David Bakhtiari

Will Green Bay and Bakhtiari (if healthy)figure out a way to work it out for 2024

• A) Green Bay will move on

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • B) Bakhtiari will refuse to deal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C) Moot point he can’t play

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • D) GB will suck up the cap hit and keep him

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • E) GB/DB work it out so he plays but reduces the cap hit

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It actually doesn't say when the roster bonus is due. Can you find anything one way or the other?

Unless noted like the other years beneath on Spotrac, typically it is a normal timed roster bonus

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot are June 1st

I suppose. I’m used to most of these being “first day of the league year,” particularly when they are in the last year of the deal. It’s a deadline to force a decision.

Whenever the bonus is due to pay is still the drop-dead date.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suppose. I’m used to most of these being “first day of the league year,” particularly when they are in the last year of the deal. It’s a deadline to force a decision.

Whenever the bonus is due to pay is still the drop-dead date.
Nine out of ten it is league year or June 1st.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regardless of when, Gute needs to move on & stop wasting $$ in this beginning stage of SB-window.

But, some (not directed at you or anyone specifically) have to understand, he may actually save more money due to the injury **** by extending him. That injury issue with DB is a massive kink to this. They cannot just cut him unless they know Bakh and his camp have no intent to litigate an injury settlement which has a formula kinda set.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But, some (not directed at you or anyone specifically) have to understand, he may actually save more money due to the injury **** by extending him. That injury issue with DB is a massive kink to this. They cannot just cut him unless they know Bakh and his camp have no intent to litigate an injury settlement which has a formula kinda set.
I don't want DB to hold all of the cards. He's already "earned" about $1mil/snap played on this albatross deal. Sickens me to consider giving him MORE $$ in hopes that he plays or doesn't file a grievance. Fuq him, let him attempt his "comeback" with somebody else.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want DB to hold all of the cards. He's already "earned" about $1mil/snap played on this albatross deal. Sickens me to consider giving him MORE $$ in hopes that he plays or doesn't file a grievance. Fuq him, let him attempt his "comeback" with somebody else.

You act like this is something he has done intentionally?? Dude has tried to comeback on half a leg multiple times for us. Even this past year hobbled through one of the highest graded games by a Packer offensive lineman week one and gave us this glorious signal to all Chicago.

Want him gone, absolutely. I’m right their with you from a fiscal stance if it were clean…but it isn’t.

Attachments

• IMG_0931.jpeg
    IMG_0931.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 16

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You act like this is something he has done intentionally?? Dude has tried to comeback on half a leg multiple times for us. Even this past year hobbled through one of the highest graded games by a Packer offensive lineman week one and gave us this glorious signal to all Chicago.

Want him gone, absolutely. I’m right their with you from a fiscal stance if it were clean…but it isn’t.
Not retiring if his knee is toast is intentional. Using a possible grievance as a "bargaining chip" is intentional. If his intent is to truly play again he should sign-off on his medical status so GB can release him & he can sign with any team he desires. Any re-injury during rehab is his golden ticket for at least another $10mil (base salary)...the GB free ride needs to end.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not retiring if his knee is toast is intentional. Using a possible grievance as a "bargaining chip" is intentional. If his intent is to truly play again he should sign-off on his medical status so GB can release him & he can sign with any team he desires. Any re-injury during rehab is his golden ticket for at least another $10mil (base salary)...the GB free ride needs to end.

Injury settlements are many feel formula driven and Bakh to an extent has hands tied. He waves that entirely it can be used against future players unwilling to…I personally suspect Bakh will work with GB actually.

OP
OP
AKCheese

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey I hate that GB has had to squander $ on a guy who can’t play, but it’s not DB’s fault. He got hurt ON THE JOB. He’s not milking anything honoring his contract or by expecting his employer to do the same. GB can’t cut him until he’s healthy without going through the injury waiver settlement process. I don’t think it’s a matter of DB filing s grievance. Now, if DB decides he never wants to try to play again he can retire and maybe the issue goes away. I don’t understand why DB becomes a bad guy in some people’s eyes for abiding by the contract any more than GB would be a “bad guy” for insisting other contracts be honored. I mean, if you got injured, on the job, and your employer legally/contratually owed you money because of that - would you really say - nah, no thanks? GB offered DB that contract so that he wouldnt go play somewhere else. Once he signs the contract and he gets injured working for you, you can’t say “ok we want to back out of the deal we made”

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey I hate that GB has had to squander $ on a guy who can’t play, but it’s not DB’s fault. He got hurt ON THE JOB. He’s not milking anything honoring his contract or by expecting his employer to do the same. GB can’t cut him until he’s healthy without going through the injury waiver settlement process. I don’t think it’s a matter of DB filing s grievance. Now, if DB decides he never wants to try to play again he can retire and maybe the issue goes away. I don’t understand why DB becomes a bad guy in some people’s eyes for abiding by the contract any more than GB would be a “bad guy” for insisting other contracts be honored. I mean, if you got injured, on the job, and your employer legally/contratually owed you money because of that - would you really say - nah, no thanks? GB offered DB that contract so that he wouldnt go play somewhere else. Once he signs the contract and he gets injured working for you, you can’t say “ok we want to back out of the deal we made”

Absolutely agree, not to mention dude has still when out there last two seasons been our best OL on half a leg.

Imagine how scary good things could have been had he stayed healthy.

I for one would love nothing more than DB and GB to announce a rework contract, literally changes hardly nothing but adds a year, cuz nothing is free gives him like $2M more in his pocket and we still save the $20M or about. He heals awesome he doesn’t we literally fiscally are almost identical to if we could clean cut him - which cuz of injury we cannot.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't think we can know about Bak. I got the impression that Rashon Gary worked his butt off to get back on the field. I don't know about Bak. Did he do everything the doc told him he had to do? I see him spinning on the bike every once in awhile but that certainly wasn't enough.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't think we can know about Bak. I got the impression that Rashon Gary worked his butt off to get back on the field. I don't know about Bak. Did he do everything the doc told him he had to do? I see him spinning on the bike every once in awhile but that certainly wasn't enough.

How do you know Gary worked his butt off any harder or not than Bakh? Just because he came back and succeeded?

Bakh has been quite open about the extensive attempts both from a medical and a PT perspective to get back on the field. Fluid is fluid and what sucks is no amount of things he can do will change if his body is saying fill with fluid at the knee.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look, we all know if you could cut DB it saves us essentially $20M....

If you sit with his camp and change his contract to a base salary of like $2.5M this year rather than his $20.2M base scheduled. This take his 2024 hit from $40M to $22.8M saving us about $18M. Put his base next year to be $22M with a non prorated bonus of like $2M (gotta pay him something to do such a rework)....

This saves you nearly the exact same as it would IF you could cut him...and IF on a whim his health comes around as he has been fighting to do happens.

Now if Bakh says no injury settlement claim will be filed if Packers cut him and he gets it - then I think you just pull the bandage and do it...but I think if that is Bakh's position he very well would be open to a contract rework anyways unless he truly does want to go elsewhere <-- which for the record I don't think he does.

I think folks have to listen again to him breakdown it all as well...this man literally has tried things that he thought may even pop in a pee test potentially given the weird nature of it.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do you know Gary worked his butt off any harder or not than Bakh? Just because he came back and succeeded?

Bakh has been quite open about the extensive attempts both from a medical and a PT perspective to get back on the field. Fluid is fluid and what sucks is no amount of things he can do will change if his body is saying fill with fluid at the knee.
I did not claim to know anything about either. I said impression about Gary and only said I don't know about Bak.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look, we all know if you could cut DB it saves us essentially $20M....

If you sit with his camp and change his contract to a base salary of like $2.5M this year rather than his $20.2M base scheduled. This take his 2024 hit from $40M to $22.8M saving us about $18M. Put his base next year to be $22M with a non prorated bonus of like $2M (gotta pay him something to do such a rework)....

Maybe I'm not following your logic 100%, but the base of 20M is base and roster bonus, so there is no way in this world that I see him going from 20M to 2.5M just for a few million next year. I'm DB or his agent and the Packers present that, I laugh.

Only way I see DB sticking around and having a significantly less cap hit for 2024 is to give him even more money in the future or he rips up that contract and they find a way to spread the extra remaining 20M over a few years without adding future obligations. Tear up the contract, give him a base of 5M, bonus of 15M and some straight base in 2025, 2026, but everyone knows it probably is a 1 year contract so the extra 20M cap hit this year is like $7M 2024, post June 1 2025 7M and 2026 7M...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe I'm not following your logic 100%, but the base of 20M is base and roster bonus, so there is no way in this world that I see him going from 20M to 2.5M just for a few million next year. I'm DB or his agent and the Packers present that, I laugh.

Only way I see DB sticking around and having a significantly less cap hit for 2024 is to give him even more money in the future or he rips up that contract and they find a way to spread the extra remaining 20M over a few years without adding future obligations. Tear up the contract, give him a base of 5M, bonus of 15M and some straight base in 2025, 2026, but everyone knows it probably is a 1 year contract so the extra 20M cap hit this year is like $7M 2024, post June 1 2025 7M and 2026 7M...

It was an exxagerated example. If Bakh feels he is nearing the end and has a desire to playout in GB and not face trying to come back from injury in another place altogether, the guy knows most teams are not going to be giving him a ton of guaranteed money at his age and given injury issues. You put 5 or even 10M guaranteed on an extension, especially if you add a couple small void years, the cap saving can nearly be identical, you avoid injury settlement BS, Bakh stays where he wants with a chance if healthy of playing...and if not the cost and risk was very small, but massive up swing.

I see that or a messy injury settlement issue coming personally. One or the other.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was an exxagerated example. If Bakh feels he is nearing the end and has a desire to playout in GB and not face trying to come back from injury in another place altogether, the guy knows most teams are not going to be giving him a ton of guaranteed money at his age and given injury issues.

I see that or a messy injury settlement issue coming personally. One or the other.

Generally don't disagree. I could see a path where he is back this year if the cap # is around $30M with limited hit in 2025. I just don't think it will be as drastic as dropping to $22M unless the remaining $18M was kicked out to further years.

Whatever they do I just really hope there are very limited hits for DB past 2024. If there is some $5-7M hit in 2025 ok.... but if they are in 2025 with another $20M hit because of bonuses on the book for him because of restructuring prior to 2024 season, I think that would be negligent on the Packers part.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Generally don't disagree. I could see a path where he is back this year if the cap # is around $30M with limited hit in 2025. I just don't think it will be as drastic as dropping to $22M unless the remaining $18M was kicked out to further years.

Whatever they do I just really hope there are very limited hits for DB past 2024. If there is some $5-7M hit in 2025 ok.... but if they are in 2025 with another $20M hit because of bonuses on the book for him because of restructuring prior to 2024 season, I think that would be negligent on the Packers part.

In theory, they have to do something to make sense to the player. He's due ~20M this year. Just spreading that hit out over 2 years might be enough.

If you can live with 30 this year, turn his roster bonus + base salary into a signing bonus. Add one year. 10M hit this year, 10M in 2025.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In theory, they have to do something to make sense to the player. He's due ~20M this year. Just spreading that hit out over 2 years might be enough.

If you can live with 30 this year, turn his roster bonus + base salary into a signing bonus. Add one year. 10M hit this year, 10M in 2025.

Yup.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did not claim to know anything about either. I said impression about Gary and only said I don't know about Bak.
You were basically questioning whether Bak was doing all he could to return to the field. None of us know. I for one will give him the benefit of a doubt. It has to suck to want to play and your body doesn't cooperate.

Members online

Latest posts