[DEBATE] Staff

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Let's throw all the thompson sherman someone else debating in one thread.

PLEASE.

I am not saying I am innocent of this, but let's stop taking everything into a sherman this thompson that randy mueller this.

How bout we discuss who is what in this little thread? If someone posts something about a free agent and doesnt feel Ted will pick'em up. Post it here and why.

Or something. I dunno. All I know is reading 20 threads an 14 of them are sherman vs ted vs everyone else is getting really old and annoying.

/rant off

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: [DEBATE] Thompson Vs. ...

Thompson vs....THE WORLD!

(ps, zero, you are gonna be hated by the mods now, if they use this. Any time something turns into tt\sherman or something they will have to link them here. or they can be lazy and not do anything.)

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm feeling like Switzerland as I got nothing against either of them. I think Sherman was a great coach but just shouldn't of been made GM. I don't know how I can get mad at TT yet when it's hard to judge him as his moves haven't had a chance to prove their worth

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

I would have to agree with those who think Sherman was a decent HC but poor GM. Perhaps the dual role is what anniliated him.

So far I have to give Thompson a C+ or B- on his moves/draft since taking over. That's of course premature as we don't even know how his moves or draft picks will pan out.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I got tired of seeing all the draws, and silly or NO use of challenges. And bad clock management.

He tried, and he wanted to win, and won division titles (division sucked bad though)...but...yeah...time to part ways.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I've sworn off this subject and have done fairly well with it so far. Quit trying to bait me. lol

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

DePack said:
I've sworn off this subject and have done fairly well with it so far. Quit trying to bait me. lol

hahah nice

i wasnt though... jus trying to steer all of this into one thread instead of all over the boards. its kind of a turn off on the site

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

WinnipegPackFan said:
Someone should call up 66 for this thread :shock:

P@ck66 was perma ban. He can no longer come here. Thankfully. The guy surely meant well, but didn't know a lick about football lol. Then again, who does?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Zero2Cool said:
WinnipegPackFan said:

P@ck66 was perma ban. He can no longer come here. Thankfully. The guy surely meant well, but didn't know a lick about football lol. Then again, who does?

You're kidding right?

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

DePack said:
Zero2Cool said:
WinnipegPackFan said:

You're kidding right?

I haven't seen his name here in many many months. Ryan and Co. wouldn't allow him to circumvent the ban. I know that from experience :) Plus, the guy wasn't that intelligent to outsmart them lol

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score

On Sherman, I'll just say that I'd be willing to bet that at some point we are all going to wish we had a HC that could produce winning seasons as consistently as he did.

As to TT, I wasn't impressed much by what he did last year but I'm cautiously optimistic about what he's done this year thus far. Don't think it'll do much for us this season but should bode well for the future.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TT should have at least gotten Favre some quality receivers to throw to...

Hey, could you imagine...Driver, Branch, & Jennings...

or Driver, Porter, & Jennings..? etc.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sherman was a great Head Coach. Probably shouldn't of been fired especially for McCarthy but he couldn't work well with Thompson and the change was inevitable. As GM in my opinion he inherited a lot of talent from Ron Wolf and lived off of that. If he would have had some good drafts early on in his tenture and make some nice moves via free agency, we would of won a Super Bowl in my opinion. I don’t believe he did really either but that just my opinion.

Thompson I can‘t really judge. I‘d give him an F for last off season but on paper I personally like this off season. I like this off season and I liked this Draft. I feel good about the future IF Aaron Rodgers turns out to be the QB he's starting to show flashes of. That is my opinion. I'm not going to denounce a GM who has been here for 2 years. This is really the year where it is his team and he finally fielded some of these guys with some of Ron Wolf's good pickups in the past years. Most of these guys are rookies and 2nd year players though and that is why he'll be here 2 more years whether Packer fans like it or not and that is why I wouldn’t expect anything more than 7 wins this year. Next year expectations will be high especially with the money we will have and especially if Favre comes back. Then again this is just my opinion and this is only a message board where people post there opinions.

BoydAvery

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Time is of the essence

*Merged - Arrow

It amazes me how people will dwell on the phrase "give TT time." Time is of the essence in Brett Favre's career.

The last time I heard that phrase it was "give Sherman time." Sherman did get time, 3 years too many.

Anyone who claims to know so much about football and who credits themselves to be a column writer, should have gotten a "tip off" about Sherman's incompetence after the Packers got lambastered in St. Louis 45-17 in the 2001 Division Playoff game.

