David Bakhtiari - Offensive Tackle

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finally. For a minute there I was worried that this wasn't going to be Rodgers fault.
I actually think he could have had a lot to do with it in that if not for him; maybe Gute would not have considered it good value. But with ARod there; he had to keep him. imho

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL - Bakh was worth every bit of that contract, there is zero defense or argument at the time that one could take that the best LT in the league protecting your QB wasn't worth that much.

Now if you're just again big contracts for such players that is another thing and I can understand - but I'll never agree to even disagree that Bakh wasn't worth that much, numerous cases and points from other Tackle's contracts supported that figure was every bit right.

Now - we are on the exact same stance as to how it played out, any time you extend someone and an injury occurs it is just crazy bad...let alone one that lingers into MULTIPLE years. I was for just cutting ties last year, but we gotta definitely do so next year.

Rodgers' extension was dumb, because we all knew the relationship was ****....that one I'll never understand.
I have never understood how a so so run blocker could be considered the best tackle in the league. But really, as far as I'm concerned, it is water over the bridge. I hope nobody is entertaining the idea of keeping him on the team. Maybe for a locker room guy?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I have never understood how a so so run blocker could be considered the best tackle in the league. But really, as far as I'm concerned, it is water over the bridge. I hope nobody is entertaining the idea of keeping him on the team. Maybe for a locker room guy?
Do a three year extension if he's up for it. No SB, guarantee first year $5m plus $500k/game day active. If he gets 65% snaps, the next year becomes guaranteed. $10m next 2 years with a higher game day bonus.

Reaction score
Agreed, and it saves a draft pick. They can take a backup in later rounds and save rounds 1 and 2 to find a T.

RB is very thin this year. Likely a RB won't go until round 2, and that just goes with the NFL devaluing the position. Not sure what FA looks like, but a draft pick is preferable at RB IMO. Hopefully they can get another year out of Jones while grooming someone.
RB is more thin (to nilch) at the Top. I do like the idea of drafting 1 or 2 this season.
There’s a really good grouping to be had between Rounds 2-4 where we have 5-6 picks (6 selections IF we get a 4th comp). I almost can’t see a scenario where we wouldn’t draft one.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody is going to give the Packers a two-day old doughnut for Bakh next year. He's so damaged that he's on the list of guys who are high risk when it comes to health. He might get a "look-see" from several teams as a free agent, but even then, most would cringe at giving him much more than 1/10th what his present salary is. It's too bad, because he was a pretty solid LT. He had some real talent.

I see Jones as a casualty of cap and age/health as well. He's reached what seems to be the norm in the NFL where his value is expiring. It's no longer a league where RBs are as highly valued. The main reason - I believe - is because the game has become more pass intense.

Jenkins, if he's recovered enough to contribute, would be great to be able to retain. After last week's 72 snap performance, where he never missed a down, made me feel that he's on the road to recovery. He may even return to a level where he's nearly as good as he was, before the injuries. Maybe, just maybe, as good. We can hope.

Essentially, the draft and free agency will be addressing the rest of the line issues. There needs to be money for it, so it means sacrificing any chance of signing guys like Jones to a new contract. They shouldn't kick the can down the road any longer on cap money. They need to straighten it out, and make sound decisions for the next several years as they retool for winning.

The elephant in the room is a new contract for Love. That also needs to be addressed. How much are they going to put on the table, and how much is he going to demand? This could become a tipping point on how much they can do, to improve this team on offense, and shore up spots on the defense. At least we have some decent draft capital to work with.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody is going to give the Packers a two-day old doughnut for Bakh next year. He's so damaged that he's on the list of guys who are high risk when it comes to health. He might get a "look-see" from several teams as a free agent, but even then, most would cringe at giving him much more than 1/10th what his present salary is. It's too bad, because he was a pretty solid LT. He had some real talent.

