David Bakhtiari

Will Green Bay and Bakhtiari (if healthy)figure out a way to work it out for 2024

• A) Green Bay will move on

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • B) Bakhtiari will refuse to deal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C) Moot point he can’t play

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • D) GB will suck up the cap hit and keep him

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • E) GB/DB work it out so he plays but reduces the cap hit

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ll repeat myself but - if he’s injured and not able to play/pass a physcal they may be liable for his entire salary - but maybe not the roster bonus(?). Lets say they decide prior to March first they’re going to move on. Fine they save $20 Mil. But if he says whoa whoa whoa I’m injured - he has to pass a physical before he can be released or more accurately the Packers are released from owing him his 2024 salary. If he’s out the whole year they owe him his entire salary. Lets say he’s ready to go week 3. Green Bay then can release him and he can sign elsewhere. I think that can be negotiated. So when you hear a guys been released with an injury settlement it means the team paid his salary through when he’s expected to be recovered. Now - if Bakh just says “I retire” (hard to imagine him waving goodbye without collecting the bonus(es) and at least part of his salary.
Hard for Bakhtiari to say "I think I'll be out the whole year so pay my entire salary" when he's publicly stated he thinks he'll be ready for training camp '24. He & his surgeon know if he's fixed or not, shouldn't be much gray area left so Gute should order a physical to verify structural integrity. If it appears good they can release him & then he can decide to retire or sign elsewhere. He's passed numerous physicals since surgery #1, no reason he won't pass another.

OP
OP
AKCheese

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact that he’s passed physicals in the past has no bearing in him being able to pass a physical now after his most recent surgery or this spring/summer/fall. It won’t come down to what Bakh SAYS - it will come down to the medical opinions of doctors. I just don’t know if they HAVE to / WANT to pay the $9.5M roster bonus on March 1st to see how he’s doing in July?? I think releasing him would save the $9.5M and at least a portion of his $10M salary. I dont see any way in god’s green earth another team assumes his salary much less gives us any trade capital for him at this point

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact that he’s passed physicals in the past has no bearing in him being able to pass a physical now after his most recent surgery or this spring/summer/fall.
He needs a new surgeon if after each surgery he's getting worse. ;) Every operation after the first was (supposedly) to correct a problem from the previous one. If he medically cleared after #'s1-4 he should be even better after #5...therefore he should be medically cleared.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with your math is you're looking at cash outlay vs. cap accounting.

You cannot look at the 20M (well, 19m and change) as being part of his salary for this year. You end up spiraling and making a poor argument. You can debate if the contract was good or not at the time it was signed, but the 20M isn't for this year. It was the money he got on day 1, year 1 before the ink was even dry PLUS a restructure. (I can't find his original contract, only the one in its current state with the current cap).

You could argue that letting him leave while taking the 20M dead cap is wasteful, but we're getting close to sunk cost fallacy territory now.

His actual salary, the money he is entitled to this year and what we stand to save if he's gone is a 9.5M roster bonus (March 1st), 10.7M salary, and a 700k workout bonus. That's roughly 20M of new cash.

We'll know the decision by the 1st. If they plan to move on from him, they won't pay it. That's the whole point of a big roster bonus like this. Either he's worth it and they extend him to avoid paying it or you have your drop-dead date. Maybe they (both sides) agree to push back the date to facilitate a trade.
True it is. I should of made a better distinction between his cap hit and salary. I would think his cap hit is going to influence Gute's decision more than anything else. A lot of players get cut solely due to to cap considerations. They're the typical cap casualties. I don't see a scenario where Bak stays on the roster in 2024 due to the massive cap hit unless he's cut, no other team wants him and he comes back on a cheap deal. That's extremely doubtful.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bakh won't be back. He's going to end up cut. It's time to move on. It's too bad his days in GB ended like they have. He was a darned good player.

This is my opinion, based on the fact that they need to solidify that spot on the line, and having him available part time isn't the answer.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True it is. I should of made a better distinction between his cap hit and salary. I would think his cap hit is going to influence Gute's decision more than anything else. A lot of players get cut solely due to to cap considerations. They're the typical cap casualties. I don't see a scenario where Bak stays on the roster in 2024 due to the massive cap hit unless he's cut, no other team wants him and he comes back on a cheap deal. That's extremely doubtful.

You're not wrong, but the 19 and change is there and gone no matter what, so you (and Gute) need to ignore it.

I don't think Bhak should be back on his current 2024 contract. Too much unknown for the roster bonus and too much cap hit/money. I would be willing to extend him, offer incentives, etc, to give him a chance to earn up to the 20M he is scheduled to make in 2024, but that assumes he can pass a physical.

I don't know how amenable he'd be to such an adjustment. Or what extra he'd want in exchange, but he seems to legitimately like GB. And based on his comments, I doubt he want to go to NY due to their turf.

OP
OP
AKCheese

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He needs a new surgeon if after each surgery he's getting worse. ;) Every operation after the first was (supposedly) to correct a problem from the previous one. If he medically cleared after #'s1-4 he should be even better after #5...therefore he should be medically cleared.
And actually s-1 was supposed to fix the problem ditto S-2,3,4 and now 5. He was not physically capable to play when he underwent S-5. This surgery will (hopefully) make him better. Will it make him capable of continuing an NFL career? No guarantee there.

OP
OP
AKCheese

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're not wrong, but the 19 and change is there and gone no matter what, so you (and Gute) need to ignore it.

I don't think Bhak should be back on his current 2024 contract. Too much unknown for the roster bonus and too much cap hit/money. I would be willing to extend him, offer incentives, etc, to give him a chance to earn up to the 20M he is scheduled to make in 2024, but that assumes he can pass a physical.

I don't know how amenable he'd be to such an adjustment. Or what extra he'd want in exchange, but he seems to legitimately like GB. And based on his comments, I doubt he want to go to NY due to their turf.
He’s not going to sign an extension unless there’s new/more money. Why would he sign a 2 year $20M deal when he has a 1 year (remaining) $20M deal. I don’t know if they can give him/ he can pass a physical prior to the 1 March crunch date. I’ve seen players released “in season” on injury settlements, but it could be trickier if GB releases him prior to 1 March when it will probably be very unclear if/when he will be medically able to play in 2024.

Reaction score
The DB situation isn't as clean cut as it normally is for a person in his position and the team...his injury is a MASSIVE piece to it....cutting may get VERY messy due to injury settlement and such....trading him is massively messy too as a team no doubt would have to waive any risk of not passing a physical.....

Truthfully the injury issue is why I honestly think a reworked deal happens, he showcases whether he is healthy or not and then the team cuts or trades him.
Exactly. Bak’s situation isn’t black n white. It’s precarious or they would’ve already moved on from him. If David filed an injury grievance for any myriad of reasons and he just happens to win the leagues favor? he’d accelerate $40Mil onto our cap. Not to mention we’d have little chance of him playing whatsoever because he’d be arguing his injury is prohibitive.

My primary hope is he wants to play, passes a physical, plus can contribute. Possibly structuring him with an emphasis on activity each game? Idk. My thought was lowering his contract to a more reasonable $25mil guaranteed X 2yr (yes I understand it’s eating -$5.5mil risk off current sunk)
Sign him to a 2yr $50mil type deal with $25mil guaranteed. Let’s face it he’s guaranteed between $19.5 and $40mil depending on how it shakes out. Yes. Worse case we’d lose $5mil off current… best case you get him back regular and pay him another $5.5Mil with a few per game incentives.
It’s much better than $40mil for zero contribution plus a bunch of bad publicity. Plus if he plays? He becomes tradable in 2025 or option to cut him at little to no dead $$.

That 2 yr deal allows us to spread his $25mil. $20mil now and $5mil next year etc. it’s really similar to that Rodgers 1+2+1. But it’s a straight 1+1. This addresses yiur Injury settlement with a -$5.5 buy out

Also sorry I was unpleasant earlier. My 85yr Old Dad face planted into tile and was Code1, same time I learned My Employer was bought out by a competitor. Luckily I still have a job. :eek:

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly. Bak’s situation isn’t black n white. It’s precarious or they would’ve already moved on from him. If David filed an injury grievance for any myriad of reasons and he just happens to win the leagues favor? he’d accelerate $40Mil onto our cap. Not to mention we’d have little chance of him playing whatsoever because he’d be arguing his injury is prohibitive.

My primary hope is he wants to play, passes a physical, plus can contribute. Possibly structuring him with an emphasis on activity each game? Idk. My thought was lowering his contract to a more reasonable $25mil guaranteed X 2yr (yes I understand it’s eating -$5.5mil risk off current sunk)
Sign him to a 2yr $50mil type deal with $25mil guaranteed. Let’s face it he’s guaranteed between $19.5 and $40mil depending on how it shakes out. Yes. Worse case we’d lose $5mil off current… best case you get him back regular and pay him another $5.5Mil with a few per game incentives.
It’s much better than $40mil for zero contribution plus a bunch of bad publicity. Plus if he plays? He becomes tradable in 2025 or option to cut him at little to no dead $$.

That 2 yr deal allows us to spread his $25mil. $20mil now and $5mil next year etc. it’s really similar to that Rodgers 1+2+1. But it’s a straight 1+1. This addresses yiur Injury settlement with a -$5.5 buy out

Also sorry I was unpleasant earlier. My 85yr Old Dad face planted into tile and was Code1, same time I learned My Employer was bought out by a competitor. Luckily I still have a job. :eek:

No worries man, no offense was taken

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He’s not going to sign an extension unless there’s new/more money. Why would he sign a 2 year $20M deal when he has a 1 year (remaining) $20M deal. I don’t know if they can give him/ he can pass a physical prior to the 1 March crunch date. I’ve seen players released “in season” on injury settlements, but it could be trickier if GB releases him prior to 1 March when it will probably be very unclear if/when he will be medically able to play in 2024.
I completely understand that a new contract has new money. It’s why I presume whatever incentives would give him a chance to make the 20m he’s scheduled to make in 2024.

I’m not saying this would be easy. I’m not saying it’s even likely. I want to keep our options available for as long as possible AND not make a snap judgement.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is March 1st a "crunch date"? They can cut him post June 1 and it would be the exact same cap hit as it is right now.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is March 1st a "crunch date"? They can cut him post June 1 and it would be the exact same cap hit as it is right now.

He has a roster bonus due on March 1st. ~9.5 million. If they're going to keep him, they pay it. If they are going to move on, they won't, but when they don't the contract immediately voids.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has a roster bonus due on March 1st. ~9.5 million. If they're going to keep him, they pay it. If they are going to move on, they won't, but when they don't the contract immediately voids.
According to Overthecap, he only had roster bonuses in 21, 22, and 23 on the 3rd day of the league year. Doesn't look like that's the case in 24.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gutey did he was further away from returning than they were hoping..or something like that. I would hate to see him go. If he can comeback, would like him back on a more cap friendly deal though.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gutey did he was further away from returning than they were hoping..or something like that. I would hate to see him go. If he can comeback, would like him back on a more cap friendly deal though.

Only way to make it more cap friendly really is to give him more money. I have no idea why they would do that. That might just be throwing money out the window. The last 3 years has been bad luck so, don't do something based on hopes and dreams. I just don't see him taking a pay cut on his existing contract to stay unless he thinks that that is the best way to prove that he is healthy for a FA contract in 2025 or the amount of money the Packers would give him with a pay cut is > than anything else he might get.

I get the sense that in how injury/injury settlements work in the NFL it is best that the Packers act sooner than later.

My gut tells me that if he is cut, going to be ugly from a injury claim standpoint.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Overthecap, he only had roster bonuses in 21, 22, and 23 on the 3rd day of the league year. Doesn't look like that's the case in 24.

According to this one, he has one more round coming. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/david-bakhtiari-12390/

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remind me to be thankful you’re not MY family when I’m ready to go :giggle::p
I never had the same feelings you guys had about Bak. He's more Rodger's family than Green Bay family. imho But I certainly don't know. Does he live in GB? And not to denigrate Rodgers. He is Green Bay family in his own way. Again imho. I never wanted that big a contract going to Bak. I just never thought he was a very good run blocker.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, yours shows the exact same as the one I copied from Overthecap. Only the 21, 22, and 23 roster bonuses were due mid March. The 24 roster bonus isn't an early one like those other 3.

It actually doesn't say when the roster bonus is due. Can you find anything one way or the other?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact that he’s passed physicals in the past has no bearing in him being able to pass a physical now after his most recent surgery or this spring/summer/fall. It won’t come down to what Bakh SAYS - it will come down to the medical opinions of doctors. I just don’t know if they HAVE to / WANT to pay the $9.5M roster bonus on March 1st to see how he’s doing in July?? I think releasing him would save the $9.5M and at least a portion of his $10M salary. I dont see any way in god’s green earth another team assumes his salary much less gives us any trade capital for him at this point
He could feel great come July. But by September the same thing happens. After that many surgeries the life expectancy of a football player gets shorter and shorter. Some day even after football he may find himself in that geriatric state of knee replacement.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts