Bad NFL reffing

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched a replay of yesterdays game today on DVR. I was looking at the play when Bubba reach for the first down. Not only did the ref place the ball in the wrong place, after the review he still got the ball placement wrong. It was obvious that Bubba was at least a yard beyond where they placed the ball. The other thing that I noticed was the lack of a whistle after a play was dead and all of the extra curricular stuff that went on after many plays, and that includes obvious late hits. Now I know this job is difficult, but do any of you believe that it's time for the NFL to use professional refs rather than weekend refs?

mateus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched a replay of yesterdays game today on DVR. I was looking at the play when Bubba reach for the first down. Not only did the ref place the ball in the wrong place, after the review he still got the ball placement wrong. It was obvious that Bubba was at least a yard beyond where they placed the ball. The other thing that I noticed was the lack of a whistle after a play was dead and all of the extra curricular stuff that went on after many plays, and that includes obvious late hits. Now I know this job is difficult, but do any of you believe that it's time for the NFL to use professional refs rather than weekend refs?
as in an NFL reffing association?
the game was a little off reffed but none the less, the games entertainment value wasnt completly ruined by it.
so you can look at it one way and say that the game was badly reffed...or that it was highly entertaining...meh, i guess im a fence sitter on this one!

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
the game was a little off reffed but none the less, the games entertainment value wasnt completly ruined by it.
so you can look at it one way and say that the game was badly reffed...or that it was highly entertaining...meh, i guess im a fence sitter on this one!

It was a great game, no doubt, it just seems as if this year the reffing around the league has been awful. Placing the ball in the right spot shouldn't be that hard. As a matter of fact the ref that was on top of the play placed his foot where the ball should have been placed. The ref coming in from the side placed the ball in the wrong spot and then the head ref after looking at the film got it wrong too. All the replays showed exactly where the ball should have been placed. I have no clue how he could have missed that.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish I could remember the usual arguments against full time refs, but I'm blanking. I'm all for full-timers.
Go Giants.

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember when we went to instant replay. One of the concerns was that there were just too many blown calls. So they go to instand replay and I think for the most part it has worked, but it also slows the game down. There aren't any guarantees that full time refs would be a lot better, but I can't help but believe that full time refs who went back and looked at replays of their game and saw the mistakes they made, would be better the next game. For example on the Bubba play, the first ref that was on top of the play had the ball placement right, it was the ref who came in and moved the ball back that was wrong. I believe he was behind the play and couldn't see where the ball came down. He should have defered to the first ref who was on top of the play.

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The other thing that I noticed in the replay is how many missed tackles we had, particularly from Barnett and Collins. I'm not saying it was terrible, but neither of them tackle like Bigby. Wow, that guy just flat out hits.

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, God awful. Two other huge misses I recall... On our third drive Donald Lee caught a pass on first down at the 11 yard line and was immediately knocked back and got swarm tackled at the 15. The side judge came running in at the 11 but saw one of the other officials marking it at the 15 so he moved back as well. Evidently, they completely forgot about forward progress because they ****** up that spot by 4 yards. Thankfully it didn't matter because Favre hit Jennings for a TD on the next play. The second big screw up I remember was on the pass Hassleback threw backwards. They let it play out like a fumble and no one recovered it though it went out of bounds about 10 yards back. They then ruled it an incomplete pass because his arm was moving forward. But a backwards pass (which after watching it twice it looks clearly like a backwards pass to me) is a lateral which is a live ball if it isn't caught which means Seattle should have had the ball 10 yards back. Long story short, during the game I said to myself about three times that I don't recall the last time officiating has been that poor.

mateus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mateus said:
packedhouse01 said:

It was a great game, no doubt, it just seems as if this year the reffing around the league has been awful. Placing the ball in the right spot shouldn't be that hard. As a matter of fact the ref that was on top of the play placed his foot where the ball should have been placed. The ref coming in from the side placed the ball in the wrong spot and then the head ref after looking at the film got it wrong too. All the replays showed exactly where the ball should have been placed. I have no clue how he could have missed that.
"there was snow i tell you! snow! how could anyone reff in those conditions! quick, call my agent!" :lol:

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then there was the cheap shot on Grant where the guy hit him several yards after he was out of bounds. I coulnd't believe there was no personal foul called on that play. Then later in the game they call a personal foul on Seattle for hitting Favre late and that too was a weak call.

It doesn't seem to matter which game you watch or which crew is officiating, you just find more and more circumstances every week where obviously bad calls are made. The reffing didn't interfere with the outcome of this game, but it has in other games and that's not the way the game should be. I'm surprised that ownership hasn't pushed for this. I'm even more surprised that the players union hasn't pushed for this.

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a good question, but I believe I'd start with rigorous study of tape, much like each team does. Reviewing where a ref lines up, who is responsible for what plays, studying and interpreting rules, even practicing replay reviews. I just see mistakes being made by these guys that are or could be game altering.

kewlbeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
. So they go to instand replay and I think for the most part it has worked, but it also slows the game down.

Each team is allowed 2 challenges per game. The official must make a decision within 90 seconds of entering the replay booth. That comes out to 6 minutes total for 4 challenges ( the average NFL game probably doesn't even have 4 challenges) .

Now when I sit and watch a football games for 3 hours, I have no problem watching for a 10 more minutes to make sure a few calls get called correctly. I know you're not saying replay is a bad thing because of the delays, but to me, the small delays aren't an issue at all.

shanks2122

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mi_keys i saw that forward progress too on donald lee i was goin nuts and evryone was tellin me to settle down until they saw the replay luckily farve threw the check off touchdown on the next play cause i was about ready to throw people outta my house

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
. So they go to instand replay and I think for the most part it has worked, but it also slows the game down.

Each team is allowed 2 challenges per game. The official must make a decision within 90 seconds of entering the replay booth. That comes out to 6 minutes total for 4 challenges ( the average NFL game probably doesn't even have 4 challenges) .

Now when I sit and watch a football games for 3 hours, I have no problem watching for a 10 more minutes to make sure a few calls get called correctly. I know you're not saying replay is a bad thing because of the delays, but to me, the small delays aren't an issue at all.

It's not about the time it takes on replay review, it's about the obvious mistakes that refs make in every game. The quality of reffing hasn't gotten better through the years, as a matter of fact, it's probably worse.

axelred13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish I could remember the usual arguments against full time refs, but I'm blanking. I'm all for full-timers.
Go Giants.

If I remember right, refs have to make a certain amount of money in a "second" job so they can't be "bought". Therefore, with the second job, they wouldn't have time to be full-time.

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Chargers are getting absolutely F**ked by the Zebras.

No excuse for the **** I am seeing in this one.

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i also noticed during the game that after several plays the ref spotted us a yard short of where it should have been spotted.

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was almost comical how the ref came running towards the ball where Franks stretched out. The ball obviously did not move, nor did Franks stretch out after he was down. The ref runs in, picks up the ball and places it a foot back from where it was. I couldn't believe my eyes.

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Chargers are getting absolutely F**ked by the Zebras.

No excuse for the **** I am seeing in this one.

It is hard to complain about the Pack's treatment when we saw crap like that today. No Tomlinson, No Gates (well almost), No Rivers and the Refs in your pocket and Indy still can't win. Somtimes I swear Peyton is cursed.

PhotoHawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is something the NFL can not only afford, but NEEDS to do! They NEED to be full time Refs and get paid for it, trained Etc. The calls would get so much better if they were full time.

Any game you watch you're gonna see bad calls, everyone tends to see more for their team of course. Yesterday's game there were bad calls both ways (not that yesterday game was decided by bad calls because it was not).