David Bakhtiari

Will Green Bay and Bakhtiari (if healthy)figure out a way to work it out for 2024

• A) Green Bay will move on

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • B) Bakhtiari will refuse to deal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C) Moot point he can’t play

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • D) GB will suck up the cap hit and keep him

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • E) GB/DB work it out so he plays but reduces the cap hit

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
It was an exxagerated example. If Bakh feels he is nearing the end and has a desire to playout in GB and not face trying to come back from injury in another place altogether, the guy knows most teams are not going to be giving him a ton of guaranteed money at his age and given injury issues. You put 5 or even 10M guaranteed on an extension, especially if you add a couple small void years, the cap saving can nearly be identical, you avoid injury settlement BS, Bakh stays where he wants with a chance if healthy of playing...and if not the cost and risk was very small, but massive up swing.

I see that or a messy injury settlement issue coming personally. One or the other.
That’s what I’m talking about. I think one avenue is bargaining away the risk. $5.5mil more guaranteed with an opportunity to make another $5Mil in per game incentives etc. I think he’d go for that. It reduces our max exposure of $40mil by paying him $5.5. Also, if not mistaken, an injury settlement could accelerate $40mil on this years cap.

No we don’t need to be afraid. But we do need to be smart and proactive and handle him fairly. Restructuring might allow us to pay him what we owe him plus a couple Million. Then have 1 void year for a plausible few million in 2025. If it’s more than $3-5mil in 2025 it’s because he played most of the 2024 season. Is that worth $10mil? Yes
If we do that? I’m in agreement that David seems like a stand up guy from what I’ve seen. I don’t think he’s wanting to cause problems I really don’t.

The other option is work with him on an amicable trade scenario by sending that future $$ to NY and cutting our losses.

Last edited:

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You were basically questioning whether Bak was doing all he could to return to the field. None of us know. I for one will give him the benefit of a doubt. It has to suck to want to play and your body doesn't cooperate.
Especially when you love the game as much as he does, and you're in your thirties and only have a couple of years left to play. And here you are, sitting three of those years out watching your team play on television.

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. Tick...

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But, some (not directed at you or anyone specifically) have to understand, he may actually save more money due to the injury **** by extending him. That injury issue with DB is a massive kink to this. They cannot just cut him unless they know Bakh and his camp have no intent to litigate an injury settlement which has a formula kinda set.
Wouldn't the injury settlement come down to whether the doctors give him a failing diagnosis? If so, I would think that if he fails, the settlement would be small. He would at that point be unable to play out the final year of his contract. If he passes the physical, the Packers could just cut him and call him a cap casualty. Bak can claim that being cut is due more to his health than cap considerations and get into a legal fight but good luck arguing your massive cap hit shouldn't be grounds for becoming a cap casualty. I think Bak is holding fewer cards in this upcoming fight than most people think he has.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't the injury settlement come down to whether the doctors give him a failing diagnosis? If so, I would think that if he fails, the settlement would be small. He would at that point be unable to play out the final year of his contract. If he passes the physical, the Packers could just cut him and call him a cap casualty. Bak can claim that being cut is due more to his health than cap considerations and get into a legal fight but good luck arguing your massive cap hit shouldn't be grounds for becoming a cap casualty. I think Bak is holding fewer cards in this upcoming fight than most people think he has.

The doctors gave him a clean bill of health after last season...He suited up, played one game, and was done for the year. I don't think we can really fault the doctors for that, but it does show that being cleared to play is really no indicator that your body is up to task of playing an entire season, or anywhere close to it. For offensive linemen especially, at a certain point their bodies just give out.

In the past Green Bay has quickly moved on from Josh Sitton, Bryan Bulaga, TJ Lang and others when many still thought they had something in the tank. Turns out they were all on borrowed time. With Bak, because he was such a good player, they gambled...and, apparently, lost.

I can't imagine he has much trade value at this point, and his cap hit is significant. I hate to say it, but I think he'll be cut for the cap room. Rasheed Walker appears to have won that job anyway.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, depending on what happens, they may not be able to cut him. At least not without an injury settlement, which could be same as his 2024 salary and roster bonus anyway.
I don't think an injury settlement would be anywhere near that high. If he fails his physical, he won't have much leverage and if he passes, Gute can simply cut him and call it a cap casualty like so many other players in the NFL. Perhaps Bak could claim he would need more time to pass his physical if he fails but after 5 knee operations, that argument is weak. He's had plenty of time to heal in the past, and it never really seemed to help him recover.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think an injury settlement would be anywhere near that high. If he fails his physical, he won't have much leverage and if he passes, Gute can simply cut him and call it a cap casualty like so many other players in the NFL. Perhaps Bak could claim he would need more time to pass his physical if he fails but after 5 knee operations, that argument is weak. He's had plenty of time to heal in the past, and it never really seemed to help him recover.
Sure it would. His settlement is based on his salary. If he needs the whole year to recover, he gets his whole salary. The roster bonus is tricker. I’ve not seen a situation like this. Not entirely sure how it plays out to be honest.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, depending on what happens, they may not be able to cut him. At least not without an injury settlement, which could be same as his 2024 salary and roster bonus anyway.

Those things have a way of working out.

There will be a bunch of dead money if Bahk is cut...His cap hit is even bigger if he is retained, however. That. along with his unavailability and Rasheed Walker's ascendence are probably enough to get him either cut, or if Green Bay is very lucky, traded for a low conditional draft pick.

Just my guess...Time will tell.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those things have a way of working out.

There will be a bunch of dead money if Bahk is cut...His cap hit is even bigger if he is retained, however. That. along with his unavailability and Rasheed Walker's ascendence are probably enough to get him either cut, or if Green Bay is very lucky, traded for a low conditional draft pick.

Just my guess...Time will tell.

Short of a team waiving injury and need for passing physical I don't see a trade as in the realm of possibility sadly.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
In theory, they have to do something to make sense to the player. He's due ~20M this year. Just spreading that hit out over 2 years might be enough.

If you can live with 30 this year, turn his roster bonus + base salary into a signing bonus. Add one year. 10M hit this year, 10M in 2025.
I've said similar to this all along. I'd do the SB of this years salary & RB with minimal salary, next year 10-12m with it guaranted on a prorated basis if he plays 50-75% of snaps this season and a third year structured about the same with a RB. 2026 is when 2022 draft picks will want to be paid. Watson, Doubs, Rhyan, Tom, Walker and company. (I found and like this page)

OP
OP
AKCheese

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he passes a physical (which he won’t be able to prior to the bonus deadline) - then GB can cut him and save $20M. If they want to cut him prior to 1 March and not pay him the roster bonus I think they’ll be on the hook for an injury settlement up to his 2024 salary ($10M more). However much is agreed to as an injury settlement requires him to sit out that many games of the 2024 season. There no way you can try to equate his knee injury with any other knee injury each one is unique with multiple ligaments cartilage muscles etc involved to one degree or another PLUS each athlete (in this case a super sized freak human specimen) puts different forces on each of the above based on his unique construction and the way his body reacts.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
An Injury Settlement is usually based on the amount of time that the team and player agree the player will be unable to play. So, for example, if the player is only expected to miss the first month of the season, the team and player will usually agree to a settlement of 4/17ths of the player's scheduled base salary.

Reaction score
Some credible rumors of an attempt at a Jets trade with Bak involved. I don’t know how close the either side is, but imo the talks are happening.

I’d like to see us do a player trade if at all possibie. Even if it involved GB parting with a draft pick for a player that is a known quantity and assumed starter.

Reaction score
I am slightly skeptical just due to his strong opinions about playing on turf. A minimum of 8 games doesn’t sound like his cup of tea.
That’s a good point. Although imo at this point of his career it’s a minimal factor when considering the full list of positives and negatives.
If Bak gets paired with Aaron that’s a key component in his decision to accomodate the trade. Imo Those two would immediately pick up where they left off and this would substantially aid Aaron, even if he played 8 games or 10 games etc.not to mention Aaron would reciprocally make Bak look good.
Baks contract $$ would be a key component. He needs a home and getting 1 more opportunity to see if he can stay on the field and still continue to play spells not being too picky.
Imo, while turf might not be preferable, that isn’t what’s causing Bakhtiari injuries. It might not help in recovery though but his knee would have problems if he played on a sponge with braces on.

Last edited:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some credible rumors of an attempt at a Jets trade with Bak involved. I don’t know how close the either side is, but imo the talks are happening.

I’d like to see us do a player trade if at all possibie. Even if it involved GB parting with a draft pick for a player that is a known quantity and assumed starter.

Who on the Jets would fit that bill?

OP
OP
AKCheese

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont see anyone giving us ANYthing for DB - then again - Ted Thompson burned a first round pick on a DT who missed virtually his entire senior year and the combine - with a bad back. SMH

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont see anyone giving us ANYthing for DB - then again - Ted Thompson burned a first round pick on a DT who missed virtually his entire senior year and the combine - with a bad back. SMH

I’d say it’s been long enough cheese lol don’t live in the past that far.