Right then and there it was common knowledge that the Packers could not compete with the best teams in the NFC, let alone the NFL. Concern should have set in for the most casual of Packer fans.

The "tip off" was confirmed the very next season with 3 key games, that is if anyone was paying attention.

Wk 12 @ Tampa Bay: The winner would have sole possession of the NFC lead. With over 4 minutes before half-time Sherman decides to run the clock out with a HOF QB at the helm. Tampa Bay gets the ball back and puts a field goal up before the half. The rest is history.

wk 17 @ Jets: HFA at stake. Jets win 42-17

Wildcard game @ Lambeau: Falcons win 27-7. 1st playoff loss @ Lambeau in Packer playoff history.

Sherman should have been fired right then and there. It turned out to be 6 wasted years for Brett Favre's career and the entire Packer organization.

Now we are seeing some concerns with TT. Did anyone learn from the Mike Sherman farce? Let's not wait another 6 years before doing something about it, or it might be another 28 years between Super Bowls.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Time is of the essence

BoydAvery said:
It amazes me how people will dwell on the phrase "give TT time." Time is of the essence in Brett Favre's career.

how is that TTs fault? Should TT and Jones go to the NFL and try and get more cap space, or waive some current contracts?

Sherman wasted a lot of Favres last years, and because they were JUST THAT (a waste), the new guy(TT, but thats irrelevant, it could have been anyone else) has to clean the mess, which takes time.

Its unfortunate that Favre gets older and his career comes closer to an end.

But this isn't about Favre(maybe to you, who will be a Colts fan when he retires). It's about The Green Bay Packers. It's about fixing some of the mistakes that were made in the past (cap mistakes, contract mistakes,etc) and trying to move forward. I hope Favre moves forward with the Packers, but like you said, time is of the essence as far as his career is concerned.

If you want TT(or management of any team) to do things differently than normal because ONE player might not be around very long, then you have repeated the Sherman cycle.

It's the Green Bay Packers, not the Green Bay Favres

(also, if this was another variation of the sherman vs. TT debate, it should be moved to the appropriate thread. )

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

BoydAvery said:

The last time I heard that phrase it was "give Sherman time." Sherman did get time, 3 years too many.

Anyone who claims to know so much about football and who credits themselves to be a column writer, should have gotten a "tip off" about Sherman's incompetence after the Packers got lambastered in St. Louis 45-17 in the 2001 Division Playoff game.

Right then and there it was common knowledge that the Packers could not compete with the best teams in the NFC, let alone the NFL. Concern should have set in for the most casual of Packer fans.

The "tip off" was confirmed the very next season with 3 key games, that is if anyone was paying attention.

Wk 12 @ Tampa Bay: The winner would have sole possession of the NFC lead. With over 4 minutes before half-time Sherman decides to run the clock out with a HOF QB at the helm. Tampa Bay gets the ball back and puts a field goal up before the half. The rest is history.

wk 17 @ Jets: HFA at stake. Jets win 42-17

Wildcard game @ Lambeau: Falcons win 27-7. 1st playoff loss @ Lambeau in Packer playoff history.

Sherman should have been fired right then and there. It turned out to be 6 wasted years for Brett Favre's career and the entire Packer organization.

Now we are seeing some concerns with TT. Did anyone learn from the Mike Sherman farce? Let's not wait another 6 years before doing something about it, or it might be another 28 years between Super Bowls.

Yea...I remember you coming here calling for Sherman's head after that St.Louis game :roll:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Geez boyd.....give it a rest already.
Yes, we KNOW you hate TT. We get the point.
Now......do you have anything of substance to bring to this board?
(Other then "TT hate" threads?)

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

cheesey said:
Geez boyd.....give it a rest already.
Yes, we KNOW you hate TT. We get the point.
Now......do you have anything of substance to bring to this board?
(Other then "TT hate" threads?)

Even I agree. I don't like all his moves or nonmoves and I don't mind debating them but damn he HAS done some good things here.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The GB Packers already squandered the last 5 years of Favres tenure. We had so little to fix but could not do it. Now we have tons to fix and unfortunately Favre will not see another SB, while playing in it, before he retires. All we can do is support our team and watch for improvement with this youth movement and TT's decisions. Is MM the answer? Is zone-blocking? Is Shottenheimer? Well we know the answer to that one at least!
At the end of the day all you can reall say is Go Pack Go.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts