Biggest Weakness Of 2011 Packers

Reaction score
I agree to some extent. I agree that we shouldn't play over conservatively and keep punting the ball; however, I don't want the packers slinging the ball every down with a 14 point lead in the 4th quarter. I don't want them slinging the ball around because turnovers can happen much easier in the pass game.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Never satisfied.

What if we did start letting our feet off the gas and start going for it every 4th down and not getting it?

Sean Payton loves to push it on a 4th down play when his offense is driving, but does it always help him? Nope! He has lost some 4th down plays that came back to haunt the Saints when coming from behind.

Bill Belichek over the years has been going for it on 4th down more and more and I don't see it helping him every time. One good example - 2009 Colts game. Bill goes for it more because he knows his defense sucks at stopping the pass.

I know some are not happy with our passing defense, but I don't see McCarthy wanting to go for it every time. Our defense was one of the best last season, and they will get it together. We have the Number 1 ranked rush defense, that's something.

As for us "running the ball more" just think if we were putting the ball in the air 40-50 times a game like so many teams that can't run the ball. It would be more pressure on Rodgers to win games. I think running the ball so far in the season has helped us. If we weren't running the ball, people would be saying the same thing from last season that we don't have a running game.

Until we lose a game, we don't know what our real weakness is yet.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
From what I have been seeing the biggest weakness of the 2011 packers are the fans. We are 3 weeks into a season with an unprecedented off season. We are 3-0 and everyone wants to pick at every mistake we make.

We have the talent, We have the coaching, we are still tweaking the execution just as every other team in the NFL is right now. In week 6 or 8 we can start talking about weaknesses. Right now we are only talking about mental and execution errors, not weaknesses.

cheeseheadfanatic87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be honest I don't really agree with the writer-- I mean it's never good to let your opponent around. But do you really want to see the Packers blowing each and every opponent out? This could actually be a strength for them. I often look at the 2007 Patriots, and believe that they we're indeed the better team than the Giants. Not trying to take credit away from the Giants but they we're the best team that year(Patriots), the Giants we're just the better team that day for 3 hours.

I mean the Patriots blew a lot of opponents out in 2007 en route to an undefeated 16-0 record. I feel as if the Week 2 game against the Panthers was just what the Packers needed-- to get them back to reality, that any team can beat you on any given day. I don't necessarily look at it as a weakness. Sometimes these sports writers are ridiculous, I mean they try to nit pick the champions, and you just have to ignore it.

That's why I don't like hearing "defending Super Bowl champions", or the "Champs" I've heard it many times this season. They aren't defending a title-- they already got the 4th Lombardi Trophy no one is taking it away. They are not the "Champs". This is the 2011 regular season, and not the 2010 regular season.

I'd take anything these sports writer with a grain of salt. It's a whole new season, and everybody including sports writers are going to be taking shots at the Packers.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never satisfied.

What if we did start letting our feet off the gas and start going for it every 4th down and not getting it?

Sean Payton loves to push it on a 4th down play when his offense is driving, but does it always help him? Nope! He has lost some 4th down plays that came back to haunt the Saints when coming from behind.

Bill Belichek over the years has been going for it on 4th down more and more and I don't see it helping him every time. One good example - 2009 Colts game. Bill goes for it more because he knows his defense sucks at stopping the pass.

I know some are not happy with our passing defense, but I don't see McCarthy wanting to go for it every time. Our defense was one of the best last season, and they will get it together. We have the Number 1 ranked rush defense, that's something.

As for us "running the ball more" just think if we were putting the ball in the air 40-50 times a game like so many teams that can't run the ball. It would be more pressure on Rodgers to win games. I think running the ball so far in the season has helped us. If we weren't running the ball, people would be saying the same thing from last season that we don't have a running game.

Until we lose a game, we don't know what our real weakness is yet.

Don't forget ATL. Man, they hate punting it!

And in retrospect, we coulda cleaned NO's clock if we played a lot more aggressively, but yes... we took our foot off the gas.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep 3-0 makes it hard to complain but, if there was one thing I would want to see this team do more consistently is get that "dagger" before having to recover an onsides kick or something along those lines.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we have one of the strongest teams I've ever seen. But if there is one area of weakness I will still say it's special teams. Even they have gotten better from last year but if it's one think that keeps the team from being 100%, it's them.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everybody's a critic.
It's real easy for us, the casual fans who just sit there and watch the game either in person or especially on TV to use our 20/20 hindsight and say "Why don't they do this?" and "Man, they should do that!"
I believe, even though I have never played or coached in one NFL game, that it is a lot tougher than it looks.
A lot tougher. Don't believe me? Then you try being the quarterback even for just one play.
Those guys are pros who have been playing their whole life and are much, much more prepared than any of us who think we know what they should do. Even the losing quarterback on the worst team.
Only they know what they are truly capable of in every single play as it happens.
Guys get covered downfield that they can't throw to.Here comes the rush! My only open receiver is running the wrong route! Etc etc...
Of course, Brett Favre didn't care. He just put it out there having fun and hoping for a miracle. (Damn! Pick 6 again? Well golly gee! Sorry about that coach. Maybe it won't happen again.)
Rodgers is more careful.
With only two weeks to prepare, the Packers just didn't have that much time to get it all together.
But for a team with only two weeks to prepare, they are 3-0. Why can't everyone just be satisfied with that?
I really don't care what the final score is, even if it's just 2-0 as long as it's the Pack who has the 2 points.
These guys are doing their best. And yet, for some, this best isn't good enough. (Shakes head.)

