Charlie Peprah - Should We Be Worried?

Future12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes I know he played well last season, but today against the Bears I thought his play was very mediocre. He let up a lot of big plays today.

Now I know it's been rumored and discussed, but should the Packers seriously look to bring in Darren Sharper just in case? Or someone else even.

I just want some insurance. If Peprah continues to struggle, who will step in?

Chop0Suey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Peprah will be okay. And certainly better than anyone we'd be able to find in free agency. Heck, I think they'd even prefer to put Bush at safety over anyone on the street. At least until they get into football shape and get the hang of the D.

And please, no Darren Sharper. I don't think he'd bring much to this team.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I happen to be a big proponent of Peprah's. If Collins had to go down, I'm perfectly happy with Peprah having our back. I really do miss Collins, though. Especially today.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. Its one game. Like you said he played last season. Everyone has ups and downs.

And sharper would be the last thing Capers wants. Such a liability.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I happen to be a big proponent of Peprah's. If Collins had to go down, I'm perfectly happy with Peprah having our back. I really do miss Collins, though. Especially today.
Absolutely Kitten. I'm confused as to why people think Peprah is a liability? No question Charlie Peprah at this point is better than a washed=up Darren Sharper. The only possible reason I think the Packers would look at a Sharper is if they didn't have confidence in MDJ. We're not going to see Sharper.
Outside of injury, Charlie's our guy and he'll do well.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely Kitten. I'm confused as to why people think Peprah is a liability? No question Charlie Peprah at this point is better than a washed=up Darren Sharper. The only possible reason I think the Packers would look at a Sharper is if they didn't have confidence in MDJ. We're not going to see Sharper.
Outside of injury, Charlie's our guy and he'll do well.

I agree. I think some may be comparing him with Collins. Peprah is no Collins but he is no weak safety either. He gets the job done.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I agree. I think some may be comparing him with Collins. Peprah is no Collins but he is no weak safety either. He gets the job done.
It's part and parcel of why the Packers are the champions. Nobody in the league is as deep as our team. Peprah was good filling in for Burnett last year and he'll be good filling in for Nick. He was neither player, but he was and will be good enough. Charlie Peprah would start on a good number of teams in the NFL.

Reaction score
Burnett has got that ball hawking swag and I like it. Peprah is a good fill in for Collins because he is built just like Collins although he doesn't have Collins' experience. I trust Charlie will get better as the season goes along. Pretty soon defenses are going to want to avoid throwing in Burnett's direction so they will be coming to Peprah's side...he just has to stay ready.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
There are no safeties or DB currently on the UFA wire who are better than what we have. The most any of them could be is insurance in case of more injuries.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think the reason some view Peprah as a liability is his lack of range, particularly compared to Collins and Burnett. That's why Capers had Woodson replace him in the base D on occasion vs. the Bears. One of the things that makes Collins so special is his incredible speed at the safety position - that's a huge luxury for a DC to have. I was really looking forward to Collins and Burnett at safety this year because while Burnett is not quite as fast as Collins, he's close. Both are much faster than the average player playing SS (Burnett) and FS (Collins) in the league. The knock on Burnett last year was he wasn't "laying the wood" or being physical on tackles as you'd expect a SS to be. He improved on that big time this season so Capers was going to have an incredible D backfield at his disposal this season. Yes, early on even when healthy they weren't playing great but if Shields returns to how he was playing late last season, a D backfield of Williams, Woodson, Shields, Collins and Burnett was going to be very, very special IMO. After seeing Burnett's range on that INT in Chicago, just imagine pairing him with a faster playmaking safety like Collins! Anyway I just had to vent about what could have been but it was not to be this year. Just hope Collins completely heals and gets back next season.

Of course they can still be special. Shields does have to improve - I was hoping he'd improve on his play last year but so far he has to attain that level first. I am hoping Thompson found another gem for the D backfield in House and if he can get - and stay - healthy, and get acclimated to the D he could take Bush's spot in the dime. Or he could provide another cover CB so against prolific passing offenses, Woodson could man the safety spot next to Burnett if Peprah is being exploited.

But it's still early. Like the rest of the team, it matters a lot more how they are playing at the end of the season than they are now and that's a long way away. Their incredible start - likely to be 4-0 Sunday night - isn't a guarantee of a playoff spot, but its close. Their D backfield has a lot of time to gel…

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am concerned after Sunday's game. He badly missed some key tackles and seemed to either take bad angles or be far to slow to the spot he needed to be. He was far better last year so I hope he was just getting adjusted to game speed.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should we be worried? Absolutely not.

Peprah is the same as last year: a good player that's a liability playing deep. The tackles problem is happening to every single defender in this league, is because of the shortened offseason and the lack of two-a-days, and will get solved as the season goes on.

He was explored last year and will continue to do so, when playing deep. It's up to Capers to protect him in the coverage, as he did last year.

The real question is, do you trust Capers is able to do that?
I do.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He played a very important role for a superbowl winning team. Sure he may have gotten turned around once or twice in his first week starting this year at a new position. Give him a few weeks to really settle in and him and the rest of the secondary to really get the idea of where eachother are going to be at any given moment and the kinks will work themselves out.