Reaction score
Who on the Jets would fit that bill?
Idk. It could be just a small deal such as swapping Day3 picks. Really anything we get is a plus. Quite honestly if you told me the Jets acquired Bak and we swapped a later Day 3 draft selection (Their #186 for our #242) I’d be content. I’d keep it simple and screw all the qualifiers just let the guy play somewhere (in the AFC preferable).

It might just come down to risk. If we feel like we can get some legitimate playing time from him in 2024 that is substantial? We’re already on the hook for $19.5 regardless, maybe he’s worth that slight uptick in annual along with a few bonus’ for production.
Also one benefit to a restructure is we can spread the Cap across more than 2024, so there is a slight fiscal maneuvering that helps us budget his cap hit and every possible way we can slide or shuffle assets some Call it applying the time value of our assets

Last edited:

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Idk. It could be just a small deal such as swapping Day3 picks. Really anything we get is a plus. Quite honestly if you told me the Jets acquired Bak and we swapped a later Day 3 draft selection (Their #186 for our #242) I’d be content. I’d keep it simple and screw all the qualifiers just let the guy play somewhere (in the AFC preferable).

That's the equivalent of a mid-late 6th round pick. Better than nothing

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Torn bicep tendon

The back injury was blamed on a strength and conditioning coach, who got fired the off season following Harrell’s back injury.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It might just come down to risk. If we feel like we can get some legitimate playing time from him in 2024 that is substantial? We’re already on the hook for $19.5 regardless, maybe he’s worth that slight uptick in annual along with a few bonus’ for production.
Also one benefit to a restructure is we can spread the Cap across more than 2024, so there is a slight fiscal maneuvering that helps us budget his cap hit and every possible way we can slide or shuffle assets some Call it applying the time value of our assets

I was referring to the part of your comment about trading for a player even if it ment we gave the Jets a pick along with bakh...Jermaine Johnson?

Looking at their roster I dont see many players Id want to trade for other than the obvious, sauce gardener, breece hall, garrett wilson and they definitely not trading any of those 3

Jermaine Johnson was mentioned as a possibility in the Rodgers trade but I have my doubts that they would be willing to trade him either. As he's an ascending young edge player who finished with 7.5 sacks this past season, his 2nd in the league

Ultimately I dont see anyone trading for a player they know is going to be cut and isn't going to be highly coveted once he is released. I also dont see the Packers extending said player. The only way I could see him being a Packer in 2024 is if he's released and then resigned for the veteran minimum. And I dont see that happening...

The bottom line is the Packers need that 21 million in cap savings far more than they need the possibility of Bakh being healthy enough to be a significant contributor to a SB run

Dont get me wrong Id love for him to be a part of the team I just dont see much chance it happens. Im 99% sure this is it with 1% he's back on the cheap becas thats what Im hoping for as a fan

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
the Packers need that 21 million in cap savings
I see only the roster bonus as a cap savings as the injury settlement will take a good chunk of this years salary. Still $9.5m is better than nothing. From my office chair with no real data, I personally would gamble on his return for a season or two and give him a short 2-3yr, no guarantees beyond a signing bonus, heavily incentivized for playing time extension.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Torn bicep tendon

The back injury was blamed on a strength and conditioning coach, who got fired the off season following Harrell’s back injury.
As bad as that was, it pales in comparison of bypassing the chance at the end of the first round to pick TJ Watt and ending up in that draft with Kevin King. Watt fell to the Packers and the gift was kicked to the curb. Do you really think the Packers lose the NFCCG to the Bucs if we have Watt terrorizing Brady? While the Justin Harrell pick was a fiasco, it didn't cost the team a Super Bowl trophy. I would argue bypassing TJ Watt did just that. In fact, with Watt, the chances of back-to-back Super Bowls in 2020 and 2021 are a very real possibility. I know it's history, but those chances don't come around that often. Kevin King is out of the league while Watt continues to be a HOF caliber player. Wow, I sure hope Love's career isn't squandered with such boneheaded moves, although I don't think TT should be blamed for it. At the time it appeared he was suffering from the illness that cost him his life. Murphy needed to step in but didn't. It's easy for me to castigate MM on my couch, but TT was by many accounts very well liked and respected so ousting him over an illness was an extremely gut wrenching decision to contemplate.