Sorry for the rant. I am just sick and tired of reading folks being unsatisfied with a 3-0 team.
Which I think is dumb.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everybody's a critic.
It's real easy for us, the casual fans who just sit there and watch the game either in person or especially on TV to use our 20/20 hindsight and say "Why don't they do this?" and "Man, they should do that!"
I believe, even though I have never played or coached in one NFL game, that it is a lot tougher than it looks.
A lot tougher. Don't believe me? Then you try being the quarterback even for just one play.
Those guys are pros who have been playing their whole life and are much, much more prepared than any of us who think we know what they should do. Even the losing quarterback on the worst team.
Only they know what they are truly capable of in every single play as it happens.
Guys get covered downfield that they can't throw to.Here comes the rush! My only open receiver is running the wrong route! Etc etc...
Of course, Brett Favre didn't care. He just put it out there having fun and hoping for a miracle. (Damn! Pick 6 again? Well golly gee! Sorry about that coach. Maybe it won't happen again.)
Rodgers is more careful.
With only two weeks to prepare, the Packers just didn't have that much time to get it all together.
But for a team with only two weeks to prepare, they are 3-0. Why can't everyone just be satisfied with that?
I really don't care what the final score is, even if it's just 2-0 as long as it's the Pack who has the 2 points.
These guys are doing their best. And yet, for some, this best isn't good enough. (Shakes head.)

Sorry for the rant. I am just sick and tired of reading folks being unsatisfied with a 3-0 team.
Which I think is dumb.

The pass rush is rushed, Starks ran the wrong way, Peprah got peppered, the Alien ate the Predator, Bears are pulling tricks with our heads, and our head couch is running us into a brick wall.

Meanwhile the team is 3-0, with, as you stated, 2 weeks of preparation time. I would say we are doing pretty dang good.

But here is the thing to remember about a forum. You are dealing with all sorts of different people. Some are sunshine and some are rain, and the earth needs BOTH to survive. I may be such a Kitten that prefers basking in the sunlight but I would be so lost in boredom without my other half. We are two halves of the same whole and I think we all need to have some understanding and respect for one another's views. We are all Packers fans, we don't love our team any less even if we criticize them as opposed to loving unconditionally. This is what makes this forum so good, real debate and discussions. Not just a somebody saying something and a chorus of people shouting out their concurrences. I love everyone on here, even when we disagree strongly. There is love and respect there too.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The pass rush is rushed, Starks ran the wrong way, Peprah got peppered, the Alien ate the Predator, Bears are pulling tricks with our heads, and our head couch is running us into a brick wall.

Meanwhile the team is 3-0, with, as you stated, 2 weeks of preparation time. I would say we are doing pretty dang good.

But here is the thing to remember about a forum. You are dealing with all sorts of different people. Some are sunshine and some are rain, and the earth needs BOTH to survive. I may be such a Kitten that prefers basking in the sunlight but I would be so lost in boredom without my other half. We are two halves of the same whole and I think we all need to have some understanding and respect for one another's views. We are all Packers fans, we don't love our team any less even if we criticize them as opposed to loving unconditionally. This is what makes this forum so good, real debate and discussions. Not just a somebody saying something and a chorus of people shouting out their concurrences. I love everyone on here, even when we disagree strongly. There is love and respect there too.
I love reading what you write!
You have a very nice way with words.
And I agree with your post. Your viewpoints are accurate and accepted.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love reading what you write!
You have a very nice way with words.
And I agree with your post. Your viewpoints are accurate and accepted.

Thanks for that! I was not directing that at you in the form of a rant, just so you know! :) I just noticed some things going on here, kind of an undercurrent. I think this forum has some of the best, knowledgeable and passionate fans I have ever met and I wanted to express what I feel in my heart. Thinks have tendency to get out of hand rather quickly than we can ever realize and I say for the sake of the Packer family, may we love one another regardless of how we see this team. Our love for the Packers is stronger, our green and gold blood the same.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this team has any weakness, it's the pass rush.

The other areas, coverage, tackling, it will improve. Pass rush shouldn't be as lacking, even without OTAs and minicamp.

Still, when I say "lacking", I mean "it's not as dominant as the other areas on the team".

Because this is the most talented team in all american sports, and the second most talented team in all sports, just behind of Barcelona.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think what this article is illustrating is the Packers weakness is lack of killer instinct. McCarthy seems to go into an offensive shell just when he should be flooring it. For one, I totally agree, and this has been my largest gripe of MM since he became head coach.
Is he doing this so that teams don't begin to dislike the Packers team due to lack of sportsmanship? I will say this - if that is Mike Holmgren coaching this team, the opposing team's throat would be stepped on.
I like what the cat had to say about the ST too. It's both that bother me. 50/50. Slocumb universally, and MM with a ten point lead.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this team has any weakness, it's the pass rush.

The other areas, coverage, tackling, it will improve. Pass rush shouldn't be as lacking, even without OTAs and minicamp.

Still, when I say "lacking", I mean "it's not as dominant as the other areas on the team".

Because this is the most talented team in all american sports, and the second most talented team in all sports, just behind of Barcelona.

Not according to the ESPY's.... argh! I was urked!

Members online

Latest posts