I see Jones as a casualty of cap and age/health as well. He's reached what seems to be the norm in the NFL where his value is expiring. It's no longer a league where RBs are as highly valued. The main reason - I believe - is because the game has become more pass intense.

Jenkins, if he's recovered enough to contribute, would be great to be able to retain. After last week's 72 snap performance, where he never missed a down, made me feel that he's on the road to recovery. He may even return to a level where he's nearly as good as he was, before the injuries. Maybe, just maybe, as good. We can hope.

Essentially, the draft and free agency will be addressing the rest of the line issues. There needs to be money for it, so it means sacrificing any chance of signing guys like Jones to a new contract. They shouldn't kick the can down the road any longer on cap money. They need to straighten it out, and make sound decisions for the next several years as they retool for winning.

The elephant in the room is a new contract for Love. That also needs to be addressed. How much are they going to put on the table, and how much is he going to demand? This could become a tipping point on how much they can do, to improve this team on offense, and shore up spots on the defense. At least we have some decent draft capital to work with.
The one team that might be foolish enough to sign a ravaged Bahk for too high of a price are the Raiders. It is in their DNA. But you still have to dangle carrots.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw a report that the Jets will be trying to trade for D. Adams in the off season.
That's interesting. I don't think it will happen because 1) the Jets are pretty solid at WR and 2) the trade demands of LV would be prohibitive. Now if they wanna do something like the Rams, go all in on one more guy for one decent shot at a SB, then I could see them giving up a boatload of draft picks to get Adams.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Great points V and agree with all. I think they keep rebuilding as you suggest - seems like OL, S, RB, and maybe a top 10 Edge pick are in order for 2024. Maybe some of this can be had through FA, esp RB given the recent devaluation of the position. But the OL needs to return to excellent play.

As for the next Love contract, well that's gonna depend on how he finishes this year and how he plays in 2024. If he takes off, which I don't think is likely, extend him mid-season 2024. If he becomes a little more than a game manager, which is his ceiling IMO, then it's a much harder decision. If there is a lot of talent around him and the team is winning more than losing, sign him to a reasonable extension.

If the team falters badly, well then some really hard decisions have to be made, none of them good. IMO Love will not become a franchise QB. Others like Ty feel differently and I surely hope they're right.

Whoosh23

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great points V and agree with all. I think they keep rebuilding as you suggest - seems like OL, S, RB, and maybe a top 10 Edge pick are in order for 2024. Maybe some of this can be had through FA, esp RB given the recent devaluation of the position. But the OL needs to return to excellent play.

As for the next Love contract, well that's gonna depend on how he finishes this year and how he plays in 2024. If he takes off, which I don't think is likely, extend him mid-season 2024. If he becomes a little more than a game manager, which is his ceiling IMO, then it's a much harder decision. If there is a lot of talent around him and the team is winning more than losing, sign him to a reasonable extension.

If the team falters badly, well then some really hard decisions have to be made, none of them good. IMO Love will not become a franchise QB. Others like Ty feel differently and I surely hope they're right.
I like Jayden Daniels with LSU. Very intriguing prospect.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Jayden Daniels with LSU. Very intriguing prospect.
He's having a huge year. Something like 36 CDs to 4 INTs. LSU is an elite school in college football. It will be interesting to see where he gets drafted. He's "older" at 23, not necessarily a bad thing.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

IMO JL10 has ...... wait I'll post it in the Love thread, not a 3 year old DB69 one.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

FTR I’m not placing bets on him being here in 2025 - but unlike many I will adamantly argue he hasn’t proved he isn’t the future yet.

He has however IMO done enough and shown enough that 2024 is his.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Bakh missing most of the 2023 season is turning into a blessing. By showing Gute that he doesn't really have an heir to the spot on the roster, we don't waste next season with the same two players that have been so-so this season and have them hold the team back. Gute can now make a strong push in the draft or FA for an above average LT. Otherwise I feel we would have gone into next season expecting Nijman, Jones. Tenuta or Walker to be the next man up. 2023 is the development season and they just aren't quite cutting it. 2024 season should be the start of the growth towards the SB push. I wouldn't want the LT being the weak link stalling that out for another season.
I think Walker can get there, but with an off season to be ready instead of what 3 weeks to prepare for it? Nijman isn't the guy though.

Reaction score
I have LT as our top positional need. Walker is a good backup, but it’s such a vital position that having a really good one can change the dynamic of the game. If our guy is there in that top 15 or in mid Round 2 like Elgton was, I’d highly recommend addressing that.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FTR I’m not placing bets on him being here in 2025 - but unlike many I will adamantly argue he hasn’t proved he isn’t the future yet.

He has however IMO done enough and shown enough that 2024 is his.
Well Love certainly played well against the Lions. There has been steady improvement and it all showed yesterday.

Maybe a lot of very young guys can learn to play well in the NFL. I'll be happy to admit I was wrong about Love. Hope he keeps getting better. Still a long road but it has to start somewhere.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have LT as our top positional need. Walker is a good backup, but it’s such a vital position that having a really good one can change the dynamic of the game. If our guy is there in that top 15 or in mid Round 2 like Elgton was, I’d highly recommend addressing that.
Now at picking at 13, the best LT on the board at that spot would probably be Latham out of AL.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now at picking at 13, the best LT on the board at that spot would probably be Latham out of AL.

Safe assumption is Fashanu is for sure gone.

Then it depends on boards...most would say Alt is for sure gone but I wouldn't lock a second tackle in definitively as the OT2 for all teams...but you have:

Alt
JC Latham
Graham Barton
Jordan Morgan
Troy Fautanu
Patrick Paul

Those are likely the bucket of top shelf LTs in this draft.

Some very good RTs exist however, which I agree with many unless we want to move Tom inside is a position we will NOT be looking towards unless we desire to take a RT and slide him inside to RG in which case I think the strongest options body wise are just Fuaga and SUamataia (RT in 2022 and LT in 2023) as no other RT has near Top 40 prospect ranking for me that I would want to slide in...Mims and Guyton are RT's all day...

Personally my LT board is Fashanu - Morgan - Alt - Latham - Barton - Fautanu....but I only currently show the first three as clear top 32 prospects, while Latham I have a 1st/2nd grading on and he is actually just out of the top 40 for me.

Either way if we are at 13, very good chance of Gute having the choice along the OL of LT3, RT1, OG1 and OC1 if he would want.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO - Unless you need a QB, you identify your top three positions of need. When it gets to your pick in the first round you pick the BPA at one of those positions of need. The only exception that I would make would be is if there is a BPA of such incredible value (like when Rodgers was available) that you scrap all of your plans.

We definitely need a LT, a RT (move Tom to guard), an ILB, and a Safety. I know...I picked four.

Reaction score
Shouldn't all this draft talk be somewhere else? Like the draft room maybe.
I said I wanted to replace Bak with a draft pick. I started the wormhole,
How was I to know posters would be so loyal and piggy back on my failure

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem is as we drop and get closer to the playoffs we're closing to be able to draft that stud ILB or S that we need for this team, than we are to get a Stud LT.

Reaction score
The problem is as we drop and get closer to the playoffs we're closing to be able to draft that stud ILB or S that we need for this team, than we are to get a Stud LT.
Yes and it’s a premium position, so the best ones go slightly higher than the board. However, drafting one even as late as Round 2 still likely gets us an immediate upgrade over Walker. No Offense to Walker as he’s decent for a 7th Rounder.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes and it’s a premium position, so the best ones go slightly higher than the board. However, drafting one even as late as Round 2 still likely gets us an immediate upgrade over Walker. No Offense to Walker as he’s decent for a 7th Rounder.
I agree on some of what you're saying...the parts about Walker specifically. Remember the guy we're replacing was a Day 3 guy, we don't have to rush and waste a 2 on a 'can't miss' that misses. We can go into Day 3 and get an upgrade from what we have.