signing great players such as Martin, Ruegamer, Truluck, Navies, Davenport, O'Sullivan & Barry. (Jury's still out on Pickett & Manuel even though it's disconcerting to see Pickett make it onto PFT's All Turd Team.)

He's the one who drafted only one starter last year (amazing, considering the crappy Sherman talent on the roster).

He's the one who caved in to Walker's trade demands.

He's the one who re-signed Driver to an extension with 2 years remaining on his contract, even though he told everyone else he doesn't do that.

He's the one who created the Harris discontent situation by signing an often-injued Woodson to the inflated contract he did.

He's the one who let Longwell walk, though then offering another kicker about the same much money.

Granted, some of these decisions were made based on extenuating circumstances at the time. But regardless, I don't think he's dealing with as many Sherman-created problems at this point as many people seem to believe.

Remember, the one word he mentioned at his first press conference was "accountability".

And I will add

He's the one that brought up "Packer People" only to sign Koren Robinson

He's the one that let our best FB go only to find out Willy is on the decline and now is resorting to practice squad guys as the answer

He's the one that hired an experienced coach to lead inexperienced youth

He's the one who traded our best back-up RB for another back-up RB after Gado worked in the system all training camp

Theres more but listing TT's shortcomings is like running a 25k race IMO.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Lare said:
All rhetoric aside, I just don't think TT is a very good evaluator of talent. If I'm right, he won't last long as an NFL GM. They never do (except for Millen in Detroit).

You very well could be right. Next year is the Judgement year. I think (example) if the Packers are 4-12 this year then fail to get to 500 next year then he needs to go.

If this is the case then Green Bay wouldn't have of had a good GM since Ron Wolf and in my opinion Ron Wolf should be apperciated a lot more than he currently is. 2 poor talent evaulators in a role would really set this team back and the "dark ages" would truly be here. :(

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score

porky88 said:
If this is the case then Green Bay wouldn't have of had a good GM since Ron Wolf and in my opinion Ron Wolf should be apperciated a lot more than he currently is. 2 poor talent evaulators in a role would really set this team back and the "dark ages" would truly be here. :(

Then again though, this is opinion

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

pyledriver80 said:
porky88 said:

It's an opinion much like your opinion of Ted Thompson. If TT does pretty much live up to what you think of him then yes between Thompson's tenure in building a team and Sherman's tenure in building a team it could quite possibly set this team back for a long time.

That’s why I hope if it is another bad year this year and next, Jones will be fast to make a change instead of lingering like the Lions have with Matt Millen.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score

porky88 said:
pyledriver80 said:
porky88 said:

It's an opinion much like your opinion of Ted Thompson. If TT does pretty much live up to what you think of him then yes between Thompson's tenure in building a team and Sherman's tenure in building a team it could quite possibly set this team back for a long time.

That’s why I hope if it is another bad year this year and next, Jones will be fast to make a change instead of lingering like the Lions have with Matt Millen.

Again, this is opinion and yes it is similar to that of my opinion of TT. I just don't think so low of Sherman. I see Sherman taking the blame for TT which I disagree with.

TT inherited a playoff team and began dismantling and now has a good majority of his guys running the show. Now it's time for him to produce or be considered a failure.

I don't care for all the spin with Sherman. With the guys he fielded we made the playoffs. How or why is unimportant to me. You can spin any GM's record to fit an argument. The big difference is sometimes you have to spin it to look WORSE than it was VS. spinning it to look BETTER than it was.

I will take the GM who has the better record because it speaks for itself alot more clearly than the other guy who is getting excuses made for.

Reaction score

pyle, would you say the playoffs team of Sherman (which did make the playoffs) was good enough to compete and have a realistic shot at the SuperBowl?

pyle, could this be viewed as sort of the Indians in baseball a short while after 2000. They had a team to get them into the playoffs in a weak division, their team had a few stars on it too. However it was decided the team couldn't make a serious run with the players it had, and so they blew it up and decided to rebuild. Do you think this may have been TT's strategy?

Reaction score

Also pyle, since you coach football, how would you relate your experience to TT.

For example you have a really bad incoming class of 'talent" if you will, and your previous incoming talent wasn't that good either, so now you have a collection of not so hot talent. Is there a way you work around that, or accept it for what it is and do as much as you can while knowing you can't go too far in terms of wins?

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score

porky88 said:
Lare said:

You very well could be right. Next year is the Judgement year. I think (example) if the Packers are 4-12 this year then fail to get to 500 next year then he needs to go.

The the excuse will be..

"But Aaron Rodgers is a rookie..give him time."

The question is, how much time are you going to allow him?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts